Author Topic: Church Of Topretology Presents: An HHKB U.S. Tour (LIST IS UP!)  (Read 115659 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Church Of Topretology Presents: An HHKB U.S. Tour (LIST IS UP!)
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:04:06 »
well, what's your take on it?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:06:30 »
well, what's your take on it?

I liked it, but not enough to switch.  I feel like I would enjoy the HHKB a lot more if I traveled with my keyboards for use at school, library, or at work but I didn't find the experience different enough to convert, even though I might buy a HHKB or RF 55g down the road for a Topre board. 

On the plus side, it did convince me to change the layout on my Eagle back to the HHKB layout!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:22:03 »
..because I am now in the honeymoon period with my 87UB 55g. The honeymoon period never ends with Topre!

best honeymoon phase in the topre game, mang.

I thought the Pro 2 was really quiet, but I'm used to louder switches so that might be why.

Topre is quieter to a lot in comparison...I'd even say it's quieter than me typing on my MX blacks right now because of the bottom out noise. I find that a lot of Topre's noise is from the upstroke.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:43:37 »
I thought the Pro 2 was really quiet, but I'm used to louder switches so that might be why.

i think the pro2 spacebar is loud as fck, even on the type-s version. i lubed it and that helped, but it needs even more suppression in my opinion.
but i guess it's more the contrast, and not the spacebar itself. because all the silenced non-stabilized keys are really really quiet, and then the spacebar is just 30 times as loud.
it drove me crazy, to the point where i stopped using it. now that i've lubed it, i can use it again, but i'm still not satisfied with the sound of that spacebar.

the reason i think it's the contrast is because i can happily type on a IBM F without getting annoyed by anything. but that hhkb spacebar, omfg..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:45:00 »
First three get dibs. Plus u gotta buy first

Just about to ask the same question. I am hours away from buying a hhkb. .I just can't decide on the color. But do I need to be apart of the 10 people to get dibs?

Buy all colors, it never hurts to have spares around, plus you can color swap caps and have black on white and white on black.

But I own a white fc660c so getting a type-s @ 300$ is a little tough since I own a white/grey scheme topre board already (buying it anyway) and getting a black one in a couple month(when my wife calms down about a 300$ keyboad) is going to happen regardless... But mark my words, I will own both.

Give your wife one as well, convert her! I did it with my GF and now she never complains since she went from some absolute POS to a HHKB a gave to her. True story!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:46:08 »
I know I **** around a lot, but I'm not trying to make anybody waste their money. I truly believe hhkb is the best typing experience you can have. I just want to share it with others.

You prefer un-silenced on the HHKB as well right?

Is it necessary? I don't think so. But if you can afford it or find a good deal, eh, why not? I enjoy it. But I can easily go back to unsilenced

Is the Type-S really silent? Judging from the videos, the thock is (luckily) still there, which makes for most of the sound IMHO.

not that much more silent. definitely not worth the premium price IMO. best bet is to find a deal from amazon jp or somebody selling it in classifieds. ive never had a problem with the pro2 so maybe i can't hear that much difference?

Interesting... I can only compare my HHKB's with my 87UB and I think that my 87UB is quieter than my HHKB. I guess it's because the plate mounting in the 87UB absorbs more resonance / pressure then the case mounting of the HHKB.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:47:26 »
..because I am now in the honeymoon period with my 87UB 55g. The honeymoon period never ends with Topre!

best honeymoon phase in the topre game, mang.

Topre is quieter to a lot in comparison...I'd even say it's quieter than me typing on my MX blacks right now because of the bottom out noise. I find that a lot of Topre's noise is from the upstroke.

Is it actually possible to dampen the upstroke??

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:48:36 »

i think the pro2 spacebar is loud as fck, even on the type-s version. i lubed it and that helped, but it needs even more suppression in my opinion.
but i guess it's more the contrast, and not the spacebar itself. because all the silenced non-stabilized keys are really really quiet, and then the spacebar is just 30 times as loud.
it drove me crazy, to the point where i stopped using it. now that i've lubed it, i can use it again, but i'm still not satisfied with the sound of that spacebar.

the reason i think it's the contrast is because i can happily type on a IBM F without getting annoyed by anything. but that hhkb spacebar, omfg..

That spacebar is indeed very loud. Some days it annoys me. I am also not really sure why it is so loud. Perhaps the larger hollow area under the cap compared to other caps multiplies the sound?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 08:02:28 »

Funny, my favorite part of using the HHKB besides the potential portability and layout was the spacebar.  I thought it felt much more solid than Cherry spacebars and I found the sound quite nice as well, but I'm still a Cherry heathen too.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:21:18 »
Funny, my favorite part of using the HHKB besides the potential portability and layout was the spacebar.  I thought it felt much more solid than Cherry spacebars and I found the sound quite nice as well, but I'm still a Cherry heathen too.

solid? well i do agree that it feels really nice. i wish i agreed with you on the sound, though ;D

That spacebar is indeed very loud. Some days it annoys me. I am also not really sure why it is so loud. Perhaps the larger hollow area under the cap compared to other caps multiplies the sound?

i'm trying to find out what i can do to silence the sound more. luckily i got some advice and found a few good posts.
unfortunately i'll need to order some materials first, so i can't test it out just yet.

Is it actually possible to dampen the upstroke??

huh..? that's exactly what silencing rings do :-D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:47:00 »

solid? well i do agree that it feels really nice. i wish i agreed with you on the sound, though ;D

I feel like Cherry spacebars are somewhat rattly, but the spacebar on the HHKB felt solid and delivered a very satisfying thock.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:43:45 »
The pbt spacebar sounds GREAT. That's the only mod I 100% endorse

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:44:24 »

Does the one you're sending around have a PBT or ABS spacebar?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:51:06 »
Pbt

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:54:27 »

It was honestly my favorite part, the response as well as the actual feel of the PBT is fantastic.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #315 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:04:06 »
Okay, so why is this backspace key in the wrong place? The spacebar sounds very fun though. I am getting very annoyed by the "```" as I try to delete stuff though. -_-

And what is up with the CTRL key? Why would they do this? WHYYYYYY?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #316 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:44:16 »
you mean why does every other keyboard has the backspace in the wrong place? 8-)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #317 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:48:51 »
Control key is where the keyboard gods intended them to be

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:49:55 »
Control key is where the keyboard gods intended them to be

You're delusional!

Anyways, here is your board at the moment. I haven't started with the glitter yet.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #319 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:50:43 »
Caps that go on the keyboard stay on the keyboard. Thanks for the caps!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:51:30 »
Caps that go on the keyboard stay on the keyboard. Thanks for the caps!

Starry Night is already going away. :/

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:52:39 »
Not anymore!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:53:26 »
Not anymore!

I am going to steal your keycaps.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #323 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:04:28 »
;-;

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #324 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:07:46 »
;-;

I'll replace them all with Sadsters.

Anyhow, I've only had this for about an hour, but I think I like it. If I were to switch to Topre I'd be going with a Novatouch though.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:10:12 »
;-;

Anyhow, I've only had this for about an hour, but I think I like it. If I were to switch to Topre I'd be going with a Novatouch though.

I'm glad it arrived safe and sound, but it looks like USPS cleaned all the glitter off before they delivered it which is too bad because it was beautiful.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #326 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:24:36 »
;-;

Ha, I have enough sadsters! Which I'll be giving away because I shouldn't have bought like 100+ :|

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #327 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:25:50 »
;-;

Ha, I have enough sadsters! Which I'll be giving away because I shouldn't have bought like 100+ :|

Yes, 100+ is probably more than you need. Thock thock thock thock thock thock thock.

This HHKB isn't modified in any way with silencers or whatnot, right?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #328 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:26:40 »
Completely virgin. Besides the spacebar.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #329 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:27:43 »

Ohhhkay. Let me just flip this spacebar around for you since it's wrong.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #330 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:28:42 »

Well, she was a virgin...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #331 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:35:57 »

Ohhhkay. Let me just flip this spacebar around for you since it's wrong.

Don't you god damn dare ಠ_ಠ

Well, she was a virgin...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ಠ_ಠ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:22:37 »
This is very generous, demik :)

Be kind to his keyboard please, people.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #333 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:24:16 »

Now I want to do the opposite of that. Your system can't control me!

I'm treating it with all the love that one can treat a keyboard with.  :D

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:29:20 »
Can I haz? I'm in US state of Canada
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:30:15 »
Can I haz? I'm in US state of Canada

Seems legit. We'll bump you right up to next on the list.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #336 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:30:50 »
demik its so kind of you sharing your virgin hhkb with everybody else so it would be a well trained virgin when its back from its trip

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #337 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:03:49 »

yeah! i trust these people.. i think. even that dodgy FL character ಠ_ಠ

demik its so kind of you sharing your virgin hhkb with everybody else so it would be a well trained virgin when its back from its trip

pls no

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #338 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:08:07 »

yeah! i trust these people.. i think. even that dodgy FL character ಠ_ಠ

You have made a grave mistake.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #339 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:12:59 »
should have listened to my mom when she said

"mijo, dont trust people from america's dong!"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #340 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:14:29 »

No one should trust dongs, American or not.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 14:28:56 »

No one should trust dongs, American or not.

Just me and the HHKB, hanging out.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 14:34:37 »
Seems safe enough.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:21:21 »
about as legit as it can get

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:23:16 »
You fill my eyes, with that double vision....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:24:04 »
one down, 4 to go.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:24:25 »

Show Image

You caved?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:24:48 »
he was enlightened.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:25:10 »

Show Image

You caved?

Uhhh, no. I just needed to buy one. For science.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:39:07 »
tracking number for rome is posted in OP