Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553271 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5500 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 23:54:10 »
Is there a way to make capslock work with numbers and stuff in windows 7?
I hate when im typing long lists of consts (eg. SEARCH_PROFSLOT_BOTTOM_Y) and I have to still hit shift for the underscore.

Im sure I could use ahk but id rather have the OS handle it like it does the rest of my remappings.

You need a shift lock key. Replace the MX switch on one of your shift keys with an MX lock switch. Problem solved. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #5501 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 00:04:02 »
I hate when im typing long lists of consts (eg. SEARCH_PROFSLOT_BOTTOM_Y) and I have to still hit shift for the underscore.

Im sure I could use ahk but id rather have the OS handle it like it does the rest of my remappings.

You need a shift lock key. Replace the MX switch on one of your shift keys with an MX lock switch. Problem solved. :)

+1 I have done this to my right shift as I do not normally use it. it is a very fast and easy mod and well worth it. good luck finding mx lock switches. 7bit on deskthority might be your best source...

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5502 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 01:15:26 »
For solidity acrylic or stainless for plate?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5503 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 01:23:25 »

Stainless will have less give than acrylic.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5504 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 02:03:16 »

Thanks
how thick usually?

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5505 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 02:04:23 »
Does the Poker 2 come with THICK PBT or just regular? Whats the difference between standard Pokers 2 and teh one one with LEDs? How easy is it to access F keys? Do I have to hold FN with my right hand and hit a number with my left to get an F key? Or can I just hold a windows key with left + number and have quick easy access? Do I have to autohotkey?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5506 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 02:17:27 »

Thanks
how thick usually?

I had a plate cut out of 16 gauge (~1.5mm) stainless steel and I believe that's the standard around here for stainless.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5507 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 03:21:29 »
Does the Poker 2 come with THICK PBT or just regular? Whats the difference between standard Pokers 2 and teh one one with LEDs? How easy is it to access F keys? Do I have to hold FN with my right hand and hit a number with my left to get an F key? Or can I just hold a windows key with left + number and have quick easy access? Do I have to autohotkey?

Does the Poker 2 come with THICK PBT or just regular? the pbt version comes with pbt and backlit version has abs
Whats the difference between standard Pokers 2 and teh one one with LEDs? the led version has the led's already soldered. if you get the pbt version you can solder them yourself but it is a pain in the a$$
How easy is it to access F keys? see the next answer
Do I have to hold FN with my right hand and hit a number with my left to get an F key?  yes
Or can I just hold a windows key with left + number and have quick easy access? no
Do I have to autohotkey? you do not have to do anything you do not want to. :D

btw this might help you also
=poker+II&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0]http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=poker+II&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5508 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 07:11:41 »
SA or DSA which more ergonomic for regular keyboard?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5509 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 07:45:46 »
SA or DSA which more ergonomic for regular keyboard?

Personal preference. Neither are inherently more ergonomic.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5510 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 09:51:45 »
I saw this today and I thought... any keys are relegendable!
:D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5511 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:20:03 »
anyone know if these are the same yelllow as the yellow caps in the gmk cmyk pack?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_yel_arrow

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5512 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:22:25 »
anyone know if these are the same yelllow as the yellow caps in the gmk cmyk pack?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_yel_arrow

Should be, those EK caps are from GMK as well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5513 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:23:20 »

Compared some images and GMKs color codes, and it looks to be that way.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #5514 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:22:24 »
how unstable would it be if I soldered plate mount switches directly onto the pcb?

I have a bunch of plate mount clears here ...

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5515 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:46:37 »

Does the Poker 2 come with THICK PBT or just regular? the pbt version comes with pbt and backlit version has abs
Whats the difference between standard Pokers 2 and teh one one with LEDs? the led version has the led's already soldered. if you get the pbt version you can solder them yourself but it is a pain in the a$$
How easy is it to access F keys? see the next answer
Do I have to hold FN with my right hand and hit a number with my left to get an F key?  yes
Or can I just hold a windows key with left + number and have quick easy access? no
Do I have to autohotkey? you do not have to do anything you do not want to. :D

btw this might help you also
=poker+II&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0]http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=poker+II&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Are all of these 60% boards like that? Are there any 60% boards that have easy, one handed f key access? I thought the DIP switches could be set in a way that the windows key becomes the FN key. I wouldn't mind holding windows + number key to access F keys, but having to use two hands to press F1 is a deal breaker for the gaming that I do.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5516 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:49:23 »
Are all of these 60% boards like that? Are there any 60% boards that have easy, one handed f key access? I thought the DIP switches could be set in a way that the windows key becomes the FN key. I wouldn't mind holding windows + number key to access F keys, but having to use two hands to press F1 is a deal breaker for the gaming that I do.

Fully programmable keyboards, such as the GH60, allow you to assign any key to any switch location. Even the Fn key.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5517 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:51:10 »
I'm confused now because the guy who responded to my post said that you can't make windows key fn, but according to this, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36434.0 that's exactly what dip switch 4 does...

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #5518 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:51:46 »
Are there any 60% boards that have easy, one handed f key access?
I routinely hit function keys with one hand ... pinky on the Fn key, ring or middle finger on the number key.

That may not be the answer you were looking for. It certainly isn't the only answer "out there" for your question, as JDcarpe points out, above.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5519 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:57:02 »
I'm confused now because the guy who responded to my post said that you can't make windows key fn, but according to this, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36434.0 that's exactly what dip switch 4 does...

Poker 2 isn't fully programmable right? Thought it just had two layers that you could reprogram but the base layer where the Fn lies is what it is.

Also, what you're reading is a post from 2012 so it's referring to the Poker X or Poker 1 or the original Poker. Not the same keyboard as Poker 2.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5520 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:00:46 »
how unstable would it be if I soldered plate mount switches directly onto the pcb?

I have a bunch of plate mount clears here ...

Probably very unstable.

Exchange them in the classified for some PCB mount ones, I guess.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5521 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:08:46 »
I play cs:go with a poker layout. I can autobuy just fine. But you shouldn't use autobuy anyways. It is considered "noob".

Poker 2 has a pn and fn layer. The pn layer is the programable layer. You still have to hold the pn key first.

You could just change tge ingame binding to use something other then f1 :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5522 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:15:22 »
I don't know where to ask this question, so I will ask it here...  Please tell me to take it somewhere else if it is not a simple question.

A friend of mine at the office has been using my QFR with blues.  Today he showed me that some of the key presses are not registering.  The ones that are really noticeable are: 5, t, b and left alt.  I noticed right away that 5, t, b are probably on the same matrix line.  Left alt is another story, but that key gets used a lot because he is using the keyboard on a mac (so its his command key).

So to the question.  How do I troubleshoot the problem?  I am guessing there is a problem with a couple solder joints are something like that.  It works a lot of the time, but periodically it misses a key press.  Some of those keys are worse than others.  Should I unsolder those switches and then resolder them and see if that fixes the problem?  Anything I can test with a multimeter which would help diagnose where the problem stems from?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5523 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:16:45 »
I don't know where to ask this question, so I will ask it here...  Please tell me to take it somewhere else if it is not a simple question.

A friend of mine at the office has been using my QFR with blues.  Today he showed me that some of the key presses are not registering.  The ones that are really noticeable are: 5, t, b and left alt.  I noticed right away that 5, t, b are probably on the same matrix line.  Left alt is another story, but that key gets used a lot because he is using the keyboard on a mac (so its his command key).

So to the question.  How do I troubleshoot the problem?  I am guessing there is a problem with a couple solder joints are something like that.  It works a lot of the time, but periodically it misses a key press.  Some of those keys are worse than others.  Should I unsolder those switches and then resolder them and see if that fixes the problem?  Anything I can test with a multimeter which would help diagnose where the problem stems from?

You can test the connectivity of the joint with the multimeter and then check to see if they solder joints are ok. Solder joints should be shiny, not dull.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5524 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:21:00 »

I know some older QFR's had problems with screws being too tight and it affected the board in a similar fashion.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5525 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:22:31 »
Has anyone modded a FC660C to 55g? How does it feel compared to 55g Realforces/55g modded HHKBs?
Thanks!
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5526 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:23:27 »

I know some older QFR's had problems with screws being too tight and it affected the board in a similar fashion.

If that's what you think is going on swill, you can open the case, put a bit of drawer liner between the case and PCB, then close it back up. Might want to try that first actually since it's an easy fix.

Has anyone modded a FC660C to 55g? How does it feel compared to 55g Realforces/55g modded HHKBs?
Thanks!

Wouldn't it feel the same as a Realforce, just in a different form factor? HHKBs are case mounted. Anyways, if you do a Google search, you can find plenty of 45g vs 55g Topre discussions on GeekHack.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5527 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:27:30 »
Thanks Cptn and Ray.  I will try the drawer liner thing first and then work my towards the more technical/invasive suggestions.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5528 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:07:26 »
Swill... it may still be under warranty also... check that befoe you open it and contact support for a rma.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5529 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:14:12 »

[q uote author=domoaligato link=topic=40501.msg1162388#msg1162388 date=1387321646]
Swill... it may still be under warranty also... check that befoe you open it and contact support for a rma.
[/quote]

True. I will check that. Thx.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5530 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:25:18 »

genius level solution. thanks!
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5531 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:43:11 »
Wouldn't it feel the same as a Realforce, just in a different form factor? HHKBs are case mounted. Anyways, if you do a Google search, you can find plenty of 45g vs 55g Topre discussions on GeekHack.

I've heard a lot about 45g vs 55g already; I'm more interested in the subtleties of different topre boards. Most people I've talked to say that the HHKB, FC660C, and Realforce boards have very different feels, even when comparing 45g models. I was wondering if any topre officionatos here, who often talk about their beloved 55g 87Us and 55g modded HHKBs have ever tried modding a FC660C. Many say that the FC660C actually feels closer to a 55g RF, so I was wondering what it would feel like with 55g switches.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5532 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 18:06:24 »
The difference in feel is contributed to many different factors.

To compare a realforce 45g to a realforce 55g is a much easier thing to do. They have the same case design.

