Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555903 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8550 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:46:22 »
I watched WFD's videos like twice before I did my project and learned what you mentioned from the videos. There's one where he does an ergo-clear mod which was extremely helpful.

I'll have to check those out. I got the fresh solder tip from mkawa, the others were trial-and-error whilst borking my Kingsaver PCB. No regrets though, the experience (and exp from repair job) was invaluable.

Haha, I think I have three meh PCBs which I did all my trial-and-errors on. I prefer learning from doing/trying/breaking things so it works out for me. And it makes for funny stories and possibly unsellable keyboards :).

On that note, I'll add one other thing. You should expect to have some f'ups on this keyboard. It's fairly likely you will lift a pad or two or damage a trace. If that happens, the most important thing is just to NOT MAKE IT WORSE and just keep your cool. If you start getting frustrated, just set it down, come to GH for some advice, and return once you are focused again. You'll be able to repair your f'ups as long as you don't compound them by making angry soldering mistakes.

If you can't handle the idea of having some bubus on this keyboard, you better find another one to practice with first.

Yeah don't be like me and freak out for an hour guys. Most likely someone has experienced the problem before and will know how to fix it. Or you can figure it out yourself but only when you're calm. Don't be like me and rush builds then wonder why they're always ****ed up lol.

And it doesn't have to be a keyboard to practice on. Old electronics like VCRs can be helpful just to get comfortable with soldering.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8551 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:48:58 »
And it doesn't have to be a keyboard to practice on. Old electronics like VCRs can be helpful just to get comfortable with soldering.

Oh, hell yeah. If this is the first time you're plugging in your soldering iron, don't start with a keyboard.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8552 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:15:33 »
Is there any way for me to get this anymore??? http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/andrelyn/DSC_0531.jpg

I'm liking the Dolch and Retro color schemes, and the traditional mods (Hyper,Super,Meta). I wish I could find an active buy for something with them :0

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8553 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:16:32 »
Is there any way for me to get this anymore??? http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/andrelyn/DSC_0531.jpg

I'm liking the Dolch and Retro color schemes, and the traditional mods (Hyper,Super,Meta). I wish I could find an active buy for something with them :0

classifieds, but its kind of hard to find nowadays

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8554 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:17:27 »

It's on back order from SP... http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8555 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:18:23 »

That's Round 3 from DT and 7Bit right? I haven't seen one of those sets for sale in a while. Could ask 7Bit or check some classifieds.

It's on back order from SP... http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

But isn't the set Smasher816 posted DCS? Different profile. Not sure if that matters or not but I thought I'd point it out.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8556 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:19:52 »
smasher wants round 3 dolch

intelli linked DSA dolch
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8557 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:21:39 »
But isn't the set Smasher816 posted DCS? Different profile. Not sure if that matters or not but I thought I'd point it out.

Looks like it, my mistake. Smasher, the SP buy I posted is DSA profile, in which all keys have the same (flat) profile.

intelli linked DSA dolch

For my own benefit, what are the differences, besides the profile?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8558 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:23:28 »

intelli linked DSA dolch

For my own benefit, what are the differences, besides the profile?

If I recall correctly, the text on the bottom modifiers and the legends differ from the two buys.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8559 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:39:53 »
correct
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8560 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:41:50 »

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8561 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:43:34 »
Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I might end up getting the SP, DSA one. The color scheme is very nice. I would have liked the different mod names but it is not a deal breaker.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8563 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 16:15:51 »
How do you Ctlr Alt Del with a 60% and alt F4? Do you have to hold down addition Fn keys?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8564 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 16:18:11 »
Probably. Depends on the layout.

If you're just trying to get task manager, you can just do CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8565 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 18:25:13 »
Yeah, depends on the layout, but for most the functions correspond with the number row (4=f4)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8566 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 05:11:25 »
all these problems seem to point towards dual sided pcbs. mine is single sided, any tips/things to look out for for that? what temperature would be appropriate?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8567 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 05:14:32 »
all these problems seem to point towards dual sided pcbs. mine is single sided, any tips/things to look out for for that? what temperature would be appropriate?

problem for what? Desoldering? You don't need to stay pressed down more than a second

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8568 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 06:27:39 »

problem for what? Desoldering? You don't need to stay pressed down more than a second

spoiling the pcb etc. temps wise what you gh recommend?

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #8569 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 07:37:03 »

spoiling the pcb etc. temps wise what you gh recommend?
Set your temp at 350c (662F) and get a genuine Soldapult and you should have no problems. For lead-free desoldering you may have to increase the temp.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8570 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 08:46:31 »

Single sided PCBs like the QFR are tricky. I really didn't enjoy working on that board. If you put your iron to the board to desolder, and the joint doesn't melt after a second touch, lift your iron and wait. Go slow and be patient so you don't introduce too much heat into the board.

And I agree with what MJ45 said.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8571 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 10:54:52 »

Single sided PCBs like the QFR are tricky. I really didn't enjoy working on that board. If you put your iron to the board to desolder, and the joint doesn't melt after a second touch, lift your iron and wait. Go slow and be patient so you don't introduce too much heat into the board.

