Author Topic: must... resist... topre  (Read 42015 times)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: must... resist... topre
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 00:30:32 »
One thing I have to admit about the HHKB is the thock sound. That is mesmerising and is really a mark of the board much like the distinct engine identifying a Harley Davidson. Is this a HHKB thing or it's a topre thing? And if it's such a unique sound, why do people want a Type S to silence it?

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 00:32:16 »
One thing I have to admit about the HHKB is the thock sound. That is mesmerising and is really a mark of the board much like the distinct engine identifying a Harley Davidson. Is this a HHKB thing or it's a topre thing? And if it's such a unique sound, why do people want a Type S to silence it?
topre thing
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 00:45:16 »
I want a Realforce 87u real bad. Can someone confirm is it louder then browns at 45 ? 55? what about red orings on browns? do i have to do a silence mod? what is the silence mod that comes w silenced version? is it just pads or bands? i want either all 45 or all 55 and as quiet or quieter then my browns w red orings.. ive posted in other places noone can help so far. Thanks!

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 01:11:29 »

It's a topre thing, but I think it's a lot more pronounced on the HHKB because of the case mounted switches.

I want a Realforce 87u real bad. Can someone confirm is it louder then browns at 45 ? 55? what about red orings on browns? do i have to do a silence mod? what is the silence mod that comes w silenced version? is it just pads or bands? i want either all 45 or all 55 and as quiet or quieter then my browns w red orings.. ive posted in other places noone can help so far. Thanks!

I think non silenced topre, plate mount especially, is quieter than tactile MX switches.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 01:30:52 »

It's a topre thing, but I think it's a lot more pronounced on the HHKB because of the case mounted switches.

I think non silenced topre, plate mount especially, is quieter than tactile MX switches.

Sweet!  :) Thanks.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:38:40 »
I want a Realforce 87u real bad. Can someone confirm is it louder then browns at 45 ? 55?

I imagine that they're relatively similar in sound level, but Realforce keyboards have a deep, muffled sound from the domes, while MX switches have a high pitch, sharp sound that's a lot more distracting. Realforce keyboards sound more "keyboard-like" for people accustomed to domes, so they can't really complain about a keyboard that sounds like a "normal keyboard" unless you're the only person who isn't on scissor :) (In which case, you need a Matias Quiet Pro to blend in)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:53:28 »
I want a Realforce 87u real bad. Can someone confirm is it louder then browns at 45 ? 55?

I imagine that they're relatively similar in sound level, but Realforce keyboards have a deep, muffled sound from the domes, while MX switches have a high pitch, sharp sound that's a lot more distracting. Realforce keyboards sound more "keyboard-like" for people accustomed to domes, so they can't really complain about a keyboard that sounds like a "normal keyboard" unless you're the only person who isn't on scissor :) (In which case, you need a Matias Quiet Pro to blend in)

Awesome :) Thank You!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:08:09 »
It also depends, to a certain extent, on desk surface and room accoustics.

My HHKB does not really sound much like the videos you find on YouTube, for example.

But it does sound nice, and nothing like MX or BS.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 03:09:39 »
See, if it sound like any other keyboard, then why pay so much for a Topre Realforce? It's the same as what I was driving at above. Like the Harley's engine, you need that distinct thock sound to tell people you are using a Topre!

I am not sure I wanted any other thing except for HHKB :D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 04:01:04 »

My HHKB does not really sound much like the videos you find on YouTube, for example.

See, if it sound like any other keyboard, then why pay so much for a Topre Realforce? It's the same as what I was driving at above. Like the Harley's engine, you need that distinct thock sound to tell people you are using a Topre!

Guys I love the HHKB but I use arrows too much and dont want them crammed in either so you think ill enjoy a realforce as much as hhkb? 55 or 45? Thanks :)

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 04:51:24 »

Guys I love the HHKB but I use arrows too much and dont want them crammed in either so you think ill enjoy a realforce as much as hhkb? 55 or 45? Thanks :)

I think from memory HHKB are 45g, so if you want Realorce to somewhat feel like HHKB Pro then you need the 45g variants.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:28:07 »
Just wondering is it possible to mod the HHKB pro 2 to the level and sound of the type s without taking away the feel of regular topre? And is there any guides on how to do so?

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:30:56 »
my hhkb comes mail tomorrow (white, blank caps)
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Polymer

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:58:56 »

I don't think they're nearly as loud as Cherry MX...Stock RF is more like Cherry MX with o-rings IMO.  As I type with them side by side, that's what I think anyways. 

