Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555357 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12650 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:52:32 »
Question: is this curve (the bump) the same with Clears, Blues and Greys?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12651 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:58:33 »
Question: (Attachment Link) is this curve (the bump) the same with Clears, Blues and Greys?
I think the bump is the same between tactile and clicky switches, the difference is just in the white slider in clicky switches I'm stupid, look below
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:02:20 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12652 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:59:20 »
Question: (Attachment Link) is this curve (the bump) the same with Clears, Blues and Greys?

Clears and tactile greys are the same. Blues have a notably smaller bump. Linear greys won't have a bump at all. Clicky greys are likely to be the same as blues, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12653 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:01:49 »

Clears and tactile greys are the same. Blues have a notably smaller bump. Linear greys won't have a bump at all. Clicky greys are likely to be the same as blues, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Aha, whelp at least I was corrected quickly :p

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12654 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:05:16 »
@user 18 Alright! Thanks for clarification. As I understand it, that means there are practically 3 different bumps with Cherry: brown (slight bump), blue (stronger bump), clears/grey (strongest bump).
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:06:48 by Eszett »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12655 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:05:51 »

I didn't know without physically getting switches out and checking. The blue bump was a lot smaller than I expected it to be.

I wonder what blues would feel like if they had a larger bump?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12656 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:07:48 »

I didn't know without physically getting switches out and checking. The blue bump was a lot smaller than I expected it to be.

Probably the same as greens with Cherry "light" springs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12657 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:15:18 »

I thought that blues and greens had the same size tactile bump?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12658 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:25:10 »
I want to find a clicky Gray at some point. I have every Cherry MX switch I know of other than the ultra rare ones like MX Yellow, MX Orange, etc. Even have MX Lock.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12659 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:31:44 »

I thought that blues and greens had the same size tactile bump?

Pretty sure they do. Don't have any greens in front of me to compare though.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12660 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:39:22 »
I just opened up a green and a blue and the stems look exactly the same other than color.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12661 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 21:48:05 »
Are the 3-prong LEDs on WEYs dual-color? If not why three prongs?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12662 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 22:21:19 »

They could also be 3 color.  I have seen some tri color LEDs that change between two by changing the polarity, and the get the third by using AC.  It just each side at 30 hz and you just get a blend.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12663 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 22:31:35 »

They could also be 3 color.  I have seen some tri color LEDs that change between two by changing the polarity, and the get the third by using AC.  It just each side at 30 hz and you just get a blend.

What? Why? Sounds like someone just trying to be too clever.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12664 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 23:33:16 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:26:12 by alienman82 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12665 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 23:38:12 »
any way to buy a kmac housing today?  I saw that gon sells a plate and pcb
classifieds is really gonna be the quickest way. kbdmod is sometimes in stock but I think they only do full boards

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12666 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 23:38:56 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:26:08 by alienman82 »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12667 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 20:42:39 »
What are some part numbers for F Unsaver?

About how often do they come up for sale on eBay/classifieds?

Who had that detailed build log of the caseless F 122 or Unsaver?  It still had the bottom tray, but the rest was omitted, and the plate even got chopped a bit iirc.

I know there is the price check thread, but what do they usually sell for?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12668 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 20:52:48 »
1) What are some part numbers for F Unsaver?

2) About how often do they come up for sale on eBay/classifieds?

3) Who had that detailed build log of the caseless F 122 or Unsaver?  It still had the bottom tray, but the rest was omitted, and the plate even got chopped a bit iirc.

4) I know there is the price check thread, but what do they usually sell for?

1) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48916.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64100.0

Those threads look helpful

2) They're pretty rare. I don't know about eBay but I remember The_Beast spending ages to find one

3) Fohat.digs

4) Ask there, this isn't the price check thread. I've explained the reasoning for this in the past and it's in the OP.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12669 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 21:06:05 »
1) What are some part numbers for F Unsaver?

2) About how often do they come up for sale on eBay/classifieds?

3) Who had that detailed build log of the caseless F 122 or Unsaver?  It still had the bottom tray, but the rest was omitted, and the plate even got chopped a bit iirc.

4) I know there is the price check thread, but what do they usually sell for?

1) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48916.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64100.0

Those threads look helpful

2) They're pretty rare. I don't know about eBay but I remember The_Beast spending ages to find one

3) Fohat.digs

4) Ask there, this isn't the price check thread. I've explained the reasoning for this in the past and it's in the OP.

Thanks for the quick reply cpt.  Sorry about the last question was on mobile and got lazy.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12670 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:32:30 »
What profile of keycap is topre closest to? I'm curious how the profile will feel compared to cherry, as that's what I'm going to put on it as soon as I can.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12671 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:55:18 »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #12672 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 15:19:04 »
can anyone help identify this keypad:

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #12673 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 20:33:20 »
can anyone help identify this keypad:

Show Image

This pic belongs to Bunny. You should pm him to ask  :)

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12674 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:04:48 »
What advantage do I have with using enabler PCBs compared to handwiring everything without a PCB?
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:07:57 by Eszett »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12675 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 19:58:43 »
What advantage do I have with using enabler PCBs compared to handwiring everything without a PCB?

You can make any layout you want...literally any layout that keycaps will let you. And it's slightly easier than handwiring.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12676 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 02:42:01 »
Thank you, Captain. But as far as I understand it  I need a plate anyways, in both cases, with enablers, or without enablers (ie. just handwiring). So I can simply spare the enablers, and handwire the switches on the plate, without PCB and without enablers, right? So what's the advantage of the enablers?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #12677 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 05:41:22 »
I noticed when building my octagon that the pcb supported doing a 2,75x right shift layout, but it seems to me that the plate doesn't support this, am I right?

Here is a pic http://www.kbd4u.com/web/product/extra/big/kbd4u_48_2.jpg
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12678 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 05:58:43 »
The plate cutout for right shift seems to be 2u. So answer is probably: no way ..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12679 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 08:40:22 »
Thank you, Captain. But as far as I understand it  I need a plate anyways, in both cases, with enablers, or without enablers (ie. just handwiring). So I can simply spare the enablers, and handwire the switches on the plate, without PCB and without enablers, right? So what's the advantage of the enablers?

Exactly what I said before. I plan on building a case out of Legos with my Enablers and just super gluing it to the legos. It's just a tool to give you flexibility in building a keyboard. If you don't think it'll work for your project, that's fine.

I noticed when building my octagon that the pcb supported doing a 2,75x right shift layout, but it seems to me that the plate doesn't support this, am I right?

Here is a pic http://www.kbd4u.com/web/product/extra/big/kbd4u_48_2.jpg

If that's the only plate you have then no, it won't support a 2.75 right shift.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #12680 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 15:19:10 »
What's a good plate for TEX 60% case?
How about the IMSTO plate?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12681 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 15:53:06 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:25:31 by alienman82 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12682 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:35:45 »
what is the typing angle of the hhkb without the use of its feet?

8 degrees give or take a bit.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12683 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:49:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:25:28 by alienman82 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12684 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:54:29 »

If I find the hhkb to be the perfect angle, would 11 degrees be drastically different?  I'm thinking of getting an mx board with that angle.
I've used several duck boards and the Lightsaver was my daily for a few weeks. The angle was weird for a little but I got used to it and didn't notice it after a week.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12685 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:56:32 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:25:25 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12686 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 17:03:37 »

Whatever you can get your hands on is a good plate. 60% plates are kinda hard to come by. You could also use swill's tool and order one from Big Blue Saw.

If I find the hhkb to be the perfect angle, would 11 degrees be drastically different?  I'm thinking of getting an mx board with that angle.

11 deg is too steep for my tastes. I definitely notice it and it's not my favorite. Doesn't make the board unusable to me though.

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #12687 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 01:04:49 »
I have a few questions about the Pok3r that I need clarification on.

1. Are all the programmable layers toggles? Like if I wanted to activate the "Fn + <" layer, would I have to keep those keys held down to activate my programmed keys?

2. And if I'm in that same layer, if I don't have anything programmed to a key like the Q key, would pressing it do nothing?

3. Also, within a programmable layer, can I program a double key press? Like can I have Fn+W be "Volume Up" within the programmable layer, "Fn + <." Another example is how the default layer has Fn+I/J/K/L bounded to the arrow keys in the default layer. Is this also possible in each programmable layer?

4. If that's the case, do I technically have 6 programmable layers, since every key can have an alternate "Fn+Key" within each programmable layer?

5. Whats the limit to the Pok3r's programmability? I have seen the Poker II vs Fully Programmable video that was posted on Reddit earlier, but it seemed like the only function was that you can have text macros saved within the key. Is this all the Pok3r can do as well except with a 32 character limit?

6. If not, is the only thing differentiating a "Fully Programmable" keyboard and the Pok3r, the 3/4 layer limit on the Pok3r compared to unlimited layers on the "Fully Programmable" keyboard?

Like many others I am debating between the KC60 and the Pok3r, and the answers to these questions will heavily influence my decision, so any help is appreciated!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12688 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 01:55:35 »

If it does turn out to be too steep, you can always get some thicker rubber feet and stick them underneath the front edge of the case to raise the front up a little bit, and thus reduce and angle.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lunr

« Reply #12689 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:11:29 »
will those tex 80% tkl cases fit the kbparadise v80 keyboards?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12690 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:16:57 »
I have a few questions about the Pok3r that I need clarification on.

1. Are all the programmable layers toggles? Like if I wanted to activate the "Fn + <" layer, would I have to keep those keys held down to activate my programmed keys?

2. And if I'm in that same layer, if I don't have anything programmed to a key like the Q key, would pressing it do nothing?

3. Also, within a programmable layer, can I program a double key press? Like can I have Fn+W be "Volume Up" within the programmable layer, "Fn + <." Another example is how the default layer has Fn+I/J/K/L bounded to the arrow keys in the default layer. Is this also possible in each programmable layer?

4. If that's the case, do I technically have 6 programmable layers, since every key can have an alternate "Fn+Key" within each programmable layer?

5. Whats the limit to the Pok3r's programmability? I have seen the Poker II vs Fully Programmable video that was posted on Reddit earlier, but it seemed like the only function was that you can have text macros saved within the key. Is this all the Pok3r can do as well except with a 32 character limit?

6. If not, is the only thing differentiating a "Fully Programmable" keyboard and the Pok3r, the 3/4 layer limit on the Pok3r compared to unlimited layers on the "Fully Programmable" keyboard?

Like many others I am debating between the KC60 and the Pok3r, and the answers to these questions will heavily influence my decision, so any help is appreciated!

I honestly don't know that much about the Pok3r but I found some links that might be helpful:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ho1rdXm1bDbWt5LUxxUVRMY1E/view - User Manual
https://rhinofeed.com/vortex-pok3r-review/
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard
https://www.keychatter.com/2015/01/30/the-vortex-poker-iii-pok3r-vs-the-poker-ii-what-we-know-so-far/

I'm not sure. The V80 I have in hand isn't mine to take apart. If the USB port isn't on a daughter board, I don't think it will fit. If it is on a daughter board, I think it will fit. You should try PMing 00ZerO or JoshMK as they stock the Tex TKL cases and may have a sample V80 in stock.

Edit: Looks like the Tek 80% comes with a daughter board that you can wire to the PCB? If that's the case, it might work. Only issues are dimensions and mounting now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:20:00 by CPTBadAss »

Offline lunr

« Reply #12691 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:33:02 »

I'm not sure. The V80 I have in hand isn't mine to take apart. If the USB port isn't on a daughter board, I don't think it will fit. If it is on a daughter board, I think it will fit. You should try PMing 00ZerO or JoshMK as they stock the Tex TKL cases and may have a sample V80 in stock.

Edit: Looks like the Tek 80% comes with a daughter board that you can wire to the PCB? If that's the case, it might work. Only issues are dimensions and mounting now.
[/quote]

thanks. i'll give them a email/pm soon.

i took a look at this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60549.0 and it looks like it will fit.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12692 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 10:55:01 »
Is it possible to replace plate mounted stabilizers without de-soldering everything? I've tried to do it in a pok3r, but after releasing the little lever on the front of the stabilizer, it seemed that the stabilizer was trapped by the metal wire.
I want to do it because it makes a metallic and annoying noise (maybe some grease could help?), and because I like to learn :-)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12693 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:10:31 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:01:04 by esoomenona »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12694 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 15:45:51 »
Thanks but they are not costars, they are cherry style plate mounted stabilizers.

Is it possible to replace plate mounted stabilizers without de-soldering everything? I've tried to do it in a pok3r, but after releasing the little lever on the front of the stabilizer, it seemed that the stabilizer was trapped by the metal wire.
I want to do it because it makes a metallic and annoying noise (maybe some grease could help?), and because I like to learn :-)

If it's a Poker 3, I would imagine they're Costar stabilizers. You should just be able to place some grease right on the contact point where the wire touches the plastic clip on the plate. Maybe also put some on the plastic insert that goes into the cap, where the wire would insert into it?

That being said, you should be able to pop the wire out of the plastic clip and then remove it from the plate fairly easy, IIRC.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12695 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 15:50:31 »

How I did it in the past was I just desoldered enough switches to get access to the stabilizers. You don't have to do *all* the switches. Just enough switches.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12696 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 16:13:14 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:47:38 by esoomenona »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #12697 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 17:35:48 »

Whatever you can get your hands on is a good plate. 60% plates are kinda hard to come by. You could also use swill's tool and order one from Big Blue Saw.

Oops, the Infinity PCB comes with one...  :-[

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12698 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 19:04:03 »

The other big advantage is LEDs.  With just handwriting, if you want to use LEDs, there really isnt anything to affix them to.  That and with enablers, you have the option for smd diodes.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12699 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 04:20:53 »
Before I wait for a response from a proxier, what should I expect to pay for shipping a board from Taobao?