Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555848 times)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7800 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 21:52:57 »
Hiya, I've read up about lubing on the first page.
I've actually meaning to try to lube my clears that I have to be used with 62g springs.
Just wondering where can I get the lube from other than techkeys. I think those are a little too much for a 60% board that I'm planning on assembling. My current location is in the UK if that helps. Another thing I would like to ask about is, lubing the stabs. Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?
Or should I do both ? Probably the same thing, I'll just need a little to lube the stabs therefore I'm not too keen on purchasing a whole tube. Would like to ask if I can get them in small quantity.

Thanks ! :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7801 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 22:23:02 »
I've actually meaning to try to lube my clears that I have to be used with 62g springs.
Just wondering where can I get the lube from other than techkeys. I think those are a little too much for a 60% board that I'm planning on assembling. My current location is in the UK if that helps. Another thing I would like to ask about is, lubing the stabs. Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?
Or should I do both ? Probably the same thing, I'll just need a little to lube the stabs therefore I'm not too keen on purchasing a whole tube. Would like to ask if I can get them in small quantity.

Well, I usually measure carefully for what I lube so here are somewhat maybe useful for you:
- 60%: 2.3g of lube
- 87%: 3.2g of lube
- 104% : 3.9g of lube
so what you get from techkey (4g) actually is perfectly for your need if you are going to lube 60% + the stabilizers. What techkey has probably the smallest package that you can have on the retail market, I think.

You can either clip the stabs or lube or do both. It is just a matter of personal reference.
I like linear switches

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #7802 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 22:28:18 »

Wait so the lube from techkeys are alright for lubing stabs as well ? I'm going to order the thick variant if that helps.  :)
Thanks again for the reply  :cool:

Well, I usually measure carefully for what I lube so here are somewhat maybe useful for you:
- 60%: 2.3g of lube
- 87%: 3.2g of lube
- 104% : 3.9g of lube
so what you get from techkey (4g) actually is perfectly for your need if you are going to lube 60% + the stabilizers. What techkey has probably the smallest package that you can have on the retail market, I think.

You can either clip the stabs or lube or do both. It is just a matter of personal reference.

Oh alright. Just wanna ask if the techkeys lube are usable for stabs, or I'm getting the message wrongly.  :-X
In this case would the thick lube be sufficient ? Or should I go for the very thick one instead ?
Thanks  ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 May 2014, 22:48:03 by pichu23 »
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline combataran

« Reply #7803 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 23:21:55 »
I'd like to get into switch tuning. What equipment do I need to start things off?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7804 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 23:23:27 »
I'd like to get into switch tuning. What equipment do I need to start things off?

An adjustable iron, Soldapult or Hakko 808/clone is very handy.  Outside of that just the materials you are using to tune your switches.

Really though, anything to get the solder off the PCB will work, just some methods work better than others.  But the easier the method the more expensive it is generally.

Edit so I don't double post.  On my M that I bolt modded a couple of the keys ping real bad when I release and they don't actuate until just before the bottom of the keystroke.  I was told that it is probably the bolts were to tight (brand new barrel plate from unicomp).  So I messed with those and got no change.  Upon further inspection the legends on a couple of the keys are actually starting to wear.    I am thinking I should replace the caps and springs/hammers for the entire board before selling so the end purchaser gets the full appreciation of the glory that is buckling spring. 

1.  Could these symptoms be from weak/worn out springs?
2.  Would this be a wise decision?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 May 2014, 23:29:45 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7805 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:15:59 »
Oh alright. Just wanna ask if the techkeys lube are usable for stabs, or I'm getting the message wrongly.  :-X
In this case would the thick lube be sufficient ? Or should I go for the very thick one instead ?
Thanks  ;D

Then it comes to stabilizers and keyswitch matter. If you have Costa stabilizers, you should go with Thick lube or Super Thick.  If you have Cherry stabilizers, Thin lube would be a better choice.

However, it comes to a second question, which kind of key switch you are going to lube, Cherry Mx Black, Brown or Clear?  It's more important. You should base on the type of your switch to choose the type of lube instead of the stabilizers. The stabilizers should come later because I think Thick or Thin lube on techkey doesn't create big impact on key feeling stabilizer feelings.