And I agree with what MJ45 said.

don't understand why they are tricky. and the soldapullt we are talking about is the edsyn one no? it doesn't ship to me (both edsyn's website and amazon). Sigh singaporean problems.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8572 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 10:58:57 »
1) don't understand why they are tricky.

2) and the soldapullt we are talking about is the edsyn one no? it doesn't ship to me (both edsyn's website and amazon). Sigh singaporean problems.

1) The PCBs are tricky because they're thin so they can't handle or absorb as much heat as the thicker PCBs. You're more prone to lifting pads, burns, and putting holes in the PCB. Like I suggested, watch a few videos on soldering and read the Living Soldering Thread. You can only ask so many questions, the easiest way to get into and learn about soldering is to just do it.

2) Buy your Edsyn soldapult from mkawa's Geekhackers.org. He'll ship to you and has other tools.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #8573 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 13:49:22 »
Is there any place to get Cherry Stabs at the moment besides Gon's Keyboard works?  Mouser seems to be on back order, and it will cost $34 total for me to get shipping from Gon in Korea.  All I need is some stabilizers and a wire for a 7x spacebar...
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8574 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 13:59:28 »
Is there any place to get Cherry Stabs at the moment besides Gon's Keyboard works?  Mouser seems to be on back order, and it will cost $34 total for me to get shipping from Gon in Korea.  All I need is some stabilizers and a wire for a 7x spacebar...

Welcome to the club... :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8575 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:03:43 »

I figured this was a common issue.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8576 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:03:51 »

Here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56052.0
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8577 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:29:40 »

Here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56052.0

Thanks.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8578 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:49:21 »
What switches are these?
68660-0

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8579 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:50:02 »
What switches are these?
(Attachment Link)

I don't know but those red switches go really well with the red numpad

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8580 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:54:28 »

Melvang is looking to make some 7x wires. You can get the stabilizer inserts on Mouser.

What switches are these?
(Attachment Link)

Hm, the color isn't the same but the sliders look the same. I think they might be Olivetti conductive rubber domes. Reminds me a little of the Topre switches. If you can get that, you should and take it apart for keyboard science.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8581 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:58:38 »
What switches are these?
(Attachment Link)

Hm, the color isn't the same but the sliders look the same. I think they might be Olivetti conductive rubber domes. Reminds me a little of the Topre switches. If you can get that, you should and take it apart for keyboard science.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191085843211?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The seller seems to like putting up these keyboards at pretty steep prices

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8582 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:59:29 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191085843211?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The seller seems to like putting up these keyboards at pretty steep prices

Oh yeah, I know that seller. Cool boards but the prices are too high imo.

Offline gcb

« Reply #8583 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:20:51 »
please, add a warning under "modifications" on the stick that most plate mounted keyboards are NOT possible to change the MX steam...

i got one with plate after reading all the threads here about how easy it is to remove the top without desoldering... only to find out later that it only works with the fancy custom plates people here use :/

hopefully it will help other people not make the same dumb mistake i did

and thanks a lot for this thread! it is greatly useful and appreciated!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8584 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:29:12 »
please, add a warning under "modifications" on the stick that most plate mounted keyboards are NOT possible to change the MX steam...

i got one with plate after reading all the threads here about how easy it is to remove the top without desoldering... only to find out later that it only works with the fancy custom plates people here use :/

It's already in the OP.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_HH

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8585 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:30:46 »

Most of the time it is mentioned that you need a custom plate for exchanging switches. This also mentioned and explained in detail in my "Beginner guide to keyboard modding" which is also linked in the FAQ.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8586 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:26:34 »
Would the Duck Poker case fit a 38gt or FaceW?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8587 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:33:51 »

All of those should be Poker compatible, so yes.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8588 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:59:56 »

All of those should be Poker compatible, so yes.
Thanks.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline burnmyshadow

« Reply #8589 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 11:27:36 »
Hello guys

First of all, I'm glad that there's a such great website for keyboard lovers, awesome!

Today I have recieved two identical retired keyboards from my friend:

68797-0
68799-1

One of them works pretty okay (some keys are stuck though), other is not: some function keys aren't responding, numeric pad is almost dead but it responding at least. I have opened cover of the better working kb, removed keys (they are bathing in hot water right now), and I really confused: I expected some springs or something like that but from the first look inside there are just rubbers. Are these keyboards rubber dome? Still haven't figured how to remove that black plastic panel so I can't really say if there are only rubbers. ICL wich logo can be seen is IT-company in my city: http://www.icl.ru/about they are assembled computers someday in the past.

So can somebody help me to identify the model of keyboards I recieved, maybe that sticker on back will help. Or are they just noname cheap stuff and there are no sense of repairing them? Also, this keyboards are recognize only 3 keys pressed together can I do something about it?

