Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup  (Read 43065 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:33:56 »
Ofc it is never ideal for a referee to compensate for the lack of earlier calls. On one hand, I think he should be able to compensate if he made a bad call, anything else would be unfair and make it an even harder job. On the other hand, in cases such as this his compensation came late, so late in fact that it left close to no time at all for Mexico to have time to act and score again. They went into the late game with an idea that they could defend their win and late compensatory calls like that can mess up a teams game plan.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:26:46 »
Robben repeated diving pissed me off more than anything.  He spent the whole game trying to sell the dive, finally got the ref to bite on it at a crucial moment, and it won the game for them. 

In a lot of these World Cup games, it seems like the referees are not establishing limits among the players early, so they keep playing rough or trying to sell the penalty, and it ends up with a questionable call in the end.

If these refs busted out the yellow card early, it might set the tone and prevent these sorts of mishaps.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:15:00 »
Bwahahah that goal by Costa Rica :))

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 05:39:46 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 05:52:47 »
Lets go 'Murica.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 05:54:37 »

Offline JackMills

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 17:59:02 »
Lets go 'Murica.

And they kept going :thumb: , but I am glad we won :D

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:43:09 »

Congrats, you guys earned it. Good luck against Argentina. I think Messi realized that he will have to make things happen next game.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:48:01 »

Congrats, you guys earned it. Good luck against Argentina. I think Messi realized that he will have to make things happen next game.
Thanks, the suspense was killing yesterday. If we can do that against Argentina and actually score some of those shots, such a match would be a treat.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 01:19:39 »
Suarez suspended for 9 matches and/or 4 months. Time for therapy to work out his issues.

Or a brain transplant.  A 27-year-old man biting people.   He just needs some women with the same fetish, and get his kicks that way.
or those lego toys which are especially designed to be bitten by toddlers. they are considerably easier to get than a woman with biting fetish.

Most of these footballers, especially the higher paid ones, have the maturity level of toddlers anyway.  ^-^

Remember how Zizou screwed all of France over when he lost it and head butted Materazzi? A 34 year old man, having played god knows how many stressful matches at international level, won Allah knows how many awards, and a few words from a rival footballer can cause him to lose his temper.

One of the top 20 footballers in history, and Z lost the World Cup and an opportunity to exit his career on a fantastic note in a few seconds of anger.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:47:09 »
That loss was crushing.  Tim Howard played out of his mind again.  But they gave them too much wide open space and you could just feel that it was going to happen at some time.

The block party in my downtown was fun, though.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:53:15 »
Courtois also is an amazing goalkeeper.  So much amazing goalkeeping in this World Cup, with Howard, Ochoa, Navas, Courtois, and others.

Such a heartbreaker.  Gosh darnit.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:56:18 »
That loss was crushing.  Tim Howard played out of his mind again.  But they gave them too much wide open space and you could just feel that it was going to happen at some time.

The block party in my downtown was fun, though.
'Murica got the D that game although Tim Howard was amazing
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline calavera

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 14:43:14 »
Such amazing performances! All underdogs in the round of 16 went out swinging.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:08:23 »
Well imo atleast Costa rica has been underdogs the whole tournament! :)

Offline calavera

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:24:50 »
Yes Costa Rica of course. Reminds me of S.Korea in 2002. Don't think they'll get past the dutch though.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:31:52 »
Yes Costa Rica of course. Reminds me of S.Korea in 2002. Don't think they'll get past the dutch though.

Although I like looking at the Costa Ricans play, I hope they don't get past the Dutch. I am hoping for a clash of the Low-Countries in the semi-finals. I believe Belgium stands a chance against Argentina, based on both teams last performance.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #267 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 00:51:42 »

A non-European location seems to have really brought out the best in many underdog teams.

I'm gratified to see how well many teams are doing.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 06:50:50 »
A non-European location seems to have really brought out the best in many underdog teams.

I'm gratified to see how well many teams are doing.

Exactly, there have been a lot of surprisingly good teams this year! Really like to see some change in the top teams.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:31:44 »
Mexico was robbed.  They should've gone to the overtime.  That Penalty Kick in the last minute was bullcrap.  I wish demik was still here to share my outrage.  Our Mexican brothers were the victims of a FIFA conspiracy.  I am sure of it.  He is too, whereverthe  he is right now.

The penalty was an awful call.  Total dive.  Robben went down before there was even contact.  But he sold it well.

I don't think it was a conspiracy, But the referee made a make-up call for at least a couple non calls on fouls that maybe should have been penalties in the first half.

In my view, Robben was diving so much in the game, he should have received a yellow card.  Then that final dive never would have occurred.

I just hate a game to end like that.

Not that I am that much of a soccer fan, but people keep concluding the wrong things about that penalty. The first time he went down, was legit. The second one was a classical schwalbe. But because of that schwalbe, the referee decided to make up for the first one that was clearly and most definitely not a schwalbe but a legit penalty. But people seem only to remember the second one, that indeed clearly was a schwalbe. And it is easy to see why: Robben himself said in the interview afterwards with NOS (Dutch television broadcasting company): "I am thankful that that penalty come. But the first one, I shouldn't have done that. Stupid of me. Lousy action of mine." But of course, the media quickly decided to explain the story as: "he admitted that he made a schwalbe, oh the terror".
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 08:32:02 »
Neymar out for the rest of the Cup.  And Brazil squeaked by again.