Some combinations:
Black (or 80g spring) + Costa stabilizers : Thick lube
Super Black (or > 100g spring) + Costa stabilizers : Super Thick
Black (or 80g spring) + Cherry stabilizers : Thick or Thin
Ergo Clear (or 62g spring) + Cherry stabilizers : Thin

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:24:36 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7806 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 01:21:43 »
Hi, I just read at deskthority that RF 55g is an exclusive product of Elite Keyboards... Is it true?
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7807 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 04:34:53 »
Then it comes to stabilizers and keyswitch matter.

Lubing the switch will not change the feel of the stabilizer of course. For the stabilizer grease is recommended instead of normal lube. If you have Cherry stabilizers you should also clip them.

As for which lube I would just follow mkawas recommendation: thick for clears, thin for linears.

As Melvang already said, you need some soldering equipment and the materials that you need for the mods themselves, so stickers, lube and springs. I would also highly recommend you to buy or build yourself a switch opening tool.

Hi, I just read at deskthority that RF 55g is an exclusive product of Elite Keyboards... Is it true?

Nope: http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1339555983
Found this via the DT wiki.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7808 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:15:55 »
Ouch! 350$ for the RF 55g... :'(
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7809 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:22:48 »
I like linear switches

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7810 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:28:35 »
Ouch! 350$ for the RF 55g... :'(

Where did you get that price?
I saw EK only selling at 215$
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se0800

At the link I posted just one post above his.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7811 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:36:16 »

As Melvang already said, you need some soldering equipment and the materials that you need for the mods themselves, so stickers, lube and springs. I would also highly recommend you to buy or build yourself a switch opening tool.
Which kind of lube? From techkeys.us? And where can I buy a switch opening tool/how do I build one myself?
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:56:14 by combataran »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7812 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:47:04 »
I'd recommend skipping the switch stickers, unless you're doing it for purely aesthetic reasons. And in that case, I'd recommend you think hard about how often you're going to actually look at the switches, and when the answer is "every time I occasionally swap keycaps," skip the stickers anyways.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7813 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:56:26 »

On my M that I bolt modded a couple of the keys ping real bad when I release and they don't actuate until just before the bottom of the keystroke.  I was told that it is probably the bolts were to tight (brand new barrel plate from unicomp).  So I messed with those and got no change.  Upon further inspection the legends on a couple of the keys are actually starting to wear.    I am thinking I should replace the caps and springs/hammers for the entire board before selling so the end purchaser gets the full appreciation of the glory that is buckling spring. 

1.  Could these symptoms be from weak/worn out springs?
2.  Would this be a wise decision?

On a bolt mod I keep my bolts loose. I hold the 4mm socket in my fingers and go to just barely what I would call "snug"

I have tried going tighter and it almost always seems to cause problems.

Tired/worn/weak springs may be a myth. I am not sure that I buy that idea, although I have tons of extra springs so I always try to use ones that look fresh and shiny.

Legends wearing on dye-sub PBT caps? They must have A LOT of use on them!

White Unicomp legends are pad printed and wear out rapidly.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7814 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 07:25:40 »
Which kind of lube? From techkeys.us? And where can I buy a switch opening tool/how do I build one myself?

You can get it from mechanicalkeyboards.com, too, whatever you prefer.

TheBeast occasionally gets some switch tools made, you can also look in the classifieds. Descriptions of how to build one are here, you need to scroll down a bit: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/i-did-a-guide-of-how-to-open-cherry-switches-t2458.html

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7815 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:00:38 »
1) Just wondering where can I get the lube from other than techkeys. My current location is in the UK if that helps. 2)Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?

1) Like BlueBar mentioned, you can buy Krytox lube from MechanicalKeyboards.com as well.
2) I know WASD and The_Beast have said they used SuperLube to lube their stabilizers. I have non-lubed, clipped Cherry stabilizers on my KMAC.

Where can I buy a switch opening tool/how do I build one myself?

Check out this link.

I believe that the exclusivity thing is only for the US. Hence the Leopold link from BlueBar.

I'd recommend skipping the switch stickers, unless you're doing it for purely aesthetic reasons. And in that case, I'd recommend you think hard about how often you're going to actually look at the switches, and when the answer is "every time I occasionally swap keycaps," skip the stickers anyways.