To compare an fc660c hhkb rf against each other just doesn't work because of the case differences.
If comparing one 45g against another it is mostly personal preference based on the layout.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:17:29 by domoaligato »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5533 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 20:21:38 »
are the ibm POS computer+keyboard thingies that many stores use to sell things have buckling or rubber domes?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5534 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:07:02 »
If I was to look for 5 alps switches to replace some broken ones on an Apple Extended Keyboard II, how should I go about that?  Classifieds I guess?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5535 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:09:15 »
If I was to look for 5 alps switches to replace some broken ones on an Apple Extended Keyboard II, how should I go about that?  Classifieds I guess?

Yeah, that's about it for options.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5536 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:10:21 »
are the ibm POS computer+keyboard thingies that many stores use to sell things have buckling or rubber domes?

Rubber dome.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5537 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:20:01 »
What is the standard angle that most keyboards are at (without their feet up).  For some reason 7º is sticking in my head, but I have no idea if that is even close to correct.  Any ideas or resources on this?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5538 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:24:10 »
What is the standard angle that most keyboards are at (without their feet up).  For some reason 7º is sticking in my head, but I have no idea if that is even close to correct.  Any ideas or resources on this?
Filco is 5.5deg with feet down, 10deg with feet up (roughly, and off the top of my head)
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5539 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 05:33:17 »
with just some imprecise measurements, It looks like my corsair is right around 4 degrees.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline yasuo

« Reply #5540 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 06:33:14 »
what stainless can be  wraped/bent? like maltron/kinesis

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5541 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 06:42:28 »

You can buy matias alps switches from http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=52

They have a 5 pack. They won't be exactly the same as what's on your keyboard but they should work.

But I know there have been some alps switches for sale in the classifieds recently.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5542 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:19:47 »
Why do some whites click inconsistently? I've heard that they come pre-lubed, and I know that incorrectly- or over-lubing clicky switches can kill the click; if this is the cause in non-clicking or weirdly-clicking whites, can cleaning out the switch and re-lubing it help?

Do people commonly make "ergo-whites," to basically make lubed blues with a softer click?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5543 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:26:15 »
Why do some whites click inconsistently? I've heard that they come pre-lubed, and I know that incorrectly- or over-lubing clicky switches can kill the click; if this is the cause in non-clicking or weirdly-clicking whites, can cleaning out the switch and re-lubing it help?

Do people commonly make "ergo-whites," to basically make lubed blues with a softer click?

So I opened up some White switches recently and didn't notice any lube. I no longer believe Whites have more lube beyond the standard factory lubing. I'm not really sure why they click inconsistently. Issues with the manufacturing tolerances I imagine. There were similar issues with Blues and Greens. Cleaning the switch may help.

Ergo Whites are just Whites with a swapped spring. I personally really like MX Black Spring with an MX White Stem. Lubed MX Blues feel like Browns to me. There's no Click like the Whites have.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5544 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:52:01 »

So I opened up some White switches recently and didn't notice any lube. I no longer believe Whites have more lube beyond the standard factory lubing. I'm not really sure why they click inconsistently. Issues with the manufacturing tolerances I imagine. There were similar issues with Blues and Greens. Cleaning the switch may help.

Ergo Whites are just Whites with a swapped spring. I personally really like MX Black Spring with an MX White Stem. Lubed MX Blues feel like Browns to me. There's no Click like the Whites have.

Do you know if sherryton's 80g springs are close to the springs from blacks? Cherry black springs are rated at 60g, but my understanding is that that's at the point of actuation while the springs on originative are rated at the point where they're fully depressed.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5545 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:53:40 »
1) Do you know if sherryton's 80g springs are close to the springs from blacks?

2) Cherry black springs are rated at 60g, but my understanding is that that's at the point of actuation while the springs on originative are rated at the point where they're fully depressed.

1) I've been told they are, yes.

2) Yes, the Originativeco springs and Korean springs are measured at bottom out. Cherry is measured at acutation point.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5546 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:58:01 »
1) Do you know if sherryton's 80g springs are close to the springs from blacks?

2) Cherry black springs are rated at 60g, but my understanding is that that's at the point of actuation while the springs on originative are rated at the point where they're fully depressed.

1) I've been told they are, yes.

2) Yes, the Originativeco springs and Korean springs are measured at bottom out. Cherry is measured at acutation point.

Great. Thanks so much for your help!

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #5547 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:12:28 »
I am looking for a seperate numbpad with cherry mx blue switches that visually fits a poker. I really like the  Leopold FC 210TP  but the top row seems out of place. Is there a numbpad like the one i am looking for?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5548 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:16:27 »
I am looking for a seperate numbpad with cherry mx blue switches that visually fits a poker. I really like the  Leopold FC 210TP  but the top row seems out of place. Is there a numbpad like the one i am looking for?

What do you mean by "visually fits"? Layouts look similar? Same color? Same profile?

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #5549 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:19:56 »

What do you mean by "visually fits"? Layouts look similar? Same color? Same profile?

The numblock has one row "too much" to fit with a keyboard that has no dedicated F key row
The overall design is great... just to many rows.