Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554471 times)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10050 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:29:34 »
 :thumb: All :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10051 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:53:13 »
Are all Cherry G80/G81-3000 cases interchangeable?

Will older G80 internals fit in newer G81 housings, and vice versa?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10052 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:14:03 »

I believe so. Zenuty's NCR G80 uses the housing of a G81-3077 so I think it could probably apply to any G81 case.

Offline Split_

« Reply #10053 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:38:44 »
I'm new here on geekhack so hello! On to my question; is there much in the way of differences between keyboards of the same size/layout, aside from reprogamming options/function layers which aren't of much concern to me, if you plan to install a new case after purchase? I'll probably have to make a separate thread, but I'm looking to purchase a 60% board with mx clears, notably between the new massdrop ducky mini or a poker 2 from a previous massdrop.

To my knowledge the big components for a keyboard are the case (as said would be third-party), pcb (would for all intents and purposes only make a difference in programming options/function layers), switches (as I have no soldering skills/equipment and would like mx clears), and keycaps which would be third-party as well, so no difference there.

And as a secondary question, is there a brief explanation of the difference between pcb and plate mounted boards? Is one option better than the other, and would either the mini or poker 2 differ in that respect?

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to reply. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:42:43 by Split_ »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10054 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:51:40 »
1) Is there much in the way of differences between keyboards of the same size/layout, aside from reprogamming options/function layers which aren't of much concern to me, if you plan to install a new case after purchase?
2) I'll probably have to make a separate thread, but I'm looking to purchase a 60% board with mx clears, notably between the new massdrop ducky mini or a poker 2 from a previous massdrop.
3) To my knowledge the big components for a keyboard are the case (as said would be third-party), pcb (would for all intents and purposes only make a difference in programming options/function layers), switches (as I have no soldering skills/equipment and would like mx clears), and keycaps which would be third-party as well, so no difference there.
4) Is there a brief explanation of the difference between pcb and plate mounted boards?
5) Is one option better than the other, and would either the mini or poker 2 differ in that respect?

1) Yes, how the cases and PCB mount will change. There can differences in dimensions. Just because it's relatively the same layout doesn't exactly mean it will fit into any case.
2) I think you'd be happy with either choice. I'm actually going to get a Ducky Year of the Horse probably which is a Ducky Mini in an aluminum case.
3) I think your list is missing the controller but you've got the gist of it.
4) PCB mounted means the switches are mounted into the PCB and it looks something like this. Note how it sits right on top of the circuit board and you can see the circuit. Plate mounted means the switches sit on a plate and then the PCB gets sandwiched between the plate and case. Notice how the switches sit on a black surface which is the plate and there's a but of writing in the little window (that's the PCB).
5) Ducky Mini and Poker 2 are both plate mounted. PCB mounted switches can be described as feeling "softer" when you type on them in my opinion. I prefer the solidity of plate mounted switches.

Offline Split_

« Reply #10055 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 19:12:03 »
Wonderful, thank you so much! The faq was especially helpful in figuring out some things before posting.

So to confirm, since I feel as if I'm missing something, there's not too much in the way of differences between boards of identical size/layout? There might be some dimensional differences which would be relevant for purchasing a case and differences in software/programming/function layers, but aside from some minor features being included or not, meaning things such as LEDs or solder free switch replacement etc., generally speaking there isn't too much of a difference between these boards? I ask since from the variety of community and market produced keyboards for, say, 60%, I feel as if there's something significant I might be missing.

Lastly, my main reason for desiring a third party case is I'm very much a fan of the "floating key" design and would love such for my keyboard. This case ( http://pexon-pcs.myshopify.com/products/60-aluminium-case ) comes to mind, although it won't be in stock for a little bit and I'm afraid I wasn't around for when they were available a few months ago. Off the top of your head, are there any other cases, not being too expensive, which also are low cut and have the floating key element to them? If nothing comes to mind then please don't bother yourself searching, you've already been a great help.

No more questions from me I swear  ;D, thank you very much for your time.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10056 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 19:20:41 »

Yep. As said above, lots of people who get NCR's or any other nice G81 case just put G80 internals into them
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10057 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:35:31 »
1) Since I feel as if I'm missing something, there's not too much in the way of differences between boards of identical size/layout?
2) Off the top of your head, are there any other cases, not being too expensive, which also are low cut and have the floating key element to them?

1) - Different case designs/looks
- different layout,
- are the boards backlit,
- do the boards have reprogrammability or dipswitches,
- how are the boards angled,
- what materials are used in the construction,
- does the board have a plate or not

The above list are some differences that boards can have

2) Poker X, Poker 2,  a modified jdcarpe plate case, and GON customs are all quick examples of this case design you've suggested.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #10058 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:38:26 »
Do Filcos come with stock clears, or would i have to mod to have clears on a filco ?
eh o well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10059 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:39:17 »
Do Filcos come with stock clears, or would i have to mod to have clears on a filco ?

You have to mod the Filco yourself to have MX Clears. Alternatively, there are people who will do modding. In CONUS, there is tjcaustin, dorkvader, and LastPilot who offer assembly services.

Offline jackalope

« Reply #10060 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:41:43 »

You have to mod the Filco yourself to have MX Clears. Alternatively, there are people who will do modding. In CONUS, there is tjcaustin, dorkvader, and LastPilot who offer assembly services.

Thanks you.  Is it fairly straight forward to mod, ie being confident soldering and desoldering, or is their more to it?
eh o well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10061 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:42:31 »
Thanks you.  Is it fairly straight forward to mod, ie being confident soldering and desoldering, or is their more to it?

Gotta get that case open too but that's about it :). Oh and you may want to take care and remove the cable. It's held in with a little plug. I've posted some poor pictures documenting how you can remove the cable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:45:17 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10062 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:43:20 »

Thats it.  desolder old switches, solder in new switches, put back in case.  Fair warning though, the Filco uses a double sided PCB that is slightly more difficult to desolder than a single sided PCB.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jackalope

« Reply #10063 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:45:04 »
Thanks again kind gentlemen, looks like I have my first project. Can get it painted fire engine red while i'm at it.
eh o well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10064 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:45:48 »
Can get it painted fire engine red while i'm at it.

You could also get a controller from bpiphany so you can get full reprogrammability on your Filco. Just an idea :).

Offline jackalope

« Reply #10065 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:49:39 »

You could also get a controller from bpiphany so you can get full reprogrammability on your Filco. Just an idea :).

Wouldn't it also be possible to accomplish with a teensy, I have a few laying around.
eh o well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10066 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 20:50:54 »
Wouldn't it also be possible to accomplish with a teensy, I have a few laying around.

I'm fairly sure you can but I'm not as familiar with the process of doing so. Perhaps jdcarpe or dorkvader will see this and enlighten us. Or maybe there's some info in the Soarer converter thread :).

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10067 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 23:06:34 »

I believe so. Zenuty's NCR G80 uses the housing of a G81-3077 so I think it could probably apply to any G81 case.

Show Image

Okay,  thanks   :)
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10068 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 23:32:02 »

That controller from bpiphany is essentially a teensy but on a different PCB such that it is a direct replacement.  Simply remove factory controller, install aftermarket controller, flash firmware to it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10069 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 07:03:16 »
Plywood(triplex) v acrylic for plate?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10070 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 07:18:44 »
Plywood(triplex) v acrylic for plate?

Switches will have to be glued in without getting creative with layers.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10071 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:56:17 »
Are the sliders in the HHKB Type-S the same as the purple silent Realforce sliders, aside from the plastic color? Or do they employ a different silencing technique?

Anyone? :)
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #10072 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:12:59 »
Is this HHKB keyset 100% compatible with the Realforce 87u? Thanks!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10073 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:14:21 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:13:40 by esoomenona »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10074 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:15:39 »

Show Image

Worth noting that's with a Leeku PCB which is compatible with all G81/G80 cases. I think there's issues with using certain G80 PCBs with certain G81 cases, but I don't know which ones. Ivan would know better I think. For the most part you'll be OK though.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Hordak

« Reply #10075 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:23:20 »
Is widebasket the only place where you can currently get replacement keys for the 87u?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10076 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:31:32 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:13:51 by esoomenona »

Offline Hordak

« Reply #10077 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:49:54 »
Is widebasket the only place where you can currently get replacement keys for the 87u?

You can get them directly from Leopold's website.

Thanks, but how do you translate it? Google translate is not working so good for me.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10078 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:06:02 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:14:03 by esoomenona »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10079 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:10:15 »
I'm pretty sure you need a Korean credit card to order from them. Even if you have one, I don't think they ship outside of Korea. I know they don't take American CCs or ship to the USA, probably not Austria either.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10080 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:12:07 »
Are the sliders in the HHKB Type-S the same as the purple silent Realforce sliders, aside from the plastic color? Or do they employ a different silencing technique?

Perhaps you can PM 002 here on or Deskthority. I don't know a lot about Topre so I haven't replied.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10081 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:13:35 »

Perhaps you can PM 002 here on or Deskthority. I don't know a lot about Topre so I haven't replied.

I also don't know a lot about topre, but my gut instinct is that they are the same.  Maybe posting in the Post Your Topre Board thread would yield a wider array of responses.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10082 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 03:49:58 »
Hello

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LED panel on the model M. I am looking for height and length. As well as spacing of the LEDS

measurements I am looking for...

←B→
l                                                              l    A
l                 _              _              _            l    ↓
l      ←c→   l_l    ←d→ l_l  ←e→   l_l ←f→    l
l__________________________________ l           

Any help would be much love                                 

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #10083 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:29:30 »
Where would I be able to get 62g springs? I missed out on the sprit groupbuy :(

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10084 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:32:55 »
If you're willing to take the risk with Originative: http://www.originativeco.com/collections/accessories/products/springs
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #10085 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:35:38 »
Damn it, I knew it was the only possible location. Might as well go with Zeal.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10086 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:35:53 »
If you're willing to take the risk with Originative: http://www.originativeco.com/collections/accessories/products/springs

You could also wait and see if one of the proxies like BlueBar or Hoffman has extras.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10087 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:41:46 »
You could also wait and see if one of the proxies like BlueBar or Hoffman has extras.

NO! ALL MINE!
I'll probably have some. You'll have to wait until everybody has their order from me though so I don't give away stuff that belongs to somebody else.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10088 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:55:59 »
Hello

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LED panel on the model M. I am looking for height and length. As well as spacing of the LEDS

←B→

Just got out the calipers and eyeballed it.
a: ~23.3mm
b: ~77.65mm
c: ~4.15mm
D: ~20.1mm
E: ~20.1mm
F: ~19.1mm
G: ~17.0mm

Width of the LED cutout is ~5.15mm
height of the LED cutout is ~2.5mm

I always do code or fonts for fixed width stuff like so:
Code: [Select]
                ←B→
|                             |    A
|      _       _       _      |    ↓
| ←c→ |_| ←d→ |_| ←e→ |_| ←f→ |
|_____________________________| 

←B→
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:03:14 by dorkvader »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10089 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:59:00 »
Aside from feelings of nostalgia when it comes to classic keyboards, why do we like keyboards so much?

What's a concrete explaination to explain our fascination?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10090 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:00:11 »
Aside from feelings of nostalgia when it comes to classic keyboards, why do we like keyboards so much?

Keyboard is love, keyboard is life.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10091 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:00:22 »

Might as well make that question its own thread. :D

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10092 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:02:08 »

Might as well make that question its own thread. :D
I guess it's not such a simple question after all :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10093 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:03:43 »

I just want to enjoy my feeling :D.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10094 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:05:14 »

Amen. :D

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10095 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:05:31 »

I'm in it for making hacking and engineering.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10096 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:11:38 »
Hello

←B→

←B→

←B→

Thank you so so so so much. Much appreciated.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10097 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 07:17:11 »
Hello

←B→

←B→

←B→

Thank you so so so so much. Much appreciated.

NP, but my measurements are all on the "too big" side by just a little. If you add up the widths of things, you get 4.15+20.1+20.1+19.1+3*5.15 = 78.9mm, 1.25mm longer than it should be, representing precision of plus or minus 0.25mm on every measurement (plus in this case). Just keep that in mind.

Glad I could help though.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10098 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:01:48 »

I actually ended up 2 short on the 62g springs.  So I'll either end up with zero (if I made a mistake somewhere and catch it), or I'll remain 2 short.   :(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10099 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:18:31 »

I actually ended up 2 short on the 62g springs.  So I'll either end up with zero (if I made a mistake somewhere and catch it), or I'll remain 2 short.   :(

I believe I have about 20 spares. PM incoming.