Author Topic: 60% boards - what's the attraction?  (Read 87407 times)

Offline nickr

Re: 60% boards - what's the attraction?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 20:53:30 »
Are they more popular with PC users than Mac?  Or are they more a Linux thing?

I can't imagine that users of any keyboard format could be grouped by operating system usage.  It's not uncommon nowadays for people to switch between PC, Linux or Mac daily (either virtually or between home and work).  It seems to be mainly a space or portability concern.  I like it because it's small enough to keep my desk as clutter-free as possible while not hampering productivity.

I think that some users would find their preference in keyboard format dictacted by their OS. For example, I know a lot of linux users like having the control key where the caps lock key is, while that format choice may not be so popular with users of other OS's.

You're talking about the placement of keys rather than the size of the keyboard.

Offline tbc

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:25:47 »
Ergonomics...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

It's the only way to have alpha cluster center to the screen without moving the mouse too far to the right!

do you mind if I use those images to help people realize what I'm trying to describe?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 21:29:18 »
I wasn't sure about the size at first as I was using a tkl board. my first 60% was the poker II and really I've used it ever since. Like everyone says, it's really a space saver. and it's programmable. and it looks nice I guess :|D . I'd still use a tkl tho.
Can't go wrong with arrow keys.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:07:52 »
Ergonomics...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

It's the only way to have alpha cluster center to the screen without moving the mouse too far to the right!

do you mind if I use those images to help people realize what I'm trying to describe?

As long you credit me I don't mind (rule for all the content I share here) :)

Offline alosec

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:19:17 »
imo a big factor of it is the look and the elitism of having a tiny keyboard... outside of the mechanical keyboard world, 60%s are common. I personally am a fan of the 87key standard layout.

Offline jevvix

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 00:42:20 »
Only reason I would consider a 60% is just for practicality of it being small/transportable.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:07:56 »
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback!

I was away from my computer all day yesterday, but saw the emails of all the posts come through.  Very interesting stuff...

The FC660C is very well regarded. There was a thread recently about the two keyboards (only two) that people would recommend, and you could see it recommended quite often. Also, when someone asks for advice for a 60% keyboard, you see it mentioned every single time.

However, there is a keyboard out there that is also mentioned all the time and that is so well regarded that the manufacturer can basically put any price tag on it and people will keep purchasing it.

Of course, you know what I'm talking about: the HHKB.

To achieve such desirability, you cannot go with the FC660C form factor: the FC660C is larger than a 60%. The HHKB is a 60% that actually has unused space on it.

Now you should probably ask yourself what makes the HHKB so desirable, because that's the one to beat.

Thanks, that does put things in perspective.

If think the key words are:
- Minimalism
- Symmetry
- Status (which is a result of the above and the fact that it's expensive)
- Feelings: how it feels to the fingers and how it SOUNDS ("Thock")

I would add
- a well-thought-out function layer and key layout

Got it.

If you are looking for a mass-market 60% keyboard, maybe you can't go that route. Otherwise there may be an opportunity there.

Not really interested in making a $260 white elephant.  If we do one, it would likely sell for $100 or so.

Well... I'm not sure what you are after by asking these questions, but you certainly got our attention.

I should explain...

We're planning our products for next year.  This year's stuff is already in the can.  I've always liked the idea of 60% boards, but could never get around the compromises.  So, I thought I'd ask.

I think I get it now.  I didn't realize that portability was such a big factor, but that does make sense, given the size.

Matias please make an Alps version of the 60%.  As someone who owns 4 Cherry MX 60% boards already i will buy #5 if it is made by you.

that's not good enough...

We'd need a pledge from ALL of GH for their trouble to be profitable...

Well, that would certainly help.  :)

BTW, I don't see the FILCO MiniLa getting much love here, despite being available wireless as well.  Any particular reason?

Thanks again for all the interesting commentary.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:09:40 by Matias »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:33:01 »
And I also like FN-; for Home and FN-> for End which is not available in the Mac Book Air. Very useful to jump to the top or bottom of a forum thread.

