Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554133 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10450 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 01:22:47 »
2) Does the firmware support a MX Lock switch?
is MX Lock need firmware? i think just lock like press as usual

You would need to set it up as a shift if you want to use an MX Lock and have it work properly.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10451 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 04:56:38 »

You would need to set it up as a shift if you want to use an MX Lock and have it work properly.
Can't tell if trolling... I'd like to use the MX lock as a function layer on the 1800 for giggles. It was my understanding that the lock switch would need firmware support in order to do so. Think metalliqaz told me that? I probably should've been more specific.
I'm pretty sure that's the updated firmware. Unless there's a newer version.
Thank you...
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 04:59:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10452 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:00:31 »
Two questions about the Leeku 1800 PCB:

1) Is this the only firmware or is there an updated one?

I'm not sure if there is newer firmware, but if there is you'll find it on kbdmania.

You don't need the firmware to support a lock switch. The MX lock acts like a regular MX switch that is being held down. You would need firmware if you wanted to use the MX lock as a toggle-able caps lock though, but that's it. Whether the Leeku supports a function layer is another question..
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10453 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:04:37 »

You would need firmware if you wanted to use the MX lock as a toggle-able caps lock though, but that's it. Whether the Leeku supports a function layer is another question..

Yeah that's what I wanted it for. Should've stated that. And I probably won't do it but I was curious.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #10454 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 06:35:21 »
If they're yellowed you can try retrobright, not sure what kind of effect it would have on the black plastic though.

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Retrobright's effect on black plastic.

Hopefully it doesn't act like bleach and black shirts.

That might turn into a new thing though. Surely someone would like it.

Hi guys,

just found this old post, as I was thinking on doing a retrobright in WoB also... anyone knows if there would be any problem with the black color?! Doesn't make much sense as I've done retrobright in classic beige doubleshots and the black lettering remained perfect.
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10455 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 06:37:40 »
anyone knows if there would be any problem with the black color?! Doesn't make much sense as I've done retrobright in classic beige doubleshots and the black lettering remained perfect.

A quick Google search yields this page on the retr0bright website. Scroll down to #4.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10456 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:58:13 »

Can't tell if trolling... I'd like to use the MX lock as a function layer on the 1800 for giggles. It was my understanding that the lock switch would need firmware support in order to do so. Think metalliqaz told me that? I probably should've been more specific.

If you want it to behave as a Caps Lock, you need to assign the Caps Lock switch to be a Shift key.  Yes, I know that Caps Lock doesn't toggle !@#$ on the number row and Shift does, but since, as Photekq stated, MX Locks basically hold the key down.  In order to get the Caps lock functionality, you'd need to set up the switch as a Shift, making it a Shift Lock.  Otherwise, you would need firmware that only acknowledged the initial toggle and release and not the switch being held down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10457 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:59:44 »

If you want it to behave as a Caps Lock, you need to assign the Caps Lock switch to be a Shift key.  Yes, I know that Caps Lock doesn't toggle !@#$ on the number row and Shift does, but since, as Photekq stated, MX Locks basically hold the key down.  In order to get the Caps lock functionality, you'd need to set up the switch as a Shift, making it a Shift Lock.  Otherwise, you would need firmware that only acknowledged the initial toggle and release and not the switch being held down.

And if you want it to behave as a toggled function key, you would just program it to act as a momentary function key and the switch just holds itself down.

Am I misinterpreting what you're trying to do, CBA?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10458 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:00:55 »
If you want it to behave as a toggled function key, you would just program it to act as a momentary function key and the switch just holds itself down.

Am I misinterpreting what you're trying to do, CBA?

No you got it. I should have asked this question:

"I want my MX Lock to act like a toggled function key on my Leeku 1800. Does the firmware support it?"

But I think I've got it now. Thanks everyone.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #10459 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:27:37 »
what's one step up from mx reds

korean spring wise

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10460 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:28:06 »

Sorry? Do you mean spring force wise?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #10461 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:31:10 »

it was kinda implied but yes

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10462 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:33:22 »

If I understood what you were asking, I wouldn't have asked for clarification. Or was my confusion not implied too?

I think you want 62g springs.

what korean spring is a tad heavier then mx reds? i forgot :)

62g-65g.

Last time you asked, BlueBär suggested this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:34:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10463 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:37:25 »

#gold springs would be a step up.   :rolleyes:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10464 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:44:29 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:40:47 by esoomenona »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #10465 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 14:14:59 »

If I understood what you were asking, I wouldn't have asked for clarification. Or was my confusion not implied too?

I think you want 62g springs.

what korean spring is a tad heavier then mx reds? i forgot :)

62g-65g.

Last time you asked, BlueBär suggested this.

word thanks

#gold springs would be a step up.   :rolleyes:

that's what I'm thinking about doing lol

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #10466 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:04:16 »
Will a 1390636 Model M work with the average modern PC with a DIN5->PS/2 adapter?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10467 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:08:19 »
Will a 1390636 Model M work with the average modern PC with a DIN5->PS/2 adapter?

Does the board have the DIN5 connector or the RJ45 connector? RJ45 will look like a telephone cable plug. If it has the DIN5 connector, you can use the adapter as you said. If it has the RJ45, you'll need to convert it. A Soarer converter is popular for this and supposedly it's very easy. I haven't tried it myself though so I can't speak to the ease of the mod first hand.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10468 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:12:09 »

Does the board have the DIN5 connector or the RJ45 connector? RJ45 will look like a telephone cable plug. If it has the DIN5 connector, you can use the adapter as you said. If it has the RJ45, you'll need to convert it. A Soarer converter is popular for this and supposedly it's very easy. I haven't tried it myself though so I can't speak to the ease of the mod first hand.
I thought all 1390636's had the DIN5 connector (all of the ones I have found on the internet were DIN5). The seller does not actually have a picture showing the connector so I will send him a message.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10469 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:13:41 »
I thought all 1390636's had the DIN5 connector (all of the ones I have found on the internet were DIN5). The seller does not actually have a picture showing the connector so I will send him a message.

A Model M 1390636 is a terminal model right? If so, I'm not 100% sure what connector it has.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10470 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:19:28 »

A Model M 1390636 is a terminal model right? If so, I'm not 100% sure what connector it has.
Yes, I do believe it is a terminal board. Is it not possible to re-wire an RJ-45 connector to a PS/2 connector?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10471 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:22:16 »
Nope, you need to do a soarer's mod.  RJ45 uses a different protocol.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10472 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:29:54 »
These are some pics of the model M that I am looking at. $32 untested and sold as is. Is it worth?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10473 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:31:32 »
These are some pics of the model M that I am looking at. $32 untested and sold as is. Is it worth?

Show Image

Show Image

I still can't tell 100% what cable that is but it *doesn't* look like the RJ45 connector. If it is Din5, and that price is with shipping, it's not a bad price.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10474 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:33:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

I still can't tell 100% what cable that is but it *doesn't* look like the RJ45 connector. If it is Din5, and that price is with shipping, it's not a bad price.
Now that I look closely, I actually think that it is DIN5. The RJ-45 cable is flatter and the DIN5 cable is rounder.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10475 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:34:42 »
Now that I look closely, I actually think that it is DIN5. The RJ-45 cable is flatter and the DIN5 cable is rounder.

I agree. That's why I said I don't think it's RJ45. But I'm not sure if the terminals came in another connection nor can I 100% confirm it's the DIN5 cable.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10476 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:20:18 »

I agree. That's why I said I don't think it's RJ45. But I'm not sure if the terminals came in another connection nor can I 100% confirm it's the DIN5 cable.
Well, I just bought it. I hope it is a DIN5 connector, but if not I can fix that. It appears to be in good condition, so I think it should work. Hopefully all of the switch mechanisms are in working condition too. What do you think?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10477 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:30:19 »

Well, I just bought it. I hope it is a DIN5 connector, but if not I can fix that. It appears to be in good condition, so I think it should work. Hopefully all of the switch mechanisms are in working condition too. What do you think?

From the pictures, the board looked like it was in good condition. :)

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10478 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:00:14 »
Just to clarify, if I use a DIN5 to PS/2 adapter, will the keys do what they do on a normal keyboard? For example, will the SetUp/Attn key work like ESC, and will the ALT key were control normally is work like a control key?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10479 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:13:05 »
Just to clarify, if I use a DIN5 to PS/2 adapter, will the keys do what they do on a normal keyboard? For example, will the SetUp/Attn key work like ESC, and will the ALT key were control normally is work like a control key?

If it says Alt it will output the Alt keycode. SetUp/Attn should work as Esc.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10480 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:21:03 »

Is there a way to re-map that one alt key (the one where ctrl usually is) to control instead of alt?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10481 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:23:36 »

Is there a way to re-map that one alt key (the one where ctrl usually is) to control instead of alt?

autohotkey would probably do that for you
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10482 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:29:11 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:38:32 by esoomenona »

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10483 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:29:34 »

I will try that.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10484 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:40:28 »
I don't imagine it's actually Alt. The key was probably missing, and he replaced it with something else. Isn't that key usually Send, or something like that, on a terminal M?
The picture in this ebay listing (also for a 1390636) shows the keycap saying 'Reset' (I think), but I can not read the alternate function.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-English-Keyboard-for-3196-Terminal-103-Key-1390636-/370400729457

Does anyone happen to know the key codes for the enter key where rctrl is and the reset key where lctrl is? I want to re-map those keys with soarer's converter eventually so that I can have all the other cool features it adds too.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10485 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:07:09 »

How do I know what the code for the key is since it is a non-standard key?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10486 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:25:54 »

Can't help you there, try ALT first and see if that works.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10487 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:53:06 »

Aqua Key Test returns a code for any key you press, doesn't it?

You may have to look in the small dialog box near the bottom.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10488 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 05:35:06 »
What's the best switch tool for someone without a dedicated switch tool?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Hzza

« Reply #10489 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 05:38:43 »
For mounted switches I use 2 little screwdrivers, for loose switches I find that using a switch top works quite well.

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-open-a-non-mounted-cherry-mx-switch-t2130.html#p40423 -> I took this as inspiriation but I didn't actually make a jig, I just hold the switch in one hand and jimmy it open with the switch top with my other hand.

That whole thread has lots of good ideas on how to open switches actually.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10490 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 06:06:34 »

The OP also has some ideas.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #10491 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 08:27:41 »
anyone knows if there would be any problem with the black color?! Doesn't make much sense as I've done retrobright in classic beige doubleshots and the black lettering remained perfect.

A quick Google search yields this page on the retr0bright website. Scroll down to #4.

that's hair bleach containing Terpene, not just plain and simple liquid H202+oxi used for retrobright... so my doubt maintains :(
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10492 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 08:29:39 »
just curious not weabo :))
what mouse premium japan
yeah like other stuff artisan,topre.etc
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10493 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 09:02:25 »
just curious not weabo :))
what mouse premium japan
yeah like other stuff artisan,topre.etc

Not really keyboard related. Try asking the input sub-forum where you'll get a better response than you would here.

that's hair bleach containing Terpene, not just plain and simple liquid H202+oxi used for retrobright... so my doubt maintains :(

I don't have any retrobright experience personally. If you could experiment yourself on a board or another piece of plastic that isn't valuable to you and report back, that would be wonderful.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10494 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 15:06:54 »

I used a small screwdriver in my recent spring swap.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #10495 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 15:33:37 »
Are there any PBT dyesub keycap replacements for the FC660C?  I know the new FC660C has the nice new dyesubs by default, but I have one of the old pad printed ones.  Can I haz dyesubs?

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10496 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:49:53 »
What is the difference between AT and terminal? If there is a difference, does anyone know if a 1390636 model m is terminal or AT? I have deeply confused myself while researching model M's...
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:51:30 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10497 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:16:51 »
The oldest Model Ms came with a black coiled cable and "AT-style" (aka large DIN) connector on the computer side and a removable SDL connection at the back of the keyboard.

Later incarnations had a removable SDL-to-PS/2 cable, and after about 1993 they went to a permanent PS/2 cable.

Terminals came with a dizzying array of odd connectors that would not plug into the back of a conventional PC. The earliest ones had the large 240 degree DIN plugs, then 180 degree DIN plugs, then "RJ45"-like connectors (actually 6P6C).

The brilliant Soarer made them all work beautifully with a Teensy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:19:02 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10498 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 18:43:03 »
The oldest Model Ms came with a black coiled cable and "AT-style" (aka large DIN) connector on the computer side and a removable SDL connection at the back of the keyboard.

Later incarnations had a removable SDL-to-PS/2 cable, and after about 1993 they went to a permanent PS/2 cable.

Terminals came with a dizzying array of odd connectors that would not plug into the back of a conventional PC. The earliest ones had the large 240 degree DIN plugs, then 180 degree DIN plugs, then "RJ45"-like connectors (actually 6P6C).

So if I understand this correctly, my 1390636 Model M is a terminal board since it does not have a removable black coiled cable or a ps/2 connection. I have heard that the 1390636 is compatible with modern PCs, is this true if it is in fact a terminal board?

This is what it looks like:

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 November 2014, 18:53:52 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10499 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 19:03:56 »

So if I understand this correctly, my 1390636 Model M is a terminal board since it does not have a removable black coiled cable or a ps/2 connection. I have heard that the 1390636 is compatible with modern PCs, is this true if it is in fact a terminal board?

This is what it looks like:

Show Image

Show Image

Yep, that's a terminal. You can also tell because it has no caps/num/scroll lights
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"