I completely agree with this. I don't sticker any of my switches or keyboards. I don't feel any difference when switches are stickered and I don't care about the looks when I'm swapping caps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:02:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline combataran

« Reply #7816 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:10:17 »

You can get it from mechanicalkeyboards.com, too, whatever you prefer.

TheBeast occasionally gets some switch tools made, you can also look in the classifieds. Descriptions of how to build one are here, you need to scroll down a bit: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/i-did-a-guide-of-how-to-open-cherry-switches-t2458.html

Thanks!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #7817 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:24:31 »
Then it comes to stabilizers and keyswitch matter.

Lubing the switch will not change the feel of the stabilizer of course. For the stabilizer grease is recommended instead of normal lube. If you have Cherry stabilizers you should also clip them.

As for which lube I would just follow mkawas recommendation: thick for clears, thin for linears.

Hiya, I'm planning to get the thick version. But as you said the grease are recommended instead of lube. Is there any grease I can get in small quantity or amount tho?
Thanks.

Thanks  ;D

Then it comes to stabilizers and keyswitch matter. If you have Costa stabilizers, you should go with Thick lube or Super Thick.  If you have Cherry stabilizers, Thin lube would be a better choice.

However, it comes to a second question, which kind of key switch you are going to lube, Cherry Mx Black, Brown or Clear?  It's more important. You should base on the type of your switch to choose the type of lube instead of the stabilizers. The stabilizers should come later because I think Thick or Thin lube on techkey doesn't create big impact on key feeling stabilizer feelings.

Some combinations:
Black (or 80g spring) + Costa stabilizers : Thick lube
Super Black (or > 100g spring) + Costa stabilizers : Super Thick
Black (or 80g spring) + Cherry stabilizers : Thick or Thin
Ergo Clear (or 62g spring) + Cherry stabilizers : Thin

I'm planning to lube clears with 62g. I guess thick should be a better choice no? Cause I'm planning to lube the sliders and rail of the stem and housing. Then again thick lube should be alright for lubing the stabs as well. I'm using cherry stabs Btw.

1) Just wondering where can I get the lube from other than techkeys. My current location is in the UK if that helps. 2)Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?

1) Like BlueBar mentioned, you can buy Krytox lube from MechanicalKeyboards.com as well.
2) I know WASD and The_Beast have said they used SuperLube to lube their stabilizers. I have non-lubed, clipped Cherry stabilizers on my KMAC.

Oh. The thing is MK's shipping to UK is quite a hefty amount :( Another thing I would like to ask is whether if I were to clip the stabs, is lubing really necessary? Superlube is quite pricey I'd say (at least from the prices I see online in the UK) and the hassle to look for it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:32:09 by pichu23 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7818 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:27:04 »
Hiya, I'm planning to get the thick version. But as you said the grease are recommended instead of lube. Is there any grease I can get in small quantity or amount tho?

2)Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?

Try looking for an equivalent grease to SuperLube in a small quantity near you?

I'm planning to lube clears with 62g. I guess thick should be a better choice no? Cause I'm planning to lube the sliders and rail of the stem and housing. Then again thick lube should be alright for lubing the stabs as well. I'm using cherry stabs Btw.

Since mkawa is the one that created the thick and thin mixes you're buying from TechKeys or Mechanicalkeyboards.com, I think sticking with his recommendations is a good idea. So thick mixture Krytox lube on clears. Also typically Krytox is only used to lube switches, not stabilizers. You're more than welcome to experience though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:29:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #7819 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:34:02 »

2)Should I just lube the stabs or do I just clip them ?

Try looking for an equivalent grease to SuperLube in a small quantity near you?

Since mkawa is the one that created the thick and thin mixes you're buying from TechKeys or Mechanicalkeyboards.com, I think sticking with his recommendations is a good idea. So thick mixture Krytox lube on clears. Also typically Krytox is only used to lube switches, not stabilizers. You're more than welcome to experience though.

Thanks ! I'll get the thick one then. I'll try and look around the convenient store for grease then. Any particular characteristic on the grease that I should be looking out for ? :3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7820 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:39:30 »
Any particular characteristic on the grease that I should be looking out for ? :3

If you're not sure, walk into a hardware store and ask them if they have a general purpose synthetic grease similar to SuperLube then show them that ad in the link I posted.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #7821 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:50:53 »
Any particular characteristic on the grease that I should be looking out for ? :3

If you're not sure, walk into a hardware store and ask them if they have a general purpose synthetic grease similar to SuperLube then show them that ad in the link I posted.