Should be some great semis.

Offline calavera

« Reply #271 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 10:43:54 »
54 warnings given. A knee to the spine and not even a yellow card. Refs were biggest problem that match. Now Brazil has to face Germany without Neymar and Silva; two crucial key players in both defense and offense. But it should make for a very good match still since Germany hasn't been really stream rolling through the competition either.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 12:14:25 »
2 inches!! incredible play there

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Kiwi_321

« Reply #273 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 20:43:35 »
I had a great party at my place on friday night / saturday morning. It ended with 10 very sad Frogs.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 07:52:06 »
I had a great party at my place on friday night / saturday morning. It ended with 10 very sad Frogs.
Hang over ...
 :-X
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:17:26 »
54 warnings given. A knee to the spine and not even a yellow card. Refs were biggest problem that match. Now Brazil has to face Germany without Neymar and Silva; two crucial key players in both defense and offense. But it should make for a very good match still since Germany hasn't been really stream rolling through the competition either.

The refs really let that game get out of control.  In my view, they have been letting that happen too many times in this tournament.  Perhaps they have instructions to "let them play."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:39:07 »

The refs really let that game get out of control.  In my view, they have been letting that happen too many times in this tournament.  Perhaps they have instructions to "let them play."

The FIFA guys (I mean administrators not referees) are total scumbags. It's a corrupt organization. That said, I am not comfortable with many referees. They miss too many things.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:45:08 »
Who's excited for Germany vs. Brasil today? :D

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 10:28:55 »

The FIFA guys (I mean administrators not referees) are total scumbags. It's a corrupt organization. That said, I am not comfortable with many referees. They miss too many things.

Part of it has to do with the origins of the referees.  A lot of these guys officiate in small-time leagues with less refined quality of play.  Australia, Chile, etc.  I just cannot imagine they can adjust to officiating the level of play at a World Cup without making a mistake.

As discriminatory as it may be, the World Cup referees need to be selected from the top leagues, the leagues that send the teams deep into the Champions League and the Club World Cup.  Regardless of how good these referees are in their domestic league, the type of soccer they see at home does not compare to the quality and style at the World Cup.

Also, FIFA needs to pay these referees enough to prevent them from being persuaded with a bribe and provide them tight security to prevent threats to their life.  Perhaps dip into that $1 billion FIFA trust fund.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 10:32:43 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 10:29:54 »

Best game ever! Would have loved to see Neymar and Reus be playing here though.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 10:38:12 »

This guy.  I will miss the first half at work, but scoot home and catch the second half.  The second half is always more exciting, anyways.

Pulling for Germany.  I picked them to win it all in my pub tournament bracket.

Also, considering that Brazil built their game around Neymar, I think it may be tough for them to adjust.  The supporting cast will need to step up.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 11:42:16 »

So excited  :D :D

Offline JackMills

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:26:52 »

This guy.  I will miss the first half at work, but scoot home and catch the second half.  The second half is always more exciting, anyways.

Pulling for Germany.  I picked them to win it all in my pub tournament bracket.

Also, considering that Brazil built their game around Neymar, I think it may be tough for them to adjust.  The supporting cast will need to step up.

Not to spoil anything but the second half can't be more exciting than this...

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:32:25 »
Oh boy, that's a rape.
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:32:37 »
If you missed the first half, I feel for you.

What. The ****. Is going on.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:33:45 »
This is hard to watch...

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:34:00 »
I can just imagine how dangerous it must be in Brazil right now. The police must be quite busy!

Man, it's a real carnage ...
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:36:35 »
I can just imagine how dangerous it must be in Brazil right now. The police must be quite busy!

Not right now, but later. Things are about to get ugly.  ^-^

Offline osi

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:39:06 »
Just tuned into this--whered the beat down come from?? ☺

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:41:13 »
Just tuned into this--whered the beat down come from?? ☺

Capitulation and evidence that one man teams don't get very far.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:47:07 »

I hope the German team has some good protection when returning to their hotel.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:50:55 »
THE TEARS ARE DELICIOUS

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:53:59 »

Nothing happened to the Clombians. I'm sure they'll be applauded.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:56:16 »
I just turned the tv on and its 5 to 0. is this real life? lol

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:56:33 »

I hope the government calls in the Army to protect the Brazilians.

There are going to be riots tonight.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 15:57:11 »
I predict 7-2.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:01:55 »
I predict 7-2.

most goals was 10-1 Hungary-El Salvador, would be nice to break that record :)

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:04:05 »
This is a joke,haha!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:05:36 »
I predict 7-2.

most goals was 10-1 Hungary-El Salvador, would be nice to break that record :)

It would, but I think the threat of violence from manager and populace will be too much of a kick for Brazil, but I think Germany still have more goals in them.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #299 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:26:27 »
Well... 5 more reasons not to like Germany...