Which profile this set should be?

DCS (standard filco-like caps)
38 (43.7%)
DSA (low spherical)
22 (25.3%)
SA (tall spherical)
27 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set  (Read 169784 times)

Offline justnits

Re: Midnight set
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:19:54 »
shipping price/method from the SP's gb system is pretty much a killer for international buyer if buying in bulk :(

Yeah, this really makes me think twice about joining this GB.

I mean I love the set and it was a no-brainer for me before to buy it, but these costs add up, especially since I can't combine shipping for Matt3o's 2 Group Buys that basically end at the same time. On top of that SP won't undervalue the items so I am looking at an additional  ~30$ of import taxes.

I am afraid I'll have to skip these GBs and save my money for Bunnylake's upcoming GMK sets :(

Maybe we can arrange a proxy solution for international shipping? I guess most of the orders will come from the US anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

i guess most of us international buyers are hoping that matt3o will switch to the conventional system which everyone is familiar and comfortable with...deal breaker is still the shipping charge/method since this is one awesome looking set.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:50:46 »
Yeah, at least international buyers should get separate shipping otherwise the majority of them won't join which affects the prices for everyone.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:16:03 »
when I first heard of the SP system I was super excited, theoretically it was a great service and in part it still is.

When we (fans) organize a GB we do not have to worry about certain problems that a company simply cannot ignore. The problem is mainly for international users anyway (mind you, like myself) who have to pay taxes and high shipping rates.

Please note anyway that this set is in Cherry font and the skull squadron includes 8 custom keys. The price of these two set might seem on par of other GBs but they actually include a lot of extras. Cherry font misses some of the keys in our GB, so they need to be manufactured, this raise the price but the new legends will be available back to the community.

For a comparison look at the recent RainDrop round 2, that has the same legends. The base set goes for $90, Midnight base + additional mods + additional spacebar goes for $90 as well (at 50 tier which is pretty low), but includes 9 more keys and 3 new custom legends. Nobody seems to notice, but at the end it's not that bad of a deal.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:38:37 »
For a comparison look at the recent RainDrop round 2, that has the same legends. The base set goes for $90, Midnight base + additional mods + additional spacebar goes for $90 as well (at 50 tier which is pretty low), but includes 9 more keys and 3 new custom legends. Nobody seems to notice, but at the end it's not that bad of a deal.

Nobody said it's a bad deal for the set itself. There are many unique keys and I agree the price is more than fair.

The thing that is bothering us are the additional costs. Most international buyers are looking at another 50+$ for shipping and taxes which is half the set! Bunny offers international shipping with tracking and insurance for 15$ without extra taxes (btw a base RainDrop set is 75$, The Deluxe Set with extra keys and a storage box costs 90$).

Just to be clear: This is not meant to critisize you Matt3o! I appreciate all the hard work you put into your latest GBs. We just want to point out the flaws in SP's new GB system and why it's basically only suitable for CONUS customers. Maybe we should do that in a separate thread...

I'll probably won't join, which is really sad because I like your designs :(

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:47:02 »
If bunny wants to take over I'm more than happy to give Midnight to him.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:47:46 »
In principle, I'm not sure we should use a system that basically alienates international participants.
That can only hurt a groupbuy's chances for success, it seems.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 03:45:05 »

I am afraid Bunny is way to busy with his own GBs. Plus he is already helping out with the Calm Depths SA Set.

Besides that he is a vendor and if he takes over the sets will get a little more expensive for the CONUS customers and only international buyers would profit because they save on shipping and taxes.

I think the only viable solution for this situation is to make a deal with SP to allow one bulk order for an International proxy. If I understood Melissa correctly you can only order a one set basis right now.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:05:55 »

I am afraid Bunny is way to busy with his own GBs. Plus he is already helping out with the Calm Depths SA Set.

Besides that he is a vendor and if he takes over the sets will get a little more expensive for the CONUS customers and only international buyers would profit because they save on shipping and taxes.

I think the only viable solution for this situation is to make a deal with SP to allow one bulk order for an International proxy. If I understood Melissa correctly you can only order a one set basis right now.

I could do that, but it is going to be expensive anyway (shipping to me + tax + shipping to you). I don't know if it is really worth

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #258 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:11:20 »

I could do that, but it is going to be expensive anyway (shipping to me + tax + shipping to you). I don't know if it is really worth

Yeah, this way we would end up with the same costs.

