Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 528408 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1550 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 08:44:25 »
You did notice that the connections are showing the socket, not the plug, didn't you?
But what’s wrong with inequality, anyway? Answers to this question are rarely satisfying, but they do serve as a political litmus test about the kind of inequality that matters. A Marxist might concern herself with how economic inequality divides society into classes, allowing capitalists to wield wealth as a weapon, disempower workers, and extract their labor. The humanitarian position tends to prioritize sufficiency of resources and basic rights; feminists, environmentalists, and advocates for the undocumented, the disabled, and minorities would say social inequalities matter, too, and that part of the problem with economic inequality is that it reinforces them.
New research has shown us that economic, social, racial, and gender inequality are inextricably linked—and that the effect of high inequality is to create even more inequality. Many other economists have shown that high levels of inequality hurt democracy because, among other things, they allow rich people and corporations to buy the support of politicians.
- Atossa Araxia Abrahamian 2018

Offline feltel

• feltel.de
« Reply #1551 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 08:50:57 »
I think so. I repurposed the parts of the original cable. So black wire goes to 5V, white to ground, red (which is DATA) to PD0 and yellow (CLOCK) to PD1.
Unicomp Classic with red ESC key

Offline 624245305

« Reply #1552 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 03:47:35 »
I come from China, a primary school student, I learned a lot, the original HID appeared 404,HID which corresponds to the scancode translation table

Offline Red October

« Reply #1553 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:41:19 »
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here.  I bought a Soarer's Converter for XT keyboards from Orihalcon on eBay a while ago, used it happily for some time, only to have it develop an intermittent fault.  He had me send it back and sent me a new one.  Now that one has developed a fault too, at first it was intermittent too, but last week it just up and quit on me.  I decided that, as I had already received a second one and that it had been some time, I would tackle this one myself, especially as my soldering skills have improved greatly and I have a lot more tools for electronics work. 

I proceeded with disassembly and discovered that the circuit board inside the USB plug was potted in hot snot (da bigger da gob, da better da job, amIright? ...) which hadn't bonded to the board or components, or even the rubber shell, only the wires.  I cut everything back and proceeded to solder up the USB and DIN-5 connections now inside an enclosure box with a panel-mount DIN-5 and a USB cable with a gland, salvaged from some other thing long ago.  Unfortunately, when I was doing something, I managed to knock off a tiny little surface-mount component about 1/4 the size of a grain of rice.  Aided by a bright LED torch, I finally found the goddamn thing (on a filthy cement floor... fun!) and was able to put it back on the board, thanks to my needle tweezers.  Testing it with a meter showed it seemed to be a capacitor, as with the probes in one orientation the meter counted upwards and in the other downwards (in Ohms mode, beautiful old HP 3455a).  I put it back in what I thought was the correct orientation and tried the unit.  Plugging it into a laptop for testing (Dell Precision M60 portable workstation) I got an error from Windows: "Power Surge on Hub Port".  I checked all my work, found some little bits of wire from the USB side that may have been making contact with one-another and trimmed them back.  Same problem.  I swapped around the orientation of the mystery surface-mount device, still the same error.  What's up here???

Offline thealeinman

« Reply #1554 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:13:59 »
Just wanted to say thanks for the software, gave me a fun 4th of july soldering and hiding the arduino inside the keyboard and maintaining the original cable, the tip job is bad but I cut an old cable, ordered a proper one but still not in yet thanks.  This is the first thing ive typed on this model M and it aint to shabby for 25$  Hopefully this attaches right, also first post.

Offline joshualuo7

« Reply #1555 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 22:42:36 »
Trying to convert my Model F XT but things are not working out....
I'm using an Leonardo Pro Micro (ATmega32U4, 5V/16MHz) and I did the wiring according to http://i.imgur.com/lLDBHvZ.jpg
I wrote the hex file using QMT toolbox on Windows.
Everytime I did plug everything in it either shows USB not recognized and nothing in the hid_listen (not enough voltage, but I tried multiple usb cable and only one work occasionally), or when it is corrected recognized, the hid_listen terminal just show a bunch of random code https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/378255567426420736/468925320842706945/2018-07-17.png

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1556 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 22:58:37 »
To start, have a look at this post.

Offline joshualuo7

« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 23:17:21 »
I put some solder on J1 and it finally does connect everytime I plug it in an usb, however, the random letters on the hid_listen is still there... and I don't thinks keys are registering...

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1558 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 00:30:04 »
You could try swapping the clock & data wires. That's safe to try. If they're wrong there's no damage, but I don't know if that could cause your random characters.

