Author Topic: [IC] Colors - Cherry Profile  (Read 38632 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: [IC] Cherry/GMK Colors
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:53:18 »
I reeeeeally like the blue/grey and the green/grey. I think the idea of alphas as main and then modifier add on packs is a great idea, although I'm not sure how it would work with GMK's MOQ. You may end up with getting the alphas through then diluting it too much with lots of coloured alphas.

Also, would this include numpad as well?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:09:12 »
I reeeeeally like the blue/grey and the green/grey. I think the idea of alphas as main and then modifier add on packs is a great idea, although I'm not sure how it would work with GMK's MOQ. You may end up with getting the alphas through then diluting it too much with lots of coloured alphas.

Also, would this include numpad as well?
Yes it will include a numpad, at least a full layout hopefully. Also, it's not final that this will be GMK, I'll have to ask around.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:12:16 »
Can we get white mods like on this Commodore PC-10 board? -> http://i.imgur.com/nVUdFT2.jpg
Yes, but right now the idea is to choose  the first colors according to the poll results, although I would like to eventually have most/all colors available as mods.  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:16:37 by thesiscamper »

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:10:07 »
Green and gray combo looks so good. I wants it. I want too many things that I see on this site.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:12:21 »
Green and gray combo looks so good. I wants it. I want too many things that I see on this site.

It only gets worse the longer you are here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:16:51 »

It only gets worse the longer you are here.

QFT
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC] GMK Colors
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:33:10 »
Crazy thought I had when reading the title.

What if you did a set of escape and enter keys in these colors?

You would get interesting accent keys and real life examples of the colors.

I really like this idea, especially if ISO happens :D

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline logomachy

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 20:25:59 »
Give me accents!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: [IC] Colors - Cherry Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:40:52 »
This will most likely not be GMK, so I updated the title.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:58:37 »

Any idea for who will be manufacturing these?
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:16:01 »

Any idea for who will be manufacturing these?

I can't really say at the moment, will update as soon as I have more info. I'm also not saying GMK is out, if we fallback to just the mods GMK is the very likely candidate, but at the moment I'm aiming for the alphas too.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:04:30 »
I would maybe change it to something like: "Dark alphas with coloured mods - Cherry Profile" because just "colors" doesn't really describe anything, and IMO it's a great looking product.

I think going for someone like Signature Plastics would be a good bet, we have had a LOT of GMK buys over the last 6-12 months, and SP can do it for a very reasonable price, lower MOQs, and they don't compromise on the quality. Yes, It won't be quite as high a quality as GMK, but SP are a very good compromise.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:11:43 »
I would maybe change it to something like: "Dark alphas with coloured mods - Cherry Profile" because just "colors" doesn't really describe anything, and IMO it's a great looking product.

I think going for someone like Signature Plastics would be a good bet, we have had a LOT of GMK buys over the last 6-12 months, and SP can do it for a very reasonable price, lower MOQs, and they don't compromise on the quality. Yes, It won't be quite as high a quality as GMK, but SP are a very good compromise.

Good point about the name, I haven't really thought about a good one and went with a descriptive one initially (GMK Colors). I do have to mention the dark alphas somehow until I decide on a real name, thanks!

Regarding SP, they have their hands full at the moment so unless I go with DCS which a lot of people seem to dislike, this will just add to the several spherical sets already being made/planned.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:42:40 »

Good point about the name, I haven't really thought about a good one and went with a descriptive one initially (GMK Colors). I do have to mention the dark alphas somehow until I decide on a real name, thanks!

Regarding SP, they have their hands full at the moment so unless I go with DCS which a lot of people seem to dislike, this will just add to the several spherical sets already being made/planned.

You don't have to think of a name, but yeah I guess it's a process :)

No way, we definitely need more Cherry profile sets. I do like DCS and SA, but you gotta go with Cherry. I'm not really sure who else there is, but I've not actually taken part in that many GBs.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:45:44 »

You don't have to think of a name, but yeah I guess it's a process :)

No way, we definitely need more Cherry profile sets. I do like DCS and SA, but you gotta go with Cherry. I'm not really sure who else there is, but I've not actually taken part in that many GBs.

Great! I want this to be Cherry profile too, I'm asking around and will give an update when I can.  :thumb:

Offline ripwallet

Re: [IC] Dark Alphas + Color Mods - Cherry Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:53:00 »
Big fan of the purple and yellow sets. GMK makes quality stuff, if the price is right i'm interested.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:55:16 »
Once you go cherry profile, you cant go back.
I'm always down for cherry profiled mods, as long as they include ISO support and the price is right.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:04:46 »
Maybe colored spacebars could lure some interest. Perhaps as standalone kit or as part of their respective mod kits' colors.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:14:10 »
Maybe colored spacebars could lure some interest. Perhaps as standalone kit or as part of their respective mod kits' colors.
Ahh yes, I did the 3D mockup before the 2D mockup which has colored space bars and gamer kits. :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:20:32 »
Ahh yes, I did the 3D mockup before the 2D mockup which has colored space bars and gamer kits. :)
Do show us.  ;)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:25:07 »
Do show us.  ;)

Here's a quick screencap!  :thumb:

edit:
fixed hidden layers

edit edit:
wrong layers again
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:53:54 by thesiscamper »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:35:00 »
Now that red spacebar looks interesting. Any plan for 3D renders anytime soon?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:48:32 »

Sure, I might upload one later. Not for every color though! :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:49:50 »

Can't wait.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 04:42:23 »

Can't wait.

Yellow and Red with the mod and gamer kits.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:22:23 »
Hats off to your renders. Those spacebars look good.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:40:04 »

Thanks!

I need help figuring out the best way to break up the sets, I hope you guys can share your thoughts. I understand too many options will dilute the set and endanger meeting the MOQ, but please note if this ever pushes through the initial run will be for two or three colors mods only.

On to some questions:

• Do the ISO guys need/want multi-colored Enter/mod keys?
  • Should the numpad number keys be included in the alphas, or separated from everything?
  • Should the gamer keys be included in one big kit with all the color options?

Here's the current 2D mockup:

Offline lolpes

Re: [IC] GMK Colors
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 07:09:15 »
Crazy thought I had when reading the title.

What if you did a set of escape and enter keys in these colors?

You would get interesting accent keys and real life examples of the colors.

Esc I think there are a ton of them right now but yeah more is never enough xD, Enter yes! basically the dream would be:
Mod pack for:

Enter
arrows
Enter and + for numpad

All in various colors :3

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 07:32:47 »
First off, I don't have the knowledge, the time and the resources to organize a group buy, I never have and never will, so I'm not teaching anything to anyone here, just sharing my opinion if it's welcome.

What I would do, is to split the GB into two separate ones. One for mods and one for alphas, although this might lead to problems with the numpad.

As for the mods, billnye's Electric Bluegaloo is simply the best example and advice you might seek. I would just replace the very first key with an Esc and add a 1u Backspace.

Also, I would leave the gamer kit out for a two main reasons: They have to match the mod kit so they are likely to end up in it and people would find themselves paying for it even if they don't want it. Secondly, a gamer kit is strictly QWERTY which wouldn't match international kits, if you plan any, such as AZERTY, let alone Dvorak or Colemak.

Lastly, if you're going for Alphas alone, check interest on international kits.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 07:53:31 »

Thanks!

I need help figuring out the best way to break up the sets, I hope you guys can share your thoughts. I understand too many options will dilute the set and endanger meeting the MOQ, but please note if this ever pushes through the initial run will be for two or three colors mods only.

On to some questions:

• Should the numpad number keys be included in the alphas, or separated from everything?
  • Should the gamer keys be included in one big kit with all the color options?
Here's the current 2D mockup:

Show Image

The gamer kit should be a separated one coordinated with alphas, instead. Choose one to start a GB and to check the community interest. The color should go well with common sets like Beige and Black, as well as with Hyperfuse, Dolch and TA in order to get some market. The modifiers are complements not stand alone sets.

If it would be GMK the recent billnye has the hype up recently and yours may be very welcome, as a sort of rerun of Bluegaloo, however you should get some vendors getting some units to reach MoQ.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 07:58:23 »
First off, I don't have the knowledge, the time and the resources to organize a group buy, I never have and never will, so I'm not teaching anything to anyone here, just sharing my opinion if it's welcome.

What I would do, is to split the GB into two separate ones. One for mods and one for alphas, although this might lead to problems with the numpad.

As for the mods, billnye's Electric Bluegaloo is simply the best example and advice you might seek. I would just replace the very first key with an Esc and add a 1u Backspace.

Also, I would leave the gamer kit out for a two main reasons: They have to match the mod kit so they are likely to end up in it and people would find themselves paying for it even if they don't want it. Secondly, a gamer kit is strictly QWERTY which wouldn't match international kits, if you plan any, such as AZERTY, let alone Dvorak or Colemak.

Lastly, if you're going for Alphas alone, check interest on international kits.

The only things missing from Electric Bluegaloo that would make it perfect are the windowed caps. Otherwise, yeah, perfect.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:42:41 »
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll check out billnye's Gb later.

Offline kebby

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:33:24 »

I'd say it's hard to go with no color on those since you'll be left with a gray enter and mismatched shift keys, doesn't really look that great... Even if offering ISO is still such a rarity that ISO users may settle for less in some cases.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:57:41 »
Purple and Grey would be the only keycap set I would ever need!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:12:31 »
Purple and Grey would be the only keycap set I would ever need!
It's the second most voted color in the poll. :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:53:10 »

If you are not going to try to source the sets from GMK it would be wise to remove the GMK sampler image from the OP; that, would confuse some people reading it for the first time.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:05:43 »

If you are not going to try to source the sets from GMK it would be wise to remove the GMK sampler image from the OP; that, would confuse some people reading it for the first time.
Okay sure, I left it because I based the colors off those swatches but you have a point.

Offline clochette

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 04:18:14 »
would prefer if it was by GMK though

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:33:13 »

I agree.

OP should put that into the poll as well.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:42:39 »

I agree.

OP should put that into the poll as well.
I'll probably let the current poll run a few more days, then choose the top colors and finalize the kits. After that I'll ask for quotes, I'm not sure if I can publicly share the prices and MOQ,  if I can we'll probably have another poll to see who should make the sets (if factories are interested to make them).

Offline just66in

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:47:03 »
Purple | Grey
Yellow | Grey

I WANT!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:51:08 »
Purple | Grey
Yellow | Grey

I WANT!
You and me both, buddy :D

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:10:03 »
So I looked at billnye's Electric Blulegaloo, and he did it as one big mod pack. I updated the mockup, hopefully this is what you guys meant, since the poll is still open I haven't finalized which colors will be left and dropped (for the time being). I counted 47 keys for each color mod, if that helps.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:34:25 »
So I looked at billnye's Electric Blulegaloo, and he did it as one big mod pack. I updated the mockup, hopefully this is what you guys meant, since the poll is still open I haven't finalized which colors will be left and dropped (for the time being). I counted 47 keys for each color mod, if that helps.

Show Image

Very cool, hoping to get a few colors to mix and match. I'm actually really liking the magenta and blue right now. Happy to see it's GMK as well, would the pricing be similar to billnye's mod pack?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:46:05 »
It's getting a shape, but I have a few questions and considerations.
Do you have a particular reason for having uppercase center-aligned legends? Cherry legends are capitalized and left-middle aligned.
Now my considerations are:
1u Backspace should have the icon rather than text legends.
1u Tab is something I have never seen, is there a reason for it?
You have two Esc keys. Do they differ?
You might want a 1.75u Right Shift for those who like the 1u Fn key to its right (which you should include)
As of now, the bottom row only allows one layout (1.25u mods and 6.25 spacebar). Many out there use 1.5 Ctrl and Alt with 1u Winkey or winkeyless.
In the alpha/numpad kit you might want to include a 1u zero and a 1u double zero.

Edit: In the mod kit include a colored pipe-backslash key as many users seek it for simmetry.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:53:45 by TalkingTree »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:57:40 »
It's getting a shape, but I have a few questions and considerations.
Do you have a particular reason for having uppercase center-aligned legends? Cherry legends are capitalized and left-middle aligned.
Now my considerations are:
1u Backspace should have the icon rather than text legends.
1u Tab is something I have never seen, is there a reason for it?
You have two Esc keys. Do they differ?
You might want a 1.75u Right Shift for those who like the 1u Fn key to its right (which you should include)
As of now, the bottom row only allows one layout (1.25u mods and 6.25 spacebar). Many out there use 1.5 Ctrl and Alt with 1u Winkey or winkeyless.
In the alpha/numpad kit you might want to include a 1u zero and a 1u double zero.

Oh yes, I'm always neglecting those legends as I focused on getting the correct kits. The two esc keys are for the alt numpad cluster layouts, but maybe I should get rid of that. I apologize I'm not very familiar with alternate keyboard layouts, thank you for the corrections! I'll try to fix those this weekend, or maybe one of these days.  :thumb:

Show Image

Very cool, hoping to get a few colors to mix and match. I'm actually really liking the magenta and blue right now. Happy to see it's GMK as well, would the pricing be similar to billnye's mod pack?

It's not decided which factory will make these, I'll have to find a balance in pricing and quality, especially considering the MOQ requirements of GMK.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:00:14 by thesiscamper »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:14:52 »
I'm not very familiar with alternate keyboard layouts
A Tsangan kit and a 1.75 Row 3 Control key should suffice.

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:49:14 »
I'll take one of each please  :p
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:13:24 »
I'd like to know if people with standard layouts are fine with subsidizing these alternate layouts, is it widespread enough to consider adding to the kits?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:18:01 »
I'd like to know if people with standard layouts are fine with subsidizing these alternate layouts, is it widespread enough to consider adding to the kits?
They are usually sold as separate kits, for what I've seen.