Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554499 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7700 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:05:11 »
Absolutely love the sleeving on my headphones (TH600), what's the softest cable sleeving? Or is it a matter of what's getting sleeved?

The softest would be paracord.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline combataran

« Reply #7701 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:09:50 »
Hammer or TEX case for Poker II? My friend can only afford one atm, so which one? Other suggestions are welcome.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7702 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:52:00 »
Hammer or TEX case for Poker II? My friend can only afford one atm, so which one? Other suggestions are welcome.

Hammer is nicer, TEX is cheaper.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7703 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:53:21 »

Hammer all the way.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tbc

« Reply #7704 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:54:31 »

i'm under the impression that the tex is as low profile as it gets.  So if he prefers flat cases, it's TEX all the way.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7705 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:57:42 »

Hammer case is my favorite 60% case on the market

Absolutely love the sleeving on my headphones (TH600), what's the softest cable sleeving? Or is it a matter of what's getting sleeved?

Silica sleeving it's the softest sleeving I've tried. Also please try to keep the thread keyboard related.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 00:59:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline combataran

« Reply #7706 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 01:23:59 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. ;D

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7707 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:54:37 »
ive got a simple question, just dont know if this is the right place to put it....

anyone has the link to the hammer 60% cases on taobao???

u mean fake hammer 60%?

ive got a simple question, just dont know if this is the right place to put it....

You mean this ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.oQu2d5&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=37135757229&pvid=e03e87fc-4d7a-4ca3-b297-395b6db97bea

Oh cool thanks.

Are there actually fake 60% hammer cases?

Has anyone purchased one from the site?

And qtan is getting stocks from this? Meaning I don't have to buy it off taobao anymore, I can just buy it from his site?

My main concern though: Are they really fake? Even if they're fake, are they still of decent quality?

EDIT:

Also, what's a GON and what does it stand for?

And what springs to Ergo Clears use?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 09:05:54 by Razor Lotus »

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7708 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 06:19:24 »

I think hammer is the one to go haha

I'm going for one :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7709 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:11:49 »
GON is a username, it stands for GON.

Ergo clears use any spring really, but most commonly they use 62g. Also, ergo clears implies that they are lubed as well. That's the difference between 62g clears and ergo clears.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #7710 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:30:13 »

Silica sleeving it's the softest sleeving I've tried. Also please try to keep the thread keyboard related.
Yeah, I meant is there was an equivalent sleeving for keyboard cables :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7711 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:40:00 »

Oooo ok. I think you can get silica sleeving for your keyboard cable.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7712 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:46:14 »

So my friend has decided on the getting the Hammer, wants me to help him buy it. Where can I find one in Titanium? And I noticed there seems to be one with a different design in Feng's thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54560.0;attach=53826;image. What's the difference?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:14:29 by combataran »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7713 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:23:19 »

1)  my friend has decided on the getting the Hammer, wants me to help him buy it. Where can I find one in Titanium?

2) And I noticed there seems to be one with a different design in Feng's thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54560.0;attach=53826;image. What's the difference?

1) Classifieds or maybe Taobao

2) Probably not a hammer. Look at fengs previous GBs for the differences between the diff cases he's sold.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7714 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:10:16 »
Will do, thanks. Oh, and he asked something about an FMJ case? What's that about?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7715 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:12:14 »

Oooo ok. I think you can get silica sleeving for your keyboard cable.

Yeah, you can.  I might even can get the sleeve similar to the th600s

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7716 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 16:31:01 »

So my friend has decided on the getting the Hammer, wants me to help him buy it. Where can I find one in Titanium? And I noticed there seems to be one with a different design in Feng's thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54560.0;attach=53826;image. What's the difference?

I dont think that's the hammer one that he would want???

Check out Feng's thread I think. It should look like a really sturdy badass case

Offline yuiop

« Reply #7717 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:16:41 »
Anyone recently got switch stickers from originative? (http://www.originativeco.com/products/switch-stickers)
Product page says nothing about how many stickers you get.  Is it 120 stickers per sheet as usual?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7718 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 23:11:21 »
Does anyone have a suggestion how I might go about figuring out whether all 3 TKL KMAC versions (that I'm aware of: KMAC1.2, KMAC2, and KMAC LE) work with a KMAC 1.4 PCB without a plate and allow for stand-offs in the same locations.  In other words, do all KMAC TKL cases have holes in the bottom part of the case for PCB mounting and in the same locations?

