Author Topic: What's your definition of being an 'established member'??  (Read 31549 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
What's your definition of being an 'established member'??
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:12:11 »
I'm just curious what others think as it seems it doesn't take much to call yourself that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: What's your definition of being an 'established member'??
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:12:48 »
When you master gifs. I'm gif-tarded :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:15:14 »
Established member?  People know who you are.  That's about the extent of it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 01:18:24 »
More than 8000 posts?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:23:01 »
Being anti-AFK is a must. 

#Ronery4ever also gives you priority during selection sweeps.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:23:31 »
Be tp4, this is the only way.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:48:28 »
ironpup + 55
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 03:50:22 »
I guess to me it would seem like when a large amount of users know you/know of you, and it's on a good basis.

Pre-req: has to be fluent in GIFs (sorry CPT) but not required to be used at all times.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:13:51 »
I don't really know or care whether someone is an "established" member or a newbie, and don't see that it makes much difference.  My most active section is MST where I'm often helping hit-and-run members fix their builds - this can only do good for the reputation of the site in general and if they choose to stay around that's great, but if not I've saved some space in landfill.

My other posts are generally artisan encouragement/appreciation and opinions but they're all impersonal so I don't get "known."  I guess that's the difference - I know of tp4s roneriness, I know many members have wives and/or children, some who are in school or work crazy shifts...  To me these are established members as I know more about them than the topic at hand, even though by this measure I will never be an established member as I'm too private.

When it comes to selling stuff if I like someone's attitude I'll deal with them and the only bad experience I had was when I went against this (was on head-fi, not here) so it's a strategy that has served me well.  People are either respectable and trustworthy or they aren't, they don't become these things with increased account age or post count.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:27:41 »
imo an established member is generally someone who has been around for a reasonably long time, mostly being active, but has also brought something unique and significant to the community. examples I can think of are Matt3o (granite, PBT topre spacebars, etc), intelli78 (TA), BunnyLake (group buys out the wazoo, random giveaways, overwhelming generousity). people that essentially everyone on the forum knows of.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:33:30 »
imo an established member is generally someone who has been around for a reasonably long time, mostly being active, but has also brought something unique and significant to the community. examples I can think of are Matt3o (granite, PBT topre spacebars, etc), intelli78 (TA), BunnyLake (group buys out the wazoo, random giveaways, overwhelming generousity). people that essentially everyone on the forum knows of.

I'll just slide quietly into the background.  No-one likes my posts anyway, so Tapatalk tells me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:35:57 »

I'll just slide quietly into the background.  No-one likes my posts anyway, so Tapatalk tells me.

I just know you post a ton and love yellow.

we didn't forget about you.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:40:01 »

I think being the most welcoming member to when it comes to newcomers, not to mention being known board-wide as THE Yellow Guy, counts as unique and significant  :-*

for real though, I'm sure there are many active members on this board that might not have logged back into GH after posting in the New Members board if it wasn't for you

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:42:19 »
OTOH there's a lot that post once, and never come back.

What about all those bio-0engineers we had a while back?  At least a dozen of them, all from different companies with different, but strangely similar, web sites that they were kind enough to link in their intro posts.

That was a bit weird!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 05:18:05 »
An established member gets the meaning of  'thank you for your input'.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 05:22:29 »
Other established members know who I am and I know who they are.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 07:08:41 »

I'm not sure if some forums have a 'like' feature for tapatalk or what but I've not seen anything like that for geekhack on tapatalk.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 07:17:52 »
An established member gets the meaning of  'thank you for your input'.
Cracks me up every time.

Has there ever been an update to that, if he is paying the $1/week?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:08:00 »
I think a true established member is he who owns lots of clacks

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:09:44 »

Or has there own church

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:11:08 »

Look at this 0posts noob, no brocaps for you.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:18:02 »

Or has there own church

Pfff, there is no evidence of that!

Look at this 0posts noob, no brocaps for you.

I am just a humble geek!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:27:06 »
Stuck around for more than 6 months.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:07:15 »
Being muted all the time like Demik:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=9142

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:33:11 »
Anyone who has the gall to call themselves an established member while dishing out insults to someone who has contributed much more than they ever will is definitely not an "established member"

Offline Glissant

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:41:27 »
More than 8000 posts?

Wow, rowdy. Your post count is insane. What happened? LOL

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:45:50 »
OTOH there's a lot that post once, and never come back.

What about all those bio-0engineers we had a while back?  At least a dozen of them, all from different companies with different, but strangely similar, web sites that they were kind enough to link in their intro posts.

That was a bit weird!

But you're the only person who reads ALL the intro posts!  Geekhack's own 1-man welcoming committee.  :))

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:47:21 »
Stuck around for more than 6 months.

I've been here for 3 years, and I don't think really anyone knows me (granted, I didn't post much if at all during that time).

