Author Topic: [IC] CF-LX Ultra-light Carbon Fiber 60% Case  (Read 38745 times)

Offline Hellcatz

Re: [IC] CF60 (CF-LX?) Ultra-light Carbon Fiber 60% Case
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:49:18 »
Awww ya damn will be so down but don't you need gons permission?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: [IC] CF60 (CF-LX?) Ultra-light Carbon Fiber 60% Case
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:51:25 »
Awww ya damn will be so down but don't you need gons permission?

For a 60% with a mid layer? No, we aren't copying his design.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: [IC] CF-LX Ultra-light Carbon Fiber 60% Case
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 23:49:12 »
I'll have an update with final pricing tomorrow, we should hopefully be able to get this up and running sometime next week
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 00:39:56 »
Since this is still in the interest check stage, what are the chances of offering a happy layout?  Assuming you would have >10 people interested that is.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but wanted to ask.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 00:44:45 »
Since this is still in the interest check stage, what are the chances of offering a happy layout?  Assuming you would have >10 people interested that is.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but wanted to ask.
Judging from price tiers right now, as long as those people would be willing to pay a few dollars more I'm sure I could provide a happy layout plate as another add on

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 00:47:01 »
Judging from price tiers right now, as long as those people would be willing to pay a few dollars more I'm sure I could provide a happy layout plate as another add on

If it ends up being offered, I would be interested.  Regardless though, I plan to purchase a case.  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:46:31 »
Great news! Turns out the prices are cheaper than originally quoted and are actually in the $60s

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:50:42 »
Great news! Turns out the prices are cheaper than originally quoted and are actually in the $60s

Even better!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:56:14 »
Would look great if you could do a dark gold stand offs. Maybe even a dark bronze. Is the cf coated or uncoated?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 14:13:19 »

I may actually be able to afford one now.  :)
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 14:25:49 »
Would look great if you could do a dark gold stand offs. Maybe even a dark bronze. Is the cf coated or uncoated?
I'm looking at different colors for standoffs right now. Deciding on coating
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:07:21 by hwood34 »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:16:05 »
Is it possible to give different colors to CF like for ALU? If yes, would you intend on offering different color for case or Greg/metal will be the only one?

Good news on the price indeed. Did you get a quote for the price of the middle layer?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:18:47 »
Is it possible to give different colors to CF like for ALU? If yes, would you intend on offering different color for case or Greg/metal will be the only one?

Good news on the price indeed. Did you get a quote for the price of the middle layer?
I'm just doing one color. And yup, in the OP: $20

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:21:03 »

I'm just doing one color. And yup, in the OP: $20
Alright. My bad I didn't check the OP. Thanks for the answer.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:22:40 »
As the middle piece will be black, would it still be interesting to have side led on the PCB?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:23:43 »
As the middle piece will be black, would it still be interesting to have side led on the PCB?
Well, it might be a tiny bit dimmer, but they would still work I'm sure.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:23:43 »

there are a multitude of pcbs that offer Leds on the bottom or sides, those should be compatible with this board.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:26:50 »
Well, will the middle have a high opacity due to the black color? If yes, then we wouldn't see the light from the side led, would we?

Offline Melanic

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 16:34:17 »
Question about the mid layer. How thick will it be? From the concept picture it seems like it would have to be pretty thin to go around the standoffs and not extend past the plates, unless it was integrated with the standoffs.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:19:16 »
Question about the mid layer. How thick will it be? From the concept picture it seems like it would have to be pretty thin to go around the standoffs and not extend past the plates, unless it was integrated with the standoffs.

The standoffs sit inside the mid layer.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:24:31 »
If people want a mid layer the standoffs will need to be moved. The original plan was no layer so I made them flush with the border because it looks better.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:27:05 »
If people want a mid layer the standoffs will need to be moved. The original plan was no layer so I made them flush with the border because it looks better.

I'm good either way. Don't need the middle layer to have my purchase (buying either way) but it would be a welcome addition.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:36:54 »

I'm good either way. Don't need the middle layer to have my purchase (buying either way) but it would be a welcome addition.
I'm working on a design that would allow for the mid piece to fit "with" the standoffs

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:45:24 »

I'm working on a design that would allow for the mid piece to fit "with" the standoffs
Cool looking forward to see how it looks.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:00:36 »
97013-0
97015-1
97017-2

These are just a few colors I chose to render in 1080 because I don't have much time today. I won't be able to render any more until tomorrow but if anyone wants any colors just request it. Tomorrows renders will be 4k like my earlier ones.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:12:46 »
Can we get a dark purple render? :D
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:52:06 »
Thanks for the renders, Joey. This thing is looking really good. Just wondering what PCB I would use.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:56:40 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:03:20 »
Can we get a dark purple render? :D

For sure, I'll do it tomorrow.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:11:25 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

These are just a few colors I chose to render in 1080 because I don't have much time today. I won't be able to render any more until tomorrow but if anyone wants any colors just request it. Tomorrows renders will be 4k like my earlier ones.

Cool, good job Joey, thanks. I thought at the beginning that there would be only one color which was black. I guess I just misinterpreting.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:13:23 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Looking good :thumb:. We're getting closer and closer to getting this buy going. Prepare your wallets everyone!

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:16:10 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Looking good :thumb:. We're getting closer and closer to getting this buy going. Prepare your wallets everyone!

Ready for this case? Absolutely! Ready for everything else to turn this case into one of the pieces of a completed board? Possible.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:36:25 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Ready for this case? Absolutely! Ready for everything else to turn this case into one of the pieces of a completed board? Possible.
Well we can't just have this case lying around unused, can we?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:49:38 »
So actually looking at renders for the acrylic is doesn't look like we'd really need to change it from how it is now. As for coating, does anyone here know if putting switches in and out would cause any sort of substantial dust to get pulled up from the CF and be dangerous?

Offline Melanic

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 21:50:31 »
Just to toss an idea in. Would it be possible to have a carbon fiber mid layer? It would basically just be a rectangular band that goes around the outer perimeter of the stand offs. Would mean the stand offs need to be off set by the thickness of the CF layer, or the plates be made a bit bigger. Just think it would look nice as all carbon fiber. Not sure how much it costs to manufacture a piece like that though.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:05:43 »
Just to toss an idea in. Would it be possible to have a carbon fiber mid layer? It would basically just be a rectangular band that goes around the outer perimeter of the stand offs. Would mean the stand offs need to be off set by the thickness of the CF layer, or the plates be made a bit bigger. Just think it would look nice as all carbon fiber. Not sure how much it costs to manufacture a piece like that though.
I'll look into a full CF case. Considering CF didn't turn out to be much more than acrylic, it might not be that pricey

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:05:37 »
Also is anyone here interested in an all-acrylic vergo? Like one of these just slightly edited

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:30:33 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

green oO
I'm sold, invoice me already pls.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:56:34 »
Also is anyone here interested in an all-acrylic vergo? Like one of these just slightly edited

It looks really nice indeed. Are you considering a clear/milk middle layer as well?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:55:22 »

So actually looking at renders for the acrylic is doesn't look like we'd really need to change it from how it is now. As for coating, does anyone here know if putting switches in and out would cause any sort of substantial dust to get pulled up from the CF and be dangerous?

Should not be necessary. 1.5 mil CF is plenty strong and at that thickness pretty chip-resistant.

It can be conductive so there should be some foam or shelf liner under the PCB.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:01:33 »

I'll look into a full CF case. Considering CF didn't turn out to be much more than acrylic, it might not be that pricey

Solid CF of that thickness is actually quite expensive. I'd you're used to acrylic, etc where the price difference is negligible between 1.5mil, 5 mil, 10 mil (maybe double 1.5 mil), it doesn't price the same. 5mil can be 10x 1.5 mil.

Honestly, if you want "ultra-light" then the acrylic mid layer kindof kills that. So in that case you would want to use standoffs (good) or pieces of CF tubing and threaded rod (better, but only a little).

I love CF as a material and it's fine to use the acrylic if you want it. Just saying it takes away from the ultra-light aspect quite a bit.  Just want people to have proper expectations.
I'm back.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:03:43 »

It looks really nice indeed. Are you considering a clear/milk middle layer as well?
I'm deciding on colors right now, but since this is just gonna be a quick mini-run it won't be anything super fancy

Should not be necessary. 1.5 mil CF is plenty strong and at that thickness pretty chip-resistant.

It can be conductive so there should be some foam or shelf liner under the PCB.
Alright, so maybe just a layer of like black shelf liner attached to the top of the bottom piece?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:09:21 »
Exactly. Doesn't even have to be attached, friction will hold it in.
I'm back.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:10:18 »

Solid CF of that thickness is actually quite expensive. I'd you're used to acrylic, etc where the price difference is negligible between 1.5mil, 5 mil, 10 mil (maybe double 1.5 mil), it doesn't price the same. 5mil can be 10x 1.5 mil.

Honestly, if you want "ultra-light" then the acrylic mid layer kindof kills that. So in that case you would want to use standoffs (good) or pieces of CF tubing and threaded rod (better, but only a little).

I love CF as a material and it's fine to use the acrylic if you want it. Just saying it takes away from the ultra-light aspect quite a bit.  Just want people to have proper expectations.
That's the main reason I'm doing a mid layer as an add on. If people want it additionally, fine, but not at the cost of the original buy's aim.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:20:41 by hwood34 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 17:50:11 »
so if anyone wants to draw me up a happy layout 1.5mm plate I'll get a quote on it and we can get this rolling

Offline ImDaBaron

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:08:11 »
I'm definitely interested

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:52:13 »
so if anyone wants to draw me up a happy layout 1.5mm plate I'll get a quote on it and we can get this rolling

I'll do it later tonight.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 22:36:50 »
I'll second the interest on a happy layout :) still being new to all of this I assume by happy you mean the hhkb pro 2?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 23:07:12 »
I'll second the interest on a happy layout :) still being new to all of this I assume by happy you mean the hhkb pro 2?
yessir

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 23:10:05 »
Perfect. I just bought a HHKB so this would look awesome with it :D Will definitely buy.