Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 618096 times)

Offline AJM

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1600 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 12:41:07 »
Well, you can always use the slighty crude method and program:

<WIN>+<R>
D:\script.bat
<ENTER>

Offline ModernRetro

« Reply #1601 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 03:24:05 »
I bought this keyboard: Epson QX-10 keyboard.
I think it needs to be converted. (https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=21416)
Can I get any external converter for this?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1602 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 09:44:32 »
I bought this keyboard: Epson QX-10 keyboard.
I think it needs to be converted. (https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=21416)
Can I get any external converter for this?

I believe that the Epson's have their own protocol that isn't supported by Soarer's. Snacksthecat on deskthority figured out the epson protocol, but the board itself may only support 1KRO, which is pretty much unusable.

Best bet is probably to trace the matrix, wire the rows and columns to a teensy 2.0, and use QMK to make firmware for it. I have a QX503A and that's what I'm planning on doing with mine.

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #1603 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:13:14 »
Hi, do you think I could use this microcontroller? I don't want to wait possibly months for shipping from China or pay $25+ to get it in a week or so.
https://www.amazon.ca/ATmega32U4-Development-Microcontroller-Leonardo-Bootloader/dp/B07WPCLF8Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ATmega32U4&qid=1573150246&sr=8-4
I'm looking to convert a terminal Model M to USB. Thanks!

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #1604 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 20:04:48 »
Anyone able to help me with thiss? I've been trying to convert a Reuters D3D keyboard for quite some time now and have had no luck.  :(

It uses a 25 pin parralel port. I have managed to get it to output some codes using a pro micro and some random pins on the 25pin. I have flashed using soarers at2usb but I cannot get any unique scancodes for each keypress. just 'rFF r05' and such....

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1605 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 20:35:13 »
What that log shows is only errors on reading signals and the converter doesnt' recognize it.
The keyboard speaks proprietary protocol and you need this breakout box to convert it and get PS/2 output probably. http://i.imgur.com/rLsNk1D.jpg

Try this to look into the proprietary protocol. You may want to buy logic analyzer in the market instead.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4567&start=
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1606 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 08:33:41 »
Hi, do you think I could use this microcontroller? I don't want to wait possibly months for shipping from China or pay $25+ to get it in a week or so.
https://www.amazon.ca/ATmega32U4-Development-Microcontroller-Leonardo-Bootloader/dp/B07WPCLF8Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ATmega32U4&qid=1573150246&sr=8-4

Fellow Canuck here. I tried that and I couldn't get the firmware to flash properly. It could be that I was just doing it wrong but I ended up returning it. I ordered a few Teensy 2.0 from China to Ontario and it took only 2 weeks. Not that bad.

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1607 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 13:32:50 »
Has anyone had the issue "block too large" when trying to create a lot of macros?

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #1608 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 08:42:38 »

Fellow Canuck here. I tried that and I couldn't get the firmware to flash properly. It could be that I was just doing it wrong but I ended up returning it. I ordered a few Teensy 2.0 from China to Ontario and it took only 2 weeks. Not that bad.
Maybe I should have posted an update. I got it to work and wrote a guide here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1125819-how-to-convert-a-terminal-ibm-model-m/

Offline antigua1103

« Reply #1609 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 15:06:12 »
I just tried this out with my amtelco kb163 and it works so I no longer need a bunch of adapters but as I looked at the codes the key use in hopes to use the extra keys as macros or other functions they are all mapped to corresponding keys on the keyboard but the codes are rather different has anyone else come across this?

Offline JakeyPancakey

« Reply #1610 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 13:37:02 »
I purchased an IBM Model F without a cable off eBay recently and have been struggling to figure out which pins inside the keyboard itself I should connect to the breadboard and Teensy. I looked through all the pinouts and previous posts in the guide but couldn't find anything that looked like this. Can anybody help me sort out which pins are which (i.e. Vcc, Gnd, Data, Clock)?

233409-0

I know there was a picture in the thread of the cables and I can get a vague idea of where the pins are supposed to go, but the picture is taken from a perspective that does not make it entirely clear. Thanks for the guide and help!

Offline matalog

« Reply #1611 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:23:08 »
I have a Filco MJ2 ordered.  Obviously I want to see the NKRO in action on my PC which has only USB in.

I ordered a Teensy 2.0, ps/2 socket, usb type A male to type B.  Have the hex code of Soarer's Converter, and Teensy Programming software for windows.

I will have to connect ports of the teensy to the ps/2 socket GND, VCC, CLOCK and DATA, then program the Teensy with the ATmega32U4 hex file.  When I then power on the teensy connected to ps/2 and usb the next time, Will my keyboard be working already?  Or will I have to take some other steps I haven't mentioned?

I don't want anything fancy, no remapping or function keys, no lights on teensy, no aux keys.  Just that the Filco keyboard is NKRO on windows through USB.

Thanks for any tips :-).

matalog.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1612 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 23:05:36 »
I have a Filco MJ2 ordered.  Obviously I want to see the NKRO in action on my PC which has only USB in.

I ordered a Teensy 2.0, ps/2 socket, usb type A male to type B.  Have the hex code of Soarer's Converter, and Teensy Programming software for windows.

I will have to connect ports of the teensy to the ps/2 socket GND, VCC, CLOCK and DATA, then program the Teensy with the ATmega32U4 hex file.  When I then power on the teensy connected to ps/2 and usb the next time, Will my keyboard be working already?  Or will I have to take some other steps I haven't mentioned?

I don't want anything fancy, no remapping or function keys, no lights on teensy, no aux keys.  Just that the Filco keyboard is NKRO on windows through USB.

Thanks for any tips :-).

matalog.

It should work right away.

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1613 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:55:45 »
Hey guys,

I've been driving myself crazy lately. I'm trying to program one of the Extra_F keys to have a different effect when I press it + Shift or CTRL. I.E, right now Extra_F1 is set to copy, but I want it to launch calculator when I press Shift+ Extra_F1. Any idea? I feel like I've tried everything