Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555724 times)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #9700 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 01:02:29 »
Quick question about programming a teensy 2.0 keyboard. I got my JD40 all soldered up and now I want to program it. I have a layout all made up in easy avr but I am lost using the flip program.

The teensy will now show up in the program. I can get it to show up in the teensy loader program but flip just wont detect it.

Any help? I am done dealing with it tonight but I would love to have it up and running in the morning.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9701 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 05:20:14 »
What is KMAC? How do you know that a keyboard is a KMAC? I saw the IC of codyeatworld on KMAC PCB + Plate which will be produce by GON. I was wondering what really makes it a KMAC? Is it the PCB? Case? Or both? Sorry for the stupid question though.

It's a Korean custom keyboard. It includes a custom PCB, plate and metal case. You can of course still use the PCB in a different case and call it a KMAC, however usually when people talk about a KMAC they mean the original combination. There's a few versions of them, some have winkeyless cases, some don't. They case material also depends on the version. Here's an example for one:

There's also the KMAC Mini and the KMAC Happy which are not standard tenkeyless boards.

Do the ISO sets in group buys usually include the letters Ö Ä Å or just 2 blanks?

Usually just two blanks since there's a ton of ISO variants. 7bit usually offers proper language kits in his group buys.

Would there be any sort of limitations I should be aware of if I wanted to use an unpowered USB hub for a mouse and keyboard?

By unpowered I mean just drawing power completely from the one USB port and not another usb port or wall wart.

IE would LED lighting on keyboard and "gamer" mouse such as Naga be to taxing?

Well if something draws too much power, one or more of the devices will not work. Can't really say if it would work beforehand as you never know how much power a device draws.

Quick question about programming a teensy 2.0 keyboard. I got my JD40 all soldered up and now I want to program it. I have a layout all made up in easy avr but I am lost using the flip program.

The teensy will now show up in the program. I can get it to show up in the teensy loader program but flip just wont detect it.

Any help? I am done dealing with it tonight but I would love to have it up and running in the morning.

Did you press the button to get into bootloader mode?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9702 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:59:31 »
What is KMAC? How do you know that a keyboard is a KMAC? I saw the IC of codyeatworld on KMAC PCB + Plate which will be produce by GON. I was wondering what really makes it a KMAC? Is it the PCB? Case? Or both? Sorry for the stupid question though.

To expand on what BlueBär said, the plate has "KMAC" cut into it above the arrow cluster on the TKLs. Not sure if that's on the 60% variants boards. The PCBs have KMAC silkscreened onto the PCB itself. And the cases all have the two piece square look with the machined feet. I'm pretty sure KMAC stands for "Korean Maniac Attic Craze". For sure, it is an acronym though.

Would there be any sort of limitations I should be aware of if I wanted to use an unpowered USB hub for a mouse and keyboard?

I used that for years. My unpowered hub just failed and I bought a powered one. No issues.

I'm not 100% sure but you can try following nubbinator's directions for using Flip. Yes it's specific to the Kingsaver but you can try substituting the programming key on the JD40 for the "hold escape" step on the Kingsaver. Also, try PMing Margo Baggins or jdcarpe for help.

Show Image

Is that an actual keycap set?

If not, why hasn't someone done one yet?

It's just stickers on the keycaps. And it seems a little tacky no?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9703 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:03:47 »

These are the instructions from PJRC: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/first_use.html

And you will need the Teensy Loader software, not Flip.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9704 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:04:33 »

I used that for years. My unpowered hub just failed and I bought a powered one. No issues.

My experience has been the opposite.

The powered hub caused problems, but the unpowered one did not.

Also, my Gigabyte motherboard will boot reasonably well from a 2.0 hub but not from a 3.0 hub.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9705 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:06:25 »

My experience has been the opposite.

The powered hub caused problems, but the unpowered one did not.

Also, my Gigabyte motherboard will boot reasonably well from a 2.0 hub but not from a 3.0 hub.

Should be a little clearer. My unpowered hub worked fine. I had it for probably 5+ years and it finally failed. I bought a powered one and have been using it for about a month. Also no issues.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #9706 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:41:38 »
heh, i asked something similar a while ago and CptBadss just said it's called a Frankenstein board

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9707 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:44:15 »
heh, i asked something similar a while ago and CptBadss just said it's called a Frankenstein board

You could call it that as it is a keyboard made from various parts from other keyboards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9708 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 11:44:28 »

What are you referring to?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9710 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:29:34 »
Show Image

Right, it's a Frankenboard if you swap in a GON PCB/plate into a KMAC and LZ case.