Offline joshualuo7

« Reply #1559 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 15:24:44 »
Tried to swape the clock and data... the same thing happens... also I realized that f11 (which doesn't even exist on XT :/) are been pressed repeatedly. I also tried downgrading the framework to 1.03, the hid terminal doesn't show chunks of code now and f11 aren't been pressed. but instead show R04, R05, or R06 Error code. Tried a new Chip and the same thing happens... Gonna order an Teensy and try that now..

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1560 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 12:18:03 »
Hi guys , found myself a model m terminal keyboard with the round (3179 / 318x/ 319x) connector. Since i dont have the added keys of the 122 key variant im only interested in adapting it to modern ps/2 connector. Can i just cut off the connector and splice in a ps/2 connector while following the diagrams in the OP. Im not interested in remapping anything. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1561 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 14:42:04 »
No. Terminals don't speak the same language and you will need a hardware converter.

However, if you follow Soarer's instructions, that terminal should respond properly with no additional drama.
But what’s wrong with inequality, anyway? Answers to this question are rarely satisfying, but they do serve as a political litmus test about the kind of inequality that matters. A Marxist might concern herself with how economic inequality divides society into classes, allowing capitalists to wield wealth as a weapon, disempower workers, and extract their labor. The humanitarian position tends to prioritize sufficiency of resources and basic rights; feminists, environmentalists, and advocates for the undocumented, the disabled, and minorities would say social inequalities matter, too, and that part of the problem with economic inequality is that it reinforces them.
New research has shown us that economic, social, racial, and gender inequality are inextricably linked—and that the effect of high inequality is to create even more inequality. Many other economists have shown that high levels of inequality hurt democracy because, among other things, they allow rich people and corporations to buy the support of politicians.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1562 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 18:21:28 »
No. Terminals don't speak the same language and you will need a hardware converter.

However, if you follow Soarer's instructions, that terminal should respond properly with no additional drama.
it always mentions for 122 keys keyboard. since i only have the 104 key variant will it still work?

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1563 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 19:33:33 »
It has never failed to work with any IBM, in my experience.

Soarer was meticulous in his work. The entire project began as a means to remap keys on an F AT.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1564 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 19:38:32 »

Soarer was meticulous in his work. The entire project began as a means to remap keys on an F AT.
awsime ill give it a try

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1565 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:53:45 »
found myself a teensy 2.0 from ebay. Downloaded the whole soarer package. now for the way. ;)

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #1566 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 02:28:24 »
I'm selling a few of my tinkerBOY XT/AT USB Converter with Soarer’s Converter Firmware if anyone is interested. I have tested them myself with an old IBM XT and AT keyboard.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1567 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 11:07:28 »
i downloaded all the packages and zips on the op. i couldnt find a easy to understans tutorial in it. (Unless i missed it) on how to do this. I havent received my teensy yet but i was gsthering up info on how to do this. could anyone give me a small crash course. flashing the teensy seems easy enough but wich file do i flash. there seem to be a few hex files and im just not sure.

I have the 104 keys terminal model m

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1568 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 11:33:33 »
i downloaded all the packages and zips on the op. i couldnt find a easy to understans tutorial in it. (Unless i missed it) on how to do this. I havent received my teensy yet but i was gsthering up info on how to do this. could anyone give me a small crash course. flashing the teensy seems easy enough but wich file do i flash. there seem to be a few hex files and im just not sure.

The docs are in Soarer_Converter_v1.12_docs.zip - use a web browser to navigate the HTML pages.

Open Soarer_Converter_v1.12_update.zip to find four files. Different files for different hardware. For a Teensy 2.0 you'd flash it with Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex

After that your keyboard should just work. Nothing else is necessary unless you want to use the programming features to change layouts or whatever.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1569 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 12:15:58 »
A huge thanks. Simple enought. you made my day ;)

The docs are in Soarer_Converter_v1.12_docs.zip - use a web browser to navigate the HTML pages.

Open Soarer_Converter_v1.12_update.zip to find four files. Different files for different hardware. For a Teensy 2.0 you'd flash it with Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex

After that your keyboard should just work. Nothing else is necessary unless you want to use the programming features to change layouts or whatever.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1570 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 10:34:21 »
If i were to add a 5V LED strip to the keyboard. Could i just weld it on the 5v and gnd pin on the teensy along with the keyboard or would that intefere with the keyboard. Unless there would be a way to send 5V to another pin?

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #1571 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 21:30:07 »
Tried to swape the clock and data... the same thing happens... also I realized that f11 (which doesn't even exist on XT :/) are been pressed repeatedly. I also tried downgrading the framework to 1.03, the hid terminal doesn't show chunks of code now and f11 aren't been pressed. but instead show R04, R05, or R06 Error code. Tried a new Chip and the same thing happens... Gonna order an Teensy and try that now..

Are you testing it on a Windows or Linux computer?

Random letters usually means an issue an issue with the power supply. How are you powering the keyboard? Im assuming from the Pro Micro? Coz that might be your problem.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1572 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:35:18 »
Would anybody have the wiring color. Wich color goes to where. I want to put the teensy inside the keyboard so ill wire it close to the board.

theres yellow, white, red and black and an unshielded wire but i already know that ones the gnd.

Would i be right to assume red is 5v.

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #1573 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:41:16 »
nevermind got it ;(

Offline johnson20050

« Reply #1574 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 16:48:32 »
Hi,
    I faced some problem on using this USB converter.
Does anyone know how do I find "Soarer's Converter"
in scinfo command?

I'm trying to connect my PS/2 keyboard to arduino Pro Micro.
And it works with Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex file.
The problem happens when I'm starting to build my keymap.
scwr & scinfo cannot find out the converter:

terminal output:
    scinfo v1.10
    scinfo: looking for Soarer's Converter: not found

Do I need to put the hex file to some specific directory?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1575 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 17:23:33 »
Hi,
    I faced some problem on using this USB converter.
Does anyone know how do I find "Soarer's Converter"
in scinfo command?

I'm trying to connect my PS/2 keyboard to arduino Pro Micro.
And it works with Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex file.
The problem happens when I'm starting to build my keymap.
scwr & scinfo cannot find out the converter:

terminal output:
    scinfo v1.10
    scinfo: looking for Soarer's Converter: not found

Do I need to put the hex file to some specific directory?

Are you putting the Pro Micro into bootloader mode? You don't need to do that. Once Soarer's is flashed onto the Pro Micro you never need the bootloader mode again.

Just run scinfo without messing with the Pro Micro at all and it should be seen.

Offline johnson20050

« Reply #1576 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 18:50:23 »
Are you putting the Pro Micro into bootloader mode? You don't need to do that. Once Soarer's is flashed onto the Pro Micro you never need the bootloader mode again.

Just run scinfo without messing with the Pro Micro at all and it should be seen.

Oh, it works !
Thank you.

And I am able to use Dvorak keyboard!
( Just my first step, confirm this package owns the ability to configure PS/2 keyboard )
----------------------------------------------------------
// The above is my murmur...
//  I need to use sudo to get the information.
// So I need to use "sudo ./bin/scinfo"

No, I don't connect my Arduino.
After reading your suggestion, I connect my arduino and retry scinfo.
No matter whether I press reset button, scinfo cannot find Soarer's converter.

And no other message shown.

p.s. ( I don't know if it is useful information or not )
lsusb command output:
reset button pressed:
    Bus 002 Device 011: ID 2341:0036 Arduino SA
reset button not pressed:
    Bus 002 Device 012: ID 16c0:047d Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensy Keyboard+Debug
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2018, 19:03:31 by johnson20050 »

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #1577 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 04:04:14 »
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here.  I bought a Soarer's Converter for XT keyboards from Orihalcon on eBay a while ago, used it happily for some time, only to have it develop an intermittent fault.  He had me send it back and sent me a new one.  Now that one has developed a fault too, at first it was intermittent too, but last week it just up and quit on me.  I decided that, as I had already received a second one and that it had been some time, I would tackle this one myself, especially as my soldering skills have improved greatly and I have a lot more tools for electronics work. 

I proceeded with disassembly and discovered that the circuit board inside the USB plug was potted in hot snot (da bigger da gob, da better da job, amIright? ...) which hadn't bonded to the board or components, or even the rubber shell, only the wires.  I cut everything back and proceeded to solder up the USB and DIN-5 connections now inside an enclosure box with a panel-mount DIN-5 and a USB cable with a gland, salvaged from some other thing long ago.  Unfortunately, when I was doing something, I managed to knock off a tiny little surface-mount component about 1/4 the size of a grain of rice.  Aided by a bright LED torch, I finally found the goddamn thing (on a filthy cement floor... fun!) and was able to put it back on the board, thanks to my needle tweezers.  Testing it with a meter showed it seemed to be a capacitor, as with the probes in one orientation the meter counted upwards and in the other downwards (in Ohms mode, beautiful old HP 3455a).  I put it back in what I thought was the correct orientation and tried the unit.  Plugging it into a laptop for testing (Dell Precision M60 portable workstation) I got an error from Windows: "Power Surge on Hub Port".  I checked all my work, found some little bits of wire from the USB side that may have been making contact with one-another and trimmed them back.  Same problem.  I swapped around the orientation of the mystery surface-mount device, still the same error.  What's up here???

Post some pictures I might be able to help you.