Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556620 times)

Offline whentheclouds

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #9100 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 01:59:19 »
if keyboard were a subject, what knowledge would you need to possess in order to become 'proficient' at it?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9101 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:13:53 »
if keyboard were a subject, what knowledge would you need to possess in order to become 'proficient' at it?

Touch typing
How to properly plug in PS/2 keyboard
Basic shortcuts
Basic electronics relating to matrix construction and operation.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9102 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:40:47 »

Engineering
Machining
Prototyping (heh, typing)
Artistic fortitude
Business acumen
Inherit geekiness

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9103 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:11:49 »
Which teensy 2.0 (or 2.0++) compatible custom keyboard firmware is LED-compatible? Looking for (at least) pulse mode and variable brightness.

I don't think there is one with a pulse mode, but TMK firmware has adjustable brightness. I'm sure something like pulse mode is not too hard to program yourself.

Switch anatomy
Electronics and soldering 101
Keyboard and switch history

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9104 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 06:44:30 »

I think the basics are:

Touch Typing
Knowledge of other typing layouts (QWERTY, Dvorak, Colemak, etc)
Basic knowledge of simple hand tools (screwdrivers, multimeter)
Basic keyboard shortcuts (CTRL-L, CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)
Soldering (Don't have to be good at it, just know what it is)
Basic researching skills (persistence, reading comprehension, how to search for things on Google)
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 06:53:19 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9105 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 07:25:31 »

Touch typing
How to properly plug in PS/2 keyboard
Basic shortcuts
Basic electronics relating to matrix construction and operation.

Is that hard?  Or do you just mean that it's not plug'n'play?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9106 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 07:30:20 »
Just the fact that they are not plug and play.  I have seen this be the problem for "Why isn't my Model M working?".  I see this coming up more often with the younger generations coming into custom/vintage hardware and PC's going away from PS/2 ports entirely.

Which teensy 2.0 (or 2.0++) compatible custom keyboard firmware is LED-compatible? Looking for (at least) pulse mode and variable brightness.

I might be wrong here but you might need a dedicated LED driver for this functionality.  Though how to integrate this into a stock key, I have no idea how the software would work.  Though I don't see much of an issue to wire it to a separate switch if said driver has hook ups for that.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #9107 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:04:33 »
Just the fact that they are not plug and play.  I have seen this be the problem for "Why isn't my Model M working?".  I see this coming up more often with the younger generations coming into custom/vintage hardware and PC's going away from PS/2 ports entirely.

I might be wrong here but you might need a dedicated LED driver for this functionality.  Though how to integrate this into a stock key, I have no idea how the software would work.  Though I don't see much of an issue to wire it to a separate switch if said driver has hook ups for that.

Mind pointing me to the right direction for that?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9108 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:08:09 »

Mind pointing me to the right direction for that?

Again, the TMK firmware has some code for backlight dimming, you should take a look at that.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #9109 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:25:55 »
Thanks. I'll try to get into TMK again.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9110 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:27:17 »
Anyone have any experience with vintage clear mx switches? Is there such a thing?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9111 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:28:48 »
Anyone have any experience with vintage clear mx switches? Is there such a thing?

So I have read that there is a break-in period and wear with MX Clears which make them feel nicer versus new Clears. I don't have any personal experience with it though. And I've never heard of vintage Clears.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #9112 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:26:15 »

Feel free to post in the TMK thread. Hasu is generally nice and helpful and will probably give you some pointers on what files to look at and stuff. Though, sometimes it can feel like you are thrown into the deep end :P

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #9113 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 11:39:48 »

Feel free to post in the TMK thread. Hasu is generally nice and helpful and will probably give you some pointers on what files to look at and stuff. Though, sometimes it can feel like you are thrown into the deep end :P
Unfortunately, that's how I felt about firmwares. I managed to understand soarer's work thanks to Dorkvader, so now I'm loathe to try a new firmware because I feel overwhelmed every time I step into the thread.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9114 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 11:43:52 »

Unfortunately, that's how I felt about firmwares. I managed to understand soarer's work thanks to Dorkvader, so now I'm loathe to try a new firmware because I feel overwhelmed every time I step into the thread.

Unless you ask questions, you won't get any help. It's not easy for me either since I'm not inclined to coding.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9115 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:41:38 »
Best place to buy cheap cherry mx switches (small amount 50-100 pieces for diy)?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9116 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:45:47 »
Best place to buy cheap cherry mx switches (small amount 50-100 pieces for diy)?

Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9117 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:14:24 »

Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them
Good price for switches.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9118 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:25:01 »
If you are capable of desoldering, it is often cheaper to buy and old Cherry POS board or similar and harvest switches from it. Depends what type of switch you are looking for.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9119 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:41:07 »
If you are capable of desoldering, it is often cheaper to buy and old Cherry POS board or similar and harvest switches from it. Depends what type of switch you are looking for.
Think about clears for 40% keyboard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9120 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 23:22:56 »
Think about clears for 40% keyboard.

I managed to buy a Cherry MX8100 which had Clears for $25 shipped. You could also get lucky and hunt for a Cherry POS board for that price.

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #9121 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:40:24 »
This isn't really related to keyboards, but kind of. How do people get their keyboard icons in their forum signature's?

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9122 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:42:33 »
This isn't really related to keyboards, but kind of. How do people get their keyboard icons in their forum signature's?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.1250;topicseen
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9123 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:45:41 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.1250;topicseen

This is also in the OP

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9124 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:00:32 »
I found that cherry mx switches have two mods: with diodes and with jumpers. Should take with diodes (if available) because it simplifies the work? And for what purpose jumpers in switch?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9125 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:03:29 »
I found that cherry mx switches have two mods: with diodes and with jumpers. Should take with diodes (if available) because it simplifies the work? And for what purpose jumpers in switch?
Jumpers are used to 'anchor' the switch down to the PCB I believe. Definitely not necessary.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9126 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:05:47 »
Jumpers are used to 'anchor' the switch down to the PCB I believe. Definitely not necessary.

Are you sure?  I'm pretty sure my G80-1813-HFU PCB has traces for the jumpers and they're not just there to anchor the switch.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9127 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:20:27 »
Are you sure?  I'm pretty sure my G80-1813-HFU PCB has traces for the jumpers and they're not just there to anchor the switch.
Yes, there are traces there. If you removed the jumpers from the switches you'd be breaking the circuit. So yes, the jumpers are part of the circuit, but the reason Cherry put them there in the first place is to anchor down the switch.

I guess another possibility is that Cherry wanted to be able to use the same PCBs in both their NKRO and 2KRO keyboards.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9128 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:26:11 »

"jumper wires server couple purposes.  1: solder tie down of the other half of the switch, 2: PCB jumper for single layer boards where you need to hop over a trace to complete your matrix, " >> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36337.msg683367#msg683367

I'm planned single sided pcb, but don't understand how jumper in switch hop over a trace?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9129 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 07:42:09 »
Jumpers that are there to jump over a trace are usually not in the switches and just on the PCB itself. If you have a single layer PCB and you can't avoid two traces crossing each other you can use a jumper wire.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9130 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:19:37 »
Jumpers that are there to jump over a trace are usually not in the switches and just on the PCB itself. If you have a single layer PCB and you can't avoid two traces crossing each other you can use a jumper wire.
I understand purpose of jumpers, just confused jumper in switch, anyway I didn't find clears and browns with diodes, will buy with jumpers and see why they MX1A-C1J[umper]W.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9131 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:40:27 »

I didn't find clears and browns with diodes, will buy with jumpers and see why they MX1A-C1J[umper]W.

Just fyi, most people who buy lose switches end up buying the diodes too. I don't think it's very typical to have switched with diodes already in them.  I've personally never had any loose switches with diodes already installed.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9132 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:55:50 »

I didn't find clears and browns with diodes, will buy with jumpers and see why they MX1A-C1J[umper]W.

Just fyi, most people who buy lose switches end up buying the diodes too. I don't think it's very typical to have switched with diodes already in them.  I've personally never had any loose switches with diodes already installed.

Some of the second hand switches I bought that had been harvested off old boards had diodes in them. None of the newer ones I have bought did though.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #9133 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:39:56 »

Some of the second hand switches I bought that had been harvested off old boards had diodes in them. None of the newer ones I have bought did though.
Thanks for answers. What diodes you can recommend? I think to buy this smd diodes 1N4148 http://www.ebay.com/itm/170817905272.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9134 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:02:59 »
What diodes you can recommend? I think to buy this smd diodes 1N4148 http://www.ebay.com/itm/170817905272.

The 1N4148 will work fine. I typically order mine from Mouser but I'm not sure what's available to you in Russia.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #9135 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:07:00 »
I managed to buy a Cherry MX8100 which had Clears for $25 shipped. You could also get lucky and hunt for a Cherry POS board for that price.

Is this the cheapest board that's easiest to find if I wanted to harvest Clears?
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9136 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 14:26:39 »

Is this the cheapest board that's easiest to find if I wanted to harvest Clears?
That's the cheapest option I've come across.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9137 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 14:28:34 »

Be careful they also come with browns so YMMV.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9138 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:04:39 »
Any idea what switches these might be?
71615-0
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9139 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:13:56 »
(Attachment Link)

No idea. Is that transparent plastic? Can you take a cap off?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:18:28 by BlueBär »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9140 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:26:15 »
(Attachment Link)

it looks transparent, I asked the seller. Here's the keyboards:
71617-0

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9141 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:27:39 »
(Attachment Link)

it looks transparent, I asked the seller. Here's the keyboards:
(Attachment Link)

Those might be hall effect?

HaaTa would probably know better than me.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9142 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:46:28 »
I don't remember ever seeing any transparent switches this tall, so no idea.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9143 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:48:48 »
You'd think sellers would start taking the hint and posting pics of the switches right off the bat

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9144 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 22:16:17 »
So what in the sam hell are these (sorry, apparently the seller has the worst camera in the entire world)? The second one look mx compatibleish
71630-0
71632-1
71634-2
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 01:49:41 by hwood34 »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9145 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:00:23 »
So what in the sam hell are these (sorry, apparently the seller has the worst camera in the entire world)? The second one look mx compatibleish
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Still no idea on the first one. Very tall, transparent housing and a metal slider doesn't ring a bell and I couldn't find anything in the DT wiki either.

I did find something about the other switch though: It is an unknown switch that is currently labelled USw LXBW01.
Here's the DT wiki article: http://deskthority.net/wiki/USw_LXBW01
And here is an imgur album of somebody who found some of these switches before: http://imgur.com/a/zgCm6

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #9146 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:22:57 »
Moar custom / prototype keyboard questions!

Which program would make modifying CAD files easiest?

Preferably something open sourced :P

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9147 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:47:43 »

For 2D CAD I can only recommend LibreCAD.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #9148 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:50:17 »
Gracias. Gonna try that. If it works, then I won't be back :P

p/s: this info should be in the CAD thread :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9149 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 09:58:08 »

I highly recommend autodesk inventor for 3D and Autocad for 2D. I'm not a huge fan of the open source programs and those are what I've used at work. They're also commonly used in industry.