Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 234024 times)

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #700 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:57:00 »
The quality of the Novatouch is not up the the high standard of the Topre Realforce 87u, and the Novatouch lacks features such as an embedded numeric keypad, NumLock and CapsLock LEDs, DIP switches for alternative settings, and a reconfigurable Fn key. Nevertheless, it is currently the best Topre-switch keyboard with Cherry-compatible key stems, thus opening up a whole new world of customization for those who prefer Topre switches over Cherry mx switches.
Well, considering it is effectively the only Cherry MX compatible Topre switch keyboard, being the best is not exactly a challenge. That is even if you count in the Noppoo 108EC-Pro with the Topre imitation switches.

Offline deci

« Reply #701 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 18:03:43 »
All things considered and despite its flaws and shortcomings, based on my testing and comparing it with other keyboards, I think the CM Novatouch is worth having.

The quality of the Novatouch is not up the the high standard of the Topre Realforce 87u, and the Novatouch lacks features such as an embedded numeric keypad, NumLock and CapsLock LEDs, DIP switches for alternative settings, and a reconfigurable Fn key. Nevertheless, it is currently the best Topre-switch keyboard with Cherry-compatible key stems, thus opening up a whole new world of customization for those who prefer Topre switches over Cherry mx switches.

I consider the feature set of the Kul ES-87 superior to that of the Novatouch, but in my own case, I have yet to try a Cherry mx switch that I like. My favorite switches are capacitive buckling springs and Topre 55g, with Topre 45g a close second. I also like some of the keycaps sets that are available for Cherry mx switches. Therefore, I am glad that I already have a Novatouch in my collection, and I will make it part of my keyboard rotation.

However, before buying another Novatouch, I would hope that CM and Topre would address some of the issues and missing features in the current version of the keyboard by producing the Novatouch 2.0. Altertatively, or in addition, CM and Topre might consider producing a 60% version that could provide competition for the HHKB Pro 2.

Hypersphere, based on your review... I ordered an HHKB a while ago and all I can say is I fell in love with it almost immediately.
I don't know what it is, there's just something special and fun about that keyboard.
I have a novatouch in the mail so I'll be able to compare that soon as well.

Unlike you however, I really like mx keys as well as topre.
Personally for actually typing speed, ergo clears are still the best to me.
If you haven't already you should really trying properly lubed and stickered 62g ergo clears.
Try getting some from GON so you know they are modded perfectly.
Panda clears are also really amazing. I don't know why but the mx black spring makes the clear switch feel completely different than stock.
I know a couple of people who prefer Pandas to Ergo clears.
Coincidentally, putting the clear springs in your black switches to make Ghost Blacks makes the blacks feel way better than stock as well.
And honestly I still really love some nice broken in stock blues.

Variety is the spice of life.

Hurry up novatouch. I need to try out topre with double shot dolch....

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #702 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:18:32 »
All things considered and despite its flaws and shortcomings, based on my testing and comparing it with other keyboards, I think the CM Novatouch is worth having.

I consider the feature set of the Kul ES-87 superior to that of the Novatouch, but in my own case, I have yet to try a Cherry mx switch that I like. My favorite switches are capacitive buckling springs and Topre 55g, with Topre 45g a close second. I also like some of the keycaps sets that are available for Cherry mx switches. Therefore, I am glad that I already have a Novatouch in my collection, and I will make it part of my keyboard rotation.

However, before buying another Novatouch, I would hope that CM and Topre would address some of the issues and missing features in the current version of the keyboard by producing the Novatouch 2.0. Altertatively, or in addition, CM and Topre might consider producing a 60% version that could provide competition for the HHKB Pro 2.
Can you be a little more specific in the quality differences between the novatouch and the real force?

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #703 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:08:18 »
Anyone in Aus/NZ managed to work out where to get one from yet? Auspac just returns with "moo2" when I click the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:10:38 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #704 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:47:33 »
Be interesting to see when it becomes available to Aus.

You mean IF :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #705 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:48:23 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #706 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:49:19 »

Can you be a little more specific in the quality differences between the novatouch and the real force?

Rather than repeat everything, here is a link to my review of the CM Novatouch:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm-novatouch-review-t8687.html#p184191

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #707 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:45:03 »
Keep in mind Hypersphere, that to the best of my knowledge you do not have a final production unit. I will not go into specifics, but the information I have would indicate this to be the case.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #708 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 10:45:59 »
Keep in mind Hypersphere, that to the best of my knowledge you do not have a final production unit. I will not go into specifics, but the information I have would indicate this to be the case.

I don't think this is the case at all. He received a keyboard with the consumer packaging (magnetic black box with velvet bag and accessories), as did I. These aren't prototype boards. The prototypes were given out in white / plain boxes. What leads you to believe that this isn't a final production unit? The product is released to the general public, any NDA should be null and void at this point. Are you just being vague and mysterious for dramatic effect? Spill it :)
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #709 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:21:34 »
I am a European tester for the Novatouch. A lot of those boards you have seen in final packaging are release candidate samples and are not mass-produced SKUs. According to Cooler Master, the production units being sold take into account feedback we have given to them and will have some improvements.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:30:23 by _PixelNinja »

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #710 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:25:54 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #711 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:52:19 »
The information I was given indicates that I have a final production unit.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:44:33 »
If you have key cap color hue variation, loose fitting sliders and a Micro USB connector that angles to the right, then you do not have a final production unit according to my contact at Cooler Master.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #713 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:52:03 »
If you have key cap color hue variation, loose fitting sliders and a Micro USB connector that angles to the right, then you do not have a final production unit according to my contact at Cooler Master.
Looks like I might have been given incorrect information. I didn't notice keycap hue variation, but I did have some loose-fitting sliders, and the cable was indeed a right-angle (angling to the right) micro-USB connector. Thanks for passing along this new information!

Offline jameslr

« Reply #714 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 14:40:23 »
Looks like I might have been given incorrect information. I didn't notice keycap hue variation, but I did have some loose-fitting sliders, and the cable was indeed a right-angle (angling to the right) micro-USB connector. Thanks for passing along this new information!

Same here - looks like we were duped again!
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 14:43:01 »

Maybe the 'fixes' are only for the European market?

Offline deci

« Reply #716 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 14:52:41 »
While almost all the new reviews of the novatouch online right now still have right angle usb connector, this one shows a straight one:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/cooler-master-novatouch-tkl-keyboard.html

So there definitely seems to be two different versions.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:08:18 »
review of CM Storm Novatouch from Legit Reviews http://www.legitreviews.com/cm-storm-novatouch-tkl-keyboard-review_151121/3
"At $199.99, the CM Storm NovaTouch TKL is affordable as far as Topre switch keyboards go, but like other expensive Topre switch keyboards, they’re symbols of PC keyboard gear sluts."
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/cm-storm-novatouch-tkl-keyboard-review_151121/3#1buVyOQhAbelJPok.99
I guess that is what the Gaming gear sluts think about the Keyboard Aficionados and Geekhack'ers. Wow what a glowing reveiw!

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #718 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:17:59 »
Maybe the 'fixes' are only for the European market?
That is not to be excluded as I am dependent on CM's European division.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #719 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:22:13 »

Checking my information again, although I was able to get a CM Novatouch in advance of the general release, I did indeed have a production version ("International ANSI"). The only variations from other production versions are the inclusion of a velvet sleeve and a right-angle micro-USB cable. Other versions do not include a velvet sleeve and could have a left-angle or straight connector. However, these items obviously do not affect the quality of the keyboard or its switches.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #720 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 22:26:06 »

Ok, here is CM Australia's response

"Hi Lauren, stocks is on their way to AU in a couple of weeks. Most of IT resellers should be able to supply."

Offline feizor

« Reply #721 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 04:22:17 »

"Hi Lauren, stocks is on their way to AU in a couple of weeks. Most of IT resellers should be able to supply."

Hope we don't get the loose plunger QC issues.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #722 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 04:25:44 »
Also, the Australian RRP will be around $219.

Offline feizor

« Reply #723 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 04:42:20 »
Also, the Australian RRP will be around $219.

Not bad considering the current exchange rate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #724 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 05:52:11 »

I've seen quite a few computer stores stocking CM keyboards (and other CM products) in Australia, which is good.  Many brands are available at just one or two stores.

I usually go by PCCG - not because they are local(ish) to me, but because they have a wide range and reasonable prices.

Nothing listed there yet :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #725 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 06:06:54 »
The marketing on this is a bit over the top, wouldn't you say?  I'm just going to wait on the sidelines to see what everyone's take on this is.  I was really excited about it half a year ago, but it's been a while.