Okie dokey :D thanks again !

Offline combataran

« Reply #7822 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:13:32 »
What caps are these and how much do they usually go for?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7823 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:17:01 »
Show Image

They look to me like original Cherry dyesubs. (The legends don't quite pop enough for me to think they're doubleshot.)

For a mint condition ANSI set like that, you're talking $200+.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7824 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:17:28 »
Show Image

Hard to tell exactly but it looks like harvested black on beige Cherry dyesub or doubleshot. If its dyesub, it's PBT. If it's doubleshot, it's ABS. Your best source for them is something like eBay. And the price will depend on the condition obviously. Here is a guide on Cherry keyboards and what keycaps they'll have. I'm also far from a Cherry expert so talking to someone like photekq, sixty, or Ivan will get you more info.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7825 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:23:23 »
They look to me like original Cherry dyesubs. (The legends don't quite pop enough for me to think they're doubleshot.)

I think the legends are too thin for dyesub though :-X

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7826 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:25:34 »

I think the legends are too thin for dyesub though :-X

That's true. The ? especially looks very thin. Well, scooped F/J and A-profile bottom row (I think?) limit it to either dyesubs or doubleshots.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7827 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:27:47 »

I suppose that it is the "pebble" color modifiers that drive the price up?

I am going to be selling a very nice straight-ANSI 11900 dye-sub PBT shortly, and I would be delighted to get 1/4 of that price.

But mine has all beige keys.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7828 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:29:19 »

I suppose that it is the "pebble" color modifiers that drive the price up?

I am going to be selling a very nice straight-ANSI 11900 dye-sub PBT shortly, and I would be delighted to get 1/4 of that price.

But mine has all beige keys.

No it's the fact that people have been trying to find the sets NIB. And this is not the price check thread so let's migrate this discussion elsewhere.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #7829 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:39:12 »
That set looks like Cherry doubleshots not dyesubs to me. I say that because of the slight reflection coming off the bottom row, and because of the colour. The grey modifiers on dyesub sets are lighter.

It's really hard to tell from that photo though.

ANSI 11900 dye-sub PBT
Dyesubbed 11900? Do you mean lasered?

Dyesubs go for $200-300+ due to their rarity. Doubleshot and lasered Cherry caps are fairly easy to find in decent condition. Dyesubs are incredibly hard to find in any condition.

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline combataran

« Reply #7830 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:44:36 »
Some follow up pics:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7831 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:45:27 »
Some follow up pics:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

There's a bit of shine there so I think it's doubleshot ABS. Again, refer to my previous post. Which has relevant information. There's no retail store or GB currently selling these so you'll have to hunt. Well...maybe Sherry still has some but I'm not sure what the status of the Originative store is right now.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7832 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:49:05 »
There's a bit of shine there so I think it's doubleshot ABS. Again, refer to my previous post. Which has relevant information. There's no retail store or GB currently selling these so you'll have to hunt. Well...maybe Sherry still has some but I'm not sure what the status of the Originative store is right now.

I'll take a look around. Thanks.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #7833 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:53:45 »
Those just made me even more unsure. In the second pic the legends look off-black like dyesubs, and in the third the colours of the keys is much more similar to dyesubs.

Honestly, I don't know, although I think they're most likely doubleshots. Who took the photos?
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7834 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:56:01 »
Those just made me even more unsure. In the second pic the legends look off-black like dyesubs, and in the third the colours of the keys is much more similar to dyesubs.

Honestly, I don't know, although I think they're most likely doubleshots. Who took the photos?

From Listokei's site. But I don't know if that mean's Lisotkei took the pictures.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7835 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:00:03 »
Doubleshot and lasered Cherry caps are fairly easy to find in decent condition. Dyesubs are incredibly hard to find in any condition.

OK, you're right.

I had to get out a magnifying glass and bright light.

Mine are lasered.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7836 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:16:34 »

Look at the 7 on the F7 key in the second picture. Again, too thin for dyesubs imo. Also seems somewhat shiny.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7837 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 12:23:06 »
I like linear switches

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7838 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 09:29:59 »
How often do "Stickiness" occur?

I just swopped my set on my pure to a dsa set and now the spacebar isn't as nice and springy anymore and I cant change the spring inside as i dont have anything small to open the switch with...

Do people usually use reds and have a black for a spacebar??

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7839 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 09:44:58 »
1) I just swopped my set on my pure to a dsa set and now the spacebar isn't as nice and springy anymore and I cant change the spring inside as i dont have anything small to open the switch with...

2) Do people usually use reds and have a black for a spacebar?

1) Stickiness after a swap like that usually means something wasn't set correct. Perhaps a stabilizer was shifted or it's not being seated right. Or maybe the spacebar is somehow shifted forward and hitting the case.

2) You can if you want. I don't think the older Cherry boards were setup like that though. For example, Greens were used in the spacebar switch on a board with MX blues.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7840 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:02:12 »
Would the taihao gb dolch + addon fit on a kmac?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7841 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:08:28 »
Would the taihao gb dolch + addon fit on a kmac?

Yes.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7842 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 12:35:13 »
1) I just swopped my set on my pure to a dsa set and now the spacebar isn't as nice and springy anymore and I cant change the spring inside as i dont have anything small to open the switch with...

2) Do people usually use reds and have a black for a spacebar?

1) Stickiness after a swap like that usually means something wasn't set correct. Perhaps a stabilizer was shifted or it's not being seated right. Or maybe the spacebar is somehow shifted forward and hitting the case.

2) You can if you want. I don't think the older Cherry boards were setup like that though. For example, Greens were used in the spacebar switch on a board with MX blues.

Oh dear I'm abit worried now. Cause at first it was rubbing against the keys on the row above it and it was really bad so I flipped it over and while it doesnt rub against the keys on the other rows anymore, it doesn't have that crisp feeling anymore..

I'm not sure how to check if the stabs are a little off or not but they seem to be properly put on

EDIT: So I swopped back the old spacebar and everything works just fine. Nice and crisp. Just that DSA spacebar is abit slow and stiff on the bounceback
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:28:58 by Razor Lotus »

Offline combataran

« Reply #7843 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:57:55 »
These. What caps are these(I only know they are doubleshots)? Pic from Reaper's KMAC Alert(?) review.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7844 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:58:40 »
These. What caps are these(I only know they are doubleshots)? Pic from Reaper's KMAC Alert(?) review.
Show Image

Dude...don't those look exactly the same as the other keycaps you posted from Listokei? They're the same thing.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #7845 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:15:17 »
Again, they're original Cherry doubleshots, from keyboards like the G80-3000HAU, etc.

The caps lock is from a G80-2550HPD
github

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #7846 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:44:04 »
Installed my GMK key caps on QFR for a week and I noticed the cap-lock (I use it as Ctrl) is behaving differently than other keys.

So I popped it open and noticed there is a small plastic stem prop up which grinds against the cap-lock LED.

Are all GMK cap-lock keys like that? Or maybe the QFR's led position is not common?

What can I do to fix this? I don't think a file can reach there.

Thanks
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7847 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:51:49 »
Installed my GMK key caps on QFR for a week and I noticed the cap-lock (I use it as Ctrl) is behaving differently than other keys.

So I popped it open and noticed there is a small plastic stem prop up which grinds against the cap-lock LED.

Show Image

Are all GMK cap-lock keys like that? Or maybe the QFR's led position is not common?

What can I do to fix this? I don't think a file can reach there.

Thanks

You could:

A) Clip that little plastic support using some flush cutters or similar; and/or

B) Remove the LED and sand the top of it flat using sandpaper. Then reinstall.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline combataran

« Reply #7848 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 20:58:35 »
Show Image

Dude...don't those look exactly the same as the other keycaps you posted from Listokei? They're the same thing.
Lol. Sorry, they all look so much alike. It's either beige or something similar. Thanks again.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7849 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 21:12:17 »
Just for my reference the correct dimensions for standard 6.25 unit space bar to stabilizers is 50mm off the center stem, and 57.15mm for a 7 unit, correct?

I am looking for dimensions that fit the more common locations for space bars that are available aftermarket.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich