Author Topic: Monterey K101 w/odd switches – photos & video added  (Read 5151 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Monterey K101 w/odd switches – photos & video added
« on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 06:20:36 »
Hey guys,

I found a Monterey K101 in a thrift shop yesterday:

I thought it might have Alps switches, but when I removed a cap, I didn't recognize the switch type:

Do you know what they are? Something unremarkable, probably, but I checked a lot of photos and couldn't find anything like it.

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 02:23:11 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Nover

Re: Monterey K101 w/odd switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 06:22:23 »
Mitsumi Miniatures with MX mount, theyre quite nice actually. :)
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:38:11 »
Right you are... Here's a Deskthority page about a Chicony 5191 with some.

I really like these switches. They're very crisp, quick, tactile. Rather like Cherry browns... A bit more resistant, but they spring back very quickly. Fun to type on! The sound is like a toned-down Model M: clacky, but not in your face.

This doesn't look like it was ever used. There's some yellowing around the lower right corner (most noticeably the tenkey 0 and 1), but otherwise it could've just come out of the box.

Notice that the key between left Ctrl and Alt is blank; it doesn't generate anything. Wonder what was up with that?

BTW, I didn't remove the F11 keycap; it was missing. Anyone know where I can get a cap for a switch like that?

Here are a few more photos, if anyone's interested. (Sorry about the distortion. My son misplaced my SLR's charger, so I'm using my wife's little point-'n'-shoot camera.)

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:18:41 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:40:47 »
Weird about that blank key. I have an FK-8000 with the same exact layout, including that blank key. Wonder what it's purpose is supposed to be
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:42:09 »
Weird about that blank key. I have an FK-8000 with the same exact layout, including that blank key. Wonder what it's purpose is supposed to be

Maybe the Windows key wasn't really a design decision... Maybe it just started appearing, like a mutation, and this was one of the stages.  :?)

I just found that Cherry caps fit these perfectly. Does anyone know where I could get an F11 with this profile?

UPDATE—This cap's dimensions are:
   Base: 18 x 18 mm; top: 10 x 12 mm; height: 10 mm

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2015, 21:02:41 by ander »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:51:50 »
Hmmm, so these switches are okay then? Saw a Chicony I think with these the other day, but I had no idea what they were. Interesting.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 16:53:59 »
@ander:

You'll find the switch here: Switch recognitionCherry MX mount recognition; obviously it helps to spot that they're Cherry MX mount in order to scour the correct category, as you'll soon see just how many switches there are. The photo on the wiki is of a loose switch, as that's all I have; an in-situ photo is preferable to show how it appears in a keyboard.

Blank keys are common: it's a low-cost approach to 101/102 key designs (ISO keyboards in Europe have one extra key) and even non-ANSI/ISO keyboards such as some Amigas still have a blank key in the US layout. You can see how the blank key is used on my K102:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Tulip_ATK_030244
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 03:09:00 »
Hmmm, so these switches are okay then? Saw a Chicony I think with these the other day, but I had no idea what they were...

Well, I sure like them... I hesitated to say anything, though, till I knew if any of the KB gods here thought they were worthwhile.  :?)

Daniel: If you're "boring", I'd rather not meet anyone who's interesting.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 16:30:23 »
I got a bag of these switches NOS from Devlin. Based solely on a loose switch, the feel seems to be superb (albeit scratchy), but I've not tried them in a keyboard. Experience from others indicates that they have real trouble with off-angle binding, presumably as a consequence of their size. It seems that they're like Cherry ML — just about viable for single-unit keys, and nothing more unless the keys are stabilised. They're a bit like Cherry ML with really long travel.
Bore Awards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 16:44:17 »
Well, I sure like them... I hesitated to say anything, though, till I knew if any of the KB gods here thought they were worthwhile.  :?)
Never think like that! There's a switch out there for everyone, and everyone thinks differently.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 05:36:22 »
I got a bag of these switches NOS from Devlin. Based solely on a loose switch, the feel seems to be superb (albeit scratchy), but I've not tried them in a keyboard. Experience from others indicates that they have real trouble with off-angle binding, presumably as a consequence of their size...

I've experienced the angle-binding syndrome. A friend once gave me a KB with Fujitsu Peerless switches that had to be pressed straight down. I thought they were just old, but apparently it's a characteristic... The Japanese are into precision, so maybe someone thought it would encourage people to type more accurately.  :?)

I wouldn't describe Mitsumis that way at all, though. Not these, at least. Maybe they start changing after a few years' use, but for now they're happy and snappy.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:48:47 »
My FKB4700 (Peerless) was scummy so I stripped and cleaned it. The stabilised keys felt terrible after that — it makes me wonder if the stabiliser posts were lubricated originally that I cleaned off all the lube by mistake. All the single-unit keys are completely free from binding and the 1.5 unit modifiers work pretty well (and you can press them diagonally sideways from a corner just fine).
Bore Awards

Offline Altis

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:05:04 »
Good find! Maybe post a typing video so we can get an idea for how it sounds.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 19:53:53 »
Maybe post a typing video so we can get an idea for how it sounds.
DO ITTTTT

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 03:44:33 »

Really? You're serious? I could do that, but I want to be sure you're not just pulling my keyboard cable.

Offline Altis

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:31:53 »

Really? You're serious? I could do that, but I want to be sure you're not just pulling my keyboard cable.

Of course I'm serious. I'm interested in how they compare with similar boards.

I know I'm not the only one around here who's spent some time on YouTube listening to all kinds of keyboards.  :-X
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:25:10 »

Of course I'm serious. I'm interested in how they compare with similar boards.

I know I'm not the only one around here who's spent some time on YouTube listening to all kinds of keyboards.  :-X
Guilty xD .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:59:48 »
I'm out of town for a few weeks, but I'll post a video here when I get back. I hope you can tolerate the suspense till then.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:01:37 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Monterey K101 w/Mitsumi Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:26:20 »
(Sorry, I didn't do the attachment thing right, and couldn't seem to fix it—so I'm starting over! Admin, feel free to delete this...)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:43:20 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Monterey K101 w/Mitsumi Miniatures (photos & video added)
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:46:19 »
Hey guys,

The nice people at WASD made me a replacement Cherry-mount F11 for my K101. The profile was a bit high—but fortunately, while the Mitsumi Miniature's mount is the same shape, its stem is shorter, so I was able to Dremel 2mm off of the keycap's channel to make it the right height. The color isn't an exact match, nor the printing (a bit of space after the F would've been nice), but it withstands a casual inspection:

100469-0

100471-1

I wiped the keys down with alcohol, but there wasn't a bit of grime on them—so even though it wasn't in a box, this KB doesn't seem to have been used.

100473-2

The keys turned out to be double-shot:

100475-3

...except for the F-keys and Esc, which are dye-subbed—however, the blank "macro" key (between L Ctrl and Alt) is double-shot, go figure!:

100477-4

Lots of stabilizers, including two on the big-ass Enter, going different ways:

100479-5

Rather than using hooks molded into the keys' bottom edges, the stabilizers attach to the keys via separate little brackets that fit into the keys' extra channels.

I thought it was funny how L Shift was completely double-shot, but R Shift only half (maybe this is common?):

100481-6

100483-7

Here's the tenkey area showing stabilizer brackets and guides. I'm not sure how that LED got bent, but they must fit back into tiny lock-light slots shaped like the skinny ends of the LEDs... That took a bit of time 'n' patience.

100485-8

(I did get the plate quite clean, BTW, but this camera picks up every speck of dust!) PCB, as long as I was here:

100487-9

As promised, I've made a short typing video for you. (Watch without guilt!)

It's fun having a board with switches that actuate at the top (after a slight bump); much different from my other mechanicals, but enjoyable. I feel lucky to have found fresh examples of this rather uncommon switch.

Special thanks to Dorkvader for the IDI USB converter he provided me—for some reason, other converters didn't work with this board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 02:25:11 by ander »