Author Topic: Custom Topre Caps  (Read 10220 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Custom Topre Caps
« on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 20:58:52 »
It's been a while since I've posted anything in here, but this is my latest project.

I've been wanting a stepped Control key for my HHKB for a while, not necessarily for utility's sake, but for aesthetics and ****s and giggles.  I figured I might as well make a WASD cluster and Enter key while I was at it.

With a lot of patience, calipers, Autodesk 123D Design, and 3DHub (PM me if you want a referral link that gets you a $10 discount for your first purchase), I cranked out these:

I had a couple of goals in mind when I made them.  I wanted to make them as thick as possible, so they're almost twice as thick as standard caps and I wanted them to snap fit, which they do.  It took them a fair bit of sanding and finishing to get them to where they are from the caps full of striation lines.

I still have to mold and cast them, but I'm stoked on how the masters came out.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Re: Custom Topre Caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 21:04:40 »
Awesome looking caps!!! 

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 21:55:40 »
It's been a while since I've posted anything in here, but this is my latest project.

I've been wanting a stepped Control key for my HHKB for a while, not necessarily for utility's sake, but for aesthetics and ****s and giggles.  I figured I might as well make a WASD cluster and Enter key while I was at it.

With a lot of patience, calipers, Autodesk 123D Design, and 3DHub (PM me if you want a referral link that gets you a $10 discount for your first purchase), I cranked out these:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I had a couple of goals in mind when I made them.  I wanted to make them as thick as possible, so they're almost twice as thick as standard caps and I wanted them to snap fit, which they do.  It took them a fair bit of sanding and finishing to get them to where they are from the caps full of striation lines.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ooh, very cool. Very thick! I'd be curious to see how such a dense cap would feel on the board.

Can't wait to see more!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 23:40:53 »
This is incredible. Very interested in these.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 23:46:18 »
Rough first cast:

I like the texture, but it's almost too textured compared to the rest of the caps.  I may do a "coarse" and "fine" textured version.

I need to rework the sprues for the Enter, hence it not being posted, and I wasn't stoked on the WASD, so I'll have to revisit them.  They had a little too much play and I think the stem had a slight twist from the printing.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 00:03:42 »
I'm assuming this is for those who don't (properly) use full-touch left Control.  :-X

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 00:06:29 »
I'm assuming this is for those who don't (properly) use full-touch left Control.  :-X

I've been wanting a stepped Control key for my HHKB for a while, not necessarily for utility's sake, but for aesthetics and ****s and giggles.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 00:09:38 »
Knock and the door will be opened...

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:43:52 »
I am so in on this.  Love the look of a stepped caps (control). 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:46:57 »
Stepped topre goodness... we live in the future

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:56:51 »
Love the stepped control key! I would be interested in getting my hands on one or two of them.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:01:40 »
Stop it, you zealots.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:16:26 »
Stop it, you zealots.

I too use Stepped Control key.

Would also be interested, nubbers.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:30:06 »
I like this a lot.

How is the WASD profile compared to the stock caps?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 13:23:20 »
I like this a lot.

It's pretty close, but the stems had a little too much play (they could twist a bit) on the cast, so I think I need to make some adjustments or use a different printer. They were done on a Form 1 and I'm not entirely sure the printer knew how to use it, especially since my first batch had some major warping issues. 

I'll probably do a small stepped control/caps and enter sale soon, but I really want to do a control, enter, WASD, and USB blockers set.  I've got a few small tweaks I want to do to make it "perfect" (like make the back of the control a hair shorter), but it's pretty solid as is right now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2016, 13:27:12 by nubbinator »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:03:05 »
I like this a lot.

It's pretty close, but the stems had a little too much play (they could twist a bit) on the cast, so I think I need to make some adjustments or use a different printer. They were done on a Form 1 and I'm not entirely sure the printer knew how to use it, especially since my first batch had some major warping issues. 

I'll probably do a small stepped control/caps and enter sale soon, but I really want to do a control, enter, WASD, and USB blockers set.  I've got a few small tweaks I want to do to make it "perfect" (like make the back of the control a hair shorter), but it's pretty solid as is right now.

I forgot you did USB blockers.

Are you saying you are going to cast that in resin with the same colors?

You actualy made a resin cast for that o.o 
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:27:24 by Bromono »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:04:47 »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This is so dope, would LOVE a stepped CTRL for HHKB

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:48:16 »

The plan is to do matched sets.  I'll probably put them out in small batches in phases as I still need to tweak the blockers. 

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:50:38 »
Wow, can't wait for more pictures. Keep up the good work. :) The Caps Lock original is 3D printed, right?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 15:08:12 »
Wow, can't wait for more pictures. Keep up the good work. :) The Caps Lock original is 3D printed, right?

It's printed with a lot of finish work to smooth it out and then add texture.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:44:26 »
 Nubs, you so badass. Way awesome

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:58:03 »
How long did it take you to make these, start to finish?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 19:55:57 »
Even though the Control isn't perfect (the cant is a little forward instead of back), would anyone want one in the current shape or do people want to wait for the more refined one to come out?

Just eyeballed them again when I got home, it's almost identical.  Same with the Enter key.  The Control is a little off on the backside (a little too tall) and I need to adjust it a little to make it perfect.  I tried to match the standard Topre profile as closely as possible and I got pretty damn close.  It wasn't easy since I had to use calipers that are in millimeters/inches, but I have to convert any fraction of a mm from inches to mm.

The friction fit WASD caps don't have any wiggle issue, so I think I found my problem and how to fix it.

I couldn't tell you since I have no clue how long the modeling took me.  I know that the finishing took a couple of hours since I sanded down to 1500 grit (kind of unnecessary) to get nice and smooth and remove any lines.  Then I hit them with several coats of matte finish.  After that, I masked off rejects and experimented with different means of texturizing and how adding finish on top of the texture affected the look and feel.  Then I finally did the first set of test casts. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:03:15 »

The plan is to do matched sets.  I'll probably put them out in small batches in phases as I still need to tweak the blockers.
This is so awesome.  Please tell me you will be doing them in your color palette. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:35:15 »
It's certainly a step in the right direction!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:41:29 »
It's certainly a step in the right direction!

:eek:

:rolleyes:

:cool:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:00:00 »
Even though the Control isn't perfect (the cant is a little forward instead of back), would anyone want one in the current shape or do people want to wait for the more refined one to come out?

Just eyeballed them again when I got home, it's almost identical.  Same with the Enter key.  The Control is a little off on the backside (a little too tall) and I need to adjust it a little to make it perfect.  I tried to match the standard Topre profile as closely as possible and I got pretty damn close.  It wasn't easy since I had to use calipers that are in millimeters/inches, but I have to convert any fraction of a mm from inches to mm.

The friction fit WASD caps don't have any wiggle issue, so I think I found my problem and how to fix it.

I couldn't tell you since I have no clue how long the modeling took me.  I know that the finishing took a couple of hours since I sanded down to 1500 grit (kind of unnecessary) to get nice and smooth and remove any lines.  Then I hit them with several coats of matte finish.  After that, I masked off rejects and experimented with different means of texturizing and how adding finish on top of the texture affected the look and feel.  Then I finally did the first set of test casts.

Great news! Do you have a picture of the underside of one of the wasd ones?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:30:24 »
I just re-measured and now I remember why I made the back taller on the control.  If I go the "proper" height, the resin on the stepped portion would only be .5mm in parts, which is far too thin.  I'll get it out to a few people and see feedback on it and decide if it's good to go as is or if I need to re-model it and figure something new out.

This is so awesome.  Please tell me you will be doing them in your color palette. 

That's the plan.

Great news! Do you have a picture of the underside of one of the wasd ones?

Here's a side by side.  It's kind of hard to tell but the Topre cap is 0.035" thick and mine is 0.060" thick.  I may be able to get to 0.070", but  it'd run the risk of rubbing the housing or not having enough room between caps to pull them.

And here's a profile comparison:

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:32:37 by nubbinator »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:31:08 »
Can you cast some to match my HOs? ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:33:10 »

I can always try.  I may need a HO for reference.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:46:52 »
I do love that juicy thickness, however.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:56:03 »

I can always try.  I may need a HO for reference.

Why do I gotta live so far away

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 06:19:49 »
That is plenty thick.

How do the grooves feel. Is it similar feeling to GMK's scooped keys?

None the less, I love how they look.

Have you ever thought of doing the home arrow keys on the hhkb?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:12:06 »
They're a little more pronounced than GMK, but not uncomfortable.  I wanted something your fingers could find and fall into and be cupped just a little so they wouldn't slip of if you were gaming.

I was actually debating doing that and doing control/enter and WASD/arrow kits instead of a mega kit.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:36:47 »
I can rest my lil pinky in that recessed part of the stepped ctrl. Hook it up. Good ****.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 10:28:57 »
Looks pretty good. Can't wait to see more of your work :)
Chris Schammert

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 16:51:52 »
Looks so cool, what a great idea, can't wait to see more. Would love to help you test but I might be a bit far away for it to be worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 07:35:07 »
Please tell me this is still happening.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:42:47 »
Yeah, are you thinking about making a sale for this maybe? :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:03:32 »
Seeing the colors these have been cranked out as makes me hot for a sale. For those that have them: Have you tried posting them upside-down? I know you can't do that with regular stepped keys, but since this is center-stemmed it'd be interesting to see how it would look upside-down; I'd imagine it'd appear quite jarring, what with the reversed profile, but wonder how it would affect tactility.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 01:52:34 »
Anymore news on these nubs? I need some stepped control in my life  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 20:25:16 »

I took a break from GH.  Looks like someone took the work I did and ran with it though.  I do have a V2 I have to make a mold of, but I'm not sure if I'm going to move forward with it.

Offline Elth

• Easy now fuzzy little man peach
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 12:47:42 »

I took a break from GH.  Looks like someone took the work I did and ran with it though.  I do have a V2 I have to make a mold of, but I'm not sure if I'm going to move forward with it.

Well that somewhat answers my question that I PM'd you some time last week :(
TGR Jane V2 | TGR 910 | TGR Jane CE