On the MacBooks, you can get Home & End via Fn-Left/Right arrow keys.  Fn-Up/Down arrows give you PgUp/Dn

I guess keep it small size, light and cheap and you will have a winner.

Sounds about right.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:35:18 »
Matias please make an Alps version of the 60%.  As someone who owns 4 Cherry MX 60% boards already i will buy #5 if it is made by you.

that's not good enough...

We'd need a pledge from ALL of GH for their trouble to be profitable...

There is a 60% ALPS group buy going live within a week probably, just sayin.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:52:15 »
BTW, I don't see the FILCO MiniLa getting much love here, despite being available wireless as well.  Any particular reason?

The Minila has imo the same issue as the Pure Pro, all 75% boards, the FC660M and others: the lack of replacement keycaps. For a lot of us this hobby is a lot about modding and when you have a hard time making it look the way you want it to look that is a turnoff. This is probably also the reason why the Poker is so popular, it is very customizable and uses standard keycap sizes.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 09:13:23 »
The Minila has imo the same issue as the Pure Pro, all 75% boards, the FC660M and others: the lack of replacement keycaps. For a lot of us this hobby is a lot about modding and when you have a hard time making it look the way you want it to look that is a turnoff. This is probably also the reason why the Poker is so popular, it is very customizable and uses standard keycap sizes.

Good to know.

How about case modding?  I've seen replacement cases, but I guess you could just paint the stock case.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 09:40:54 »
Well if you would go for the Poker Layout or something of the same size you could make it compatible for those cases, I'm sure somebody can give you the measurements. Also, I think people would love you to death if they could just use their Poker cases since there is a lot of variety already there, be it metal or acrylic. A metal case is usually better than the stock plastic cases, they make the board feel more rigid/solid and acrylic cases with their multiple colors can look quite nice and are a good and cheaper alternative.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 15:35:54 »
Ask Mashby :)

Thanks i3oilermaker!

My primary reason for switching to the 60% form factor was because of the mouse/trackpad location. After becoming comfortable with the Apple BT keyboard, I found that having my trackpad right next to the keyboard helped with some shoulder issues I was having. When I made my way to the world of mechanical keyboards, I was looking for something akin to the Apple BT and the 60% was it.

I started with the KBT Race (75%) because I wasn't sure I wanted to take the full plunge to 60%, but I quickly moved on finding it "too big". Now I have Pure, Poker, Duck Mini's etc. all in 60% and I love it.

I think one of the things that made the switch easier for me is that I've worked on laptops since the 90's, so I'm used to having to use the function keys. Once you become accustomed to the function layer, I don't find that I'm missing any keys.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to the GH60 and the ability to play with the form factor a bit more. I don't use the right side modifiers, so I'd like to re-purpose them in a Pure style layout for the arrow keys. I've grown accustomed to the WASD arrow keys on the Poker, but having dedicated keys would make better use of those keys for my purposes.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:09:47 »
My primary reason for switching to the 60% form factor was because of the mouse/trackpad location. After becoming comfortable with the Apple BT keyboard, I found that having my trackpad right next to the keyboard helped with some shoulder issues I was having. When I made my way to the world of mechanical keyboards, I was looking for something akin to the Apple BT and the 60% was it.

Interesting.

Hypothetically, if you could have a mechanical keyboard that was exactly the same size and layout as the Apple BT keyboard, would you go for it?  Or would you chop off the function keys to make it smaller?

I think one of the things that made the switch easier for me is that I've worked on laptops since the 90's, so I'm used to having to use the function keys. Once you become accustomed to the function layer, I don't find that I'm missing any keys.

Yes, that appears to be the main compromise with 60%.  The arrow/navigation keys are in an Fn layer.

It doesn't sound like the absence of function keys are as much of a problem.

I noticed that you didn't mention the FILCO MiniLa.  Are you also not a fan?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:53:08 »
Interesting.

Hypothetically, if you could have a mechanical keyboard that was exactly the same size and layout as the Apple BT keyboard, would you go for it?  Or would you chop off the function keys to make it smaller?

For me it's more about the width, than the height. Having the trackpad/mouse right next to the board keeps my arms shoulder width apart. If function keys were there, I'd be fine with that.

Yes, that appears to be the main compromise with 60%.  The arrow/navigation keys are in an Fn layer.

It doesn't sound like the absence of function keys are as much of a problem.

I noticed that you didn't mention the FILCO MiniLa.  Are you also not a fan?

I haven't played with one, but like with the TEX Beetle, I find the right shift to be too short not to mention that both of those boards have some crazy modifier layouts. The Leopold Mini looks interesting, but I haven't given it a try either.

Ultimately, I think the Poker so solidified the 60% form factor with cases, plates, etc. that it's hard to break out of that mold. Any community PCB, or 3rd party case has to support the mounts of the Poker/Pure for example. With that sandbox established, trying to cram more keys into a non-ANSI layout creates issues with replacement key caps, so it's hard to build an after market unless you're the vendor filling that market.  ;D

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 19:34:08 »
If I'm not wrong, Matias primary customers are really Apple users. As such the function keys are really not that useful except to turn on brightness, mute, volume, dashboard, etc instead of being F1, F2, etc. I think all the more reason to lose the Function layer to keep the keyboard compact.

Disclaimer: I have only used a Mac daily for 2 years so I don't really know much of the keyboard shortcut and could be wrong.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
60% boards - what's the attraction?
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 21:27:04 »
Another observation - if you must have Function layer, can you do it as compact as Noppoo Choc Mini. That's a nice form factor, but compared to the Poker or HHKB, it's pretty big.

Noppoo (bottom), HHKB

Noppoo (bottom), Poker and HHKB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2013, 21:32:31 by Belfong »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 21:30:47 »
Another observation - if you must have Function layer, can you do it as compact as Noppoo Choc Mini. That's a nice form factor, but compared to the Poker or HHKB, it's pretty big.

The Noppoo Choc Mini has the Function key row, so it's not really a 60% board.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 21:42:24 »
Ultimately, I think the Poker so solidified the 60% form factor with cases, plates, etc. that it's hard to break out of that mold. Any community PCB, or 3rd party case has to support the mounts of the Poker/Pure for example. With that sandbox established, trying to cram more keys into a non-ANSI layout creates issues with replacement key caps, so it's hard to build an after market unless you're the vendor filling that market.  ;D

Well, we have a 60% design already done.  It's better than the Poker/Pure.  I'm just trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on it.

If I'm not wrong, Matias primary customers are really Apple users. As such the function keys are really not that useful except to turn on brightness, mute, volume, dashboard, etc instead of being F1, F2, etc. I think all the more reason to lose the Function layer to keep the keyboard compact.

Correct on all counts.  The few Mac users that do use them as actual function keys are primarily users of macro software.

Offline spdx

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 22:20:59 »
Well, we have a 60% design already done.  It's better than the Poker/Pure.  I'm just trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on it.
Glad to know that Matias may provide a 60% keyboard.

To me, size and weight is the major reason for a 60%. I once took a TKL with me to the other side of Pacific Ocean, the size occupied too much precious space of my backpack and the weight consumed my energy on public transportation.

After acquired Filco Minila, Poker, Poker II and Pure (Tried topre switch. Not worked out), I think that an ideal 60% mechanical keyboard should have:
1. Programmable function layer can be 100% defined by users - because it is *very* personal.
2. Adequate size and weight - robust and portable for business travel
3. Bluetooth with multiple-device support - laptop, smartphone, tablet... are common in today's working environment.

At this moment, most fail the first and probably GH60 can satisfy the first two.

Thanks

Offline nickr

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 22:45:04 »
Quote from: Matias

As a bold-statement enthusiast, consider my interest piqued :)

Offline Surnia

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 23:19:51 »
I think the other reason why the Minila hasn't done terribly well in terms of this forum (I don't know about general sales) is also the fact that the key placement is non standard. The bottom row is offset differently for the ZXCV, and a lot of the initial reviews stated that the offset took a  bit of time getting used to, with some users having issues adapting.

The standardization of size and key placement makes it much easier for people to transition and find keys. This might be a more common factor as to why the Keycool 84 gets a bit more attention than the Noppoo at the 75% size (as well as cap modding), but interest returned to the Noppoo when they started using more standard sized modifiers.

I know for a fact that when I have the Noppoo in at work and someone might need to use my workstation for a short time, they get severely confused and move to another if possible (despite the main setup being identical to a full board, with arrows and modifiers on the right side).

Also, +1 to programmable layers. Really helps with flexibility and allows people to adjust the layout for optimizing their own setup.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 23:42:07 »
One of the things that was not mentioned are USB ports. Are they important? They are there in HHKB (how the heck did they crammed in the two ports and maintained the form factor?) but not in Poker 2. I personally don't use them.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 23:45:08 »

But you cannot show it yet, or else I guess we would have already seen it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 00:17:12 »
One of the things that was not mentioned are USB ports. Are they important? They are there in HHKB (how the heck did they crammed in the two ports and maintained the form factor?) but not in Poker 2. I personally don't use them.

I have yet to find a USB port in a keyboard that actually works, even for a USB flash drive (including the ones on HHKB).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 00:42:22 »
i personally use the usb ports as a usb drive holder so they don't get lost.  also use them to connect my mouse to :D -  i don't game ,so any latency doesn't bother me.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 00:56:39 »

I have yet to find a USB port in a keyboard that actually works, even for a USB flash drive (including the ones on HHKB).

K60 worked just fine for that. But honestly, unless it's a headphone jack, I don't see the point in it too much; you're taking up a slot on the computer anyways.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 01:17:15 »

K60 worked just fine for that. But honestly, unless it's a headphone jack, I don't see the point in it too much; you're taking up a slot on the computer anyways.

Both HHKB and Matias keyboards does not use another USB slot in the PC. So the USB port in the keyboard is truly additional ports which is a huge plus for me. But I've yet to find good use of them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 01:21:29 »

You mean it's mostly Cherry MX key-switch heaven here.  Hence poor Matias can't compete with other rivals turning out Cherry-based keyboards.  More's the pity because his ALPs switches are quite superb.  Again though, very little options for coloured/customized ALPs key-caps available here at GH (unless someone's running a GB for them).

60% are ONLY popular here and no where else in society.  Accountants, Pharmacists, Receptionists, Marketing Research, Data Entry/Processing, Engineers, Teachers as such require a full size keyboard.  Hence for Matias, stick with the majority out there instead of focusing on a tiny minority here on Geekhack.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 02:12:29 »
Yeah Elrick is also right in a sense. I remember reading one time on the history at Apple. They had so many products and SKU under Scully leadership that when Jobs came back on, he sliced all the products away except one in each family. Of course it has now grown but it's still very small and manageable - two Mac Airs, two MacBook Pro, a couple of iMac and two iPhones. Of course the colours of the iPod and now the iPhone 5c made it quite confusing to people. Matias seemed to have quite a big number of keyboard which can be daunting for the general public. Unless you plan to replace the Mini Quiet Pro with the 60% - well, it all depend on how well it attracts the general consumers.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 08:26:11 »
Quote from: Matias

As a bold-statement enthusiast, consider my interest piqued :)

:)

To me, size and weight is the major reason for a 60%. I once took a TKL with me to the other side of Pacific Ocean, the size occupied too much precious space of my backpack and the weight consumed my energy on public transportation.

Yes, that's what I'm hearing over and over again here.

We actually developed the Laptop Pro to address that need, but I don't get the impression that many people travel with it.  It's still too big.

I think the other reason why the Minila hasn't done terribly well in terms of this forum (I don't know about general sales) is also the fact that the key placement is non standard. The bottom row is offset differently for the ZXCV, and a lot of the initial reviews stated that the offset took a  bit of time getting used to, with some users having issues adapting.

I found that off-putting too, though it might not be a problem in actual use.

I also found that, for a keyboard whose stated aim is to be as minimalist as possible, the case is a lot bigger than it needs to be.

The standardization of size and key placement makes it much easier for people to transition and find keys. This might be a more common factor as to why the Keycool 84 gets a bit more attention than the Noppoo at the 75% size (as well as cap modding), but interest returned to the Noppoo when they started using more standard sized modifiers.

I know for a fact that when I have the Noppoo in at work and someone might need to use my workstation for a short time, they get severely confused and move to another if possible (despite the main setup being identical to a full board, with arrows and modifiers on the right side).

There may not be any way around that, for keyboards this small.  They appear to be a very personal choice, so it's understandable if other users react negatively to them.

But you cannot show it yet, or else I guess we would have already seen it?

Not yet, but I think you'll probably be able to guess after what we announce next month.

60% are ONLY popular here and no where else in society.  Accountants, Pharmacists, Receptionists, Marketing Research, Data Entry/Processing, Engineers, Teachers as such require a full size keyboard.  Hence for Matias, stick with the majority out there instead of focusing on a tiny minority here on Geekhack.

That's what I thought too, but based on what people have said here, the 60%ers seem to serve a role homologous to an external number pad.  People who do a lot of number entry don't mind carrying around a number pad, because it makes them more productive.  People here, who do a lot of typing on the road, are carrying a 60% in their bag, because they hate the keyboard on their laptop.

Yeah Elrick is also right in a sense. I remember reading one time on the history at Apple. They had so many products and SKU under Scully leadership that when Jobs came back on, he sliced all the products away except one in each family.

Apple was an incoherent mess before Steve came back.  In some cases, they had the exact same product selling under a different name, just to increase the SKU count to capture more retail shelf space.  That's what happens when you put a golfer or a sales guy in charge of a tech company.

Of course it has now grown but it's still very small and manageable - two Mac Airs, two MacBook Pro, a couple of iMac and two iPhones. Of course the colours of the iPod and now the iPhone 5c made it quite confusing to people. Matias seemed to have quite a big number of keyboard which can be daunting for the general public. Unless you plan to replace the Mini Quiet Pro with the 60% - well, it all depend on how well it attracts the general consumers.

No plan to replace the Mini Quiet Pro.  It's one of our best sellers.

New products should attract new customers with different needs.  If the products are properly differentiated, that's what happens. For example, Honda makes different models of cars + motorcycles to serve different needs.  It's when you have two models that are very similar that you run into problems.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:11:11 »
Only reason I would consider a 60% is just for practicality of it being small/transportable.
..(truncated)
If think the key words are:
- Minimalism
- Symmetry
- Status (which is a result of the above and the fact that it's expensive)
- Feelings: how it feels to the fingers and how it SOUNDS ("Thock")

These are also primarily the reasons why I have chosen to stick with a 60% board. Having got used to the laptop's small keyboard layout it is simple to picture personally the simple things that are really needed. Having all the extra features would be nice but primarily it boils down to what one would deem suitable for their environment.

I am also not coming from a programmer's perspective but rather a script monkey at that. I somehow also believe most laptop users could agree on minimalist design. Sure at first one gets annoyed at how cramped the layout is for small(er) keyboards when they basically do away with cutting things down to what is mostly needed. Though ultimately when one is used to the layout can often find themselves acknowledging the needs as well as the convenience of minimalism.

At the end of the day it really is "to each their own". Everyone has their choice and often will get what they want.

They are not there on the HHKB JP version, for specifically what reason why PFU doesn't have them on JP version is completely beyond me (I can imagine one could easily fit a USB hub within the JP version). Also on a much smaller note the Lite2 does not have detachable USB cable for the keyboard to the computer (for instance). Unlike the Pro variants which allows one to easily detach the USB cable from the back of the keyboard. Lite2 does not offer that for instance.

Hasu has posted some really nice photos of the HHKB (non JP variant) internals, now if I were to go about quoting photos from Hasu's thread on TMK/Alternative firmware for HHKB:
..(truncated)
Show Image

Show Image

The first photo shows HHKB with USB hubs. You can see how they have it all on the same PCB as with the USB connector for the HHKB itself.

The latter photo is not the HHKB's own board but Hasu's TMK board. The reason why I posted the second photo was to show that there is a noticeable gap from the keyboard's PCB and the "controller" PCB. That's basically how PFU managed to squeeze the hubs in.

Now with that being mentioned, I guess having a USB hub on the keyboard is really just a matter of convenience. The cheap "multimedia" keyboard one sees these days often sport a USB hub, much like how modern computer monitors also sporting USB hub. To have USB hubs elsewhere besides the actual box (computer case) prevents one the need to reach to the computer to plug some USB device in for mostly trivial purposes. Whereever one sets their computer up as, peripherals sporting USB hubs are just value added bonuses.

As for a keyboard that has a USB hub that works, I have a Dell multimedia keyboard. It is not a 60% board but a full sized keyboard (most likely also not being mechanical as well) and the USB hub on it actually works. I have plugged in a USB flash drive which works (and obviously my computer could recognise and mount the device, etc). There was a youtube video about a guy using HHKB Pro2 with USB hubs. He went on saying that he uses one for charging his iPod and the other to occasionally plug in his external hard drive (you can hear him mentioning it at 2:23).

I am going to stress again that I have the HHKB JP variant and there is no way for me to test the USB hub functionality as HHKB JP basically lacks just that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:13:11 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:44:54 »
My philosophy has long been that "60% with arrow keys" is the best layout for anything that doesn't require a whole bunch of hotkeys.

That said, my only issues are as follows:

Short right shift. At least 1.75x, or just put something else there.

Lack of aftermarket keycap choices. My miniLA is already wearing out after just a few months. I'd much rather a nice set for it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:51:26 »
Reading tux post caused me to think of one feature we have not mentioned: detachable cable! If 60% is about portability! please put in detachable cables. One board I saw, was it a photo of Noppoo new board? Anyway, it has a compartment under the keyboard to store away the cables! That's brilliant!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:25:02 »

My grain of salt:

Current board: Poker X with reds. Non programmable original model. One year of experience with it. I use the computer like 9 hours per day.

Main use:

I type research reports in English, Spanish and some in French. Thus, the AltGr is required. I am a heavy user of R, and I prepare some scripts and run extensive interactive statistical analysis, for that the arrows and delete keys are handy.

Experience:

I have not accustomed to the wasd arrows approach, and the right modifiers conflicting with AltGr when turned into arrows is also time consuming. The need to use two keys for delete is also somewhat obtrusive. The use of FN plus other keys for PgUp/Dw and Home/End is not bad, but their positions in the keyboard are not by any means logic. Portability was other advantage of this small keyboard. Someone in the forum told me that steams may be damage if the board was subject to continuous transportation. It was not damage at all, and I take it with me to the university and back home every day. The detachable cable is also very handy.

Ergonomics:

Carpal syndrome gone with the Poker, also the stress in the right wrist diminished due to a more natural position of the right arm, because the small keyboard footprint allow the mouse to be closer to the center of the display, and the keyboard set.

Conclusion:

I will never consider to return to a full size keyboard, because that will stress again my wrist and the carpal syndrome may returns. However, while the Poker is a very aesthetic board the lack of direct right arrows and how the optional mods turn into arrows conflicting with AltGr makes it a little hard on my productivity.

I am considering a Leopold 660. I do not like its lack of symmetry but I think is a no so bad compromise to get a still small keyboard footprint with arrows, delete and AltGr always available. I hope this increases my productivity. It is incredible how these small details may impact the work flow while repeating the finger moves so many times per day. I am and industrial engineer and of course I was trained to avoid repetitive stresses when designing work stations, but I really understood it when the tension in my right wrist began to producing nerves compression.