Silenced/Type-S Topre will be even less so. 

There are plenty of videos on youtube...you can just use that as a comparison..

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 08:12:22 »
I think Topre is quieter unless you are not bottoming out on a non clicky MX switch.  If I float on my Reds than its also very quiet.  The Topre has the wonderful muted Thock to it when bottoming out and just has the keycap rattle on the upstroke.  There are homemade mods to quiet the upstroke similar to a Type S. There are a couple threads here that show the process. 

I have tried o-rings and they do quiet the bottoming out of a MX a ton but I didnt like the feel or sound so pulled them off after a week. 
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 15:08:25 »

Why not FC660C?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 15:27:19 »

Why not FC660C?

I was actually looking at getting that + the Leopold numberpad.. it looks like just the shift key is smaller and no right ctrl no funtions but can use them secondary..
Whats nice is i hit numlock off, I can use the arrows on the numberpad.. so i could get a HHKB and leopold numpad and still have the arrows.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:03:08 by dustinhxc »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:13:08 »

Why not FC660C?

I was actually looking at getting that + the Leopold numberpad.. it looks like just the shift key is smaller and no right ctrl no funtions but can use them secondary..
Whats nice is i hit numlock off, I can use the arrows on the numberpad.. so i could get a HHKB and leopold numpad and still have the arrows.

Leopold numpad?!?  Why not 23U (or even 23UB)?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:20:35 »

Why not FC660C?

Leopold numpad?!?  Why not 23U (or even 23UB)?

Elite confirmed it today, even the U is discontinued. So now white or black are rare.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:52:30 »
Just wondering is it possible to mod the HHKB pro 2 to the level and sound of the type s without taking away the feel of regular topre? And is there any guides on how to do so?

Yes. Here---> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44692.0

They do mention that there is a slight change in resistance a few replies in.
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:14:34 »
I don't think they're nearly as loud as Cherry MX...Stock RF is more like Cherry MX with o-rings IMO.

Sound is horribly complicated — you'd need to record each one with AGC off at every stage of the input process and compare the results in audiospectrographometers/cardinal grammeters. Good topic for someone; I recorded a load of keyboards and every one came out exactly the same perceptual volume, so there clearly are differences that AGC removes. I didn't have my Topre at the time, so that wasn't included in the batch.

The problem with "mechanical" switches is that they typically make an exceptionally sharp sound on bottoming out. It's reduced somewhat on PCB mount but still there. For me anyway, it's that sharp noise that's far more apparent than a rubber dome keyboard. Also, though, I find that there's a lot of shaft motion noise and play rattle in MX switches that's absent from Topres, where the only stray noise is the return stop.
Bore Awards

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:54:13 »
I don't think they're nearly as loud as Cherry MX...Stock RF is more like Cherry MX with o-rings IMO.

Sound is horribly complicated — you'd need to record each one with AGC off at every stage of the input process and compare the results in audiospectrographometers/cardinal grammeters. Good topic for someone; I recorded a load of keyboards and every one came out exactly the same perceptual volume, so there clearly are differences that AGC removes. I didn't have my Topre at the time, so that wasn't included in the batch.

The problem with "mechanical" switches is that they typically make an exceptionally sharp sound on bottoming out. It's reduced somewhat on PCB mount but still there. For me anyway, it's that sharp noise that's far more apparent than a rubber dome keyboard. Also, though, I find that there's a lot of shaft motion noise and play rattle in MX switches that's absent from Topres, where the only stray noise is the return stop.

And this return noise can be dampened considerably. Did you see how I do it?
  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.msg1056220#msg1056220

A video showing the clear difference (top two rows are silenced, the rest of the keyboard is not):
  http://www.chesstiger.com/images/keyboards/Silenced_FC660C.mp4

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 14:58:47 »
Oh, I wouldn't dampen my Topre, I like it as it is :)
Bore Awards

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:25:39 »
I lost the losing battle and made the purchase today. Will update when it's arrived.

Congrats! My work Realforce 87u silent will be picked up by me on the way to work on Friday! Can't wait for Topre part deux!

Official review: It's in. I love it. Awesome work day. That is all.
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:57:24 »
I lost the losing battle and made the purchase today. Will update when it's arrived.

Congrats! My work Realforce 87u silent will be picked up by me on the way to work on Friday! Can't wait for Topre part deux!

Yes, one of the most comfortable TKL out there.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 17:10:05 »

Congratulations - money well spent :)

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 18:12:21 »

Congratulations - money well spent :)

Thanks man. Agreed. It's nice not having to cart my hhkb back and forth... now I need to find someone whose sick of topre to sell me their black tenkey pad and they'll have to kick me out of the office.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 19:39:43 »
I have been using a FC660C as one of my daily drivers for a couple weeks now.  I have to say that the some of my favorite things about this board are not actually topre related.  I find the arrow cluster to be pretty close to perfect for me.  I love the way the ~ is handled on this 60%.  This board feels solid and is a pleasure to type on, however I am not finding topre to be the ultimate typing experience for me.  I go to the office some days and actually look forward to my browns because they still make me happy.  I like a really light key, but with a tactile bump.  I am finding 45g topre to be little heavier than I like.  It is possible that a topre board will break in really nice, but right now it is a little heavier than I find comfortable.  It may not even be that they are heavy as much that I can't stop from bottoming out on them and I think I am finding the jarring from that to be fatiguing for my hands.

Once I build a 60% or 75% MX board, we will see which one stays as my daily driver at home.  I have to admit.  When I had the topre next to the mx switches, I always chose topre.  I think that might have had something to do with it being new.  I actually took my browns to work in order to guarantee time on them.  The feel of the switch is hard to describe, but it really is an amazing experience.  I just have a hard time with it for long stretches.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #278 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:39:13 »
I've read a bit about lubing Topre switches and it seems like some users have wandered down that road before. Lubing does tend to reduce some weight on the keys, maybe this should be a mini project for you? You can hunt down some 30g domes and swap the stock 45g domes on the FC660C out. khaangaaroo has done a complete 30g silent mod on the FC660C before, not sure if he still has some domes left but you should try contacting him.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:47:27 »
I've read a bit about lubing Topre switches and it seems like some users have wandered down that road before. Lubing does tend to reduce some weight on the keys, maybe this should be a mini project for you? You can hunt down some 30g domes and swap the stock 45g domes on the FC660C out. khaangaaroo has done a complete 30g silent mod on the FC660C before, not sure if he still has some domes left but you should try contacting him.

Those are interesting ideas that I will want to follow up on.  I do like how they feel in theory.  I think either of those approaches would probably get me closer to my ideal feel.  Thanks for the feedback...

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:09:16 »
topre thing

To each their own really. I have explained my own reasons in wanting a Type-S over a non Type-S in my own thread and hence I would see that would be more suitable for me.

Harley maybe seen as a noise pollution, just as those who deliberately put big mufflers on a relatively stock car, just as those who play loud music whilst zooming by your house at the middle of the night so that you could hear the music they are playing, etc. It may seem wrong in one sense but it still boils down to personal preferences.

I am also sure more or less the same reasoning that goes with the various people with other keyboard switches silenced or not, and/or manufacturer tuned silencing or not.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:20:57 »

Harley maybe seen as a noise pollution, just as those who deliberately put big mufflers on a relatively stock car, just as those who play loud music whilst zooming by your house at the middle of the night so that you could hear the music they are playing, etc.
[/quote]

shady palm trees lol. I enjoy both my non-silenced HHKB and silenced Realforce 87u. The HHKB is my preferred sound so far, but the Realforce is perfect for being at the office. I could see it transitioning to my overall favorite Topre with more time under the keys.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:21:58 »
Trying to correct my lack of quotations in my previous post. But I'm 1 1/2 bottles of nice red wine in and... well... I probably just need to sign off the computer :(

-cheers-
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:24:37 by unicomp_uc »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:23:02 »
I love Harleys!  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 01:39:49 »
I have been using a FC660C as one of my daily drivers for a couple weeks now.  I have to say that the some of my favorite things about this board are not actually topre related.  I find the arrow cluster to be pretty close to perfect for me.  I love the way the ~ is handled on this 60%.  This board feels solid and is a pleasure to type on, however I am not finding topre to be the ultimate typing experience for me.  I go to the office some days and actually look forward to my browns because they still make me happy.  I like a really light key, but with a tactile bump.  I am finding 45g topre to be little heavier than I like.  It is possible that a topre board will break in really nice, but right now it is a little heavier than I find comfortable.  It may not even be that they are heavy as much that I can't stop from bottoming out on them and I think I am finding the jarring from that to be fatiguing for my hands.

Once I build a 60% or 75% MX board, we will see which one stays as my daily driver at home.  I have to admit.  When I had the topre next to the mx switches, I always chose topre.  I think that might have had something to do with it being new.  I actually took my browns to work in order to guarantee time on them.  The feel of the switch is hard to describe, but it really is an amazing experience.  I just have a hard time with it for long stretches.

Perhaps you would like FC660M with MX browns?

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 03:19:33 »
Do you guys think a 60% layout like the HHKB would be okay in a game like Mount and Blade warband where you use f keys to command your army? Or do you think it would mess me up too much? I don't have huge hands so i would have to use 2 hands for some of the f keys since i can't reach it.

Or in that case would it be a better option to go for the Realforce 87u 55g?

And if you play games that use f keys or you play mount and blade warband that would be great if you could through in your opinion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 04:01:34 »
Do you guys think a 60% layout like the HHKB would be okay in a game like Mount and Blade warband where you use f keys to command your army? Or do you think it would mess me up too much? I don't have huge hands so i would have to use 2 hands for some of the f keys since i can't reach it.

Or in that case would it be a better option to go for the Realforce 87u 55g?

And if you play games that use f keys or you play mount and blade warband that would be great if you could through in your opinion.

I would tentatively suggest that HHKB may not be ideal for you.

I found at work using a conventional fullsize board that I know where the break between F4 and F5 is, and between F8 and F9, and most of those are used in the IDE I use nearly every day.  So I don't need to look at the keyboard when debugging.

When I tried to use the HHKB, I was forever looking to see where Fn was, then where the appropriate number key was.  And forget about combinations like Alt-F12!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 04:03:47 »

Perhaps you would like FC660M with MX browns?

Very likely, but hopefully I will be able to try a programmable 60% next to see if I can replace it with a brown board. I did just buy 150 brown switches. :)

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #288 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 06:33:47 »

Which is the switch that you have a hard time with for long stretches, as mentioned in the last couple of sentences of your post? The brown or the Topre?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 10:15:29 »

Which is the switch that you have a hard time with for long stretches, as mentioned in the last couple of sentences of your post? The brown or the Topre?

I have a hard time with topre for long stretches. I find them hard on my hands, they get sore and achy.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:09:10 »
Just received my first Topre board in the mail and in the now 30 mins I've used it I can safely say it is far and away my favorite switch type (still have yet to try buckling springs though!). I've been a big fan of MX Brown switches, and this just feels like a high quality, smooth as butter version of them. I love the initial resistance at the top of the switch rather than the slight resistance partway down the key depression like on browns. Also, having read the box, I finally feel the enjoyment of oneness with cup rubber.  ;D

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline iri

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:40:54 »
it seems that nobody here besides me has finger pain issues with topre?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:42:13 »

Very possibly.

I, in particular, like BS, MX blacks and MX greens, so Topre feels so light and smooth in comparison.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:49:28 »

A few posts above I also complained about hand soreness and achy hand joints using topre.  It's not just you.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:00:19 »
Do you touch type and are you referring to the harder 55g?

I don't touch type and I'm using 45g HHKB and no soreness or pain to the fingers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:11:09 »
For people with a pre-existing physiological problem could find any keyboard uncomfortable to use, even Topre.

But from what I have read it seems that fewer people report problems with Topre than with other switch types.

Stiffer switches tend to produce more finger strain.  Poor keyboard/hand positions tend to produce more write strain.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:39:07 »
so after a few days with the variable weight, silent Realforce; I like it a lot, but the most annoying thing by far is the accidental 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' that I'm getting all of the time. I don't rest my fingers heavily at all and yet it never fails. I hope I adjust to it. I'm sure I will, just nitpicking on an otherwise excellent board.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:40:01 »

When I bottom out on Topre it really hurts my hand. I don't really understand it.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:46:35 »
I rarely bottom out on a 55g. It's why I stopped using 45g completely. Not sure if that's the issue you are having, or what switch weight you are using.

But 55g is heavy enough that I can type comfortably without bottoming out. Also, the dental band mod would pretty much make bottoming much less of an impact
due to the rubber rings padding the contact. Not that everyone wants to do that mod, but it's really nice.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:50:14 »
I bottom out on both 45g and 55g. The 55g Topre actually hurt my hands more than the 45g did but the 45g was too light for me.