I know that a plateless set up with a KMAC 1.4 PCB can be used with a KMAC2 case (tested), but trying to figure out if other cases will also work.

Found this so far, but it only talks about the top part of the case and plate.  Photographs for 1.2 seem to show no holes in the bottom part of the case.

EDIT: Ok,  I think I've answered my own question... KMAC LE has no holes for stand-offs either: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg702115#msg702115  KMAC 1.2 has no holes for PCB-mounting either.  KMAC 1.2 and 2 seem to accept the same plate and PCB, but KMAC LE has a specialized plate that only works for LE.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 23:42:08 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7719 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 02:21:32 »
Anyone recently got switch stickers from originative? (http://www.originativeco.com/products/switch-stickers)
Product page says nothing about how many stickers you get.  Is it 120 stickers per sheet as usual?

I'm not sure about the exact amount but it's enough for a fullsize. I wouldn't recommend buying from them though. Not sure where else you could get switch stickers from right now.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7720 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 02:29:35 »

I'm not sure about the exact amount but it's enough for a fullsize. I wouldn't recommend buying from them though. Not sure where else you could get switch stickers from right now.

Techkeys.us will have switch stickers in stock next week!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7721 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 07:43:51 »
He asked about an FMJ case?

Here's a link on the FMJ case.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7722 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 07:46:31 »

Ergo clears use any spring really, but most commonly they use 62g. Also, ergo clears implies that they are lubed as well. That's the difference between 62g clears and ergo clears.

whoa! times have changed since i stopped using cherry last year. used to be that ergo clear was just mxblue/red/brown spring, no lube implied.
i cant keep up with you crazy kids.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7723 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 07:49:46 »

whoa! times have changed since i stopped using cherry last year. used to be that ergo clear was just mxblue/red/brown spring, no lube implied.

Yeah, the classic ergo clears are a clear stem with blue/red/brown spring. No lube. However, I know I've personally just called any modified clear an ergo clear. That's probably not a good thing and I should be calling switches like "62g lubed MX Clear" and then "ergo clears". I'll have to make more of a differentiation personally.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7724 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 08:50:22 »
He asked about an FMJ case?

Here's a link on the FMJ case.
Wow. That's a pricey case.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7725 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:00:00 »

Yeah, the classic ergo clears are a clear stem with blue/red/brown spring. No lube. However, I know I've personally just called any modified clear an ergo clear. That's probably not a good thing and I should be calling switches like "62g lubed MX Clear" and then "ergo clears". I'll have to make more of a differentiation personally.

Thanks for the help guys :)

I still have some unanswered questions though :(

Please help if possible! I might jump on that taobao hammer case posted in the page before... just need more input from you guys!

u mean fake hammer 60%?

You mean this ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.oQu2d5&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=37135757229&pvid=e03e87fc-4d7a-4ca3-b297-395b6db97bea

Oh cool thanks.

Are there actually fake 60% hammer cases?

Has anyone purchased one from the site?

And qtan is getting stocks from this? Meaning I don't have to buy it off taobao anymore, I can just buy it from his site?

My main concern though: Are they really fake? Even if they're fake, are they still of decent quality?

EDIT:

Also, what's a GON and what does it stand for?

And what springs to Ergo Clears use?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7726 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:37:15 »

Please help if possible! I might jump on that taobao hammer case posted in the page before... just need more input from you guys!

First off, don't bump your questions. It's just because it would make the thread messy if people kept bumping it.

Second off, how's that a fake Hammer case? I wasn't aware there were fakes on TaoBao. I thought those were just the cases Hammer was making, but now instead of a GB, it's on TaoBao. As I've stated before, I think the Hammer cases are my favorite 60% case from the latest batch of 60% cases.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7727 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:38:33 »
No it's definitely not a genuine Hammer case, have you seen the price?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7728 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:39:25 »

No because I can't check TaoBao at work. It's blocked.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7729 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:39:46 »

$80.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56483.msg1275574#msg1275574

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7730 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:41:30 »

$80.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56483.msg1275574#msg1275574

The OG was what, $200? I'm not really sure what makes this different though so hopefully someone else can chime in who has the case? Perhaps there was a markup? Or they've got the tooling on the CNC setup now so the later runs are much cheaper? I've seen similar pricing drops when looking for quotes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:47:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7731 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:23:49 »
Hey guys, about to order some switches ready for the duck viper & eagle group buy. I noticed some people seem to use PCB mount switches and clip them for use on a board using a plate - I was just going to order plate mounted switches but wandered if someone could shed some light on why people do this, or is just just a case of them having those switches lying around already kinda thing and I'm just over thinking things and should shut up and just order the plate mounted switches!?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7732 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:25:33 »
I noticed some people seem to use PCB mount switches and clip them for use on a board using a plate - I was just going to order plate mounted switches but wondered if someone could shed some light on why people do this.

It's due to the PCB. Some PCBs don't have the holes to accept the PCB mount legs. Since they already have or bought PCB mount switches, it's just easier to clip them instead of buying more switches.

Personally, I like having the PCB mount legs left intact if the PCB accepts the legs because I feel that they add to the stable feeling of the switches in the board.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7733 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:29:20 »
...just a case of them having those switches lying around already kinda thing...

This. PCB mounted switches don't fit on some boards which are meant for a plate.

Dangit CPT. Aren't you supposed to be less active? :mad: :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7734 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:30:00 »

Wow, I can leave if you want me to... :(

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7735 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:32:36 »

First off, don't bump your questions. It's just because it would make the thread messy if people kept bumping it.

Second off, how's that a fake Hammer case? I wasn't aware there were fakes on TaoBao. I thought those were just the cases Hammer was making, but now instead of a GB, it's on TaoBao. As I've stated before, I think the Hammer cases are my favorite 60% case from the latest batch of 60% cases.

I apologize. Just thought that people might have missed my question cause it was on the tail end of the last page.

I didn't know there were fakes as well but the price is really quite low for one. I'm deciding whether to bite the bait. I suppose at the end of the day, could just be used for aesthetics even if they dont feel that solid....

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7736 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:33:58 »
I noticed some people seem to use PCB mount switches and clip them for use on a board using a plate - I was just going to order plate mounted switches but wondered if someone could shed some light on why people do this.

It's due to the PCB. Some PCBs don't have the holes to accept the PCB mount legs. Since they already have or bought PCB mount switches, it's just easier to clip them instead of buying more switches.

Personally, I like having the PCB mount legs left intact if the PCB accepts the legs because I feel that they add to the stable feeling of the switches in the board.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you here - some PCB's will accept the legs when using a plate? In that case it may be worth getting the pcb mount switches and just clipping if necessary.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #7737 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:34:52 »

WHERE ARE YOU GOING? NO.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7738 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:37:28 »

Please stay <3

I apologize. Just thought that people might have missed my question cause it was on the tail end of the last page.

I didn't know there were fakes as well but the price is really quite low for one. I'm deciding whether to bite the bait. I suppose at the end of the day, could just be used for aesthetics even if they dont feel that solid....

The deal could be a complete scam, too, so you wouldn't get anything. I don't think somebody has ordered one of them yet.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you here - some PCB's will accept the legs when using a plate? In that case it may be worth getting the pcb mount switches and just clipping if necessary.

Yes you got that right. The GH60 would be an example for this.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7739 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:39:09 »

Yes. Look at this KMAC PCB, see the black holes to the left and right of the large one in "N"? Those are the holes that allow you to use a plate with PCB mount switches. There are PCBs which won't have those holes and so you can't use PCB mount switches. But I currently can't think of a board that doesn't have those holes.

Picture of just the PCB from here.

Picture of the KMAC with PCB switches and plate from here

The deal could be a complete scam, too, so you wouldn't get anything. I don't think somebody has ordered one of them yet.

Agreed. It could be a scam. I was just trying to offer some factors that might reduce the price. But in the end, I'm not sure I've seen one on the forums here.

Please stay <3

WHERE ARE YOU GOING? NO.

Haha, maybe I should put this somewhere. I'm currently taking some classes which means that my time to spend on keyboard projects and on projects for Geekhack (Clack Info Thread, anything Keepers/Wiki related, etc) is going to be a little less. I'll still be posting but the reviews I'm fond of writing and project stuff are going to be coming at a slower rate for a while.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:45:09 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7740 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:54:10 »
There are PCBs which won't have those holes and so you can't use PCB mount switches. But I currently can't think of a board that doesn't have those holes.

JD40 thru-hole PCB...

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7741 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:57:44 »
There are PCBs which won't have those holes and so you can't use PCB mount switches. But I currently can't think of a board that doesn't have those holes.

JD40 thru-hole PCB...

Show Image

Also the phantom PCB doesn't have the holes either.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7742 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:58:54 »
JD40 thru-hole PCB...

More

Well you should add them then! :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7743 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:01:12 »
JD40 thru-hole PCB...

More

Well you should add them then! :p

That was one of the reasons for the redesign. Also, stabilizer holes and SMT instead of thru-hole.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7744 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:03:05 »
That was one of the reasons for the redesign. Also, stabilizer holes and SMT instead of thru-hole.

Nice one :thumb:

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7745 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:06:56 »
Yes you got that right. The GH60 would be an example for this.

Thanks!

Yes. Look at this KMAC PCB, see the black holes to the left and right of the large one in "N"? Those are the holes that allow you to use a plate with PCB mount switches. There are PCBs which won't have those holes and so you can't use PCB mount switches. But I currently can't think of a board that doesn't have those holes.

Show Image

Picture of just the PCB from here.

Show Image

Picture of the KMAC with PCB switches and plate from here

Guess I'll be ordering the PCB ones then. Thanks a lot for the explanation that's very helpful!

Offline XNine

« Reply #7746 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:21:26 »
Hello, I searched this thread, but didn't see an answer exactly for this question.

There are PCB mounted switches, and Plate mounted switches.  Plate mounts have a couple of tabs on them for mounting on a plate.  Pretty logical.

My question is, WHY are there two types of switches?  Is there any benefit to have PCB mounted VS Plate mounted, or visa versa?  I imagine PCB mounted would be easier for custom set ups since there's no plate that one would have to mill or get fabricated for their project, I was just wondering if there's any real benefit one way or the other?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7747 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:28:09 »
1. There are PCB mounted switches, and Plate mounted switches.  Plate mounts have a couple of tabs on them for mounting on a plate.  Pretty logical.

2. My question is, WHY are there two types of switches?  Is there any benefit to have PCB mounted VS Plate mounted, or visa versa?  I imagine PCB mounted would be easier for custom set ups since there's no plate that one would have to mill or get fabricated for their project, I was just wondering if there's any real benefit one way or the other?

1. PCB mounted switches have those tabs as well and in addition two pins to fixate them, see here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=46376.0;attach=29853;image
2. Plate mounted switches feel more solid. If you PCB mount switches your board can tend to flex a bit depending on how the PCB is supported by the case.

Offline Av180

« Reply #7748 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:37:44 »
What are all the different types of KMAC's and what are the difference, (KMAC2, KMAC1.2 etc.), and what does LE stand for like KMAC LE?

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red
Leopold FC200RE Stock Clear

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7749 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:56:15 »
1. There are PCB mounted switches, and Plate mounted switches.  Plate mounts have a couple of tabs on them for mounting on a plate.  Pretty logical.

2. My question is, WHY are there two types of switches?  Is there any benefit to have PCB mounted VS Plate mounted, or visa versa?  I imagine PCB mounted would be easier for custom set ups since there's no plate that one would have to mill or get fabricated for their project, I was just wondering if there's any real benefit one way or the other?

1. PCB mounted switches have those tabs as well and in addition two pins to fixate them, see here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=46376.0;attach=29853;image
2. Plate mounted switches feel more solid. If you PCB mount switches your board can tend to flex a bit depending on how the PCB is supported by the case.

1. you can clip the 2 small pins on the bottom of PCB mount switches and you now have plate mount. 
2. Building a keyboard with PCB mount is cheaper as it removes a lot of R&D and tooling required to make the plate.  Laser cutting on the scale of a mass produced keyboards would add a very significant portion to the price of the keyboard.  While laser cutting is fairly cheap for short and medium runs, this large of a scale would be most economical to have the plates punched on a very large press.  This actually drops the price per plate down to a couple dollars over material cost.  But costs thousands to have the dies engineered and made.  Not to mention replacements as they will wear out.  Plus it is an extra cost in the assembly process.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich