Author Topic: [IC] GMK sets interest check and planning  (Read 260734 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #750 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:52:44 »
There were quite a few SoWaRe sets made, as they were the standard keycap set for The Cheat keyboard. You can probably find one if you look around.

Besides, SoWaRe is a light blue WYSE "replica." Shouldn't "WYSE replica" use WYSE font and come from SP?

I know there are some creative minds here. Surely we don't have to rehash everything that has been done before. Let's get something unique, right?!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
[IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #751 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:57:21 »
Unique? Anything with those clear legends.

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #752 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:59:44 »
I do really want to try for Miami at some point, maybe on buy 3 but it might come out different than the original. I have a few remix ideas and we will have voting. As much as I want it to happen I am highly skeptical due to the MOQ involved. I will be running one remix in the dyesubs buy starting soon too as an audition of sort.

Just keep in mind that a few people might have dyschromatopsia (red/green weakness). So any greenish/redish color combo isnt really fun for them. ("ordered Miami and got blanks!  :eek:")

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #753 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:06:30 »
I do really want to try for Miami at some point, maybe on buy 3 but it might come out different than the original. I have a few remix ideas and we will have voting. As much as I want it to happen I am highly skeptical due to the MOQ involved. I will be running one remix in the dyesubs buy starting soon too as an audition of sort.

Just keep in mind that a few people might have dyschromatopsia (red/green weakness). So any greenish/redish color combo isnt really fun for them. ("ordered Miami and got blanks!  :eek:")

You're absolutely right. I have red-green deficiency and that set looks obnoxious to me. The legends look way too bright in contrast to the keycap color.

THE MORE YOU KNOW: About 8% of males (of Northern European ancestry) have red-green color deficiency.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #754 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:06:46 »
Surely it will be true that no matter what colorway gets ran at any particular time, there will be those who are not fans. This is perfectly fine as one can sit out a buy and maybe the next one will be more their taste.
Unlike jelly of the month club, when a flavor you do not like comes up we won't force you to buy it anyway to be able to get the next flavor :))

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #755 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:09:06 »
I think white on light grey would be really nice, even only alphas since light gray matches most colours since it is more subtle.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline realex

« Reply #756 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:34:58 »
I would be in for compatibility sets for classics, like beige, black and dolch. For full sets I suggest to explore neutral colors that may match existing sets, allowing GB to reach MOQ easily, letting calls for exotic color combos for later.

As some does, I do not see a major constraint to call for traditional color combos, why we should continue harvesting keyboards if we can get new full sets for the same money? Is like the car market, we always can buy an used car, but we have also the option to buy new ones, which makes the market healthy, meaning that prices for used set should tend to be more affordable.

Finally, I think sherry potential or current offer should not biased GB decisions as it is always up to each GH member where to source caps, so that factor is already considered by each person here.

i totally agree. there is no point in talking down the obvious demand for classic sets and then watch how the exotic choices fail to reach the moq instead.

at this point we should just try and get the highest volume order possible in order to strengthen our position as a valued customers community with gmk. once this reputation is gained, good things will happen, maybe like more accomodating moq numbers or whatever.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #757 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:57:57 »
I would be in for compatibility sets for classics, like beige, black and dolch. For full sets I suggest to explore neutral colors that may match existing sets, allowing GB to reach MOQ easily, letting calls for exotic color combos for later.

As some does, I do not see a major constraint to call for traditional color combos, why we should continue harvesting keyboards if we can get new full sets for the same money? Is like the car market, we always can buy an used car, but we have also the option to buy new ones, which makes the market healthy, meaning that prices for used set should tend to be more affordable.

Finally, I think sherry potential or current offer should not biased GB decisions as it is always up to each GH member where to source caps, so that factor is already considered by each person here.

i totally agree. there is no point in talking down the obvious demand for classic sets and then watch how the exotic choices fail to reach the moq instead.

at this point we should just try and get the highest volume order possible in order to strengthen our position as a valued customers community with gmk. once this reputation is gained, good things will happen, maybe like more accomodating moq numbers or whatever.
Unfortunately it will be extremely difficult to get a large enough portion of the community to agree on a set, also apparently vendors agreed to not carry GMK per sherry

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #758 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 13:17:59 »

This^^

And I'll be in I'm quiet sure

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #759 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:06:13 »

your making me moist with anticipation

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:08:27 »

Unfortunately it will be extremely difficult to get a large enough portion of the community to agree on a set, also apparently vendors agreed to not carry GMK per sherry

I would be in for a GB..Sherryton doesn't appear to intend carrying keys for ISO etc and as a result the only way around a monopoly on him selling things (not very reliably it appears, reading the forum rather than from experience so this is just a view given I've had keys quickly from a GB in comparison) is to sign up for GBs. As a result I do wish the GB would cover a more common colourway but anything tends to look pretty enough!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #761 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:12:13 »
TechKeys would get behind a GB if the set has mass appeal.  I would even be happy to help organize if I see some good ideas.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #762 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:15:09 »
TechKeys would get behind a GB if the set has mass appeal.  I would even be happy to help organize if I see some good ideas.
You heard the man!
Get your mockups up!

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #763 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:18:28 »
Clear on Charcoal. That's a good idea. I think we all really liked that idea. We should go with that idea.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #764 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:24:14 »

As much as I admire you for saying it, I really hope this dsnt blow up in your face if what ever happens isn't backed by TK you get attacked for it.

The problem with doing extra sets for mod keys fitting dolch etc etc is people's inability to be reasonable. In the last GB people accused Ivan of basically sub'ing random keys only a few people wanted when all they wanted/needed was a base ANCI set... which blew my mind at the time.
I think for the moment it would be cool if the next GB was either a set of purple mods that would complete my numb pad, and maybe a dark set to match it? I'm personally thinking of matching the purple and DSA (?) retro GB set that TK will be selling at some point, as that would look pretty ****ing hot

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:28:20 »
My idea.... the godam frickin NINJA TURTLES:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:29:00 »
Needs more red, purple, orange, and blue.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #767 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:29:15 »
I no longer admire you... lmao!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #768 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:30:23 »
My idea.... the godam frickin NINJA TURTLES:

Show Image

Show Image

Or Green Bay Packers.... :P

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #769 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:31:51 »
sorry for the lazy/horrible photoshop but I think this would be a pretty hot way to start of the miami set, though with white/black legends and using the purple mods;

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #770 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:51:20 »
how about....wait for it.....BOOM THE MU-FUKIN MATRIX

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:55:27 by i3oilermaker »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #771 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:01:22 »

Show Image

make it domed and we are rocking

Offline Halvar

« Reply #772 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:02:55 »

I agree here. In addition to the "purple 2" set, make a simple original cherry-beige (and later maybe a cherry-black) modifier set that includes Moogle and Tsangan and maybe a few blanks, and you will meet huge demand due to all these vintage DS Cherry boards floating around. This is the one most important thing that I'd like to see coming out of GMK of all keycap makers. I don't like to see all those third-party moogle sets that don't fit the other keys any more. You could say this is a historical chance for all of us key cap cannibals. For full sets, you can always got to SP or someone else, but this is really something that only GMK can make.

I agree with Ivan that the "purple part 2" set should be tried, but to me it's quite improbable that 400 can be reached on this.

For a first full set I'd really like to see new, original colors instead of the always-same Dolchs, Skidatas etc. But they should be colors that everyone still likes to see one year later. Go for creative, but classy. ;D

Something that fits the purple mods would be a good start.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 01:17:30 by Halvar »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #773 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:20:06 »
I fourth that.
The more niche colourways will attract less buyers. I recon white on black will yield more buyers despite of a low number of old keyboards in a particular language being found every now and then.

Offline Acanthophis

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #775 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:26:15 »
not too bad acanthopis

Vanilla Beach:
20267-0
http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/#BFO,YCC,YCC,BFO

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #776 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:32:59 »
Unique? Anything with those clear legends.

Clear on Charcoal. That's a good idea. I think we all really liked that idea. We should go with that idea.

I agree with GirlShark and emptythecache, clear legends on anything would be great. Clear on Charcoal would be a safe, yet unique set that people would be interested in. With what I've seen on OTD and KBDMania, you would have people in Korea poking interest with all the leds they have on KMACs, LZ-xx, etc. It might even give me a reason to buy a Ducky Shine even though I'm not partial to mass leds on a board.

But ... first I want to see the completion of the purple colorway. GMK, iirc reading, was nice enough to get purple. We might as well make full use of it along with other unique possibilities other than the usual Dolch, etc.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #777 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:38:50 »
not too bad acanthopis
It's even better on a white keyboard!
20269-0

Offline Scoliosis Jones

« Reply #778 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:49:54 »

[/quote]

But ... first I want to see the completion of the purple colorway. GMK, iirc reading, was nice enough to get purple. We might as well make full use of it along with other unique possibilities other than the usual Dolch, etc.

The first thing that popped im my mind when i saw purp mod GB was this

http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/#WA,BFU,BFU,WA

probably wouldn't reach MOQ, but its awesome, on black or white case...

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #779 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:01:19 »

Show Image

make it domed and we are rocking

This! IC this sh!t!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #780 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:08:34 »

I know most of you will find this boring, but I want a solid white set with light grey lettering similar to Apple's keyboards.  If I ever do another group buy, it'd likely be a (very small) group buy to do this.  GMK would be awesome, if the MOQ wasn't a thing.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #781 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:14:24 »
I'd be into that Aggiejy.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #782 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:17:54 »
Maybe that could be done via an imsto dyesub set.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #783 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:24:52 »

I'd prefer doubleshot personally.   :rolleyes:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #784 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:26:37 »

I'd prefer doubleshot personally.   :rolleyes:
Congrats on 1111 posts Mashby!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #785 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:53:38 »

Probably could, but the slight blurriness on the edges drives me crazy.  At least in most of the dyesubs I've had.  I'm a bit anal though.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #786 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:57:10 »
wonder how would yellow and black combo would look like in retro style. Yellow modifiers with black legends and black alphanumeric with yellow legends, wasp effect, should match black keyboards well just not sure how will it match white keyboards...
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #787 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:04:18 »
wonder how would yellow and black combo would look like in retro style. Yellow modifiers with black legends and black alphanumeric with yellow legends, wasp effect, should match black keyboards well just not sure how will it match white keyboards...

I like this talk of yellow :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #788 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 23:51:32 »

White doubleshots like those w/ black on gray modifiers would look so nice with CMYK.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #789 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 23:52:38 »

I like this talk of yellow :)

i ran an IC for dolch with yellow legends like 6 months ago and almost nobody liked the idea. :'(
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #790 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 02:26:04 »
skyblue on black or charcoal.  :-*

image is noppo choc 87

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #791 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 08:47:12 »
I like the idea of the green on black, like old terminal. It's fresh, has some color but is also fairly reserved and classy. I too am a fan of grey on white and have suggested it before, doing something like the colorway from Alcatel. Some of the other ideas are also nice looking and interesting but I am not sure of how wide appeal. Picking colorways that will appeal to broad taste is challenging but will be extremely important.
Clear legends on something will most certainly be done at some point as desire for nice backlight keycaps is very obvious.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #792 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 11:56:38 »
I think we should stay away from green since toxic is coming up and will have Cherry legends.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #793 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:05:48 »
How about a TA green on light gray base set w/ light gray on crimson mods?

20371-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #794 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:11:09 »
I vote TA with Lime mods! :D

Offline Wraul

« Reply #795 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:11:55 »
I like the idea of the green on black, like old terminal. It's fresh, has some color but is also fairly reserved and classy. I too am a fan of grey on white and have suggested it before, doing something like the colorway from Alcatel. Some of the other ideas are also nice looking and interesting but I am not sure of how wide appeal. Picking colorways that will appeal to broad taste is challenging but will be extremely important.
Clear legends on something will most certainly be done at some point as desire for nice backlight keycaps is very obvious.

<-- Joins the fanclub of grey on white.
I definitively want to see that one some day.

Also, do anyone know how well GMK keys with transparent legends work with backlighting?
The SP keys don't work all that well.
The way they are made causes the light to be uneven and the legends rather hard to read.
They are still cool though.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #796 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:18:13 »
I vote for a vote :). I'd most likely buy anything that ends up being made anyway ;).

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #797 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:21:47 »
I vote TA with Lime mods! :D

I tried that, it looks a little off.  The lime is so bright it makes the TA green in the base almost feel like an after thought, and the gray used for the base and mod legends would probably need to be a bit darker for more contrast in the mods.

20376-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #798 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:22:43 »
Hm, maybe the TA green instead of lime? Thanks for doing the mockup though!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #799 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:24:37 »
That set, just with gray mods etc. Do want.