Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554695 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11050 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:34:04 »
Was there every one piece buckling springs caps with homing nubs that will match the stock caps on my F XT?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #11051 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:50:49 »
Ive started looking into building my own keyboard but I was confused with which switch type to get between PCB mount and plate mount. Im thinking of getting my parts from GONs and his mx clear switches are PCB mount while Im planning on using a plate.
Can I use a plate using PCB mount switches?
Can I use a plate with PCB mount stabilizers?
Thanks in advance!

It all depends on the PCB if it has the holes for the PCB pins on the switches and if it has the proper holes for the PCB mount stabilizers, the plate would also have to have a proper cut out for the PCB mount stabilizers to fit through.

FYI you can take PCB mount switches and cut the little legs off to make them plate mount but can't go the other way.

Thanks. I never knew the only difference were the legs of the switches, Ill keep that in mind if I get a PCB that doesnt come with mount holes.

Im thinking of getting my parts from GONs and his mx clear switches are PCB mount while Im planning on using a plate.

^^  I will answer this specifically for GON's hardware.  The answers vary based on plate and PCB design, but my answer below are specifically for GON's plates and PCBs.

Can I use a plate using PCB mount switches?

Yes.  PCB mount switches interact with the plate exactly the same as plate mount switches do.  Where they differ is how they interact with the PCB.  PCB mount switches have two tabs on the bottom that fit into the plate to secure it in place (hence why you wouldn't need a plate in that case).  Adding a plate will only increase stability, there will be no compatibility issues (some people prefer the feeling of no plate though, but that's preference).  GON's PCBs do support PCB mount switches, so you will have no issues there.

Can I use a plate with PCB mount stabilizers?

This depends entirely on the design of the plate you're using.  GON designs all his plates to use PCB mount stabilizers (I believe this is a common occurrence in Korean keyboards), so you actually have to use PCB mount stabilizers.  There are no mounting points on the plates for plate mount stabilizers.

Hope this helps.   :thumb:

That helped a TON. Specifically, I was looking into GONs PCB and plate since the general consensus on GH seems to be that his PCB is superior. (Looking into taobao for cases.)
PCB mount switches interacts with GONs plate. GONs PCB support PCB mount switches. GONs plate is for PCB mount stabilizers. PERFECT.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time <3
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11052 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:01:46 »
It sure looks like a 6x spacebar =/

It looks fine to me. But for curiousity's sake, I messaged Ducky on Facebook. I'll let you know what their response is. Alternatively, you could ping 00ZerO or JoshMK and have them check one of their boards in their shop.

It's a 6.25u spacebar. It's hard to tell from that image, but the spacebar starts halfway under the 'X' key, and ends 3/4 into the <, key. So standard ANSI layout.

I have a very strong hunch that the ANSI Ducky Mini is actually just a rebranded Vortex (Poker II), the same as was the case with the ISO Ducky Mini.

OK, yeah looking at my Cherry set, it looks standard. I'm going to order one anyway, see how it goes.

Show Image

Ducky replied to my message on Facebook. As intelli78, jdcarpe, and I suspected, it's 6.25x.

Ask them if it's a rebranded Vortex! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11053 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:03:23 »
That helped a TON. Specifically, I was looking into GONs PCB and plate since the general consensus on GH seems to be that his PCB is superior. (Looking into taobao for cases.)
PCB mount switches interacts with GONs plate. GONs PCB support PCB mount switches. GONs plate is for PCB mount stabilizers. PERFECT.

I don't have much experience with building his boards separate from the cases he offers (PCB + plate + third party case), but just make sure that you're not purchasing a full case and are indeed purchasing a plate.  I only mention this because his cases can look a lot like plates in some instances to unfamiliar eyes, but obviously cannot fit into another housing.

And GON's NerD PCB is really great.   :thumb:   I've got two of them I still need to build up.  :))

And no problem!  That's what this thread is for, after all.  ;)

Offline bowji

« Reply #11054 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:34:11 »

I don't have much experience with building his boards separate from the cases he offers (PCB + plate + third party case), but just make sure that you're not purchasing a full case and are indeed purchasing a plate.  I only mention this because his cases can look a lot like plates in some instances to unfamiliar eyes, but obviously cannot fit into another housing.

And GON's NerD PCB is really great.   :thumb:   I've got two of them I still need to build up.  :))

Any and all pointers are good for me, as it is my first attempt to build a board (or solder...). As of now, Im looking into GONs Nerd 60 + his plate along with this taobao case.

