Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 413757 times)

Offline PancakeMSTR

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1500 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 12:51:30 »
So the IBM Model M I'm trying to convert uses the RT connector. Soarer's converter is supposed to work with RT, but I can't get it to do so. How do you get Soarer's firmware to work with the RT model M?

Online Tactile

« Reply #1501 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:16:13 »
So the IBM Model M I'm trying to convert uses the RT connector. Soarer's converter is supposed to work with RT, but I can't get it to do so. How do you get Soarer's firmware to work with the RT model M?

With HID Listen already running in a terminal, plug the keyboard in. The Soarer's should boot and give some info into HID Listen. Pay close attention to the lines beginning with "Code Set:" and "Mode:".

Here's the result as I plug in an IBM 42H1292 with Soarer's:
Code: [Select]
Waiting for device:..............
Listening:
wEE rEE wF2 rFA rAB r83

remaining: 0026
26@0008 macros
layerdefs: 00
max_layer: 00
total_macros: 03
alloc ok.

Keyboard ID: AB83
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

wED rFA w02 rFA

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1502 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 15:08:15 »
I posted, pretty extensively, the results of HID listen on the previous page. Here are just the results of plugging the keyboard in, though: http://imgur.com/a/UKzwP

Online Tactile

« Reply #1503 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 15:17:44 »
I posted, pretty extensively, the results of HID listen on the previous page. Here are just the results of plugging the keyboard in, though: http://imgur.com/a/UKzwP

It looks to me like Soarer's does not see a keyboard connected. Keyboard ID:0000 and no "Mode:" line at all. Exactly what are your hardware connections between the keyboard controller and the Teensy(or whatever)?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1504 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 20:08:45 »

It looks to me like Soarer's does not see a keyboard connected. Keyboard ID:0000 and no "Mode:" line at all. Exactly what are your hardware connections between the keyboard controller and the Teensy(or whatever)?

I suppose. Some of the keys work though, in fact pretty much all of the alphas work perfectly. I just used the RT connector pinout diagram in the list posted in the beginning of this thread, and wired up only Data, clock, VCC, and ground to the appropriate teensy ports. I'll double check everything though.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1505 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 20:32:13 »
PancakeMSTR,
Are you sure using the latest version of firmware? According to version histroy only 1.11+ support RT.

And what model number is your keyboard? and posting pics of your converter would be useful to check your wiring and soldering doubly by others.
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1506 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:37:43 »
PancakeMSTR,
Are you sure using the latest version of firmware? According to version histroy only 1.11+ support RT.

And what model number is your keyboard? and posting pics of your converter would be useful to check your wiring and soldering doubly by others.

**** hasu you're right I was using the wrong firmware. I downloaded the TOP one thinking it was the right version, didn't realize LOWER was LATER.

I just loaded version 1.12 onto the teensy. It's working A LOT better. However I'm still having some issues. The ESC key doesn't work, though numlock thinks it's ESC. A few other problems as well. Generally everything to the right of F12 is ****ed up.

Any suggestions?

Actually Ins, Home, Pg up, del, end, pg down, and the arrow cluster are working fine. The numpad is borked, and print screen, scroll lock, and pause don't work either.

To be honest, the only keys that aren't currently functional that I actually care about are ESC and print screen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:40:37 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1507 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:16:50 »

The ESC key doesn't work, though numlock thinks it's ESC. A few other problems as well. Generally everything to the right of F12 is ****ed up.

Remember, Soarer originally began the project to use an IBM F AT in a conventional configuration, so Escape being on the numpad is natural.

I have never tried to use a Soarer's on a conventional PS/2-ANSI keyboard, what would be the point?

At any rate, it generally works out of the box converting non-ANSI layouts to ANSI.

James McGill Buchanan decided he needed to influence policy at a deeper level. In the ensuing years, he sought to lead an economic and political movement in which he stressed that “conspiratorial secrecy is at all times essential” to mask efforts to protect the wealthy elite from the will of the majority. In September 1973, Buchanan held the inaugural meeting of the International Atlantic Economic Society, arguing for the need to “create, support and activate an effective counterintelligentsia” to reshape the way people thought about government. He believed the center-left controlled academia and “effectively indoctrinated political actors in both parties,” MacLean writes. To fight back, conservatives needed to develop new surrogates who could be “indoctrinated” in turn with right-wing ideas, and then “mobilized, organized and directed” to disseminate them.
Seeing the name eventually led her to rooms full of documents that made clear how “operatives” had been trained “to staff the far-flung and purportedly separate, yet intricately connected, institutions funded by the Koch brothers and their now large network of fellow wealthy donors.” - Nancy McLean 2017

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1508 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:03:12 »

The ESC key doesn't work, though numlock thinks it's ESC. A few other problems as well. Generally everything to the right of F12 is ****ed up.

Remember, Soarer originally began the project to use an IBM F AT in a conventional configuration, so Escape being on the numpad is natural.

I have never tried to use a Soarer's on a conventional PS/2-ANSI keyboard, what would be the point?

At any rate, it generally works out of the box converting non-ANSI layouts to ANSI.

Well the point is that my Model M is RT, not ansi. What SHOULD I be using to convert it, if not Soarer's firmware? How do I fix the layout?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1509 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:05:42 »
I guess that I don't know what RT is, but in reply #560 (memorized the number because I have referred it so often) in this thread the ever-helpful wcass details an easy technique for re-mapping keys in the Teensy. You will need to use Soarer's codes posted in the docs.

James McGill Buchanan decided he needed to influence policy at a deeper level. In the ensuing years, he sought to lead an economic and political movement in which he stressed that “conspiratorial secrecy is at all times essential” to mask efforts to protect the wealthy elite from the will of the majority. In September 1973, Buchanan held the inaugural meeting of the International Atlantic Economic Society, arguing for the need to “create, support and activate an effective counterintelligentsia” to reshape the way people thought about government. He believed the center-left controlled academia and “effectively indoctrinated political actors in both parties,” MacLean writes. To fight back, conservatives needed to develop new surrogates who could be “indoctrinated” in turn with right-wing ideas, and then “mobilized, organized and directed” to disseminate them.
Seeing the name eventually led her to rooms full of documents that made clear how “operatives” had been trained “to staff the far-flung and purportedly separate, yet intricately connected, institutions funded by the Koch brothers and their now large network of fellow wealthy donors.” - Nancy McLean 2017

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1510 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 18:30:04 »
I found the remap guide reply and place a link here for sake of easy reference.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.msg708153#msg708153

I think you need to remap some keys on RT keyboard. Follow disourse about RT support around the post.
https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510-210.html#p105239
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1511 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:37:59 »
Hasu and fohat - I'll look into that and get back to you. Thanks.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1512 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 01:31:33 »
Okay Hasu and fohat - I managed, with the remap process, was able to fix the numpad enter, numpad +, numpad *, numpad /, and num lock.

However, I don't know how to fix numpad "-", Pause, Scroll lock, Print Screen, or ESC, because those aren't giving me any output. They send signals into the computer, I know because keyboardtester.com registers a keypress (though it doesn't indicate anything ACTUALLY being pressed), and also HID_Listen.exe sees something. But I don't know what it thinks those keys are. How do I fix these?

By the way thanks for the help. Saving my ****in life here.

Nevermind, got it. Figured out the part of the HID_Listen output are Hex codes. Used that to figure out what the keyboard was trying to send, then remap them. Damn guys, couldn't have done it without you. ****ing lifesavers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 01:41:05 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1513 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 17:03:11 »

However, I don't know how to fix numpad "-"

"EXTRA_SYSRQ" is one of the particularly obtuse ones.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1514 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 02:24:29 »

The HID_Listen Hex code pointed to some language thing but I couldn't get the numpad "-" working even from that. It's the final enigma. I'll look into that.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #1515 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 07:14:32 »

The HID_Listen Hex code pointed to some language thing but I couldn't get the numpad "-" working even from that. It's the final enigma. I'll look into that.

Particularly annoying when accustomed to using Alt+PrtScr to capture the active window, as I do a lot of at work, and that is the combination to produce EXTRA_SYSRQ.

For the numpad "-", wouldn't something like below resolve this?  (where x=the language number)
remapblock
  LANG_x PAD_MINUS
endblock
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1516 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 11:13:33 »

For the numpad "-", wouldn't something like below resolve this?  (where x=the language number)
remapblock
  LANG_x PAD_MINUS
endblock

I have not finalized my AT conversion, but on the F-122 you remap EXTRA_SYSRQ to PAD_MINUS and you are done.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #1517 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 18:29:39 »
I got a XT keyboard and a converter off fleaBay, and happy to report they are working together now as expected.  (Typing on it right now, in fact!)  Next I am trying to figure out the configuration software.  At the moment I'm running it on a Ubuntu system, although I also have a Mac and a Windows system here in case either of those might be easier to work with.  On Linux I figured the first thing to try would be the "scinfo" tool.  Then I get this:

./scinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hmm...   Is my system missing a package that these tools expect to be present?  I tried searching the forum to see if anyone else ran into this, but I didn`t turn up anything.

Offline adiron

• Personal webstie
« Reply #1518 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 03:40:42 »
Great converter! Works great on this old DIN 5-pin keyboard I salvaged. Thanks a lot!

One question though, has anybody ever had issues with the right control (which reads "Enter" on this keyboard actually) releasing too late when held for a long time? I wonder if this is a thing about the keyboard itself or if this is something that the firmware can somehow solve...

What happens is that after pressing down RCTRL for >1s or so, the key up event is delayed ~250ms. If I open up hid_listen, I can see the delay there, too (which leads me to think that maybe the keyboard is just sending it late?...)

Offline invariance

« Reply #1519 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 18:01:38 »
Great converter! Works great on this old DIN 5-pin keyboard I salvaged. Thanks a lot!

One question though, has anybody ever had issues with the right control (which reads "Enter" on this keyboard actually) releasing too late when held for a long time? I wonder if this is a thing about the keyboard itself or if this is something that the firmware can somehow solve...

What happens is that after pressing down RCTRL for >1s or so, the key up event is delayed ~250ms. If I open up hid_listen, I can see the delay there, too (which leads me to think that maybe the keyboard is just sending it late?...)

Does sound like a feature of the keyboard's controller, especially if it is designed for a specific system.
Does it do it for any other keys?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline adiron

• Personal webstie
« Reply #1520 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 01:29:04 »

Does sound like a feature of the keyboard's controller, especially if it is designed for a specific system.
Does it do it for any other keys?

No other keys that I managed to find.

Some hid_listen output from pressing down RCTRL a few times:

rF0 r58 -E4 uE4
r58 +E4 dE4
rF0 r58 -E4 uE4 r58 +E4 dE4
rF0 r58 -E4 uE4

No idea what's going on. Maybe there's a magic keybinding I can somehow type in to get rid of this?

Offline invariance

« Reply #1521 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 04:12:10 »
This is what I get
rE0 r14 +E0 dE4
rE0 rF0 r14 -E0 uE4
which corresponds to the scancode translation table.

According to the table, you are making and breaking the caps lock (ps2 scan code 58) which is being translated to RCtrl (HID E4): weird.

Maybe try reloading the firmware.
Also what board do you have?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline adiron

• Personal webstie
« Reply #1522 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 06:54:21 »
I'm using an Arduino Leonardo (I had one lying around). I can't seem to reflash it (won't show up as a serial device?), so there's that

Edit: binding "boot" to a macro doesn't work either.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 07:11:04 by adiron »

Offline invariance

« Reply #1523 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 08:05:30 »
I have been using Arduino Builder (Windows environ) and it took a while for me to find the sweet spot between pressing the bootloader button on the leonardo and pressing 'start' (actually COM3) in Arduino Builder: about 3 seconds actually.
Could be similar with your loading s/w.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline adiron

• Personal webstie
« Reply #1524 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 08:59:07 »
No idea, but I'm not getting a serial device. Anyway, sticky right ctrl still a thing :p

Edit: I'll have to get a USB programmer thing. No worries
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 10:35:22 by adiron »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1525 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 03:29:48 »
What a shame that Soarer has disappeared from the keyboard communities. He gave us a great firmware, too bad that there's no source. I wonder what could have made him so angry.

Offline adiron

• Personal webstie
« Reply #1526 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 13:59:08 »
too bad that there's no source.

Source would have solved a lot of issues I think :(

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1527 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 01:22:08 »
too bad that there's no source.

Source would have solved a lot of issues I think :(

Why don't we pay a real programmer to do the same job? A kick starter with a 5000 USD target?

Offline bachamn

• Forming the Beast
« Reply #1528 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:11:19 »
I recently bought one of Soarer's cables and have successfully remapped almost all of the keys I needed to make my terminal board (1390670) run normally, but I'm having a similar issue as PancakeMSTR when trying to map ESC key.

By default, the physical ESC key sends F13 code, and Numlock sends ESC code (as follows)
ESC
r76 +29 d29
rF0 r76 -29 u29

F13
r08 +68 d68
rF0 r08 -68 u68

The following codes are sent after I remap these two keys as denoted

ESC NUM_LOCK
r76 +29 d53 wED rFA w05 rFA
rF0 r76 -29 u53

F13 ESC
r08 +68 d29
rF0 r08 -68 u29

Interestingly despite still returning +29 and the extra wonky code it spits out, the remapped NUM_LOCK does work, but ESC does not want to remap, as you can see it's still registering +68. It is clearly doing something, as I noticed it's appending 'd29' and 'u29' to the end of those lines instead of 'd68' and 'u68', so it seems that maybe it's just getting scrambled?

Bummed to see the creator isn't in the community anymore. Is there another way to manually modify the codes that are used by the device? Firmware? (is it even possible to flash firmware update to one of the cables? everything I've read so far refers only to flashing the teensy boards)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:44:16 by bachamn »