Author Topic: What's your definition of being an 'established member'??  (Read 31608 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: What's your definition of being an 'established member'??
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:26:02 »
More
The only thing I've figured out is that they're like action figures/comic books/toys for keyboard fanatics.  So like a Pokemon of sorts for keyboard enthusiasts.  I definitely don't get it, but it is neat to see how much time and detail goes into the artisans.  They definitely are art, no question about it.  :thumb:

That is an interesting parallelism; is there a keyboard historian interested in make some research on the subject?
No one?  This would make a fascinating study!

It's funny you guys mention this.  When I met up with Lastpilot, it was during a business trip he made to WI with his colleagues.  They all work to preserve the oral history of their region, so they all were absolutely fascinated with our hobby (I brought a decent amount of keyboards with me so they got a good sampling :D ).  One colleague in particular wanted to document our little corner of the internet, but of course it would be a daunting task and I'm sure it won't actually happen, but still - the interest was there.  ;)

I guess Tactile got a new mission: Tell old stories from GH's past.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:30:14 »
More
The only thing I've figured out is that they're like action figures/comic books/toys for keyboard fanatics.  So like a Pokemon of sorts for keyboard enthusiasts.  I definitely don't get it, but it is neat to see how much time and detail goes into the artisans.  They definitely are art, no question about it.  :thumb:

That is an interesting parallelism; is there a keyboard historian interested in make some research on the subject?
No one?  This would make a fascinating study!

It's funny you guys mention this.  When I met up with Lastpilot, it was during a business trip he made to WI with his colleagues.  They all work to preserve the oral history of their region, so they all were absolutely fascinated with our hobby (I brought a decent amount of keyboards with me so they got a good sampling :D ).  One colleague in particular wanted to document our little corner of the internet, but of course it would be a daunting task and I'm sure it won't actually happen, but still - the interest was there.  ;)

I guess Tactile got a new mission: Tell old stories from GH's past.

Do it!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:31:30 »
Seriously, that's a damn good idea Hoff. Easily the best thing to come outta this thread.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:20:30 »
Yes!  Make it happen!

I was just thinking about this earlier today.  The digital age has made it so much easier to preserve history and stories and whatnot.  But because it's just as easy to lose this stuff, it seems that a lot of recent history is disappearing.

Case in point--family photos.  Before digital cameras, we had albums (ours go back to before 1970).  But now that there are digital cameras, we take the shots, enjoy them and then file them away someplace we don't remember.  And then eventually due to a hard drive crash or whatnot, poof!  They're gone.  No history preserved even for a decade.  Apply this globally and we're going to be a race that has the historical sense of 10 second Tom from the movie 50 first dates.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 04:13:49 »
If I do not care about artisan's key caps at all; that, makes me a not established member?
Artisans are just one subset of geekhack, sure they tend to drive most of the posting traffic but they aren't required.

I have very few anymore, mostly I just keep things that are sentimental now.

It is not hard to understand how an expensive manufacturing process like double shot molding drive high prices for small plastic parts like key caps; but, it is a little hard to understand how hand made key caps may command insanely high ones. Aesthetics apart, that is a very personal matter, the economics of the last ones is just too out of context even within the already bizarre value environment of our hobby.

But Artisans only sell for $12 to $35 or so, don't they? I don't recall a designer selling for higher than that. ;)

Besides, each and every artisan requires time and effort by the designer, doubleshots are machine made.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 03:49:20 »
Someone who notices the site rollback, maybe shrugs, and just keeps on posting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:52:41 »

I must not be an established member.  :confused:  I hate rollbacks...  :(

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:53:43 »

It's like Deja Vu, except I'm creating it, instead of experiencing it.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:49:08 »

Curious - were you here for r00tw0rm?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:24:30 »

Curious - were you here for r00tw0rm?

Nope!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:35:32 »

I was like, uh, what happened?  Found some threads I replied on, and replied again.  Some better than others.  Where's my 5.5mm deep socket again?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:48:13 »

I was like, uh, what happened?  Found some threads I replied on, and replied again.  Some better than others.  Where's my 5.5mm deep socket again?

That was the longest discussion of a 5.5mm deep socket I've ever been privy to.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:56:49 »

That was the longest discussion of a 5.5mm deep socket I've ever been privy to.

I really nearly lost it in that thread!  I felt like giving instructions on which direction to turn the damn thing!  I just had to realize that some folks have never taken them out, and could seriously damage the shell if they get too aggressive. 
*sigh*

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:27:07 »
Established member status can be obtained through the following acts,

Category A) Have you taken part in a thread about keyboards, food, photography, pets, beards, figures, DIY, or TP4?

Category B) Have you posted a gif of your emotional response in the form of a beautiful entertainer?