To me, a whole complete KMAC is the KMAC plate, PCB, and case together. So if I say "KMAC", that's what I'm referring to.

Edit: In case the imgur picture crashes, here is the link.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:00:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #9711 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:46:00 »
What is the best place to buy LEDs? I'm looking to buy about 70 purple 2x3x4 mm LEDs for a Poker, but ebay doesn't seem to turn up much http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2x3x4+mm+led&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2x3x4mm+led.TRS0&_nkw=2x3x4mm+led&_sacat=0

The pink looks pretty purplish, but I'm afraid that's just because of the way the picture was taken.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9712 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:47:34 »

Offline jessa

« Reply #9713 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:15:35 »
Are there two color variations of the classic IBM Model M, or is the difference I'm seeing due to lighting or age?

There seems to be a beige version, and a gray version (not the dark gray of the industrial model), and I prefer the gray version. I would hate to turn down a good deal because I mistakenly thought it was a beige version when it was really just a bad photo or something that can be fixed with a good clean or retr0bright. I have found nothing online to say that it was manufactured in various colors and items for sale never mention a color with any of the other specs. The only indication that it might be true is that some of the Unicomp keys are available in those two colors.

"Beige" example

"Gray" example

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9714 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:17:26 »
It's just lighting :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9715 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:18:51 »
It's just lighting :thumb:

can confirm

mine was pretty beige in the pictures, but it's fairly white now that I've got it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9716 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:25:01 »

some of the Unicomp keys are available in those two colors.

The proper name for the original key colors are "pearl" and "pebble"

If you buy "gray" keys from Unicomp you will find that they are very "cool" tones where the "pebble" keys are very warm.

Having said that, a black Unicomp case with "bright white" and gray keys could look good, and "lilac" can make a nice subtle accent.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jessa

« Reply #9717 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:08:42 »
The proper name for the original key colors are "pearl" and "pebble"

If you buy "gray" keys from Unicomp you will find that they are very "cool" tones where the "pebble" keys are very warm.

So just to be clear, the IBM version of the Model M was only made in the warmer pearl/pebble combo, and not the cooler grays? And the pearl/pebble caps from Unicomp will match the originals, while the gray are something new and different entirely?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9718 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:30:48 »

So just to be clear, the IBM version of the Model M was only made in the warmer pearl/pebble combo, and not the cooler grays? And the pearl/pebble caps from Unicomp will match the originals, while the gray are something new and different entirely?

You understand correctly

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9719 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:36:25 »
Simple question.

Is posting in here the quick fire way to a higher post count?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9720 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:37:12 »

No, it just consolidates your spam into a thread :(

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9721 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:37:40 »

No, it just consolidates your spam into a thread :(

Simple answer.

Yes.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #9722 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 04:39:09 »
Is the Mionix mouse Massdrop deal worth it or should I bite the bullet and pay the $10 extra on Amazon for one that gets here in a week?

My friend wants macros on his laptop keyboard like he can do with Fn programmed. Is there software or something for this? I only know of buying a new mech and using a Teensy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 04:41:26 by Senthura »
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9723 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 04:56:41 »
1. Is the Mionix mouse Massdrop deal worth it or should I bite the bullet and pay the $10 extra on Amazon for one that gets here in a week?

2. My friend wants macros on his laptop keyboard like he can do with Fn programmed. Is there software or something for this? I only know of buying a new mech and using a Teensy.

1. That's not really a question for this thread. You have to make that decision on your own.
2. He can't do it with the Laptop's Fn key since pressing it doesn't send any actual input to the OS, but if he uses say the Windows key as an Fn key he can do macros with Authotkey.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #9724 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 11:44:27 »
I've been searching the forum for some time now but there is one thing i just don't get....

If you plan on making a plate to mount some cherry my switches into it, you are fine with just 14X14mm square holes, but what about the spacing of these holes? (see link for pic)
 Is it like a standard or does it only depend on the size of the keycap, and if you just use "normal" keycap what is the value of the spacing then? I'm asking because i'm too scared to make a mistake i would deeply regret.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6nr4fbw1p5xsu2/cherry%20mx%20spacing%20interogation%20with%20anotation.jpg?dl=0
Sharing the knowledge

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9725 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 11:50:01 »
I've been searching the forum for some time now but there is one thing i just don't get....

If you plan on making a plate to mount some cherry my switches into it, you are fine with just 14X14mm square holes, but what about the spacing of these holes? (see link for pic)
 Is it like a standard or does it only depend on the size of the keycap, and if you just use "normal" keycap what is the value of the spacing then? I'm asking because i'm too scared to make a mistake i would deeply regret.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6nr4fbw1p5xsu2/cherry%20mx%20spacing%20interogation%20with%20anotation.jpg?dl=0

Cherry spec for holes is .551" x .551" +/- .002" with a max radius in the corners of .012".  Standard spacing is .75".  If you go to www.cherrycorp.com and navigate to the MX line of switches you can find the pdf file to view/download that has all their specs for hole sizes.  I believe they are listed on their site in metric.  Plate thickness spec is .062" +/-.004"
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline gbohn

« Reply #9726 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:10:10 »
Can a bad Cherry MX switch on a plate mounted keyboard be replaced by de-soldering and then replacing only the one bad switch? Or does the PCB need to be de-soldered from all the switches to gain access to replacing it?

Thanks;

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #9727 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:15:29 »
Can a bad Cherry MX switch on a plate mounted keyboard be replaced by de-soldering and then replacing only the one bad switch? Or does the PCB need to be de-soldered from all the switches to gain access to replacing it?

Thanks;
You only need to desolder the single switch  :thumb:

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #9728 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:49:16 »

Cherry spec for holes is .551" x .551" +/- .002" with a max radius in the corners of .012".  Standard spacing is .75".  If you go to www.cherrycorp.com and navigate to the MX line of switches you can find the pdf file to view/download that has all their specs for hole sizes.  I believe they are listed on their site in metric.  Plate thickness spec is .062" +/-.004"

I'm really sorry to insist but when you say standard spacing is 0.75" that means that the actual space of metal that is between each keys mesures 0.75-0.551= 0.199" ?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:59:47 by Kaibz »
Sharing the knowledge

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9729 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 18:48:24 »
Correct.  The .75" is center to center.  Fair warning that changes when you get to longer than 1 unit key.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ceflame

« Reply #9730 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:43:45 »
Does IMSTO's BSP rgb set have higher profile ctrl and alts? http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=89

I just got the pbt rgb set from originative and the ctrl and alts are lower profile than the bsp beige set.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9731 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:47:48 »
Does IMSTO's BSP rgb set have higher profile ctrl and alts? http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=89

I just got the pbt rgb set from originative and the ctrl and alts are lower profile than the bsp beige set.

Imsto's should be A profile, while the other ones are probably B profile.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #9732 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:54:16 »

Imsto's should be A profile, while the other ones are probably B profile.

Alright thanks... Is originative misinforming by listing their PBT rgb ctrl and alts as A profile? Maybe I'm just dumb and it's using a different A profile completely.

Directly from their site http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/bsp-rgb-set "A Profile for Control and Alt, B Profile for Shift, and E Profile for Esc"

Picture of what I recieved

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9733 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 21:21:13 »
Alright thanks... Is originative misinforming by listing their PBT rgb ctrl and alts as A profile? Maybe I'm just dumb and it's using a different A profile completely.

Directly from their site http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/bsp-rgb-set "A Profile for Control and Alt, B Profile for Shift, and E Profile for Esc"

Show Image

As you can see, your shift and your Alt and Ctrl keys all have the same profile. They're all B profile.

Shows once again that you shouldn't buy from Originative I guess.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #9734 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 21:26:30 »

Show Image

As you can see, your shift and your Alt and Ctrl keys all have the same profile. They're all B profile.

Shows once again that you shouldn't buy from Originative I guess.

Ugh, more Originative horror stories. Quality is top notch though, just disappointed that I have to spend another $40 to make my sets match.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #9735 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:06:36 »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there any place where I can get mx switches in the UK?

Does MK.com now ship internationally?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9736 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:32:49 »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there any place where I can get mx switches in the UK?

TechKeys ships internationally: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keyboard-switches

The Keyboard CO also sells switches in the UK, but looks like slightly higher prices: http://www.keyboardco.com/type/mechanical-keyboard-parts-and-mods.asp
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9737 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:39:06 »
TechKeys ships internationally: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keyboard-switches

The Keyboard CO also sells switches in the UK, but looks like slightly higher prices: http://www.keyboardco.com/type/mechanical-keyboard-parts-and-mods.asp

Techkeys only has MX Blues and MX Blacks, the other ones are clone switches. And keyboardco... "slightly higher" prices is a "slight" understatement. 1.62$ for a single switch is insane.

You can get MX Blacks and MX Whites from Conrad for a decent price or you can order any type of MX switch from 7bit on Deskthority.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #9738 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:44:48 »

Damn... 1 GBP per switch :( :(

Offline BlueBär

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9740 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:40:17 »
I highly recommend 7bit for switches and he is located in Europe, so shipping should be swift.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9741 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:43:56 »

I thought that Mk.com shipped internationally.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9742 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 12:22:40 »

I thought that Mk.com shipped internationally.

They do, but it's stupid expensive.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9743 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 00:32:53 »
Between the JD40, the CTRL[ALT]40 and the SmallFry board that Mkawa is selling, do they all have the same physical layout? 

Wondering as I am considering doing an IC for a keyset for those boards and want to make it compatible for all.

If they are the same, how many of each size key would I need?

If it isn't to much could I get info that is row specific in the off chance I want to do something like DCS.

Edit:  Found this.

Jdcarpe, can you post the keycaps needed specifically for the 40%, and add that info to the OP. I'd like them to be added to every future GB.

Sure.

Row 2: 1u Esc, 1u Del or Backspace
Row 3: 1.25u Tab, 1.75u Return or Enter
Row 4: 1.75u Shift, 1.25u Shift, 1u Fn
Row 4 (SA Row 3): 1.25u Ctrl, 1u Win or Del, 1u Alt; optional layout: 1.25u >., 1.25u ?/
[/quote]

Would this list work for all three boards?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:02:57 by Melvang »

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #9744 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:54:43 »
Correct.  The .75" is center to center.  Fair warning that changes when you get to longer than 1 unit key.

thanks a lot for answering!

If i want to create 2 small keyboard plates (pic), i don't want to use a PCB, i understand that the real issue is actually to be able to create square 14X14 holes in metal (laser cutting is just too expensive for me), so i'm wondering is there a material other than metal that would be "good enough" to hold mx Cherry switches or easier to work on like plexiglass? And if it is, are there tools i haven't heard of that would allow to cut squares holes in plexiglass

If you had to make this holes would the best method be to just drill 14 mm holes and then use a metal file to create the actual squares?

Sharing the knowledge

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9745 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:51:34 »
If i want to create 2 small keyboard plates (pic), i don't want to use a PCB, i understand that the real issue is actually to be able to create square 14X14 holes in metal (laser cutting is just too expensive for me), so i'm wondering is there a material other than metal that would be "good enough" to hold mx Cherry switches or easier to work on like plexiglass? And if it is, are there tools i haven't heard of that would allow to cut squares holes in plexiglass

If you had to make this holes would the best method be to just drill 14 mm holes and then use a metal file to create the actual squares?

Show Image

You can look up if your local university has a laser cutter, if so they usually do that stuff cheaper than big shops.

Apart from that I've seen acrylic and wooden "plates". You can use a dremel to cut the holes which might be the easiest option. Use a file for the last millimeters to get the best fit.
The problem is, if you use something non-metal, you will have to use a thicker plate which will not hold the switch as tightly as it has little hooks that are supposed to grab onto the underside of the plate. So swapping keycaps might loosen some of the switches.

Something else you could do is get a matrix POS keyboard (like a Tipro) and cut the plates to shape. That might actually be the easiest option as your picture shows a matrix switch layout if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #9746 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:04:57 »
Thank you very much for your answer BlueBär.

If i understand correctly, if i use acrylic, i have to use thicker plate than metal, but are you saying that because a 1.57mm (which is the standard plate thickness)  thick plexiglass plate would be too fragile (break) or because it would bend too much when i type ?

Unfortunatly a POS keyboard plate would not fit for my bottom plate as 2 keys at the bottom are 1X25, but for the top plate it might actually work thank you for the reference.
Sharing the knowledge

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9747 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:11:37 »
If i understand correctly, if i use acrylic, i have to use thicker plate than metal, but are you saying that because a 1.57mm (which is the standard plate thickness)  thick plexiglass plate would be too fragile (break) or because it would bend too much when i type ?

You have to use a thicker plate because you usually can't get acrylic plates in that thickness ;D

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #9748 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:36:02 »
I had not thought about this, good point :(

Thanks for your answers.

Cheers!
Sharing the knowledge

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #9749 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:14:10 »
Where can a man based in middle europe buy some Krytox or similar stuff?
... ...