Author Topic: [IC] Colors - Cherry Profile  (Read 38679 times)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Colors - Cherry Profile
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:22:52 »
Have you considered gamer kits?

I definitely like the look of some of these.

I'm also curious (more in a theoretical sense) what might "Color" novelties look like? Obviously novelties aren't an option with GMK, but if you did SP DCS, it might be fun to toy around with. That said, I get this is supposed to be a simpler set, so maybe better to just not deal with that.

This meant for the GMK modifiers, no gamer kits or novelties.

I want these to be Cherry profile but not specifically by GMK, although I based the colors off their swatches. Nothing's set in stone and I'm exploring all options. :)

Err yeah I just meant Cherry profile, he's been asking for DCS in multiple threads. Also I so absolutely no value in gamer kits or novelties considering people are interested in this for the fact that they can mix and match with other sets.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:31:56 »

I'm also curious (more in a theoretical sense) what might "Color" novelties look like? Obviously novelties aren't an option with GMK, but if you did SP DCS, it might be fun to toy around with. That said, I get this is supposed to be a simpler set, so maybe better to just not deal with that.

I want these to be Cherry profile but not specifically by GMK, although I based the colors off their swatches. Nothing's set in stone and I'm exploring all options. :)

Err yeah I just meant Cherry profile, he's been asking for DCS in multiple threads. Also I so absolutely no value in gamer kits or novelties considering people are interested in this for the fact that they can mix and match with other sets.
I figured as much but wanted to clarify for the others who might expect this to be GMK. If the gamer kit won't add significantly to the prices I might just add them, it's only 4 keys, or I might add them to an extra pack with spacebars.

Simplicity is key, so I'd like to know what others think.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline lashiel

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 02:41:25 »

As thesis said, I think it's pretty clear upon reading the thread that nothing is set in stone :)

As I said in my post, I was merely raising the possibility. I don't claim that the set needs, or even that I need those options. I was just curious if they had been considered. Particularly in regards to novelties, I'm tickled by thinking about what a novelty for a concept which is literally "Colors" would even be--even if such a thing never sees the light of day.

If I'm perfectly honest, I too prefer GMK over an option like DCS.

Regardless, I think this is a neat idea, and I look forward to seeing it develop more.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 03:18:42 »
As thesis said, I think it's pretty clear upon reading the thread that nothing is set in stone :)

As I said in my post, I was merely raising the possibility. I don't claim that the set needs, or even that I need those options. I was just curious if they had been considered. Particularly in regards to novelties, I'm tickled by thinking about what a novelty for a concept which is literally "Colors" would even be--even if such a thing never sees the light of day.

Regardless, I think this is a neat idea, and I look forward to seeing it develop more.

I made mockups for gamer keys in the early stages of the IC, and after checking them out again I have to say I'm not a fan.  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 04:04:19 »
Has yellow not won yet?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lashiel

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 11:18:17 »

I made mockups for gamer keys in the early stages of the IC, and after checking them out again I have to say I'm not a fan.  :))

Entirely fair. I'd be curious to see what they look like, if you still have renders? You could PM me :p

But yeah, I can actually see how they might not work.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 16:16:19 »

Entirely fair. I'd be curious to see what they look like, if you still have renders? You could PM me

But yeah, I can actually see how they might not work.
We're talking about WASD keys right? There's a couple of mockups in the first post, purple and yellow.  :)

Offline lashiel

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:31:07 »
So as it turns out, I'm apparently blind.

Yeah, I dunno, I could go either way on those. I like the idea of a splash of color in the alphas, but I can also see it looking super weird.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 18:08:15 »
So as it turns out, I'm apparently blind.

Yeah, I dunno, I could go either way on those. I like the idea of a splash of color in the alphas, but I can also see it looking super weird.

Here's the album, I have renders with gamer keys with the full TKL in view, and colored spacerbars as well: http://imgur.com/a/e5fI6

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:15:19 »
We reached 200 votes on Massdrop! Apparently, you can vote for three options but only one vote counts, which would mean 202 people actually voted. I though it was maybe 70 or 80 people that voted for three options. A nice surprise, especially since I didn't really post new threads for the poll. :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:32:05 »
We reached 200 votes on Massdrop! Apparently, you can vote for three options but only one vote counts, which would mean 202 people actually voted. I though it was maybe 70 or 80 people that voted for three options. A nice surprise, especially since I didn't really post new threads for the poll. :)
I don't dare to ask renders for the Tsangan kits, but are those planned as well?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 06:16:43 »
I don't dare to ask renders for the Tsangan kits, but are those planned as well?
Ahh yes, the kits. I'll probably make a poll to gauge interests for kits. :)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: [IC] Colors - PBT Dyesubbed Step Sculpture 2
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 15:08:45 »
I have an updated mockup, Massdrop is in talks with a manufacturer, but due to MOQ limitations the set will be limited to one color (most probably cyan from the poll results), with high MOQ. I will have to ask if we can have extra keys, like maybe Mac (Command and Option). This will be PBT dyesubed, with Helvetica font, in what is probably known as step scuplture 2 profile.

I included a red mockup, these are the two most popular colors according to the Massdrop poll.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 15:19:43 »
The IC is for the entire set or just the mods?

Offline Lepidus

Re: [IC] Colors - PBT Dyesubbed Step Sculpture 2
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 15:20:18 »
I have an updated mockup, Massdrop is in talks with a manufacturer, but due to MOQ limitations the set will be limited to one color (most probably cyan from the poll results), with high MOQ. I will have to ask if we can have extra keys, like maybe Mac (Command and Option). This will be PBT dyesubed, with Helvetica font, in what is probably known as step scuplture 2 profile.

I included a red mockup, these are the two most popular colors according to the Massdrop poll.

Show Image

Varmilo keycaps?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 17:17:56 »
It's for the entire set.

@Lepidus yes.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 07:26:43 »
It's for the entire set.
May I suggest? Run it separately. Alphas are identical in both set, let people choose wheter to buy 2 sets of alphas and each of the mods, one set of alphas and both mods or mods alone.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 07:30:35 »
Only one set is going to run, I know it makes more sense to run the mods separately from the alphas or even without the alphas, but the current plan is just one set, not two. I just provided them the mockup for the second most popular color in the poll.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 07:32:19 »
Only one set is going to run
I know, I was trying to be persuasive about the other mods set.
Pretty please?  ;D

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 07:42:24 »
Only one set is going to run
I know, I was trying to be persuasive about the other mods set.
Pretty please?  ;D

I was on mobile earlier and made it short. Anyway, the custom colors demand a high MOQ which is why we're only going to run one color for now. I don't think a mod kit of a single color (with high MOQ) is that desirable, and I'm not sure if a lot of people (outside of geekhack) already own low profile, dyesubbed PBT sets. I imagine Massdrop knows a lot more about this stuff and their target market than me.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:00:03 »
the custom colors demand a high MOQ
Which color is actually custom in this set?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:02:34 »
The mods, all of them. At least for the manufacturer who agreed to do them.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:14:17 »
The mods, all of them. At least for the manufacturer who agreed to do them.
So it's not GMK, is it?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:16:02 »
No it's not, it's PBT dyesubbed.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:23:21 »
No it's not, it's PBT dyesubbed.
Interesting. Do you have a quote for the price?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:41:37 »
Not yet, and I can't really communicate with the manufacturer, language barrier...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 08:51:52 »
Not yet, and I can't really communicate with the manufacturer, language barrier...

It should be a Chinese one.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 09:31:24 »
Yep

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 10:17:35 »
This is cool, but I'm a little sad that the purple and pink won't be available.  anyways, nice work on this  :thumb:

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 22:40:47 »
Interested in the mods for sure. Would these be in Cherry profile, and if they are what company would be producing them? Vortex? JTK? EnjoyPBT?

I personally prefer PBT dye-sub, so you totally have my support there. I would most likely buy one full set and another mod set in a different color.

I would also DEFINITELY buy an ESC pack with one of every color. An "enter" pack would be awesome as well.
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 02:04:05 »
I will probably grab hella of these
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 02:58:04 »
Interested in the mods for sure. Would these be in Cherry profile, and if they are what company would be producing them? Vortex? JTK? EnjoyPBT?

I personally prefer PBT dye-sub, so you totally have my support there. I would most likely buy one full set and another mod set in a different color.

I would also DEFINITELY buy an ESC pack with one of every color. An "enter" pack would be awesome as well.

I will probably grab hella of these

Sorry, but the current plan is just 1 set for now, probably the Cyan set based on the poll. MOQ is too high from what I'm told. I'll discuss with Massdrop our options and how to proceed. Nothing is set in stone, so I'm not giving out details as they might still change. Thanks! :)

Offline garoti

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 05:13:04 »
I like blue (N5) - grey (CC)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:48:22 »

Will people prefer colored caps, or colored legends on dark modifier?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

edit: Might as well add this:

Show Image

Definitely prefer the colored legends on dark mods.

Would be all over those first three.
Especially cyan! <3<3

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:44:52 »
This seems to be in pretty advanced stages for an interest check, but I'd love to see an Ergodox modifier set like this at some point in the future. It'd be great to finally have the option for cherry profile keys for dox users.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:21:39 »
I'm really loving the color-on-black mods, would be great for mixing with og cherry alphas.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:33:40 »
This seems to be in pretty advanced stages for an interest check, but I'd love to see an Ergodox modifier set like this at some point in the future. It'd be great to finally have the option for cherry profile keys for dox users.

PBT dyesubbed version will probably be the first one to be made. Also, because of the custom nature of ErgoDox layouts, blanks is usually the way to go, but maybe keys with default legends/profiles and a pack of blanks is doable (except it all depends on the pricing again). Splitting kits also introduce the problem of MOQ for the individual child deals.

I'm really loving the color-on-black mods, would be great for mixing with og cherry alphas.

There's no commitment, but I've talked to people and even if it won't be soon, I expect it will be made (double-shot version).  :thumb:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:35:04 »

There's no commitment, but I've talked to people and even if it won't be soon, I expect it will be made (double-shot version).  :thumb:

Oooh, didn't realize you were shooting for dyesub. I'm sure those would easily moq as a modifier pack in doubleshot though.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:38:01 »
Oooh, didn't realize you were shooting for dyesub. I'm sure those would easily moq as a modifier pack in doubleshot though.

It just so happened that PBT dye-sub will most likely be made sooner, and I should really finalize that one soon.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 11:52:29 »
Updating mock-up:

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 00:28:47 »
Updating mock-up:

Show Image

This looks great, I'm definitely still interested in this. Keep us updated!
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 07:22:32 »
Updating mock-up:

Show Image

This looks great, I'm definitely still interested in this. Keep us updated!

That is a beautiful blue!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:48:14 »
Updating mock-up:

Show Image

That looks like Bluegaloo with black legends.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:39:20 »
Updating mock-up:

Show Image

Show Image

I did a poll with all the colors in the OP, and people wanted the cyan. Even the other variants I showed looked like hyperfuse or some other sets.

People want cyan, it's got nothing to do with other sets.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:21:17 »
Updating mock-up:

Show Image

Show Image

I did a poll with all the colors in the OP, and people wanted the cyan. Even the other variants I showed looked like hyperfuse or some other sets.

People want cyan, it's got nothing to do with other sets.

It was just an statement about a fact, that's all, nothing against your buy, though. I like that color, however, I am not sure if I want another set in the same base color, but that is just an old fart's preference so it means nothing.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:32:18 »
I understand, but people come here and they can say "oh he copied a set" which is far from what was intended. Because of MOQ we had to settle with one color, and it's not the color I preferred but it's what came first in the poll.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 08:24:43 »
Is this the same set that just popped up on Massdrop?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 08:37:27 »

Oh, yeah it is. I know it was going to drop but I thought it will be tomorrow.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 08:38:41 »

Ah, okay. Can you confirm that it won't include the stepped Caps Lock? Not sure whether you already addressed that, but I noticed it doesn't show in the mockup.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 08:44:04 »

Ah, okay. Can you confirm that it won't include the stepped Caps Lock? Not sure whether you already addressed that, but I noticed it doesn't show in the mockup.

It won't, this had to be very simple because of the MOQ since it uses custom colors. Also, I'm not sure but I don't think Varmilo has molds for it.