Author Topic: HHKB Users...does your space bar go tick-tick-tick-tick  (Read 6767 times)

Offline dante

HHKB Users...does your space bar go tick-tick-tick-tick
« on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 06:56:11 »
Example:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: HHKB Users...does your space bar go tick-tick-tick-tick
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:17:31 »
Mine makes the same sound as the mods next to it. Not as rattly as yours. How do you even notice these things?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:22:31 »
Mine makes the same sound as the mods next to it. Not as rattly as yours. How do you even notice these things?

That's not my keyboard.  I'm still on the fence so I'm nitpicking.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:27:27 »
Example:

I just checked and mine seems to make a similar sound, perhaps not as ticky, more rattly.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:29:21 by Olumin »

Offline raymogi

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:42:26 »
My RF does that as well, only on the right side. Sometimes the HHKB also does it, but what I do is just take the spacebar off and try to attach it back again. Most important thing to do is try to exert pressure on the outer parts first.

Please feed my addiction.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:01:05 »
My RF does that as well, only on the right side. Sometimes the HHKB also does it, but what I do is just take the spacebar off and try to attach it back again. Most important thing to do is try to exert pressure on the outer parts first.

Yeap..exactly..re-seating it does fix this if you do it right...but I've found that eventually it'll come back...PBT spacebar seems to fix it..I suspect it is the stabilizers come a bit loose...but since they're on like glue w/ the PBT one it doesn't have a problem...

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:36:40 »

Yeap..exactly..re-seating it does fix this if you do it right...but I've found that eventually it'll come back...PBT spacebar seems to fix it..I suspect it is the stabilizers come a bit loose...but since they're on like glue w/ the PBT one it doesn't have a problem...

My HHKB has a PBT spacebar and still rattles/ticks, re-seating it doesn't fix it. However, that being said, I use pre-production samples. Normal PBT spacebars might not have that problem.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 09:17:10 »
When is this a problem? Does it just rattle when your thumbs brush across it? Does it only bother you when pressing the bar? I've had 45g and 55g realforces and 2 hhkb and never noticed this while actually using them on a daily basis.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 09:36:00 »
Seems to me this is a common problem with those RF boards? Not a valid vimeo URL Here's a dudes fix. I was going to recommend adding some pads and possible lube/silencing band? I feel like that would solve the problem.

I've had like 4 diff HHKBs and haven't particularly noticed this problem (stock-wise).

However, pbt spacebar, lube, and bands seem to make the boards more quiet.

I personally wouldn't let this potential issue stop me from buying a RF or HHKB. I would just try and purchase something used to try out. Then if you don't like it, just re-sell it for what you paid.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:10:20 »
Seems to me this is a common problem with those RF boards? Not a valid vimeo URL Here's a dudes fix. I was going to recommend adding some pads and possible lube/silencing band? I feel like that would solve the problem.

I've had like 4 diff HHKBs and haven't particularly noticed this problem (stock-wise).

However, pbt spacebar, lube, and bands seem to make the boards more quiet.

I personally wouldn't let this potential issue stop me from buying a RF or HHKB. I would just try and purchase something used to try out. Then if you don't like it, just re-sell it for what you paid.

Wow, thanks for the video. Thinking about making my HHKB silent but didn't know what to do with the spacebar. Now I know.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:11:42 »
My Type-S spacebar has a funky squeak I think is from the spring.  I was going to try putting liquid latex on the top and bottom of the spring and see if that helps.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:16:06 »
Yes it does and it drives me insane occasionally but I got used to it (mostly). I haven't found a way to fix it.. yet.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:18:08 »
Try putting a piece of scotch tape on the underside of the spacebar where it's hitting the stabs.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Anole

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:58:11 »
My Cherry MX spacebars do  the same, but I fix them just by pushing down on them.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:18:44 »
What helps with rattly stabs is lube, thich lube. Take the board apart, find those places where the wire touches the plastic parts and luuuube it. Assemble the board and if you're still not satisfied repeat until you're satisfied with the sound and feel. 

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:40:03 »
Try putting a piece of scotch tape on the underside of the spacebar where it's hitting the stabs.

Sounds like an easy fast fix. How good is it, like, does it silences the "tick" noise completely?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 19:04:09 »
What helps with rattly stabs is lube, thich lube. Take the board apart, find those places where the wire touches the plastic parts and luuuube it. Assemble the board and if you're still not satisfied repeat until you're satisfied with the sound and feel. 

Exactly this.
The noise comes from touching plastich part with stab wire, I had to regrease stabilizers to fix. Dried up and caked grease causes this problem, I think.
As Crossfire said, how to apply grease is a bit difficult, you will need some trial and errors.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 19:16:14 »

Exactly this.
The noise comes from touching plastich part with stab wire, I had to regrease stabilizers to fix. Dried up and caked grease causes this problem, I think.
As Crossfire said, how to apply grease is a bit difficult, you will need some trial and errors.

Great to know. I really would like to apply lube, but everybody around here seems to have different opinions regards what kind of lube is best for what application, so I am confused and hesitant to try it as I am afraid to ruin my board. But I would really like to see dat spacebar noise go away.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 20:12:34 »
Isn't that something all spacebars do?

It also happens on my Model F... both the XT and the AT, I might add.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 00:19:47 »

Exactly this.

Great to know. I really would like to apply lube, but everybody around here seems to have different opinions regards what kind of lube is best for what application, so I am confused and hesitant to try it as I am afraid to ruin my board. But I would really like to see dat spacebar noise go away.
I use krytox gpl205 for that...it's fine, thick automotive grease. If you apply too much then you just clean some off the stabilizers, you won't ruin anything. It's really about trial and error to find the sweet spot, as hasu confirmed.

Overdoing it will make your stabs slugish but really silent, applying too little will not cure the problem completely - but you'll start to notice the difference.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 17:11:50 »
it happens for me with my hhkb and my realforce, but as mentioned lubing those stabs helps a ton.
i can also confirm it's a bit of trial-and-error. i was too careful and applied too little, and after a few weeks the sound came back again.
like crossfire, i used gpl205.
oh and installing PBT spacebars also helped a ton, though i'm not sure how available they are these days.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red