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:14:56 »
Been around for a bit, active poster (doesn't mean you have 2000 posts), people recognize your avatar/ username, and you talk to GH members outside GH (text, Skype, Snapchat, whatever).
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:28:38 »
Been around for a bit, active poster (doesn't mean you have 2000 posts), people recognize your avatar/ username, and you talk to GH members outside GH (text, Skype, Snapchat, whatever).

in other words, never change your avatar once you pick it or else people will forget who you are.  :):p :))

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:48:09 »
Contributing to the community with more than just posts. I know it sounds **** coming from me, but guys like TJ, Binge, nubs, Bro, Bunny, CPT, tigersharkdude, Pexon (too many to name them all) do lots for people both in public and behind the scenes.

Then there are those who do everything in their power to make everyone feel welcome, those trying to make GH as appealing and open to people as they can.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:42:44 »
100 posts.

Damn, didn't work.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:45:44 »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:57:05 »
Someone I instantly recognise, and know what they are like
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:02:31 »
Idk :(

100 posts isn't hard to work towards but I guess there is a lot of lurkers that don't like posting?

Maybe we should get established member tags after a certain point above our avatars?

Certain time/post count to get it?

Blah idk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:08:43 »
Idk :(

100 posts isn't hard to work towards but I guess there is a lot of lurkers that don't like posting?

Maybe we should get established member tags after a certain point above our avatars?

Certain time/post count to get it?

Blah idk

Well they have stars for different post levels but then some people get all bent out of shape over those.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:11:46 by SpAmRaY »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:40:32 »
Anyone who has the gall to call themselves an established member while dishing out insults to someone who has contributed much more than they ever will is definitely not an "established member"

Someone did this?  O.o  Link pls.  :)

Established Member is relative and subjective.  :P

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:41:18 »

Was the guy who wrote the open letter to Bro

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:42:41 »

Oh I read that, my bad.  Must have skipped over that phrase.  :-[   Thanks :)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:44:15 »

Oh I read that, my bad.  Must have skipped over that phrase.  :-[   Thanks :)

No worries :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:07:22 »
When someone takes the time to become your dedicated hater, you know you've made it on GH.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:31:27 »
When someone takes the time to become your dedicated hater, you know you've made it on GH.

Probably this.

I'm sure I have made some enemies over political/social non-keyboard stuff, but when it comes to keyboard-related info, I try to keep it pretty straight-up.

I was amused by the poster who attributed "establishment" in terms of buying/selling activities such as group buys.

Although I have made dozens of business transactions with members over the years, I look at this as an informational site regarding keyboards and an entertainment site regarding personal and social issues. Buying and selling seems strictly incidental to me.

But of course I am generally indifferent to Cherry MX and Topre pieces, which is where 98% of the group buys concentrate.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Coreda

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:36:05 »
I'm just curious what others think as it seems it doesn't take much to call yourself that.

Is there some context missing from this thread? Seems like it's referring to some post.

Edit: okay, let me guess, it's this thread right? Literally read it after this one in the Spy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:38:26 by Coreda »

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:56:43 »
There are elite members, and mostly everyone knows who they are. The GB runners, the original designers, the altruistic, the spam-happy but oh so witty. Sometimes they change, adapt, some leave, some show up new and become elite. but always they are there. And generally to be established, you need to know and be known by a few of those elite. Or be in my situation where they own stuff I made and I can switch on the secret controls and turn them into Cybermen, and take over the world.

Or get familiar enough with some of them to insult them without causing real offence. Harder to test that though :P Ask that useless key-hugger {insert familiar name here}
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:57:56 »
Or get familiar enough with some of them to insult them without causing real offence. Harder to test that though :P Ask that useless key-hugger {insert familiar name here}

Gahh, get a load of this guy, amirite?

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:01:50 »
It always throws me off when people change avatars.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:02:03 »

Gahh, get a load of this guy, amirite?

**** you mod! Anarchy rules, GATTACA! GATTACA! GATTACA!

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:35:27 »
I feel like an established member even though I have sub 200 posts and am probably relatively unknown to most. I think I've been on GH for a few months and reddit for much longer. I recognize everyone who is on both sites and love seeing GH/redditors active on both forums. I've pm'ed a few of you who I see as also being established members but with many more friends and time spent on here. I feel like some of you are becoming my close friends even though you may not see me the same way. I guess what I'm saying is there are some people who post little and have a big impact and those that post a lot and also have an impact. Post count doesn't matter to me its how you treat others. If you are nice to me then thats all that matters in being an established member. IMO

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:38:16 »
Anyone with "SPAM" in their name I am suspicious of.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:11:27 »
It's impossible to quantify "established" but I think it's definitely somewhere well after 100 posts.

I just went back into my profile and read some posts I had made around the 100 mark. Some real gems in there, including (1) asking BunnyLake to add keys to a GB after ordering had already closed; (2) asking what a Korean custom is; (3) giving Binge suggestions on how he might streamline his cap-making process (I've never even seen a casting setup).

So yeah, a 100 post minimum is generous.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps