Author Topic: [IC] GMK sets interest check and planning  (Read 260726 times)

Offline emptythecache

• out.
Re: [IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:28:25 »
I don't know why I posted this in the other thread and not this one, and it's way too late for the first round but...

I kind of stopped paying attention to this thread, so this was probably mentioned, but we should do a full Black on yellow (think YBP) set.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 14:12:33 »
Have you guys ever thought of trying to partner with a keyboard manufacturer like Coolermaster to order like 1000+ sets? Then they can sell a new special edition that'll fly off shelves, and everyone in the group buy also benefits.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 15:44:43 »
How will the partnership work? CM buys the caps and then resell to us for profit?

Offline brianvoo

• Poisoned
« Reply #553 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 19:24:55 »
How will the partnership work? CM buys the caps and then resell to us for profit?
500/1000 could go to us without them making a profit while they make some profit off the other 500..? But I think it's hard to convince such a big company to do something like that, although there are CM reps around.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:35:12 »
Dolch white on grey/charcoal      43   42%
SkiData orange on charcoal      8   8%
DolSKI mash-up orange on grey/charcoal      33   32%
TA green on light grey      18   18%

I think we have a winner. When can we start the group buy? :)

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #555 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:45:50 »
No winner yet. A lot of people haven't noticed that there is another/final vote, otherwise the TA green set would be far ahead in the poll!

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:20:48 »
Sherry just posted a bit on two new sets for Originative.  Dolch?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40315.0

Edit: I don't know what he has, but if I had to guess...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:35:22 »
Seems like someone said this would happen. I just didn't expect it this soon.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Uleet

« Reply #558 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 02:27:53 »
skidata dolch

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #559 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 02:45:25 »
I would love me some dolch for the poker I just acquired (thanks again JD).
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #560 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 10:47:09 »
Not sure what to do now...

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #561 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 10:51:19 »
Make an announcement and see if the votes will change or stay the same? Then adjust accordingly.

Offline calavera

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:03:35 »
DOLCH ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pasph

« Reply #563 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:04:15 »

run
Pack1 with all the complementary caps for original skidata and dolch sets + corrected keys for originative olivetti set (tab etc.)
Pack2 OCKC or TA
otherwise choose a set never done by Cherry
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #564 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:08:07 »
You people kill me. Honestly. Not you, Ivan. The ones still voting for Dolch. Good luck hitting a 400 MOQ when full sets are available in-stock from a vendor site.  :confused: :confused:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline keymaster

« Reply #565 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:19:33 »
You people kill me. Honestly. Not you, Ivan. The ones still voting for Dolch. Good luck hitting a 400 MOQ when full sets are available in-stock from a vendor site.  :confused: :confused:

Well, it's not for certain yet nor do most people even know about this supposed move. I don't think people bother to read the entire thread through before voting, which is probably the reason votes are still going towards Dolch.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #566 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:23:08 »
That is my concern exactly. Too many people will not wait for the groupbuy and will just buy it from originative, then we loose too many order it can't succeed.
I still wish we could get some cooperation so this dosen't continue happening. I just worry that each time we are near a decision it becomes available suddenly.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:25:24 »

I agree... I don't think some ppl are understanding the MOQ issue w/ GMK... I fear the anxious dolch buyers will jump ship as soon as the retail set comes out. Maybe postpone this GB until the retailer at least announces what they will be selling, then re-run the poll, minus the retail available set(s)?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:40:10 »
Lets wait and see what sherry has and go from there.
Russ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #569 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:54:22 »
Time for Triumph Adler to shine!!  ;D

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #570 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 12:21:31 »
YES!!!! :p

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #571 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 12:24:18 »
YES!!!! :p

You mean the Handarbeit ;D

I am absolutely sure Sherry would not have lost his mind enough to run that  :))

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #572 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 12:36:08 »
I think I will just put on hold until GMK wants to give us a firm production slot for full sets, then we will revisit the colorways. Until then we can switch gears and have more discussion about how to handle the logistics, payment collections and some of these other important topics.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #573 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 12:42:15 »
I think I will just put on hold until GMK wants to give us a firm production slot for full sets, then we will revisit the colorways. Until then we can switch gears and have more discussion about how to handle the logistics, payment collections and some of these other important topics.

Dont wanna sound too negative but I think given a few months all the popular colourways and what people want will be heaped online by Originative, and this GB will sink to the depths of forgotten-dom :(

Being realistic, this GB has conflicting interests with Originative......its a cut-throat game on who is faster with lower prices :(

Although I am absolutely sure there are some sets Sherry wont be providing due to demand, and then demand becomes a problem, too

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #574 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 13:41:14 »
There you go, as feared before: Originative kills off a GMK-GB. Wise move from sherry, so he has no competition and the GMK-monopol.
If I would have been a vendor and a ****, I would have made the same move.

This also shows (again): money > community

Offline pasph

« Reply #575 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 13:44:21 »

Dont wanna sound too negative but I think given a few months all the popular colourways and what people want will be heaped online by Originative, and this GB will sink to the depths of forgotten-dom :(

Being realistic, this GB has conflicting interests with Originative......its a cut-throat game on who is faster with lower prices :(

Although I am absolutely sure there are some sets Sherry wont be providing due to demand, and then demand becomes a problem, too

Until they are classic sets there are no 'copyright', so let's design a new set layout, maybe for an upcoming GH60 or GH75
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #576 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 14:17:46 »
I don't know why this is surprising. It's pretty obvious they have a production slot, and Dolch is the most popular by far. I strongly believed Dolch shouldn't have been an option for this reason alone. We won't know for sure next week, but if true I'd just poll and if the support isn't there just scratch it and move forward with something else. There is nothing we can do because we cannot compete.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline keymaster

« Reply #577 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 15:01:08 »
There you go, as feared before: Originative kills off a GMK-GB. Wise move from sherry, so he has no competition and the GMK-monopol.

community =/= group buys

I can purchase from a group buy or a vendor. This is a keyboard forum -- not a group buying keyboard cult.

If the demand is there for a certain product, you can be certain a vendor will arise to meet its demand.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #578 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 15:17:34 »
You got to have a bit of backbone and not so easily follow the lower instincts.
No culture.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #579 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 15:25:21 »
That is my concern exactly. Too many people will not wait for the groupbuy and will just buy it from originative, then we loose too many order it can't succeed.
I still wish we could get some cooperation so this dosen't continue happening. I just worry that each time we are near a decision it becomes available suddenly.

but, all that would do is delay things a bit...

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #580 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:18:41 »
This is a keyboard forum -- not a group buying keyboard cult.
In my eyes, GH became exactly that.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #581 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:21:19 »
^ Yes...we all know how you feel about GH.
Russ

Offline laden3

« Reply #582 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:43:48 »

There are still risks involved in a business, he needs startup capital, storage space, dedicated time etc. Not to mention that a GB organizer could just run away with the money. Why someone has to be so butthurt when somebody else is making money? Is it not like he is doing something illegal.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #583 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:52:44 »

There are still risks involved in a business, he needs startup capital, storage space, dedicated time etc. Not to mention that a GB organizer could just run away with the money. Why someone has to be so butthurt when somebody else is making money? Is it not like he is doing something illegal.

I think we have us some closet commies on this forum who believe they can change the world starting with this keyboard forum.  :))
Seriously, though. I'm interested in a Dolch set, so if Originative comes up with it first and the price isn't too high, I'll surely go through them.

Group buys are great for uncommon stuff like Sponge Bob keys, but a vendor will eventually replace common wants such as Dolch set, white on black, black on white, etc. People just need to learn to accept this.

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #584 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 16:55:22 »
The limitation I see with the vendor sales is the concentration on ANSI only keysets.

I know this isn't a big deal for a large number of people here and probably across the mechanical keyboard fan base, but it is a shame for those of us in other places who would like the classics to fit on a keyboard they use. I would hope the GBs would focus on the more unusual and across the board (see what I did there) keys but I must say I thought this was a good chance to get hold of a Dolch set for a UK keyboard..I don't think the vendor sets will do that and why would they indeed..as people rightly point out, they have to run a business not support a hobby.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #585 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:03:17 »
It's not the money. I don't mind sherry becoming a billionaire out of his business.
It's the simple fact, that his business pretty much kills any potential GMK GB.
As this may be absolutely fine with US-ANSI 1.25 mods users, any other non-standard keycaps (language packs, certain mod sizes, windowed keycaps, etc. Cherry's tooling has soooo much to offer...) will never be feasable.

But back to the money. The money made sherry put up his business in the first place (duh?!).

It's hard for me to admit, but yes, I am butthurt. Butthurt because people get their language packs and fancy non-standard keycaps denied. "I did this for the community", to quote sherry. (not exact quote, I may paraphrased it, content still remains the same)

@keymaster
I hate to say this, and I don't really mean it, because I know better, but I have to cliché this....
Typical American stereotype. They only care for themselves, the world can burn to its grounds.

Yes, as long as the US-ANSI 1.25 mods users ("Americans") get their goods everything is fine. And if someone words his dislike, because he wants 1.5 mods or 1.75 shift or whatever, it's just "accept it!".

You gotta expand your horizon...
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:08:57 by Acanthophis »

Offline pasph

« Reply #586 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:05:09 »
Group buys are great for uncommon stuff like Sponge Bob keys, but a vendor will eventually replace common wants such as Dolch set, white on black, black on white, etc. People just need to learn to accept this.

So let's make something uncommonly beautiful or beautifully uncommon

Offline laden3

« Reply #587 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:35:11 »
It's not the money. I don't mind sherry becoming a billionaire out of his business.
As this may be absolutely fine with US-ANSI 1.25 mods users, any other non-standard keycaps (language packs, certain mod sizes, windowed keycaps, etc. Cherry's tooling has soooo much to offer...) will never be feasable.

But back to the money. The money made sherry put up his business in the first place (duh?!).

It's hard for me to admit, but yes, I am butthurt. Butthurt because people get their language packs and fancy non-standard keycaps denied. "I did this for the community", to quote sherry. (not exact quote, I may paraphrased it, content still remains the same)

@keymaster
I hate to say this, and I don't really mean it, because I know better, but I have to cliché this....
Typical American stereotype. They only care for themselves, the world can burn to its grounds.

Yes, as long as the US-ANSI 1.25 mods users ("Americans") get their goods everything is fine. And if someone words his dislike, because he wants 1.5 mods or 1.75 shift or whatever, it's just "accept it!".

If I am not mistaken, GMK's MOQ is 400. I really doubt that the previous GB had 400 orders of those big enters/1.75 shifts and why would an ANSI user buy a big enter/1.75 shift that he/she is not going to use.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #588 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:50:57 »
Having both ANSI and ISO, as well as less common key sizes in the same kit everyone is happy. It's not a difficult concept. While some may be content to only buy new gamer boards that are all the same essentially. Some people like myself like to get vintage boards. Sometimes those are missing keycap, or have some in extremely poor shape... and I often find myself saying I wish I had a spare [insert whatever] key to replace that. Or maybe you will find yourself in the future oddly drawn to something like the Filco Minila which has some non standard keys... well you will have solutions already to replace those crappy stock keycap.
Surely one could always trade ISO<->ANSI for two people to have winning without buying 2x as many kits in cases where you are 100% postive you will never use a particular key.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #589 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 17:58:57 »

@keymaster

If I am not mistaken, GMK's MOQ is 400. I really doubt that the previous GB had 400 orders of those big enters/1.75 shifts and why would an ANSI user buy a big enter/1.75 shift that he/she is not going to use.
You're wrong. Let's change that sentence:

Why would every non ANSI user buy +20 keycaps they're not going to use?

Just for your info 1.75 RShift are also used in ANSI keyboards...

Do you actually see what I'm saying here? You're being selfish and so do many people here in GH.

I guess the best option will be to just say screw up ANSI users and Originative and let's go with an EU order from GMK or BSP Europe including every layout people need. This would be a bad choice too.

There are a lot of nice guys that would help everyone to have their sets(Including me). I'm sorry for you for being that selfish and been unable to understand what's going on with this interest in GMK. This isn't about satisfying only USA members.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2013, 18:01:29 by guilleguillaume »

Offline laden3

« Reply #590 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 18:11:07 »
You're wrong. Let's change that sentence:

Why would every non ANSI user buy +20 keycaps they're not going to use?

Just for your info 1.75 RShift are also used in ANSI keyboards...

Do you actually see what I'm saying here? You're being selfish and so do many people here in GH.

I guess the best option will be to just say screw up ANSI users and Originative and let's go with an EU order from GMK or BSP Europe including every layout people need. This would be a bad choice too.

There are a lot of nice guys that would help everyone to have their sets(Including me). I'm sorry for you for being that selfish and been unable to understand what's going on with this interest in GMK. This isn't about satisfying only USA members.

Please calm down and take it easy. I was mainly talking why a business would not include those non-ANSI keys in a set and I am not trying to screw up someone's business.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #591 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:41:09 »

@keymaster

For sure not any GH gbuy.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #592 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 04:55:31 »
Look at the Tab key, and some better looking win keys too

source: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/6048594

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #593 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 05:29:06 »
holy moly i love the tab

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #594 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 05:35:24 »
dat windowed step caps lock.

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #595 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 07:39:14 »
Look at the Tab key, and some better looking win keys too

Show Image

source: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/6048594

Love to see that my sets became popular even in Korea ;)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #596 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:24:55 »
Hey kboardvintage are the windowed caps lock pad printed?

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:27:22 »
Hey kboardvintage are the windowed caps lock pad printed?

Yes, but in my opinion the contrast was as good as the DS ones.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #598 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:34:16 »
Ah I see, just wondering if doubleshot windowed step caps lock was made yet ;D

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:42:27 »
Ah I see, just wondering if doubleshot windowed step caps lock was made yet ;D

None of the windowed caps were double shot, and I don't think they will produce them with DS technique.