Author Topic: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....  (Read 116626 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 20:18:55 »
Topre keycaps are all currently thin PBT right? I wonder how much deeper (and perhaps quieter) the "thock" will sound with some Cherry profile Thick PBT  :eek:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 20:20:16 »
Topre keycaps are all currently thin PBT right? I wonder how much deeper (and perhaps quieter) the "thock" will sound with some Cherry profile Thick PBT  :eek:

Probably really good...

I didn't think of that.

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tisca

« Reply #452 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:04:25 »

I doubt there will be enough difference to care. (typed on a Realforcre)

Offline Pac Caps

• Its almost a pallindrome
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:20:39 »

Aren't realforce caps also thin PBT?
Want to be a cap maker

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #454 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:23:00 »

Exactly! There's no thick PBT Topre caps, so I'm interested in hearing and seeing some Cherry keys on the novatouch.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Tisca

« Reply #455 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 05:49:27 »

Yes, these are thin. What I meant was I doubt there will be much of a difference. The bottoming out is so dampened already the resonation in the cap is minimal. Cherry MXs are very different.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #456 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:59:49 »

Yes, these are thin. What I meant was I doubt there will be much of a difference. The bottoming out is so dampened already the resonation in the cap is minimal. Cherry MXs are very different.
Thocks will always be there from bottoming out on Thopre.
I'm pretty sure the "thock" will still be deeper than with Thin PBT caps. The lower Cherry profile will also make it quieter!
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #457 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 16:21:43 »

Maybe not for you, but for others.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #458 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 20:23:25 »

It had to be said.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 03:53:20 »

+1
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Tisca

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 04:30:01 »

Maybe there's no difference at all, just maybe. Can we know if we don't try?
Are there even any thick Topre PBT caps in existence or has anyone here converted a Topre board for MX and tried with thick PBT?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 04:33:48 by Tisca »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 06:51:55 »

Maybe there's no difference at all, just maybe. Can we know if we don't try?
Are there even any thick Topre PBT caps in existence or has anyone here converted a Topre board for MX and tried with thick PBT?

Not sure if it'll be felt as much on Topre, but there is a definite difference on MX for me. I'd like to actually be able to try it. Options are good.

I hope the sliders, plate, domes, springs, etc on this board are as accurate and consistent as on an HHKB.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 08:07:04 »

Yeap..I'm sure a lot of people will want to try this.  Might be better, might be worse (might hurt the thock!).  Either way, the option to do what you want is great.  The thing that is annoying with Topre is you don't have the wide array of options for keycaps...they're just not there. 

It'll be curious to see if there are any restrictions fitting some keycaps (maybe cherry profile doesn't work) or not others or if they'll maintain the same type of stability of Topre...Have to wait and see..

Offline luminor

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:00:26 »
Another waiting game...

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #464 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:01:23 »
And I pulled the trigger on an FC660C. At least I can be happy that it has PBT caps, and I haven't tried thin PBT so it should be an interesting experience.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:42:25 »
And I pulled the trigger on an FC660C. At least I can be happy that it has PBT caps, and I haven't tried thin PBT so it should be an interesting experience.
Sweet!!! I really hope you like it. I think it's the best feeling 45g topre board, I just wish the legend printing was a little better.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #466 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 20:40:07 »
Sweet!!! I really hope you like it. I think it's the best feeling 45g topre board, I just wish the legend printing was a little better.

:D Thanks!
I've heard that a lot of people think that it's the best feeling, but I did hear that it was pad-printed rather than lasered as they advertised. Oh well, not like I look at the legends anyways, haha. Looking forward to being an entrant into Topre nation.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #467 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:05:37 »

I've heard that a lot of people think that it's the best feeling, but I did hear that it was pad-printed rather than lasered as they advertised. Oh well, not like I look at the legends anyways, haha. Looking forward to being an entrant into Topre nation.

They're lasered...but they put this little coating on it to help with wearing issues..it makes it look pad printed but it isn't...they dirty up pretty quick either way...

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:55:11 »

They're lasered...but they put this little coating on it to help with wearing issues..it makes it look pad printed but it isn't...they dirty up pretty quick either way...

Ah, good to know it's at least lasered then. Doesn't seem to big of an issue then, I'll just make sure to clean it monthly or so.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:12:36 »
I'm not sure how to clean them up to be honest..I've tried with some water and it doesn't seem to be coming off..it looks like the letters are wearing but pretty sure it is just darkening of the clear coat...It really doesn't matter though...On the plus side, they don't seem to shine easily...but some of the letters get dark...

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:50:32 »
I heard that using some denture tabs will clean them to be nice and bright. How well that will work with black caps, I'm not entirely sure..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:50:59 »
so is this thread still about CM's keyboard or w/e we want to talk about as long as it's topre related?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 00:27:38 »
so is this thread still about CM's keyboard or w/e we want to talk about as long as it's topre related?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50380.0

cherry peasants are going to ruin topre.

2014 death of classy topre.

^ Talk about this. I wanna hear more about this  :thumb:
I have the sudden urge to buy a topre...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 03:05:23 »

Get an HHKB while you can!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #474 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:17:27 »

Get an HHKB while you can!
Before CoolerMaster comes out with their 60% CMKB ProMaster  model.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #475 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 15:55:00 »
At this point, with Topre potentially making Cherry MX compatible stems, it seems like Cherry MX keycaps are the most popular type in the world at this point

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:36:51 »
At this point, with Topre potentially making Cherry MX compatible stems, it seems like Cherry MX keycaps are the most popular type in the world at this point
Weren't they already?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #477 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:40:05 »

pretty sure rubberdome has MX beat out.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #478 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:48:19 »

Not all caps on rubber dome keyboards are interchangeable amongst each other though, but overall I'd agree.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #479 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 18:03:24 »

If you're talking about replacement keycap sets, I don't think I've ever seen a set of replacement rubber dome key caps.  Cheaper just to replace the whole keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #480 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 18:30:49 »
Also it might be that keycaps on RD boards are often notoriously difficult to take off and would require a ring puller (attempting to remove a dome cap on a K60 nearly resulted in the destruction of my sole wire puller). However, it appears that at least superficially, RD keycaps are similar; I could try swapping the K60 keycap out with one on an HP.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 19:49:17 »

you should, since EK has dropped the price on all their boards! I mean, the EK Edition is 199!

Also, I'm pretty sure miller is saying there are probably a ton more RD boards in the world than cherry mx boards. so, yeah, rd keycaps have them beat out.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:17:12 »

you should, since EK has dropped the price on all their boards! I mean, the EK Edition is 199!

Also, I'm pretty sure miller is saying there are probably a ton more RD boards in the world than cherry mx boards. so, yeah, rd keycaps have them beat out.
Damn that is a great deal! I'm going to buy a HHKB anyways. The money is going to good cause in any case. And now I will be able to preach about the HHKB and Topre  :cool:

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:25:31 »

Damn that is a great deal! I'm going to buy a HHKB anyways. The money is going to good cause in any case. And now I will be able to preach about the HHKB and Topre  :cool:

Do you hold the record for most posts without ever actually owning a keyboard?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #484 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:26:52 »

And most novelty keycaps without owning a keyboard.  :cool:

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #485 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:34:43 »

I only own a Steel Brobot V2. But of course I'm trying to get some other ones also. If anyone sells me them of course.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:36:34 »

I only own a Steel Brobot V2. But of course I'm trying to get some other ones also. If anyone sells me them of course.
I'll sell you a gold one for a measly 10x retail, which isn't all that bad. Just paypal gift me 2000 dollars and I can hook you up, free shipping and all.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 23:39:16 »

I'll sell you a gold one for a measly 10x retail, which isn't all that bad. Just paypal gift me 2000 dollars and I can hook you up, free shipping and all.
I'll pm you my details.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #488 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 01:43:12 »
Wow!

Such generosity!

Much kindness!

Offline skuko

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 03:57:20 »
so no official info on availability yet?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 04:08:30 »
so no official info on availability yet?

I think they mentioned Q2 in one of the videos.

Offline skuko

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 05:32:58 »
yeah Q2 is a relatively long timespan

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 07:04:07 »
In the video, they say towards the beginning of Q2. Hopefully that means April 1st, but that's unlikely.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 08:01:39 »
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 08:03:07 »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:21:11 »
From /r/mechanicalkeyboards, A Cm Rep posted the latest sample of the novatouch..I love the new font, and are those silenced stems?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:22:55 »
I don't care about the font because the whole point of this is to use other MX keycaps anyways, but it's quite exciting that they will offer a silenced version :)

Offline osi

« Reply #497 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:24:49 »
From /r/mechanicalkeyboards, A Cm Rep posted the latest sample of the novatouch..I love the new font, and are those silenced stems?
Show Image

Show Image

Is that micro USB as well?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:25:53 »
Show Image

Show Image

Is that micro USB as well?
Looks to be!  :thumb:

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:26:15 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:49:15 by Xowie »
RETIRED