Thanks!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8590 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 11:50:33 »
1. I expected some springs or something like that but from the first look inside there are just rubbers. Are these keyboards rubber dome?

2. Or are they just noname cheap stuff and there are no sense of repairing them?

3. Also, this keyboards are recognize only 3 keys pressed together can I do something about it?

1. Yes, those are rubberdomes.
2. Yes.
3. This is called key rollover (or in short KRO). No you can't change that without some serious modding.

And welcome to Geekhack!

Offline burnmyshadow

« Reply #8591 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:37:07 »
Thanks for a quick reply!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #8592 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:11:58 »
How much longer do the screws need to be if i wanna add a plate to my keyboard???

Is there an instruction thread or page on how i should add a plate?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8593 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:15:17 »
How much longer do the screws need to be if i wanna add a plate to my keyboard???

About 0cm. The screws usually don't screw onto the plate.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #8594 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:18:05 »

Right so you mean the screws go right through and they're still only holding the pcb to the case? Like, the only thing holding the plate in place is the mass of switches?

Also, what's the thing about plate and pcb mounted stabs??

I'm using a KBT pure right now. Should I look out for plate mounted stabs and switch? Or will the default stabs be usable?

I realise adding a plate is more work than I thought and I've overlooked so many things

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8595 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:21:25 »
1. Right so you mean the screws go right through and they're still only holding the pcb to the case? Like, the only thing holding the plate in place is the mass of switches?

2. Also, what's the thing about plate and pcb mounted stabs??

3. I'm using a KBT pure right now. Should I look out for plate mounted stabs and switch? Or will the default stabs be usable?

1. Yes, see here for example: http://i.imgur.com/P0qLx.jpg
It is very stable though since as you said its a mass of switches, you distibute the force of each keypress on all switches instead of just one.

2. Please specify?

3. Which stabilizers you can use depends on the plate. You can still use your PCB mounted switches though, independant of the plate.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8596 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:22:19 »

Right so you mean the screws go right through and they're still only holding the pcb to the case? Like, the only thing holding the plate in place is the mass of switches?

Also, what's the thing about plate and pcb mounted stabs??

I'm using a KBT pure right now. Should I look out for plate mounted stabs and switch? Or will the default stabs be usable?

I realise adding a plate is more work than I thought and I've overlooked so many things

There is a hole in the plate. Screw goes through the hole, never touching the plate, and screws the pcb to the case.

The switches hold the plate in place, each one sorta snaps in place.

Not very familiar with the pure, but I assume that its PCB mount. Plate mount or PCB mount is fine if you add a plate, the PCB should allow both. Default is perfectly fine, in fact, I recommend the default PCB mounts because some universal plates are built for PCB mount stabs

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8597 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:37:59 »
1) Also, what's the thing about plate and pcb mounted stabs??
2) Should I look out for plate mounted stabs and switch? Or will the default stabs be usable?

1) What do you mean by this? If you're asking if there's a difference between the two stabilizers, they have different housings.

2) Stabilizers depend on the board. Since you have a PCB mounted board with the Pure, your PCB will have the holes which will accept the PCB mounted stabilizer pieces.

There is a hole in the plate. Screw goes through the hole, never touching the plate, and screws the pcb to the case.

The bottom of the screw or bolt head touches the plate. And I've never seen screws that bolt into PCBs. The switch legs, solder joints, and the fit between the switch and plates hold the plate to the PCB. The plate then gets bolted to the bottom of the case in most of the keyboards I've seen.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:39:57 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #8598 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:46:43 »
Thanks for the reply guys :) And thanks for the picture BlueBar. Seems like PCB Cherry stabs would work just fine for a plate mount as they're still mounted to the pcb without "touching" the plate.

What i wanted to know about the stabs was if there was a difference between plate and pcb mounted stabs and whether i would need to change stabs if i wanted to add a plate to my pure. And also, are pcb/plate stabs interchangable? I don't think so right?

@CPT, I think the picture that bluebar posted, the bottom of the screw head doesnt touch the plate. It just goes right through and directly mounts the pcb to the case. But thanks for your reply too :)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8599 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:52:09 »
The bottom of the screw or bolt head touches the plate. And I've never seen screws that bolt into PCBs. The switch legs, solder joints, and the fit between the switch and plates hold the plate to the PCB. The plate then gets bolted to the bottom of the case in most of the keyboards I've seen.

It's usual for 60%s that the plate is not connected to the screws, except for some customs:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/23ud2r8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RG9LFA8.jpg

1. Seems like PCB Cherry stabs would work just fine for a plate mount as they're still mounted to the pcb without "touching" the plate.

2. What i wanted to know about the stabs was if there was a difference between plate and pcb mounted stabs and whether i would need to change stabs if i wanted to add a plate to my pure. And also, are pcb/plate stabs interchangable? I don't think so right?

1. If you use a thick acrylic plate there might be issues, but I'm not sure. Usually you should be fine. Make sure to lube and clip them while you're at it!
2. They're not interchangable as they have a different base.