Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup  (Read 43429 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:05:45 »
How do you think the winner of Ne vs. Ar will stand against Ge?

I'm actually very interested in seeing who will win if it comes down to penalty shootouts.

Germans normally win the penalty shootout, but because the Dutch and the Deutsch are nearly the same culturally, Germans have no advantage over Niederlanders when it comes to a mind game.

It would be pretty funny if the Argentines can beat the Germans in a penalty shootout though. That would make for a perfect world cup, full of surprises and upsets. I bet most bookies in UK will be bankrupt if Argentines can crush Germany 3-0 on penalties.

You better don't call the dutch german outside of the internet.

Since when Dutch and Germans are the same?  ;)

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:42:08 »

I met a dutchman in the supermarket today, who told me they were playing against Argentina this evening.
I said to him: Nice, we'll be playing against them on saturday :P

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #352 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 12:03:27 »

I'm actually very interested in seeing who will win if it comes down to penalty shootouts.

Germans normally win the penalty shootout, but because the Dutch and the Deutsch are nearly the same culturally, Germans have no advantage over Niederlanders when it comes to a mind game.

It would be pretty funny if the Argentines can beat the Germans in a penalty shootout though. That would make for a perfect world cup, full of surprises and upsets. I bet most bookies in UK will be bankrupt if Argentines can crush Germany 3-0 on penalties.

I hope neither of the final two games come down to penalties.  I hate big games ending with penalties.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #353 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:31:26 »

Or Danes, or anyone else that lives in a country next to Germany.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #354 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:28:18 »

I can assure you that no one will compare a dane to a german in the context of this year's world cup.

Offline pasph

« Reply #355 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:54:37 »
Repeat again "Messi is not Maradona".
Boring hyper tactical match.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #356 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 19:17:16 »
Br vs. Ne, guess the final score for the third place.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 19:18:28 »
Ge vs. Ar, your best educated guess for the champion, and the second place of the soccer world cup 2014.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #358 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 19:21:24 »
Alemania, la copa, se mide no se toca!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 21:08:58 »
In my pub bracket, the only wrong pick I made was Mexico over Netherlands.   And that was a good pick for 87 minutes.   Besides that, my bracket is unblemished.  Now I need Germany to win.  Maybe I'll get a prize.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 21:33:34 »
South American football = boring as ****.

I think I'm done with football after watching Costa Rica (especially their goalkeeper) Brazil and Argentina playing horrible, horrible football. It just doesn't excite me as a sport anymore.

When will the GH NFL fantasy football league open?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 01:48:28 »
Ge vs. Ar, your best educated guess for the champion, and the second place of the soccer world cup 2014.

Germany has become good at attacking.

Argentina has become good at penalties.

This seems to be a reverse of their relative positions a generation ago. But I think Argentina is the underdog this time; Germany is really shining.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 02:42:26 »
there's a lot of **** around grownups on a big lawn tho
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:02:17 »
So disappointed with last night's game... IMO Holland played better than Argentina and deserved to win, but they failed to swap out their goalie before the time was up and it cost them the game. Would have been nice to have two European teams in the final.

The German team is playing very well and I strongly suspect they'll beat Argentina, especially if Argentina play the same as they did last night.

Or as Gary Lineker put it: "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:08:37 »
Or as Gary Lineker put it: "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

Always? Last time was 1990 :(

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:48:05 »
I would not discount the Argentine defense.  They have played very well for all the games, except that Nigeria game, and shut down teams with plenty of firepower like Belgium and Netherlands.  They just do what they have to do.

And if Di Maria is back for the final to take some heat off Messi, they might actually score a goal this time around.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 19:52:42 »

I can assure you that no one will compare a dane to a german in the context of this year's world cup.
Haha that is very true, I was just thinking more in general terms though - if i had a penny for each time I've been asked if I was german.

Offline mauri

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:20:32 »

Haha that is very true, I was just thinking more in general terms though - if i had a penny for each time I've been asked if I was german.

Then what? The suspense is killing me.. A penny?
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:38:28 »

You're on the safe side, man: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-22624104 :P

Offline iri

« Reply #369 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:54:19 »
too much germoney-loving in this thread
need to bring in harmony

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline osi

« Reply #370 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 08:58:17 »
Let's get it Argentina...

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 09:15:08 »

Offline osi

« Reply #372 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 12:03:11 »
Show Image

First the biting....then an unfortunate placement of a knee. Genius, bringing knives onto the field is the next logical step.

:D :D

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 12:04:48 »
mass murder on the football field?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline osi

« Reply #374 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 12:07:08 »
Perfect for a robot chicken claymation short

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #375 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 12:08:32 »

Perfect for a robot chicken claymation short
actually there's a really old animation from norway uploaded to youtube about football being a bloodsport
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 15:07:19 »
just a comment here

I'm cheering for Brazil this time round.

Never thought I would do it. All my life, they have been the top dog. Even when they weren't good, they weren't so bad that they deserved to be considered underdog.

But well, time to cheer the underdog. Let's give them some face and hope they don't get humiliated too much.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline calavera

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 15:39:58 »
I'm beginning to think Brazil only made it so far because of the home buff.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #378 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 15:48:26 »
I'm beginning to think Brazil only made it so far because of the home buff.

That seems to turn into a serious debuff after receiving a goal.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #379 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 17:33:09 »
Another stinker from the home team.  They have the organization of a high school team out there.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #380 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 17:37:23 »
That ref is going to need some protection too!
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #381 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 18:08:54 »

That ref is going to need some protection too!
aids?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #382 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 18:11:22 »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #383 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 01:40:04 »
When Brazil was poor it played far better soccer. The favela kids had to play soccer well to rise up in society, so you had plenty of creative play.

These 10 years have been great for the economy as a whole, a disaster for social consensus (due to income inequality).

This tournament Brazil has been acting like uncoordinated favela thugs. It's very disappointing. But it also reflects their larger social malaise. The country is incredibly rich but the way they coordinate their resources is borderline retarded. Their soccer team shows a similar problem - utter lack of coordination and teamwork.

Argentina has really gotten much better in defense. I'm still for Germany, but I think the Argentines have played well this tournament and would be deserving champions. The humiliation might even be good for Brazilians; they should reexamine the way they do things.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 05:16:45 »
I'm still for Germany, but I think the Argentines have played well this tournament and would be deserving champions.

Did you see the game Argentinia vs. Iran? They should not have won that game, Iran played far better.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #385 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 05:21:29 »

I'm still for Germany, but I think the Argentines have played well this tournament and would be deserving champions.

Did you see the game Argentinia vs. Iran? They should not have won that game, Iran played far better.
how can the team that lost have played better
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #386 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 05:31:09 »
how can the team that lost have played better

If the opponent team plays sloppy but still somehow manages to not take goals they sometimes get lucky and score a goal themselves. Happens often enough. The final score does not always tell the full story.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 09:28:50 »
The final score does not always tell the full story.

So true, and so unfortunate that it is the final word.

Luck is a big part of any game, no matter how hard you try to neutralize it.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline osi

« Reply #388 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:00:28 »
Come on Argentina!!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:16:53 »
Come on Argentina!!

Argentina has a too dense defense, Germany just can't get through even though they're way more aggressive.

Offline osi

« Reply #390 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:26:55 »
!!!!!!!!

That was a niceeeeeeeee goal there Germany.

Well deserved

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #391 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:32:51 »
Revenge for what should have been a yellow-red ;D

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:38:51 »
Thank you very much Germany for not allowing Argentina to win. If that were to happen, there'd be riots everywhere.  :thumb:
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #393 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:40:38 »
SO GEHT DAS!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:41:28 »
Excellent gol.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:44:58 »
such a beautiful shot, well done germany

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #396 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:45:14 »
Congrats to Germany. :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #397 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:45:19 »
Congrats to all the Germans! well deserved  :thumb:

Offline osi

« Reply #398 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:48:11 »
MVP of the game : The blood that was drawn. Gave the squad the adrenaline boost to overtake it.

At the moment of the goal I felt like I sighed with half the planet. The other half cheering - pretty cool

Incredible goal by Germany. Congrats on the win

Good cup overall for sure!!!

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #399 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:53:45 »
There's war on my street. My 9 o'clock appointment will have to go **** itself. I couldn't care less.