Therefore the proxy has to be in the US and use non flatrate shipping. If you take the smallest box / padded envelope possible it should be around ~15$.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:23:03 »
open to this option if someone pops in

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:21:52 »
just got linked this convo, this is matteos buy and im not interested in taking it over, however, if it can be arranged for that a bulk amount gets ordered for non conus users, i can arrange a conus address for the sets to be sent to, all the sets to be sent to me, and then i can ship them

itll cost about 100 dollars to ship 50 sets to me, so that divided by the buyers works out pretty good and will cut out the taxes and inflated shipping rate

aside form that cost, depending on the exchange rate it ends up costing me between 13 and 16 dollars (£9) to send things express international tracked on 1 -3 sets, not including packaging materials but i have tons and tons of that on hand

to slightly expand on the cost of the deluxe raindrop set, as stated above, the base set is 75 not 90, the deluxe not only comes with extra keys, but a display box, we have to pay to get those made, and shipped in large quantities to 2 different places around the world, individually pack the keysets into them which is time consuming, and they will then add a lot onto the cost of shipping them to the end user which we didnt reflect in shipping prices

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:24:10 by BunnyLake »
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:24:49 »
thanks BunnyLake, I'll talk with SP about this option and let you know

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:28:38 »
thanks BunnyLake, I'll talk with SP about this option and let you know

no problem, there are a lot of issues with sps new system, i think in its current state it isnt really suitable for use, but unless people use it they are not gonna be able to iron out the issues, im glad people like you are putting in the effort to make it successful, but it feels a bit like you have to fight against it right now rather than it making things simpler, im sure itll evolve and become better and more efficient over time because of people like you if sp are committed to making it work

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:31:45 »
Thank you Bunny!

Splitting ~100$ among all international orders sound way better than direct shipping from SP.

This is hoping there are more than 5 international orders :p

I think ~20 international sets should be the MOQ here to make it worthwhile.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:39:37 »
Thank you Bunny!

Splitting ~100$ among all international orders sound way better than direct shipping from SP.

This is hoping there are more than 5 international orders :p

I think ~20 international sets should be the MOQ here to make it worthwhile.

well obviously shipping less sets is cheaper to me

for dcs sets, shipping about 50 base sets + tsangans and extras and such was about 100, sa was a lot more expensive, was about 100 for 25 sets or so, but obviously the cost will drop with less sets, but the option is there for epople if something can be sorted out

Offline PhineasRex

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 17:08:33 »
Cherry legends

Show Image

Are the yellow arrow keys not available with the cherry font?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:13:30 »
Cherry legends

Show Image

dunno, just testing.

it seems more elegant this way.

Offline justnits

« Reply #267 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:05:26 »
Cherry legends

Show Image

dunno, just testing.

i prefer yellow arrow...kinda like wyse in a way...haha :)
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #268 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:24:20 »
Cherry legends

Show Image

dunno, just testing.

Iam going to hold off for the SA set.  Hey Matt3o,  you are still going to offer the twilight (lighter color) Mods for both the DCS and SA sets correct?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline intelli78

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 16:00:03 »
Are the legends translucent/meant for use with a backlit keyboard?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline SPLady

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #270 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 16:03:12 »
Hey guys just wanted to give you an updated - we have lowered the international shipping charge from $26 to $15 in hopes that this might help (though at a small cost to ourselves). We are still working out the best way to handle this and hope that you bear with us once we get a few group buys under our belts with the new system.
- Melissa

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 16:30:03 »
Iam going to hold off for the SA set.  Hey Matt3o,  you are still going to offer the twilight (lighter color) Mods for both the DCS and SA sets correct?

Most defintiely, let the noobs enjoy their DCS version  ::) .  The REAL Key-set Profile shall be delivered in the SA form, that shall be the one to pounce on  :thumb: .

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 16:40:39 »

yes, that is the idea.

Are the legends translucent/meant for use with a backlit keyboard?

Nope.

Hey guys just wanted to give you an updated - we have lowered the international shipping charge from $26 to $15 in hopes that this might help (though at a small cost to ourselves). We are still working out the best way to handle this and hope that you bear with us once we get a few group buys under our belts with the new system.
- Melissa

that's GREAT news! Thanks Melissa!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:04:00 »
- Melissa

That's really awesome news. Thank you very much!

Now you just need to forget to write the real value of the keycaps on the box ;)

Offline Reckthor

• PC Stuff
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 00:03:10 »
interested

Offline justnits

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:24:06 »
i was wondering, when is this starting?
| | | |

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:37:41 »

I think he's already running another 2 GB's at this very moment.  Correct me if I'm wrong here........

Maybe the poor guy wants a little breathing space before opening this one as well.  Maybe he wants to break BunnyLake's record for maximum Group Buys running concurrently  :thumb: .

Offline justnits

« Reply #277 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:14:55 »

I think he's already running another 2 GB's at this very moment.  Correct me if I'm wrong here........

Maybe the poor guy wants a little breathing space before opening this one as well.  Maybe he wants to break BunnyLake's record for maximum Group Buys running concurrently  :thumb: .

bunny seems to be the current leader in holding the most concurrent GB i think  ;D

i asked cuz matt did mention that macross and midnight will be running together. but i guess it's due to the SP's gb system that is not flexible for international buyer is making matt holding back this gb for now?
| | | |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 01:39:32 »
Midnight will likely start today

Offline skuko

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 09:26:07 »
would buy this in DSA :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 09:35:24 »
They are ironing down the last few bugs on the GB system, I'll push this when everything will be fixed.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 15:36:23 »
It might be too late to ask this but, for us 60% users,
is it possible to get an addon that makes the 5678 keys the lighter blue base ala the function keys?

Also, are there any alternatives to the moon/WIN key?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:10:34 »
It might be too late to ask this but, for us 60% users,
is it possible to get an addon that makes the 5678 keys the lighter blue base ala the function keys?

nope, sorry.

I might introduce blanks

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:20:49 »

I might introduce blanks

Blanks would be awesome!

Offline wasabah

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 18:22:08 »
Blanks would be awesome!
Yes, definitely! I was already disappointed that the Skull Squadron didn't have any blanks. :(

ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:45:58 »
I got some thick high-profile caps with a very similar colorway in my crapbag which really stood out, so now I'm very excited for this one  :D

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 06:12:18 »
I got some thick high-profile caps with a very similar colorway in my crapbag which really stood out, so now I'm very excited for this one  :D
Mind sharing what the cap looks like? Would love to get some sort of irl color depiction  ^-^.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 06:34:50 »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:40:24 »
I would totally buy this keycap set, depending on the price

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 18:24:10 »
Show Image

My blood pressure just sky rocketed..

@ Firebolt,
I believe Matt said in a previous post that it would be somewhere around 90USD -- given that the package will include a lot of things.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 14:58:58 »
I really love this set, and interest has grown after seeing the Calm Depths set in person(if only it wasn't SA profile.) The only issue I have is the yellow coloring on the arrows. I dunno if this has been addressed ITT yet, but it seems offputting. The yellow doesn't seem to match the mood of the set, nor the colorway whatsoever. Would you consider changing it to something that matches the rest of the sets coloring a bit better?

Offline jufa

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 17:16:30 »
yap, why the arrow with yellow color ?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 01:06:55 »
I guess the yellow on the arrow keys is supposed to pick up the the color of the ESC and the ENTER key.

But I agree, I could live without it ;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 02:02:32 »
when I post a picture with yellow arrows, people want blue arrows. When I put the blue arrows, people want the yellow arrow back. I'll choose it for your, don't worry :P

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 02:03:17 »
when I post a picture with yellow arrows, people want blue arrows. When I put the blue arrows, people want the yellow arrow back. I'll choose it for your, don't worry :P

Fair enough   :thumb:

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #295 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 10:03:06 »
60% , we dont need no stinking arrows! 
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline Kempher

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 23:27:32 »
I'm very interested and would love to see it get under way. I too would like to see blanks for this.
SQ-1800 /w Gateron Blacks

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:42:33 »
I love the yellow accents on esc/enter/arrows.

Bright stars in the night sky  :D

Offline soufun4roland

Re: [IC] Midnight set
« Reply #298 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:07:28 »
I've been waitting a long time for something like this...and I wish it would become real as soon as possible.
Lange habe ich schon auf sowas gewartet,und ich hoffe dass es in der naeheren Zukunft realisiert wird .
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:09:11 by soufun4roland »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: [IC] Midnight set
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:32:24 »
just after the granite set. I'll work on a 3D render and then we can start this too.