Are the 3 compatible? Im also considering the wireless option IF it fits, any idea if it does fit in the taobao case?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11055 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 12:31:24 »
It sure looks like a 6x spacebar =/

It looks fine to me. But for curiousity's sake, I messaged Ducky on Facebook. I'll let you know what their response is. Alternatively, you could ping 00ZerO or JoshMK and have them check one of their boards in their shop.

It's a 6.25u spacebar. It's hard to tell from that image, but the spacebar starts halfway under the 'X' key, and ends 3/4 into the <, key. So standard ANSI layout.

I have a very strong hunch that the ANSI Ducky Mini is actually just a rebranded Vortex (Poker II), the same as was the case with the ISO Ducky Mini.

OK, yeah looking at my Cherry set, it looks standard. I'm going to order one anyway, see how it goes.

Show Image

Ducky replied to my message on Facebook. As intelli78, jdcarpe, and I suspected, it's 6.25x.

Oh Captain, my captain. <3 thank you so much
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11056 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 19:32:30 »

Any and all pointers are good for me, as it is my first attempt to build a board (or solder...). As of now, Im looking into GONs Nerd 60 + his plate along with this taobao case.

Are the 3 compatible? Im also considering the wireless option IF it fits, any idea if it does fit in the taobao case?
Should all fit but the wireless might be blocked. If you want to do wireless might want to get the case from GON to guarantee compatibility and signal.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11057 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 10:06:03 »
Has anyone done a detachable cable mod on a Realforce 23U number pad?

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #11058 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 10:06:50 »
What keyboard would this: http://puu.sh/ekxiL/c7b76b2c12.jpg be?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11059 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 10:43:40 »

I'm not good with my BS boards but i think this is a IBM Model F 122 key
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11060 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:35:47 »
I think those are rubberdome kind
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline bowji

« Reply #11061 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:39:49 »

Should all fit but the wireless might be blocked. If you want to do wireless might want to get the case from GON to guarantee compatibility and signal.

I guess the wireless option is out for me since I opted for a "budget" case, and the taobao one seemed to be the best bet. I will be looking into the wired option and other options for more possible choices before I make any purchases. After all I do need to find a way to practice soldering on something...
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the response  ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #11062 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:40:05 »
I think those are rubberdome kind
Yes, it's definitely a rubberdome.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11063 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 12:03:41 »
Has anyone done a detachable cable mod on a Realforce 23U number pad?
If the numpad cable isn't different from the keyboard cable :
http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/realforce-cables
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11064 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:25:34 »
Phantom PCB and winkey plate will support off-center-stemmed 6.25 Cherry-style spacebar, right?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11065 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:33:16 »
Phantom PCB and winkey plate will support off-center-stemmed 6.25 Cherry-style spacebar, right?
Looks like it will support it, yes.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11066 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:35:02 »
Yea, PCB does, I guess my question should have been if anyone has ever made a plate with that cutout?

Edit: and own question is answered, yes
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:37:17 by intelli78 »

Offline asgeirtj

Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11068 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:32:38 »

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #11069 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:34:42 »
Is this https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_grn_alt the same green color as https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54442.0 ?
No, the GB ones are a slight darker green, while the EK ones are lime green

Damn, guess I'll wait for originative's store to open again for his rgb
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11070 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:35:55 »
Is this https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_grn_alt the same green color as https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54442.0 ?
No, the GB ones are a slight darker green, while the EK ones are lime green

Damn, guess I'll wait for originative's store to open again for his rgb
originative is known for being less than reputable. Your best bet is to find it elsewhere

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #11071 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 03:38:48 »
I'm sure this is asked relatively often but I can't seem to find the answer, so I'll just ask it here:

How many missing plastic rivets is too many missing plastic rivets for a Model M? I would have sworn that my '86 silver logo one was at most very rarely used over the years given the condition it's in, but I finally got the right nut driver in the mail today (6 weeks for shipping?? Amazon sucks in Canada) and opened the thing up. Only one rivet is totally cleaved off but at least one other is basically hanging by a thread and a few others are looking a bit on the weather. It still works just fine, but I can't help but worry about whether I sould be doing something about this sooner rather than later.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11072 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 07:44:56 »
I'm sure this is asked relatively often but I can't seem to find the answer, so I'll just ask it here:

How many missing plastic rivets is too many missing plastic rivets for a Model M? I would have sworn that my '86 silver logo one was at most very rarely used over the years given the condition it's in, but I finally got the right nut driver in the mail today (6 weeks for shipping?? Amazon sucks in Canada) and opened the thing up. Only one rivet is totally cleaved off but at least one other is basically hanging by a thread and a few others are looking a bit on the weather. It still works just fine, but I can't help but worry about whether I sould be doing something about this sooner rather than later.

A single broken rivet in isolation will not make much difference. A cluster of them in an area will make a soft spot.

My most recent Model M had a number of rivets that looked attached but popped off instantly when I touched them. Run your fingernail under them to see whether they are actually solid in place.

Sometimes they just let go due to age or fatigue, and sometimes a sharp impact will break a number of them loose.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11073 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:53:59 »
Anyone know where this aluminum case comes from?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11074 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:57:28 »
Anyone know where this aluminum case comes from?

Show Image

Leopold in Korea. That's a TypeNow Solid.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11075 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:01:54 »

Nice, Thank you :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11076 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:03:01 »

Nice, Thank you :thumb:

If that pic is one from DanGWanG, I currently own that keyboard.

in memoriam

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11077 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:11:46 »
That's dope. It's a nice case.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11078 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 07:57:27 »
How much did Dolch cost from Originative [not the lower GB price]? I would check on their site, but it's pw protected.

1. Full set of 104 caps + tsangan keys
2. The 'extra' kit
github

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11079 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 07:59:37 »
How much did Dolch cost from Originative [not the lower GB price]? I would check on their site, but it's pw protected.

2. The 'extra' kit

1. base set $85 + numpad $17 + tsangan $25 = $127

2. I forget
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11080 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:03:00 »

2. The 'extra' kit

Can't find the exact breakdown you want but I did find these posts.

Whatever the full and extension sets are, it looks like they went for around $200 shipped.

The TKL set looks like it went for $95.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11081 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:04:31 »

2. The 'extra' kit
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626163723/http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/dolch
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11082 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:06:17 »

2. The 'extra' kit
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626163723/http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/dolch

Damn, I was close.

Only $27 off.

I didn't remember the 87 being so expensive.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11083 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:13:27 »

2. The 'extra' kit

Nice find. :thumb:

For the lazy

Quote from: originativedon'tbuyfromuswearetooscammypricebreakdown
Base 87-key $105, Numberpad $25, Winkeyless Mods $25, Extension Kit $48, 1.75 Shift $4.50

A classic style with dark and medium grey looking colors.  These keycaps were available on an old Cherry G80-1813 keyboard, and they are one of the many reasons why these boards have became so sought after.

Dark and Light Grey with White Legends
    Original Cherry Corp double-shot molding, thick and durable
    Keycaps fit on most modern mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches
    Made in Germany

Base kit

Contains 87 keys to fit a US ANSI tenkeyless board.  (Ex: Filco tenkeyless, CM Storm QFR)
    BBCDEE Profile

Numberpad

The numberpad set will fit on most numberpads.
    This set DOES NOT HAVE 1x width '0' and '00' key, only a 2x width '0' key.

Winkeyless

The kit is made for traditional keyboards.  It will fit on 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 keyboards.
    Includes a stepped caps lock

Extension

The kit includes many textless modifiers.
    Includes 3 ISO keys, 3 Window keys, and 1x bottom row (B Profile) keys for older keyboards such as the G80-1800.

Note:  The winkeyless does not include 1x Win Winkey

And in case anyone is interested the original Dolch originative group buy was $95 (this varied from ~$85-$95 depending on how early you joined up) for 104 plus winkeyless plus $37 for the extension plus shipping.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:15:21 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11084 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:17:38 »
Thanks guys!
github

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #11085 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:12:26 »
Any way to remap my Model M without using programs that run in the background?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11086 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:15:35 »

Use a soarer converter?

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #11087 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:17:53 »

Use a soarer converter?
Thanks!

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #11088 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 22:04:04 »
This is probably a dumb question but what product in particular do people use when they put "dental bands" on their Topre keyboards? There are a fair few products under that broad name.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11089 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 03:42:41 »
my friend's had a Steelseries board with blacks for three years (two if going by extensive usage). if i harvest the switches from this board and lube them, approximately how close will they get to replicating the feel of vintage blacks?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11090 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 04:39:18 »
This is probably a dumb question but what product in particular do people use when they put "dental bands" on their Topre keyboards? There are a fair few products under that broad name.

Don't think the brand matters. Think you just need orthodontic rubber bands in a certain diameter. The thread below has some nice info :

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0

my friend's had a Steelseries board with blacks for three years (two if going by extensive usage). if i harvest the switches from this board and lube them, approximately how close will they get to replicating the feel of vintage blacks?

It's really hard for me to guess unless I physically tried then myself. Honestly I've never had a batch of vintage blacks that felt differnt from normal blacks. From my experience, lubing the keys would help more than anything else. You're welcome to try the swap and let us know what you think.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11091 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:11:19 »
Are rectangular 2x3x4mm led's still the go-to led size for switches?

Which size SIP sockets do I get for rectangular 2x3x4mm led's and where to buy? Are they a pain in the ass to install? Am I better off just soldering the LEDs?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11092 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:27:53 »
1. Are rectangular 2x3x4mm led's still the go-to led size for switches?
2. Which size SIP sockets do I get for rectangular 2x3x4mm led's and where to buy?
3. Are they a pain in the ass to install?
4. Am I better off just soldering the LEDs?

1. Rectangular 2x3x4mm LEDs are still the go-to size, since they fit into the switch cover better and are less likely to hit thicker keycaps.
2. You'll want "standard" diameter holes in the SIP sockets (the part the LED leads will fit into).  I would use nuclearsandwich's recent GB as a reference and get the SIP sockets he bought (or at least the same dimensions).  And FYI, the LED size won't impact what SIP sockets you need unless you have such a large LED that the leads are bigger.
3. You will need to remove the switch top, insert them in, and solder them to the pads on the PCB.  The extra work over regular LED installation is opening the switch and inserting the sockets (they can be finicky).  This means that if you have a plate that doesn't allow switch opening, it will be a lot more work, because you will end up desoldering all the switches.  If you don't need to do that, the added difficulty is just opening the switches which is tedious but not too bad.
4. Only you can answer that.  ;)  If you know you'll be swapping LEDs every couple months, SIP sockets can be worth it.  If you have no intentions to swap LEDs, it might not be.  It will also depend on whether you have an easy way to desolder the LEDs or not.  You'll have to decide this for yourself.

Also, check out this thread on SIP sockets for more info.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11093 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:29:35 »
1. Are rectangular 2x3x4mm led's still the go-to led size for switches?
2. Which size SIP sockets do I get for rectangular 2x3x4mm led's and where to buy?

1. Rectangular 2x3x4mm LEDs are still the go-to size, since they fit into the switch cover better and are less likely to hit thicker keycaps.
2. You'll want "standard" diameter holes in the SIP sockets (the part the LED leads will fit into).  I would use nuclearsandwich's recent GB as a reference and get the SIP sockets he bought (or at least the same dimensions).  And FYI, the LED size won't impact what SIP sockets you need unless you have such a large LED that the leads are bigger.
3. You will need to remove the switch top, insert them in, and solder them to the pads on the PCB.  The extra work over regular LED installation is opening the switch and inserting the sockets (they can be finicky).  This means that if you have a plate that doesn't allow switch opening, it will be a lot more work, because you will end up desoldering all the switches.  If you don't need to do that, the added difficulty is just opening the switches which is tedious but not too bad.
4. Only you can answer that.  ;)  If you know you'll be swapping LEDs every couple months, SIP sockets can be worth it.  If you have no intentions to swap LEDs, it might not be.  It will also depend on whether you have an easy way to desolder the LEDs or not.  You'll have to decide this for yourself.

Also, check out this thread on SIP sockets for more info.

rock on Hoff! thanks brehbreh =)

EDIT - Just to confirm, do these Mil-Max sip sockets have issues with not allowing the switch top to close all the way?http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/311-43-164-41-001000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tjJZclYmfaNPJ3I9Z5RDf1I%3d
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:45:10 by digi »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11094 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:00:19 »
Just to confirm, do these Mil-Max sip sockets have issues with not allowing the switch top to close all the way?http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/311-43-164-41-001000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tjJZclYmfaNPJ3I9Z5RDf1I%3d

I haven't used those exact SIP sockets, but in my experience you only have issues closing the switch top if you don't cut the black surrounding off of the socket.  You can see the black plastic holding them together in the thread I linked before.  If you snip that off with some cutters so you have loose metal sockets (no plastic), you shouldn't have any issues.   :thumb:   AFAIK, the differences between SIP sockets have to do with the length of the leads on the sockets.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11095 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:01:31 »

3. Yes
4. Yes

I won't even mess with SIP sockets.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11096 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:06:47 »

3. Yes
4. Yes

I won't even mess with SIP sockets.

:))   

For the record, I share JD's sentiments. 

If you're already taking a switch apart to lube it, adding SIP sockets isn't that much more work, so I might do it.
If you're already taking a switch apart to swap springs, adding SIP sockets isn't that much more work, so I might do it.
If you're already taking a switch apart to sticker it, STOP.

:thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11097 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:09:57 »
Do I need thick or extra thick lube for sliders on used MX clears?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #11098 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:37:10 »
Do I need thick or extra thick lube for sliders on used MX clears?

+1    I have also been wondering which one to use for sliders.  I was thinking it would be the "thin" formula.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11099 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:30:18 »
What weight is best for ergo clears?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin