Author Topic: How do you feel about 'copycaps'?  (Read 37529 times)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: How do you feel about 'copycaps'?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:47:41 »
How the hell did I get on the banned list?  :confused:

How do you know you're banned?

His artisan thread.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:48:29 »

Pacifist perceived that his perception of your perception of his caps was perceived to be negative.

Also, no one took my earlier appeal seriously :(.

So are you sad that you're not banned?

It's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned at this point.  I made my feelings known, others have had their say, and it is what it is.  I'll just be more selective in who I share things with in the future and what guides I make.

And I'm still making my 100% original designs and plan on unveiling a new one tomorrow with a freebie for whoever comes up with the best name for it.  My last caps were a bit more serious than usual and this new one returns to whimsy.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:50:28 »

Pacifist perceived that his perception of your perception of his caps was perceived to be negative.

I just wanna be a part of the exclusive club :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:51:27 »

I can add you to my short list of hidden users if it will make you feel better.

Of course I like you too much to not expand what you say or add you as a friend, but I can still do it if you like.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:52:12 »

It's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned at this point.  I made my feelings known, others have had their say, and it is what it is.  I'll just be more selective in who I share things with in the future and what guides I make.

And I'm still making my 100% original designs and plan on unveiling a new one tomorrow with a freebie for whoever comes up with the best name for it.  My last caps were a bit more serious than usual and this new one returns to whimsy.

Sweet, excited to see it!  ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:52:52 »

His artisan thread.

oh. that's new.   :confused:

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
How do you feel about 'copycaps'?
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:53:24 »

I can add you to my short list of hidden users if it will make you feel better.

Of course I like you too much to not expand what you say or add you as a friend, but I can still do it if you like.

That's sweet of you :)

But no, I don't want you to have to expand to all my good comments...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:56:10 »
His artisan thread.

I don't know a Spamaray or Nubbinator.  I do know a SpAmRaY and nubbinator though.

I tend to support new and novel capmakers (hell, hipsterpunks will tell you that as will JiggityJane who seems to have gone AWOL), but I guess I can't for any of his designs I may like at some point.  Oh well, his loss.

That's sweet of you :)

But no, I don't want you to have to expand to all my good comments...

That's cute, thinking you have good comments.

Kidding man, you're great.

Offline moptimus

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 03:08:38 »
So everyone has their panties in a twist because someone who made keycaps used the same source material as inspiration/model as someone else?

Mountain over a mole-hill people.

If the issue is that one person has directly copied source material for personal gain, without paying royalties to an original user, than why is johny-come-lately the one copping the flak, surely that should be shared for everyone that has used trademarked items as source material.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if you started producing Mickey Mouse caps to sell, you would hear from Disney if you appeared on their radar, regardless whether it was a clay model base, a print on a cap, or just a mold from a figure.

Nature abhors a vacuum, but so does the market, if their is demand for custom keycaps, there will be supply - this can be seen in the rip-off clacks that surfaced, and it can be seen in everyone that makes caps to sell.

nope this isn't what happened at all m8

Well maybe not for you - you are invested in the situation - as an outsider, that is exactly what it looks like.

The artisan thread - he made a cap that looked like another cap that was itself a copy of something else, and than boom.

Filco TKL Brown| Dox Clear| Poker II Brown| QFR Red| Ducky Zero Blue Dolch| Ducky 9087G2 Black

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 04:20:49 »

His artisan thread.

Hahahaha how did I not make the list?? It's more exclusive than clacks dibs list! >.<

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 06:09:29 »
I don't care about copies as long they don't pretend to be the original (fraud).
Often it helps to save money...

- I bought chinese copies of well known knife designs, similar quality but 1/3 the price
- I bought a chinese Terminator endo-skull statue copy, almost the same quality but 1/4 the price

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 06:23:48 »
His artisan thread.

I don't know a Spamaray or Nubbinator.  I do know a SpAmRaY and nubbinator though.

Whew, guess we are still good then. Don't want to have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

And in all seriousness my biggest issue with any of this is there are just too many people out there who don't give a crap about community or keycaps or anything ALL they see are $$$$ and sheeple who will throw money at them. Open your eyes people.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:38:46 »
Thank you for your reply. I don't really consider myself an artist, but I have fallen in love with what resin casting can do, and I am going to take a sculpting class next year to learn more about art and have some more time to make caps.

That's great Pac. I wish you both artistic and financial success (however you decide to define them) -- just do me a favor? Stop with these sorts of statements:

Sheesh, no wonder there are no services like mine. I try to give back to the community and get stabbed in the back for it.

Just... have fun in the keycap casting rabbit hole, and don't try to be (or sound like) an altruist. Make cool **** for the sake of making cool ****, and if you can also make some money in the process, do it, and don't say that "I did it all for you, people!" Be honest. Say, "I did it for me -- to make cool **** and make some money." Because that, Pac, that would be original. Your designs may end up only being awesome in your own eyes, and that's okay too. Just don't conflate buying a pressure pot into tearing down the Berlin Wall, or throwing yourself on top of a financial hand grenade. Say, instead, "I want to make more/better/cooler **** (and money) and so I need a pressure pot."

This teacup tempest (at first) provoked a facepalm, but now I think these kinds of dust-ups are the mark of a creative community. No drama means there's no passion -- nothing is happening. Even with the rustling, GH is a fun place. To wit:

(yet another incredibly brilliant, engaging, perfectly written comment by yours truly)
ooohhh my god i dont care holy COW do i ever not care about whatever you have to say

LOL i actually read it what the hell is going on stop agreeing with me

When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of all who had been martyred for the word of God and for being faithful in their testimony.

:-X

This is totally (sort of) off topic, but I have one of your flocked spacebars and it is awesome.  I've told you this before, but I'm telling you again because it's still true.   :-*

I really didn't want to mention this but since you mentioned it I think now you've forced me to -- my flocked keycaps are still available for sale at techkeys. Check my keycap flocking build log to see all the love that went into making them. And discover the mystery of the keycap bathmat.
Hoff, I'm glad you like the spacebar! Thanks for the mention -- also, keep in mind that when your flocked spacebar starts to gets dirty, it can be gently cleaned with hand soap and some TLC.

Last point and then I'm done: I hope people don't close up their worklogs. That would suck. I think these logs make it easier for others to learn, and some of those people will inevitably become competitors, but they also add perceived value to products. Which is more romantic? Seeing SP or GMK cast dozens of keycaps at once and unceremoniously dumped into a washing solution, or seeing them hand-designed and cast to the sonorous song-stylings of Barry White? So I hope the writeups continue because they're good for business and they push the art form forward.

Sincerely in it for the money,

-K.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:40:55 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Sissy

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:52:47 »
Well this has at the very least been amusing to read

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:02:44 »
My log will stay up.  Pacifist's personal integrity aside there are plenty of great crafters out there who have done wonderful things with the knowledge.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:08:56 »
His artisan thread.

Whew, guess we are still good then. Don't want to have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

And in all seriousness my biggest issue with any of this is there are just too many people out there who don't give a crap about community or keycaps or anything ALL they see are $$$$ and sheeple who will throw money at them. Open your eyes people.

I do not think that is too much of a surprise, nor necessarily a bad thing (maybe I am not correctly understanding what you mean). It is not that far of a stretch to imagine that someone who spends a lot on keyboards would also be willing to spend a lot on unique keycaps.

My log will stay up.  Pacifist's personal integrity aside there are plenty of great crafters out there who have done wonderful things with the knowledge.
Awesome  :thumb: I do not plan on making keycaps, but it is interesting read about the thought that goes into designing and making one.
RETIRED

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:14:57 »
Awesome  :thumb: I do not plan on making keycaps, but it is interesting read about the thought that goes into designing and making one.

It was really interesting figuring a lot of it out!  There were great efforts made by capcrafters before me to document the process.  There's a great deal more information with regard to casting and sculpting on miniature/action figure creation forums.  At the end of the day I'm still just starting out in all of this.

Today, however, I have been inducted into the bestest club!

I suggest others voluntarily join this club.  We can hold meets and eat cake and talk about things like what it would be to be a legit unicorn who can play electric guitar and win.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:16:31 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:33:23 »

It was really interesting figuring a lot of it out!  There were great efforts made by capcrafters before me to document the process.  There's a great deal more information with regard to casting and sculpting on miniature/action figure creation forums.  At the end of the day I'm still just starting out in all of this.

(Attachment Link)

I suggest others voluntarily join this club.  We can hold meets and eat cake and talk about things like what it would be to be a legit unicorn who can play electric guitar and win.

we can call ourselves ATSL

the anti twat super league
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:36:46 »

(Attachment Link)

Man, I never get invited to the cool clubs :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:38:38 »

(Attachment Link)

Man, I never get invited to the cool clubs :p

i dont think it takes much to be able to join, i got on the banlist just by asking a question to him
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:53:03 »

(Attachment Link)

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Best club never ever!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
How do you feel about 'copycaps'?
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:56:07 »
I wish the master of ceremonies would allow my induction into the league :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:57:42 »
I do not think that is too much of a surprise, nor necessarily a bad thing (maybe I am not correctly understanding what you mean). It is not that far of a stretch to imagine that someone who spends a lot on keyboards would also be willing to spend a lot on unique keycaps.

I think people are just too quick to throw money at things and therefore you get people who just start throwing caps out there at $15-20 a pop with no regard for quality or respect for anyone, but that is just my opinion.

Again a lot of this all has to do with the attitude someone approaches this all with both buyer and seller as well as the different way we all perceive things. As you can see there are plenty who are willing to say they don't care about any artists are what someone has to do to make caps or what they have already done, they just want caps now, so take our money. This will in turn lead to plenty of people 'making' caps because they want to line there pockets. In fact I'd say it goes beyond caps to other things related to this hobby but I digress.

Is it free market, supply and demand, maybe but the more I think about it the people who are successful and the people who I respect their cap making, those people just thought they had a cool idea and wanted to try something out, it just so happened that others liked the caps they made and bought them but most of these capcrafters don't just pour out caps by the bag full because they put work and effort into what they do.

Something Krog (that ole' flocker, I like flocked caps to btw), said earlier is so true, we are all passionate about all things keyboard and we all have opinions, and come on it'd be boring if we always agreed with each other.

Also I have thrown my fair share of money at many of the artisans and vendors on here, not all of them but most of them, whether they are cap makers, cable makers etc because I think it is important to support the community.

(Attachment Link)

1st place is best plate, but he could at least spell my username correctly.  :thumb:

And just so no one is confused it wouldn't matter if I was on the banned list or not I wouldn't be buying.

I wish the master of ceremonies would allow my induction into the league :(

Just buy a paccap then sell it to someone on the banned list that'll get you banned.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:59:46 by SpAmRaY »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:01:27 »
Just buy a paccap then sell it to someone on the banned list that'll get you banned.

That would be good advice only his caps are horrible and I'd never be able to sell it to anyone QQ

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:39:59 »
Lol I made the list. Was really hoping to get some of those ;)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:42:41 »
Who knows, someone might be able to hook you up ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:58:39 »

But read the fine print you'll be blacklisted FOREVER if you do that.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:01:38 »

But isn't that like the easiest way to enter this elusive club? :))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:03:10 »

But isn't that like the easiest way to enter this elusive club? :))

Well if that's the intent then sure!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:14:55 »
So this thread has run it's course now, where we've devolved to poking fun at this stupid list, instead of just pointing out to Pacifist that his list is childish, because if those people didn't want them at all, they wouldn't buy them, regardless of what list they're on. Ray, perhaps you should consider closing it voluntarily. Or a moderator should.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:20:58 »
So this thread has run it's course now, where we've devolved to poking fun at this stupid list, instead of just pointing out to Pacifist that his list is childish, because if those people didn't want them at all, they wouldn't buy them, regardless of what list they're on. Ray, perhaps you should consider closing it voluntarily. Or a moderator should.

+1

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:23:11 »

I got this. ;)

Locking thread in 4, 3, 2....1....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:24:15 »
And this threads open again...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:25:25 »
Welcome back!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:32:14 »
I didn't know this was parody.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37066.0

And this was parody of parody?  Mind blown!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41915.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:33:40 »
^ That's respect!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:37:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

I forgot how much I need an OG hapster in my life.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:44:07 »
Schweet. I own an awesome parady of a parody! Love this cap.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:00:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

i still don't have a yellow lister...

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:06:11 »
inb4 parody inception

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:10:46 »
inb4 parody inception

I was going to write that but decided against it... Now I regret it.  Lol.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:17:07 »
inb4 parody inception

Always post first think later.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:09:09 »
Always post first think later regret never.

FTFY :p

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:30:49 »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:48:58 »
inb4 parody inception

Lol. Truth. Will do so from now on. Post first. Think later. Let the feels sink in later, whatever those feels may be.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:50:44 »
inb4 parody inception

I have typed it multiple times today and second guessed it. Litsters post was the perfect time.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:00:20 »
inb4 parody inception

Lol. Truth. Will do so from now on. Post first. Think later. Let the feels sink in later, whatever those feels may be.

I love you.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:04:23 »
So, what you guys are saying is not only did pac copy other people caps, he also copied my parody?  Or, everything he does has prior art before him?  Hum...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 22:40:15 »
inb4 parody inception

I love you.

I love you too.

... Let the feelings set in after typing that first.. . Nothing needs to be changed :-*

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 00:01:42 »
What the hell is going on here....I've been "absent" from Geekhack for far to long.

IMO before you even start making a copy of someone else's design you should ask & receive permission. I asked Click Clack once for permission to paint some keycaps with his skull on them. It would have been just for me so no profit would have been made. But, he didn't say yes and he didn't say no.....so I didn't paint them.

If you do get permission it should never be to make a profit on or marked as an original. Just enjoy making them and using them for yourself.

If you are going to make your own artistic interpretation that is similar to someone else's work than at least tell them so it doesn't come as a surprise...that just sucks! Asking for permission is something I would still advise and please don't sell them for a profit. Give them away or use them for yourself. And of course....don't mark them as originals.

That being said I would like to wish everybody who is making keycaps or looking into it...good luck. I myself would like to start casting my own keycaps and designs.

And in reality most of this conversation could have all been handled through PM's. There is no need to call someone out like this even if that wasn't the threads original intention.

Good luck Pacifist! I can't wait to see what your future keycap casting will bring forth.

Now to get myself a red, flocked IBM spacebar!