Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553829 times)

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11350 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 22:59:02 »
Hi! Posting for a friend who asked me this question and I didn't know the answer despite googling.

What are these two keys beside the spacebar? The keys with the looping icon. He bought this Century Black Pawn while visiting in Japan.

http://www.century.co.jp/products/pc/img/ck-67cmb_08_big.gif

The functions of those keys are depend on the keyboard, different keyboard have different function even though they are all jis layout.  In the jis layout keyboard that I have used in the past, the left one is used to input Hiragana, and the right one is used to transfer Hiragana into Kanji.  And they have no function while inputting English.  But the function really depends on the keyboard.
Thank you for explaining :)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11351 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 00:00:48 »
Thanks CBA, worked like a champ, though a couple of the keys that are stabilized via inserts still feel a touch tight.  Is it safe to lube those?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11352 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:08:05 »
Thanks CBA, worked like a champ, though a couple of the keys that are stabilized via inserts still feel a touch tight.  Is it safe to lube those?

I'm not sure. On one hand, if people are grease modding their boards with no issue, I don't see what could hurt. On the other? I'd worry if you used Krytox, it would get into the PCB. Why don't you try it and find out?

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #11353 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:27:51 »
Will Ducky release a TKL version of the Ducky 4?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11354 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:29:56 »

That's a good question actually. I've heard nothing about a TKL version but I will ask them.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #11355 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:59:14 »
Gracias

If they release one this year that's available in NA

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11356 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:19:56 »
Ducky peaked with the Shine 3.

Not a question. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #11357 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:17:36 »
Why does everyone seem to hate the Shine 4 so much?
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11358 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:25:50 »
Why does everyone seem to hate the Shine 4 so much?

That weird case.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #11359 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:50:14 »
Removed by user.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:55:04 by Lain1911 »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11360 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:52:19 »
Anyone know of a place (or person) that fixes broken subwoofers. Such as 10-15" for a stereo system. Probably 15+ years old?

i think this thread is on topic discussion only - try posting in off topic or other geeky stuff.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #11361 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:11:08 »
Is HHKB lighter than a 60% with acrylic plate and case?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11362 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:17:53 »

My GH60 Rev B PCB with switches installed and the acrylic case I have weighs 455g. An HHKB weighs 520g.. Of course, YMMV depending on the case.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #11363 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:29:58 »

My GH60 Rev B PCB with switches installed and the acrylic case I have weighs 455g. An HHKB weighs 520g.. Of course, YMMV depending on the case.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11364 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:18:16 »
A friend asked me about a Memorex mx 1998, anyone know anything about it? A quick google brings up nothing. The board is white, has a metal plate on the back and looks like a membrane board.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11365 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:20:26 »
A friend asked me about a Memorex mx 1998, anyone know anything about it? A quick google brings up nothing. The board is white, has a metal plate on the back and looks like a membrane board.

Could be a Memorex Telex keyboard with NMB Hi-Tek Space Invaders?

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Memorex_Telex_NMB_Hi-Tek

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11366 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:22:27 »

Could be a Memorex Telex keyboard with NMB Hi-Tek Space Invaders?

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Memorex_Telex_NMB_Hi-Tek

Thanks. I'll have the board in my hands in a few weeks so I'll know for sure then.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11367 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 07:20:25 »
I'm going to buy a Topre board. I like Greens and Clears a lot. Should I go 55g or 45g?

I'm thinking Realforce rather than HHKB because the layout of the HHKB doesn't do anything for me/isn't useful enough to be worth moving to it.

What are the big differences between 45 and 55?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11368 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:12:48 »
I'm going to buy a Topre board. I like Greens and Clears a lot. Should I go 55g or 45g?

I'm thinking Realforce rather than HHKB because the layout of the HHKB doesn't do anything for me/isn't useful enough to be worth moving to it.

To me 55g is obviously heavier (but you can't compare heavy cherry to topre they are just different) and slightly more tactile.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11369 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:31:00 »

To me 55g is obviously heavier (but you can't compare heavy cherry to topre they are just different) and slightly more tactile.

OK, well I do love my tactile switches. Only thing is that the only 55g I can find are variable full size or ANSI TKL :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11370 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:33:59 »

OK, well I do love my tactile switches. Only thing is that the only 55g I can find are variable full size or ANSI TKL :(
That's all that's currently available without buying multiple boards and swapping domes.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11371 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:38:11 »
That's all that's currently available without buying multiple boards and swapping domes.

I see. What is up with the variable domes then? What's the weights? Is it just 45g on the mods and 55 on alphas?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11372 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:41:01 »

I see. What is up with the variable domes then? What's the weights? Is it just 45g on the mods and 55 on alphas?
I think the only 55g key in variable boards is escape. If you look on elitekeyboards website they have a key map I believe.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11373 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:45:55 »

I think the only 55g key in variable boards is escape. If you look on elitekeyboards website they have a key map I believe.

Ah. OK. Looks like I'm getting a 55g TKL than. Thanks.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11374 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 21:27:39 »
Where can I get a geekhack sticker for my keyboard/when are the [Ctrl]Alt stickers back
pls I want to be e-thug
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 February 2015, 21:30:52 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11375 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:12:26 »
1) Where can I get a geekhack sticker for my keyboard
2) when are the [Ctrl]Alt stickers back

1) I haven't seen them in a long time. PM Shadovved. He might have some left. He made them.
2) PM BunnyLake and ask?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11376 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 03:48:54 »

Looks like SpAmRaY has provided some information, so I'll just briefly note that MX reds and browns are 45g, so is 45g Topre, but the 45g Topre feels a little stiffer due to the different force curve (more resistance at the start of the downward stroke).

Having said that, they are nothing like blacks or greens, so I would say 55g Topre would be the one for you.

Also HHKB is only available in 45g - if you did get one of those you would have to modify it to 55g, which would require a donor RealForce or similar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11377 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 05:50:19 »
Looks like SpAmRaY has provided some information, so I'll just briefly note that MX reds and browns are 45g, so is 45g Topre, but the 45g Topre feels a little stiffer due to the different force curve (more resistance at the start of the downward stroke).

Having said that, they are nothing like blacks or greens, so I would say 55g Topre would be the one for you.

Also HHKB is only available in 45g - if you did get one of those you would have to modify it to 55g, which would require a donor RealForce or similar.

Ahhhhh, that's cool. I don't think I would go through that trouble to do that. I don't mind getting an ANSI layout, but I would have loved to get a full size 55g.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11378 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 11:24:52 »

1) I haven't seen them in a long time. PM Shadovved. He might have some left. He made them.
2) PM BunnyLake and ask?
ok done
Hopefully I can ethug soon :(
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11379 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:41:31 »

2) PM BunnyLake and ask?
ok done

I think you can also check Feng's eBay store.  He has some sticker, but I don't remember they are the Cherry one or the geekhack one.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11380 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:08:32 »

2) PM BunnyLake and ask?
ok done

I think you can also check Feng's eBay store.  He has some sticker, but I don't remember they are the Cherry one or the geekhack one.
He does Cherry but no GH.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11381 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 21:02:13 »

Ducky replied to me (I contacted them on their Facebook page). It's not in their current plans to do a TKL version. They said it might be available in the future.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11382 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 21:03:39 »

Ducky replied to me (I contacted them on their Facebook page). It's not in their current plans to do a TKL version. They said it might be available in the future.
seems odd, It'd be a great seller, you'd think that would be up there in priority
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #11383 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 02:40:29 »
Thanks for asking.  That's a very disappointing answer.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11384 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:27:10 »
Just curious, why most people use 62g black instead of 62g red when they want 62g linear switch? 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11385 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:33:23 »
Just curious, why most people use 62g black instead of 62g red when they want 62g linear switch?

Blacks seem to be very easy to get a hold of. I've bought at least 3 Cherry boards with Blacks in them for very cheap. Reds came about more recently so it's a bit harder to get them in a used or loose form.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11386 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:36:35 »

Blacks seem to be very easy to get a hold of. I've bought at least 3 Cherry boards with Blacks in them for very cheap. Reds came about more recently so it's a bit harder to get them in a used or loose form.

Especially when you are looking at vintage boards that don't work with plug adapters and can buy a board with 101 switches for $3.  And almost all of those older boards are equipped with blacks.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Tetriswizard

« Reply #11387 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 00:50:02 »
Where can I get a dwg for a replacement plate for my Poker II that has switch top removal compatibility?
Would dyeing white stems purple be viable?

Check my mixtape, fam.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #11388 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 06:07:12 »
Hi,

If i want to put 2 teensy in my keyboard (one to deal only with the firmware, the other to deal with a LCD, serial read to display time...) Do each teensy needs a separate cable connected to a different USB port or is there a magic voodoo way to have only one cable that goes inside the case and have the 2 teensy connected to the computer?
Sharing the knowledge

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11389 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 06:43:59 »
1.  Where can I get a dwg for a replacement plate for my Poker II that has switch top removal compatibility?

2.Would dyeing white stems purple be viable?

1.  You could try asking in Making Stuff Together section.  There are a couple people that help with that quite frequently.

2.  There has been debate on that.  The general consensus is that due to the type of plastic used for stems, they won't take dye very well.

Hi,

If i want to put 2 teensy in my keyboard (one to deal only with the firmware, the other to deal with a LCD, serial read to display time...) Do each teensy needs a separate cable connected to a different USB port or is there a magic voodoo way to have only one cable that goes inside the case and have the 2 teensy connected to the computer?

The only way I can think of would be to also hide a tiny 2 port usb hub inside the keyboard, one port for each teensy.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #11390 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 07:24:52 »
Thank you Melvang.
Sharing the knowledge

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #11391 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 07:43:13 »
Because you can get old blacks and you can only get new reds, which are horrible and scratchy. Also black's a more neutral colour and usually looks nicer on customs, etc.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #11392 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:54:05 »
I'm thinking about getting a Kitten Paw for my MJ2, any opinions on which of the frameworks listed on the DT Wiki is the best? Looks like TMK or Easy AVR, to me.

However, I do have a question or two about BathroomEpiphanies controller (located here: https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard). Basically, what does PWM control for LEDs mean? What advantage does timer interrupt matrix scans give me? Do most custom firmwares provide this?

Finally, is this controller swap a relatively easy project (say, first solder job level easy)?
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11393 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:56:16 »
I'm thinking about getting a Kitten Paw for my MJ2, any opinions on which of the frameworks listed on the DT Wiki is the best? Looks like TMK or Easy AVR, to me.

However, I do have a question or two about BathroomEpiphanies controller (located here: https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard). Basically, what does PWM control for LEDs mean? What advantage does timer interrupt matrix scans give me? Do most custom firmwares provide this?

Finally, is this controller swap a relatively easy project (say, first solder job level easy)?

I can only speak to the last question, there is no soldering involved the controller is socket mounted so you just remove the old one and install the new one, assuming the new controller board itself is already soldered which I believe they typically are.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11394 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:59:05 »
1) I'm thinking about getting a Kitten Paw for my MJ2, any opinions on which of the frameworks listed on the DT Wiki is the best? Looks like TMK or Easy AVR, to me.

2) However, I do have a question or two about BathroomEpiphanies controller (located here: https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard). Basically, what does PWM control for LEDs mean? What advantage does timer interrupt matrix scans give me? Do most custom firmwares provide this?

3) Finally, is this controller swap a relatively easy project (say, first solder job level easy)?

1) I like EasyAVR. I'm terrible with programming and coding. EasyAVR is....easy, just as advertised :).

2) I don't know. I would guess it's to control brightness but I honestly have no idea.

3) Like ray said, it's easy. No soldering. You just pop the old daughterboard off and pop this one in.

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #11395 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:59:17 »

I can only speak to the last question, there is no soldering involved the controller is socket mounted so you just remove the old one and install the new one, assuming the new controller board itself is already soldered which I believe they typically are.

Awesome! If this is the case, I'll probably order one tonight instead of waiting for an iron to get here. Thanks Spam!
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #11396 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 09:01:43 »
1) I'm thinking about getting a Kitten Paw for my MJ2, any opinions on which of the frameworks listed on the DT Wiki is the best? Looks like TMK or Easy AVR, to me.

2) However, I do have a question or two about BathroomEpiphanies controller (located here: https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/costar_keyboard). Basically, what does PWM control for LEDs mean? What advantage does timer interrupt matrix scans give me? Do most custom firmwares provide this?

3) Finally, is this controller swap a relatively easy project (say, first solder job level easy)?

1) I like EasyAVR. I'm terrible with programming and coding. EasyAVR is....easy, just as advertised :).

2) I don't know. I would guess it's to control brightness but I honestly have no idea.

3) Like ray said, it's easy. No soldering. You just pop the old daughterboard off and pop this one in.

Beautiful! Thanks CPT! I'll try EasyAVR first, but I code about 10 hours a day, so getting my hands messy with programming doesn't scare me (though it's been about 5 years since I've cranked out a line of C).

It looks like flashing the controller should be easy enough, but I'll pop my head back in if I have problems. Thanks Spam + CPT :).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #11397 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 13:54:17 »
Stupid question, but I just want a quick clarification on this.

Are these Matias switches are 100% consistent with Alps in terms of plate cutout and such?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=480

If my plate building tool supports these switches, it will support all Alps switches?  Thx...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #11398 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 13:57:10 »

Are these Matias switches are 100% consistent with Alps in terms of plate cutout and such?

If my plate building tool supports these switches, it will support all Alps switches?  Thx...

I see they also have these: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=269

Should I be getting them instead for testing Alps compatibility?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11399 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 14:04:12 »

I see they also have these: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=269

Should I be getting them instead for testing Alps compatibility?

They'll be fine. You don't need to pick up the Matias or those Green XM switches to test them.