For caps replacement I already have the nice purple mod set made by GMK early this year. It came with two 2.25x shift keys and a blank mod 1x. I also have one white on black original cherry full set. These two together will fit the keyboard in a white on black alphas with purple mods combo. I will order a KB w/blues in black so the non standard black space bar of the Leopold will fit with the white on black alpha cherries colorwise. Considering that this space bar is PBT it should last longer than my current ABS ones.

I hope this experience help some people that are trying to figure out which small board if any fits their needs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:40:39 by ideus »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 02:15:11 »

I am considering a Leopold 660. I do not like its lack of symmetry but I think is a no so bad compromise to get a still small keyboard footprint with arrows, delete and AltGr always available. I hope this increases my productivity. It is incredible how these small details may impact the work flow while repeating the finger moves so many times per day. I am and industrial engineer and of course I was trained to avoid repetitive stresses when designing work stations, but I really understood it when the tension in my right wrist began to producing nerves compression.

Beware that the FC660C is much heavier than the Poker. This will make a significant difference in your bag.

There is no AltGr at all on the Poker, so I don't even understand how you can use it at all to type European languages, unless you are on a Mac. Or maybe you are using the US international mode and compose accentuated characters with the single or back quote maybe?

One mod I have considered on my Poker was to physically exchange the Fn and CapsLock keys (by soldering wires) and then in software on the PC itself assign CapsLock to AltGr.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:07:47 »
Ergonomics:

Carpal syndrome gone with the Poker, also the stress in the right wrist diminished due to a more natural position of the right arm, because the small keyboard footprint allow the mouse to be closer to the center of the display, and the keyboard set.

I found this to be true for me as well! I was getting some pain in my right wrist, but it hasn't bothered me since I started using my Poker 2.

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 03:35:15 »

Correct on all counts.  The few Mac users that do use them as actual function keys are primarily users of macro software.

How have you done the Fn layer? The HHKB has the best Fn layer that I have come across, the Fn + arrow keys are so easy to use.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:10:51 »
So, in another thread I asked how do one claimed that the Fn and arrow key is the best combo in HHKB because I find it difficult to use the right hand pinky to press Fn and the right hand index and middle fingers to press the arrow.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:53:52 »
There is no AltGr at all on the Poker, so I don't even understand how you can use it at all to type European languages, unless you are on a Mac.

Right Alt turns into AltGr depending on the software layout.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 04:59:52 »
So, in another thread I asked how do one claimed that the Fn and arrow key is the best combo in HHKB because I find it difficult to use the right hand pinky to press Fn and the right hand index and middle fingers to press the arrow.

What Fn layer do you prefer?
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2013, 05:01:59 by longweight »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 07:55:36 »

The AltGr option comes default if you select the appropriated option at the Control Panel (Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate):

Control Panel>Region and Language>Keyboards and Language>Change Keyboards>General>English (United States) - United States-International

I use it with my regular thinkpad keyboard and its Alt right key turns into AltGr. So it is not a hardware but a software option. And I have used it since Windows XP so this option should be there for ages.

Beware that the FC660C is much heavier than the Poker. This will make a significant difference in your bag.

There is no AltGr at all on the Poker, so I don't even understand how you can use it at all to type European languages, unless you are on a Mac. Or maybe you are using the US international mode and compose accentuated characters with the single or back quote maybe?

One mod I have considered on my Poker was to physically exchange the Fn and CapsLock keys (by soldering wires) and then in software on the PC itself assign CapsLock to AltGr.

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:36:03 »
I personally like the minimalism and look of a 60% board.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:49:14 »

I concurred with you, aesthetically-wise, that was the main reason I have tried my Poker for one year, However, I have found dedicated arrows to be essential in my case. Also direct access to the right alt, thus, Poker design was not for me. I have not tried to remap the keys though, it may be an intermediate solution.

I personally like the minimalism and look of a 60% board.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 10:27:28 »
Personally, I am a programmer and I do not use arrow keys and home/page up/F1-12/etc very often. So the lack of some keys is not a problem to me. The reason why I love 60% board is: a. perfect symmetry, and b. TKL boards have a huge part of the case exposed and I prefer 60% style, where keycaps take almost all of the surface.

Could you elaborate a bit more?
I'm a developer and I use home/end/page up/page down, a ton. I don't believe I could operate without them.
When I buy a laptop, I need to make sure that these keys are positioned efficiently or the computer will be practically unusable for me.
I also use arrow keys quite alot.

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 10:31:51 »
Personally, I am a programmer and I do not use arrow keys and home/page up/F1-12/etc very often. So the lack of some keys is not a problem to me. The reason why I love 60% board is: a. perfect symmetry, and b. TKL boards have a huge part of the case exposed and I prefer 60% style, where keycaps take almost all of the surface.

Could you elaborate a bit more?
I'm a developer and I use home/end/page up/page down, a ton. I don't believe I could operate without them.
When I buy a laptop, I need to make sure that these keys are positioned efficiently or the computer will be practically unusable for me.
I also use arrow keys quite alot.

I'm also a developer and I barely use home/end/page up/page down. But I can see where you would use the arrow keys a lot unless your using Vim.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:32:57 »
There's one thing about 60% boards, Poker in particular, and that is layout. It's standard, hence most keycaps do fit. It's awesome for dressing it with custom sets. However, this is kinda irrelevant in case of ALPS.

Otherwise, I don't have much to say here, because I prefer 75% boards and/or ergodox-like layout. The point is that I have access to almost all keys without moving my hands from home position... but at the same time I don't need some crazy combos to hit something necessary such as nav cluster or Delete/Insert (I'm a GNU/Linux user).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:45:42 »

They are not there on the HHKB JP version, for specifically what reason why PFU doesn't have them on JP version is completely beyond me (I can imagine one could easily fit a USB hub within the JP version). Also on a much smaller note the Lite2 does not have detachable USB cable for the keyboard to the computer (for instance). Unlike the Pro variants which allows one to easily detach the USB cable from the back of the keyboard. Lite2 does not offer that for instance.

Hasu has posted some really nice photos of the HHKB (non JP variant) internals, now if I were to go about quoting photos from Hasu's thread on TMK/Alternative firmware for HHKB:
..(truncated)
Show Image

Show Image

The first photo shows HHKB with USB hubs. You can see how they have it all on the same PCB as with the USB connector for the HHKB itself.

The latter photo is not the HHKB's own board but Hasu's TMK board. The reason why I posted the second photo was to show that there is a noticeable gap from the keyboard's PCB and the "controller" PCB. That's basically how PFU managed to squeeze the hubs in.

Now with that being mentioned, I guess having a USB hub on the keyboard is really just a matter of convenience. The cheap "multimedia" keyboard one sees these days often sport a USB hub, much like how modern computer monitors also sporting USB hub. To have USB hubs elsewhere besides the actual box (computer case) prevents one the need to reach to the computer to plug some USB device in for mostly trivial purposes. Whereever one sets their computer up as, peripherals sporting USB hubs are just value added bonuses.

As for a keyboard that has a USB hub that works, I have a Dell multimedia keyboard. It is not a 60% board but a full sized keyboard (most likely also not being mechanical as well) and the USB hub on it actually works. I have plugged in a USB flash drive which works (and obviously my computer could recognise and mount the device, etc). There was a youtube video about a guy using HHKB Pro2 with USB hubs. He went on saying that he uses one for charging his iPod and the other to occasionally plug in his external hard drive (you can hear him mentioning it at 2:23).

I am going to stress again that I have the HHKB JP variant and there is no way for me to test the USB hub functionality as HHKB JP basically lacks just that.

I'd guess USB hub might be an issue in corporations with a paranoid IT department.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
Foldout Legs on 60% ???
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:52:35 »
Okay, I think we've pretty much nailed down what everybody likes about 60%.

How about foldout legs?  Are they necessary?  Are they better left off?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:59:06 »
I've stopped using them for ergonomic reasons. However, I think rubber pads should be rather big like on the choc mini—I put the board on top of my laptop without pressing any keys on the internal keyboard.