Author Topic: [IC] GMK Ramona | Vaporwave Inspired | Updated Mods  (Read 2720 times)

Online Lil

[IC] GMK Ramona | Vaporwave Inspired | Updated Mods
« on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 12:32:45 »
GMK RAMONA

227852-0

"Ramona Andra Xavier (born August 19, 1992) is an American electronic musician from Portland, Oregon.
Xavier played a prominent role in the popularization of the Vaporwave subgenre with the release of her only studio album under her Macintosh Plus alias, Floral Shoppe (2011)." - excerpt from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vektroid.

227914-1

This is a set based specifically on Ramona's music in Floral Shoppe, which aims to distinguish itself by staying true to the key colours used in the iconic album cover

Whilst other sets have also been inspired by the genre, there are key differences. GMK Analog Dreams is a similar example which has taken a pastel interpretation, with colours reminiscent of, yet deviating from the original. Whereas GMK Cherry Blossom had an inverted pink and green colourway which was also attempting to allude to blossoms and ice tea, and therefore was pulled in too many directions and didn't quite evoke feelings of Vaporwave.

My design would aim to closely match the pink colour of the background art for the alpha background in #fe87a3 hex, aka Pantone PMS 190u

227850-2

I have found multiple versions of the green used but so far I have tentatively chosen #99e5b2 hex for the alpha legends, which is analogous to a form of pantone 352

http://www.rgbcolor.xyz/pantone/252.html

For the Accent background, I used a different, more minty green #99f9d9 hex which matches an alternative version of the album cover I've seen, whose vibrancy really makes the accent 'pop' in my opinion.

https://www.color-hex.com/color/99f9d9

For the mods, to mirror the segasaturn banner - for the moment a placeholder with the same colour #99f9d9 hex for the legends (I am also considering white for the legends) and a lighter grey background - perhaps like modern dolch alphas. I am using #A2A2A2 for the moment

The mods would now be:
.Background colour GMK L6 to represent the bust of Helios  https://convertingcolors.com/rgb-color-201_194_176.html
.Legends colour hex #f4bbff to match the reflection on the water in the album cover https://encycolorpedia.com/f4bbff

I haven't decided, but I've found the grey colour brings balance to the loud alphas and accent colours and does something to frame the scene

I think the new mods colours both balance the scene and bring that Vaporwave feeling it was previously missing

I've decided to include Japanese sub-legends in the base kit as it matches with the theme of the album cover, but I would also consider adding on a mono legend add-on kit for either Latin or Hiragana.
If possible I'd like to support a good number of layouts without including unnecessary keys, as for now - ISO UK, 40s etc.

Since the set is at the beginning phase of the Interest check, I am open to changes so please give feedback especially the colours and what keys you'd like included.

I am not planning on supporting Ortho or Numpad if the set does go ahead, as I don't use those keys on my boards and don't see myself buying 1800s or Orthos in the future.

To do list:
.Revise the mods w/Icons
.Decide on colours
.Finalise included keys
.Renders of the keyset
.If interest is sufficient, contact vendors

Edit log:
Reformatted keys so they are positioned better to fit imagined rows/ 9th Oct 2019
Changed colour of mods to look less hyperfuse and better fit the theme of the set/ 11th October 2019

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2019, 20:35:54 by Lil »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] GMK Ramona | Vaporwave Inspired
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 12:56:45 »
I recommend looking at the kits for GMK sets currently in IC and GB and seeing how they're setup, because right now that kit mockup is atrocious.

Online Lil

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 13:17:21 »
I recommend looking at the kits for GMK sets currently in IC and GB and seeing how they're setup, because right now that kit mockup is atrocious.

Okay I'll reformat it

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 16:04:32 »
 :(
Once a set shines, it is truly yours. It is then your job to nurture it and care for it.
Love it until it blossoms into the beautiful fully and evenly shined set it has always wanted to be since it saw a shined set on Instagram under the hashtag #perfection.
Support it and maintain it until it will grow into itself and become one with itself. Then you can truly enjoy the typing experience
Sincerely,
       Hineybush

TGR910 | TGR Jane V2 | T60 | White | E6.5 | PC E6.5 | Gray HHKB Polaris | Duck Viper V2 | HHKB | KBD67 | E6V2 | Sakura Kyuu | Fanoe | WKL Tofu | KBD 8X | Mech27v2 | Tada68 | KBD5 | FC660M | Fjell | FC660CClueboard | X60 WKL & HHKB | Noxary 268 | AEK64 Brown Alps | KBD8X | HHKB Tofu | DC60 | Percent Canoe | YMD96 | QXP

Offline equalunique

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 19:12:58 »
Good color scheme & inspiration.

I'd buy but only for an ortho board.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Online h.parks

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 19:45:06 »
this will look fantastic on a polycarbonate or clear acrylic board
Dactyl | Ergodox | Anne Pro 2 | Soyuz | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | MT3 Godspeed

Online Lil

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 20:18:25 »
Good color scheme & inspiration.

I'd buy but only for an ortho board.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

I'm not anti-ortho, if enough people want it I can make a separate support kit for compatibility depending on how many keys would be required, but I wouldn't put it into the base kit. From what I've heard in general I do doubt whether it would be feasible in terms of moq or pricing though. What keys would you need for your keyboard that aren't in the base kit?

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 05:51:45 »
Just wanted to add something to this:

I don't think that grey is a good fit in here; it is definetly not a common colour in vaporwave, since usually in vaporwave you use bright, neon colours.

You could try and play around with variations of purple, i think that might fit a bit better with the colour-scheme.

Other than that, i find that keyset itself to be too similar to several Miami sets...

Online Lil

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 08:18:56 »
Just wanted to add something to this:

I don't think that grey is a good fit in here; it is definetly not a common colour in vaporwave, since usually in vaporwave you use bright, neon colours.

You could try and play around with variations of purple, i think that might fit a bit better with the colour-scheme.

Other than that, i find that keyset itself to be too similar to several Miami sets...

I'll experiment with purple for the mods, but I'm not looking to add more neon colours since I don't want it to be too garish. Although the miami day blue and pink colours seem similar right now, it's mostly due to the KLE. The Miami blue is a cyan blue, whereas the accent here is definitely a shade of green, as for the pink with Miami it's a bubblegum pink but here it's more analogous to a shade of sunset I'd say. Also with the KLE it's difficult to see the alphas which should be easily distinguishable as green, so i'll be getting some initial renders done on the 28th of October, hopefully that will give a better idea of how the set looks.

Online h.parks

Re: [IC] GMK Ramona | Vaporwave Inspired | Updated Mods
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 10:36:53 »
the pink in the background is on a gradient, so color matching isn't easy on this one. i think a lighter shade might be more well received even though i like how stark pink the alphas are
Dactyl | Ergodox | Anne Pro 2 | Soyuz | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | MT3 Godspeed