Category C) Are you aware of your need for therapy?

If a member can not relate to either of the categories and stopped posting after post count 50.  I would consider them to be a lurker at best.

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:30:51 »

Category A) Have you taken part in a thread about keyboards, food, photography, pets, beards, figures, DIY, or TP4?

Category B) Have you posted a gif of your emotional response in the form of a beautiful entertainer?

If a member can not relate to either of the categories and stopped posting after post count 50.  I would consider them to be a lurker at best.

I am a lurker*luker*lurker?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:49:59 »

Show Image

Needs more tp4

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:58:56 »

Show Image

Needs more tp4

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:40:40 »
Having an Avatar that doesn't change all the time.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:43:47 »

How the avatar does have something to do with being a member?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:45:44 »

Where did I hurt you bby?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:50:56 »
Well, it seems that some folks identify with members more by their Avatar than by the Username.  Everyone has their preference.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:56:09 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 12:58:06 »

Show Image

Awww c'mon LOL you already used that joke!  But seriously.  Hahaha.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:20:52 »
Well, it seems that some folks identify with members more by their Avatar than by the Username.  Everyone has their preference.

I skim through the posts, and the avatars at the edge of my vision provide a clue who wrote the post.

I don't often actually read the user names, so it kinda bugs me when people change avatars, especially to one similar to what someone else has already used.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:49:29 »

I skim through the posts, and the avatars at the edge of my vision provide a clue who wrote the post.

I don't often actually read the user names, so it kinda bugs me when people change avatars, especially to one similar to what someone else has already used.

I do the exact same thing

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:47:27 »

I do the exact same thing
I think I've always done the same thing, and hence why I'm always hesitant to put up an avatar since it needs to be more of the 'permanent' type.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 03:48:13 »
Mine doesn't change much.

There's not many people who don't change theirs at all.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:11:48 »
I have changed mine a few of times, for 24 hours or less, but it confuses me, too, probably just as much as anybody else.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:47:22 »
It's impossible to quantify "established" but I think it's definitely somewhere well after 100 posts.

I just went back into my profile and read some posts I had made around the 100 mark. Some real gems in there, including (1) asking BunnyLake to add keys to a GB after ordering had already closed; (2) asking what a Korean custom is; (3) giving Binge suggestions on how he might streamline his cap-making process (I've never even seen a casting setup).

So yeah, a 100 post minimum is generous.

I've got so many cringe posts that are painful to look back on - like me trying to guess how much I can flip GMK sets for after they have been run, asking for nibs (this was before I tried scoops mind you)

In the ctrl[alt] blog they had an interview with the guys and I thought Bunny summed up being an established member really well as by how much you bring to the community - GHer's like Booper despite having a relatively low post count will probably contribute more than I ever will

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:48:18 »
I have missed out on my first Clack sale. And I have at least 100 posts. Am I one of you now?  ^-^

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:55:24 »

Mine has changed a bit but is always the Silent Bob head shot.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:59:53 »
I have missed out on my first Clack sale. And I have at least 100 posts. Am I one of you now?  ^-^

I am sorry, but until someone has ran at least a GB with custom made legends, or new materials and when she has built a splitted custom, direct wiring, with custom made machined plates designed by her, that person cannot be considered a established member.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:00:00 »

My only change was adding Halverson in the background.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:09:47 »

Only big change I've had is switching from the photo to the Noko edition.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:15:07 »

I like this sort of modification - I'd add a santa hat to Snake Plissken if I gave a **** about the holidays

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:42:52 »
A well established member is the individual that has ran a GB with over one thousand individual buyers, he has also won the keyboard of the month ones or twice, has served as moderator for a year or more, has a set, switch or some keyboard thing named after him and has over 10k posts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:44:57 by ideus »

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:49:35 »
ignore
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 12:10:58 by BrewCaps »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:55:30 »
Interesting discussion but doubt it will change anything.

What exactly are you hoping to change?

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 12:10:15 »
Wrong thread.v  :-X

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:28:30 »
A well established member is the individual that has ran a GB with over one thousand individual buyers, he has also won the keyboard of the month ones or twice, has served as moderator for a year or more, has a set, switch or some keyboard thing named after him and has over 10k posts.

That sounds fairly specific ...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:47:52 »

Also, I don't think that anyone meets the requirement...  :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:15:07 »

Also, I don't think that anyone meets the requirement...  :p

That's the point, this thing of being well established is by its nature questionable and in a deep subtle way a bit discriminating. I always feel that this community is everything but sectarian, GH has always encouraged new fellows to join, to express and to enjoy being part of our collective interest in keyboards and related stuff.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:25:24 »

Aren't we all?