That's what more of us should adopt a wait and see attitude with this product.  Besides having a 55g REALFORCE should tie me over for some time to come before I start looking at this item.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #726 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 07:40:38 »
I got mine yesterday from NewEgg. First impressions are positive. 85-90% build quality of an RF, I'd say. The bottom out is very crisp, more so than the FC660C. Some stems are tighter than others but none are loose.

The included o-rings don't seem to do much, at least on the stock caps. Are they more useful with GMK caps? Anyone experimented with this?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #727 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 06:10:12 »
The included o-rings don't seem to do much, at least on the stock caps. Are they more useful with GMK caps? Anyone experimented with this?

Yeah you should install some SP made caps (SA Preferred) and/or some GMK's as well.  Then you can make comparisons on which works better on this NEWLY made keyboard  :thumb: .

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #728 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 15:40:44 »
Yeah, the o-rings kinda do almost nothing.
The good thing of the Novatouch ist, after all, that you can get almost any keycap set for it. PBT definitely makes the sound better :)

Photos of mine and a little review (though in German) can be found here: http://mecha-blog.de/review-cooler-master-novatouch-tkl/
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #729 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 16:45:32 »
I hope someone will do a 55g dome transplant into their Novatouch and let us know your impressions. I am considering it -- just don't want to be first! Plus, I have only one board that might serve as a donor, and I might want to make my HHKB the first recipient. I wish we could buy 55g domes from the factory!

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #730 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 17:10:33 »
At this price if the switches are topre class it is going to sell more than they can make.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #731 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 17:57:32 »
I hope someone will do a 55g dome transplant into their Novatouch and let us know your impressions. I am considering it -- just don't want to be first! Plus, I have only one board that might serve as a donor, and I might want to make my HHKB the first recipient. I wish we could buy 55g domes from the factory!
I was thinking of buying one and transiting my rf 55g domes.

I've been hearing varying reviews on if its really worth it. It makes me hesitant.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #732 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 19:11:16 »
Some updates after a couple days of use:

- The included o rings seem very useless - on alpha keys they don't seem to do much at all, and on modifiers they just seem to cause a massive reduction in travel without doing anything desirable. Not really sure why they were included.

- The board doesn't work too well with GMK caps on right shift or enter. For some reason they cause a much higher pitched bottoming-out noise that is bothersome and at odds with the rest of the keys. Doesn't seem to affect any other keys on the board. Also, I should note that I tried a set of thick Ducky PBT and there was no such problem.

- Confession: After all this experimentation, I actually put the stock caps back on the Novatouch. I actually like how they feel/sound on this board. I liked the thick PBT a lot, too, and would have left that on the board except I didn't want the color scheme.

Offline c137

« Reply #733 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 19:30:35 »
 :) With my PBT caps (yes, Keycool - my only set in ANSI) the space bar got stuck because of the stabilizer mounts on the cap and the switch housing. I would have to remove the inner connectors there to make it work properly.

Offline deci

« Reply #734 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 01:31:27 »
- The included o rings seem very useless - on alpha keys they don't seem to do much at all, and on modifiers they just seem to cause a massive reduction in travel without doing anything desirable. Not really sure why they were included.
Hmmm I disagree, the o rings made a huge difference for me. In both feeling and sound.
I think this depends on the keycaps you are using with them.

- The board doesn't work too well with GMK caps on right shift or enter. For some reason they cause a much higher pitched bottoming-out noise that is bothersome and at odds with the rest of the keys. Doesn't seem to affect any other keys on the board. Also, I should note that I tried a set of thick Ducky PBT and there was no such problem.
I have this same problem, except I'm using original Dolch keycaps. For me it's the backspace and the enter key, the r-shift is fine. O-rings fixed the problem on the backspace but the enter key bottoms out super loud.

Hmmm I'll just write a very short review below in case it's helpful for others.

Offline gizzard

« Reply #735 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 01:37:50 »
Got it today.  my thoughts:

1.  Stock caps are so so (no surprise here).  Added Vortex PBT. 
2.  its a lot louder than my cherry brown keyboards.  I think this is because bottoming out is unavoidable (unlike cherry brown)
3.  two shifts and enter have a very different sound..  they seem to bottom out with a louder smack..a tad bit annoying.  added o-rings which helped a tad with the sound (note that o-rings had no effect on non stabilized keys)
4.  Keycap installation with Vortex PBT caps was easy.  Everything fit perfect.

this my first torpre keyboard.  I can see why people love the switches....  to me they feel like a mx brown/blue hybrid.  The activation point of the blue with the smoothness of the brown (no click).

Cool
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 01:43:25 by gizzard »

Offline deci

« Reply #736 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 01:57:26 »
Ok so basically I have been using the Novatouch for about a day.
First and foremost I can say, that you really need to try different key caps on this board.
It makes a world of difference.

My only other topre is an HHKB pro 2 so I can't really compare it to RF or FC660C but here is my experience so far:

When I first got my HHKB, I almost instantly fell in love with it.
There's just something about that keyboard. The feel, the look.
I hate to sound like all the other topre fanatics but there's just some magic to it.

Anyway, when I first got the Novatouch... well after the first 30 minutes I was honestly thinking about how much I could re-sell it for.
The box it came in is really nice!
The keyboard looks minimalist and very sharp.
I like the matte finish on the case as well.
Build quality seems very sturdy. It's not very heavy, but it's not that light either.
I'm not a big fan of the angled usb but the cord is nice and customs are easy to get.

Now for the important part.
I used the regular key caps for about 10 minutes.
The actuation force feels very light. Definitely lighter than my HHKB.
The bottoming out is very hard. Like I could feel my finger tips hitting a raw metal plate.
The topre feel is just barely there. Not so great so far. I kept switching back to my hhkb and shaking my head.

Obviously now I switched the key caps to some thick PBT ones.
I used the very thick blank Vortex ones that were sold on MD recently.
Unfortunately this only improved the feel a little for me.
The bottoming out was really hard... and this is also when I noticed that some of the stabilizers are very loose.
Like they rattle really easily and make an terrible noise when you hit them. Not all of them do this. On mine, it's just backspace and enter.
The space bar for example is fine, as is the left and right shift. (Although the shift keys still don't feel or sound as good as the normal ones)

At this point I was thinking about harvesting stems or just re-selling it asap.
But I had my Dolch Pac 60 in my office so I said what the hell and threw those key caps on there with some rgb mods.
Surprisingly, this felt really nice!
What's weird is that it didn't feel like topre, more like just a very snappy smooth linear switch.
I actually really liked it so I kept using it for most of my work day (I'm a software engineer so lots of typing was involved).

The only problems were backspace and enter were really loud and the bottoming out was still super harsh.
I've actually never felt that bottoming out was hard on any keyboard I own so this was really annoying.
So I decided to try out the o-rings. I've never used o-rings on any keyboard because I've always hated how they shorten the actuation but wth, worth a try.

So oddly enough, as soon as I put the o-rings on. Presto, it now felt like a real Topre.
Bottoming out was pretty soft, sound was much more deep, and it felt much more like my HHKB.
The backspace rattle and sound were much improved as well. Only the enter key is still loud and clacky still :(
I don't know about other people, but one of the things I love about my HHKB is that when I type rolls very quickly or piano my fingers, I can sort of feel / hear the air squishing out of the domes.
This was non existent in the Novatouch until I put the O-rings on. As soon as I did, I got that feeling.

Anyway, now I am quite enjoying the Novatouch and it is my main driver in my office. (Dolch Pac with 65g clears is taking a break for now)

TL:DR  - Make sure you try out a lot of different switches with and without the o-rings on this board before you give up on it. Old School Dolch + O-rings seduced me.
The stabilizers are not consistent and some of them just really suck. The non-stabilized keys are much better. CM should just leave out the stabs.
The feel is lighter than HHKB 45g. So if you enjoy 55g, I highly suggest you wait to see if they release a heavier option later.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #737 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 09:56:47 »
@deci: Your experience with the Novatouch is similar to mine. I was happier with it after replacing the stock caps with Imsto thick dye-sub PBT, along with the O-rings supplied by CM. I noticed that these black O-rings are relatively thin -- they look like the thickness of the red 40A-L rings from WASD Keyboards -- but I am not sure about the softness (whether they are 40A or 50A, for example). Regardless of which keycap set is on my Novatouch, it feels lighter than my 45g RF or 45g HHKB, and definitely much lighter than my 55g RF; of course, this is not a bad thing -- it is a matter of preference.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #738 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 14:40:46 »
Man you guys are making this a hard decision of whether or not to get one! What do you guys think, save up for a GON custom or go for the novatouch?

I also wonder if we could ever get a HHKB styled layout topre with mx compatible switches... That would be holy grail status to me..

Offline deci

« Reply #739 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 14:52:39 »
Man you guys are making this a hard decision of whether or not to get one! What do you guys think, save up for a GON custom or go for the novatouch?

I also wonder if we could ever get a HHKB styled layout topre with mx compatible switches... That would be holy grail status to me..

You could swap the stems from the Novatouch into an HHKB if you really wanted. The only thing that wouldn't work is the space bar.
Or wait and see if CM releases a 60% some day.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #740 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 15:16:25 »

1mm are these supposed to be like alps switches or something?

I thought topre didn't have an actuation point that high. You can "tune" the actuation of a capacitive switch (see xwhatsit's amkey controller topic) What is your experience with the novatouch?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #741 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 15:20:19 »
I love how it says "Low" for bottoming-out noise and just "Yes" for all the others instead of being descriptive (they are all "low", too, eh?).
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline c137

« Reply #742 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 15:22:50 »
The whole thing is made by Topre as CM's OEM.

That said, I don't think 1mm is correct. Should be standard 45cN Topre switches.

Offline deci

« Reply #743 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:13:49 »
I dunno. They definitely feel lighter than HHKB 45g.

Which honestly I'm curious if this was by accident or by design.
Because while the lighter actuation doesn't feel as good for typing... it actually feels better (to me) for gaming.

CM's main keyboard consumers are gamers after all.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #744 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:28:05 »
@deci: Definitely agree that the CM Novatouch feels lighter than my other 45g Topre boards, although thus far this is subjective -- I haven't done any objective measurements.

I also agree about how the feel of a keyboard can be transformed by installing different keycaps and/or O-rings of various types. This was particularly dramatic with my Kul ES-87, as detailed in my review:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63305.0

Offline intelli78

« Reply #745 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:08:18 »
I dunno. They definitely feel lighter than HHKB 45g.

I agree with this. It seems like Topre 45g varies widely. On the Novatouch, it's lighter than an HHKB; on the newer FC660Cs, it's almost like a 55g Realforce. I don't really mind, though - I like how the Novatouch types. The only thing I really don't like so far are the loud right shift, enter, etc. It sounds like it's a systematic problem, wonder if they'll correct it in later production runs.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #746 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:12:13 »
Show Image

1mm are these supposed to be like alps switches or something?

I thought topre didn't have an actuation point that high. You can "tune" the actuation of a capacitive switch (see xwhatsit's amkey controller topic) What is your experience with the novatouch?

I find CM's marketing for this hilarious. They're still giving their best effort to get the gamer crowd to buy it. Not that I wouldn't expect them to, but these buzzwords and shady statistics are pretty much razer-tier.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #747 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:33:56 »
Because while the lighter actuation doesn't feel as good for typing... it actually feels better (to me) for gaming.

Interesting. I love the Novatouch for typing but I am not quite sure I like it for gaming compared to the smoother, linear feel of my FILCO with MX Reds; I think the Novatouch is too 'snappy' for me in that regard — I am still trying to make up my mind.

Additionally, I know their marketing mentions gaming here and there, but my contact at CM has always said to me that gamers are not their main focus with this keyboard. In regards to marketing, companies consider that LEDs are associated with the 'gamer' demographic. This is what I was explained when discussing the Novatouch with CM and if memory serves well Carter has mentioned this somewhere over here too. 

The whole thing is made by Topre as CM's OEM.

I am nitpicking here but only the switches and PCB are made by Topre. Everything else is whoever is Cooler Master's OEM in China.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:37:06 by _PixelNinja »

Offline deci

« Reply #748 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:50:58 »

Interesting. I love the Novatouch for typing but I am not quite sure I like it for gaming compared to the smoother, linear feel of my FILCO with MX Reds; I think the Novatouch is too 'snappy' for me in that regard — I am still trying to make up my mind.

Oh I agree. I definitely prefer mx switches for gaming.

I just meant the Novatouch performs a little better than my HHKB for gaming.

Offline snipars

« Reply #749 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 21:34:42 »
I've bought one from a reddit user rather than wait until mid/late november for it to be released here, i was thinking about buying some Vortex red/white PBT keycaps to put on it, anyone know if they're any good?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |