Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556424 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12900 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:10:06 »
More
Anyone ever had trouble with costar stabs rubbing/sticking, like the alignment's just not quite right? Looking for a fix for my spacebar and enter key.

Did you put the inserts in the correct way? The longer leg should face your function row.

Yeah, they're in right. I mean it's just barely rubbing. I don't think they'd even come close to fitting if backwards.

BTW this is on an Infinity plate, not an off-the-shelf board, so maybe it's just an alignment/tolerance issue with that....

Hm, could try filing down the stabs a touch so it fits ok? Then try filing the plate's stab holes a bit?

That did it! No more rubbing, binding or squeaking. Just a few times back and forth on each insert with a sapphire nail file (which may or may not be mine).

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I was kind of leaning towards something like that, but I always like to check first to see if my problem is common before resorting to surgery.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline darkspider

« Reply #12901 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:23:24 »
Are there one who knows whether I can use my IBM Model F with windows10 or not?
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12902 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:25:06 »

Assuming you've done what needs to be done to use it on any PC (new controller or adapter cable), there's no reason it shouldn't work in Windows 10 if it works in earlier versions.

Is there a specific reason you have to think otherwise?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline darkspider

« Reply #12903 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:31:37 »

Assuming you've done what needs to be done to use it on any PC (new controller or adapter cable), there's no reason it shouldn't work in Windows 10 if it works in earlier versions.

I wonder whether its driver is included in Windows10's driver pack.
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12904 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:23:56 »

AFAIK all of the well-known converters appear as a generic keyboard. So it will work in Windows 10.

How are you currently using it? As in, are you using a converter cable, alternate controller, or what?

My boards:
More

Offline Cicada88

« Reply #12905 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:48:59 »
Are HHKB Escape keys the exact same profile as RealForce escape keys?

What about HHKB Function keys--are they the exact same shape as the Windows key on Real Force (minus the windows key "bubble")?

I've heard most of the keys are interchangeable but I wasn't sure if the profile is exactly the same.

Offline darkspider

« Reply #12906 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:07:12 »

AFAIK all of the well-known converters appear as a generic keyboard. So it will work in Windows 10.

How are you currently using it? As in, are you using a converter cable, alternate controller, or what?

I converted F's AT plug to ps2, then ps2 to USB by well-known "ps/2 to USB adapter converter" whose picture is the following.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12907 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:12:09 »

I converted F's AT plug to ps2, then ps2 to USB by well-known "ps/2 to USB adapter converter" whose picture is the following.

Okay, perfect. So like I said, Windows will see the USB device as a generic keyboard, no different than any $10 USB keyboard off the shelf. They couldn't even single out Model F users if they wanted to.

My boards:
More

Offline darkspider

« Reply #12908 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:24:03 »

Okay, perfect. So like I said, Windows will see the USB device as a generic keyboard, no different than any $10 USB keyboard off the shelf. They couldn't even single out Model F users if they wanted to.

I got understood, thank you for good information:-)

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #12909 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:55:01 »
I i got for a B.mini vs a b.87 how screwed am i on the short right shift when it comes to cap sets?

I prefer the layout and size of the B.mini, but dont want to screw myself on being able to buy cap sets later on.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12910 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:57:00 »
I i got for a B.mini vs a b.87 how screwed am i on the short right shift when it comes to cap sets?

I prefer the layout and size of the B.mini, but dont want to screw myself on being able to buy cap sets later on.

I mean, you could just buy ISO sets. If ISO sets aren't available then suffer with the rest of the euros :D

EDIT: oh **** short RIGHT shift, disregard my bad. Nah you're pretty screwed unless you really like Signature Plastics.
I love Elzy

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #12911 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:00:32 »

I mean, you could just buy ISO sets. If ISO sets aren't available then suffer with the rest of the euros :D

EDIT: oh **** short RIGHT shift, disregard my bad. Nah you're pretty screwed unless you really like Signature Plastics.

Dammit, lol. I have a OG cherry set right now with a short right shift, but i like caps so im sure to want to buy sets.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12912 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:02:24 »

Dammit, lol. I have a OG cherry set right now with a short right shift, but i like caps so im sure to want to buy sets.

Yeah OG cherry is the only sets ur gonna find the short right shift. That's probably the reason why certain PCBs even use it is because it supports older cherry sets, cuz that's what the Koreans like to do.
I love Elzy

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #12913 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:08:23 »
If i stick with Cherry profile keys, i can just use CMYK modifiers or some such thing. Or perhaps Shodovved's blanks, as they seem to have a R4 1.75 key as well.

Thanks Sifo.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12914 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 23:22:27 »
If i stick with Cherry profile keys, i can just use CMYK modifiers or some such thing. Or perhaps Shodovved's blanks, as they seem to have a R4 1.75 key as well.

Thanks Sifo.
Yeah, although Dolch has short right shifts, Skidata does, and it seems like more sets are compensating for it now.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #12915 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 14:01:41 »
Does anyone remember where this case was offered (other than through the MD Infinity GB)?

I know that I saw a link for it somewhere, TaoBao, Aliexpress, eBay, something, but I can't find it and my google-fu is not helping.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12916 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 15:58:32 »
Does anyone remember where this case was offered (other than through the MD Infinity GB)?

Show Image

I know that I saw a link for it somewhere, TaoBao, Aliexpress, eBay, something, but I can't find it and my google-fu is not helping.

I've not seen this exact one anywhere else, but there is the TEX acrylic case which was also available through the MD Infinity buy, and that one may be easier to find elsewhere.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12917 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 16:02:22 »

Show Image

I've not seen this exact one anywhere else, but there is the TEX acrylic case which was also available through the MD Infinity buy, and that one may be easier to find elsewhere.
Agreed. Think the TEX acrylic case is similar or the same.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12918 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 16:13:21 »

Show Image

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.Di7lGr&id=44521181795&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #12919 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 16:21:56 »

Show Image

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.Di7lGr&id=44521181795&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

Perfect! The link actually doesn't work for me for so ereason, but the part number in it was enough to lead me to one that did: http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=686.1000925.0.0.RsIv9W&id=44521181795

I do already have the TEX acrylic case, which is undoubtedly nicer, but was looking for a lower cost alternative for a possible project. Thanks everyone!

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #12920 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 18:57:00 »
Not sure if its a simple question but,
I've just given the V60 a closer look again since its currently on MD and was looking at some pictures of the PCB.

The PCB is US/ISO/JP so it support things like split left shift for iso (and split backspace for jp?).
However it also support a split right shift, with the add-on key labeled as esc?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to mod or short wire to see what happens when you trigger the add-on keys of split right shift (labeled esc) or split backspace (labeled J14) on an us version.

I guess due to firmware they might not do anything on the us, and its most likely not practical anyway since the v60 isn't programmable but I'm really curious and maybe someone has more knowledge about JP vs US layout...

When I tested this, it sent an ESC.
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #12921 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 02:30:15 »
Does anybody know if Gateron 6.25 PBT spacebars fit on Leopold spacing? (FC750R if there's any difference)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12922 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 02:39:22 »
Does anybody know if Gateron 6.25 PBT spacebars fit on Leopold spacing? (FC750R if there's any difference)

I'll let you judge:

source
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ceflame

« Reply #12923 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 02:47:14 »

I'll let you judge:

Show Image

source

edit: this review says the fc750r has standard spacing
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2015, 03:03:22 by ceflame »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12924 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 16:25:30 »
What does "CCnG" mean?

From the group buy:
Here we go, ladies and gentleman! CCnG round 2, also available will be the reverse colors, i.e. CCoG for base and GoCC for mods, anything your heart desires!

I suspect "CC" is cream cheese and "G" is green...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12925 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 16:25:55 »
What does "CCnG" mean?

From the group buy:
Here we go, ladies and gentleman! CCnG round 2, also available will be the reverse colors, i.e. CCoG for base and GoCC for mods, anything your heart desires!

I suspect "CC" is cream cheese and "G" is green...

You got it. Cream Cheese and Green. It's the name of a colorway.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12926 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 16:27:02 »
Thanks for speedy reply CPT! :-*

Offline What

« Reply #12927 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:34:33 »
Hello,
Can I take regular membrane keyboard and hook it up to micro controller so I can get all the benefits like multiple layers and reprogrammable keys ?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12928 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:55:01 »
Hello,
Can I take regular membrane keyboard and hook it up to micro controller so I can get all the benefits like multiple layers and reprogrammable keys ?

Honestly not sure but I would guess that you could.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12929 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:59:15 »
Hello,
Have a look here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

The USB to USB might help you do some of the the things you want.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12930 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 08:59:32 »
Hello,
Have a look here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

The USB to USB might help you do some of the the things you want.

This discussion has been split and moved to Making Stuff Together, thread here.

Offline 3K

« Reply #12931 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:27:14 »
Hello wise people of geekhack, can you tell me what kind of switches these are?

Seller stated he took it from a russian ISKRA 111.[...]

More
Show Image

More
Show Image

More
Show Image

The keycaps are slightly too large to be MX compatible, the switches seem to work with magnetism - couldn't find information about them though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:33:26 by 3K »

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12932 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:27:40 »
Does anyone anyone know of any 60% aluminium cases that have sharp corners? eg the Duck Eagle case:

I don't think I'll be getting an Eagle due to availability, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12933 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:31:19 »
Does anyone anyone know of any 60% aluminium cases that have sharp corners? eg the Duck Eagle case:

Show Image

I don't think I'll be getting an Eagle due to availability, so I'm looking for alternatives.

KMAC Happy? Or maybe another of these Duck boards fit your tastes.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12934 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:51:14 »

Show Image

KMAC Happy looks great, haven't seen that one before. That would also be fairly hard to get as well, right?

Yeah I've seen Duck's other boards, and I probably want to get an octagon but I've heard that he'll be running another Eagle/Viper buy before doing the octagon again I think.

I just remembered that there's a few on taobao, eg this one which would probably make it cheaper for me in the end too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12935 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:55:17 »
More

Show Image

KMAC Happy looks great, haven't seen that one before. That would also be fairly hard to get as well, right?

Yeah I've seen Duck's other boards, and I probably want to get an octagon but I've heard that he'll be running another Eagle/Viper buy before doing the octagon again I think.

I just remembered that there's a few on taobao, eg this one which would probably make it cheaper for me in the end too.

I mean for what you're looking at, besides what's on TaoBao and what Massdrop/MK.com offers, it's all hard to get. That TaoBao case is a knockoff of the Hammer case or more Hammer cases.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12936 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:56:26 »

Show Image

qtan has them: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/keyboard-accessory/poker-2-metal-keyboard-case/lid=38489633

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12937 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 10:05:33 »
More

Show Image

I mean for what you're looking at, besides what's on TaoBao and what Massdrop/MK.com offers, it's all hard to get. That TaoBao case is a knockoff of the Hammer case or more Hammer cases.

Oh I've heard of Hammer cases but didn't realise that that was a copy of one. I just looked up an older group buy from Feng and the real deal looks crisp as hell, damn.

Thanks for the help and thanks for that link wlhlm. I am in no hurry so I'll be watching the classifieds to see if anything interesting pops up.  :thumb:

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12938 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 21:48:46 »
i always ask the stupidest questions here, sorry guys.  is there a trick to disconnecting the USB cable from a filco?  i don't wanna break anything and nothing i'm trying seems to be doing much.  is there a particular part of the connector i should be putting pressure on?  are there any kind of clips holding things in place?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12939 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 22:33:03 »
i always ask the stupidest questions here, sorry guys.  is there a trick to disconnecting the USB cable from a filco?  i don't wanna break anything and nothing i'm trying seems to be doing much.  is there a particular part of the connector i should be putting pressure on?  are there any kind of clips holding things in place?

I watched one of WFD's videos the first time I disconnected one, and it helped.

If it doesn't start at the correct time, it happens at 7:23

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #12940 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 22:44:11 »

WTF happened to WFD man?

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12941 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 23:05:13 »

oww geez.  thanks for the help that's what i needed to know, but it's not helping much and i just cut my finger attempting it.  man at this point i'd love to pay somebody to do it for me.  haha.  do you use a pushpin like WFD or do you have any other ideas?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12942 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 23:07:45 »

oww geez.  thanks for the help that's what i needed to know, but it's not helping much and i just cut my finger attempting it.  man at this point i'd love to pay somebody to do it for me.  haha.  do you use a pushpin like WFD or do you have any other ideas?

Yeah I used a push pin from my cork board.  I was nervous about breaking something the first time I did it.  Just take your time and you should be able to get it.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12943 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 00:56:19 »
took forever but finally got it.  thanks man!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12944 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:51:47 »
Has anyone had experience with soldering SMD LEDs on the bottom of the switch LED pads of a pcb? eg what's done here

A close up of what the joint looks like with both LEDs soldered on would be great.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12945 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 07:34:01 »
Has anyone had experience with soldering SMD LEDs on the bottom of the switch LED pads of a pcb? eg what's done here

A close up of what the joint looks like with both LEDs soldered on would be great.

I used this method with success.

Just instead of the LED standing on it's side, solder it flat down.

Another option is this.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #12946 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 07:35:34 »

Hi! Owner of that board here.  :D  I'm hesitant to take that board back out of its case for photos, the threads are feeling loose and I fear it wouldn't go back together well.

However, it's pretty much what you would expect it to look like! The in switch SIP sockets are the short variety that basically sit flush with the bottom of the PCB. Those get soldered in first and let it have a slightly rounded top. On one pad I would then give it a quick touch with solder wick to make it flat. I then reflowed a lead of the SMD LED to the pad with the rounded top. I then soldered the the other SMD lead to the flat side.

Only other advise is to test the LEDs you want use before soldering. Different color LEDs require different currents and some don't run in parallel well, unless you want to start messing with the resistors...

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12947 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 09:04:55 »

I used this method with success.

Just instead of the LED standing on it's side, solder it flat down.

Another option is this.

Awesome pictures, thank you for those links. I think I'll be doing the first technique there.

Hi! Owner of that board here.  :D  I'm hesitant to take that board back out of its case for photos, the threads are feeling loose and I fear it wouldn't go back together well.

However, it's pretty much what you would expect it to look like! The in switch SIP sockets are the short variety that basically sit flush with the bottom of the PCB. Those get soldered in first and let it have a slightly rounded top. On one pad I would then give it a quick touch with solder wick to make it flat. I then reflowed a lead of the SMD LED to the pad with the rounded top. I then soldered the the other SMD lead to the flat side.

Only other advise is to test the LEDs you want use before soldering. Different color LEDs require different currents and some don't run in parallel well, unless you want to start messing with the resistors...

Hey man! Nice boards ;)

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered SIP sockets with longer tails than that (Zeal's, I think) so it will be interesting to see how it all fits together, if at all. I'm assuming that I'll probably want to put LEDs on the bottom of each switch, or else I'm going to get some unevenness on the top LED strengths.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12948 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 11:11:24 »
Can someone identify this ?

DT wiki isn't helping, and the cable let me believe it's interesting.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12949 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 12:32:53 »
Can someone identify this ?

Show Image

DT wiki isn't helping, and the cable let me believe it's interesting.

Based on the centered circular LED cutout on the Caps, odds are it's rubber dome.  The caps almost look NMB Hi-Tek, but I don't know of any NMB LED switches.  There's always the changes it's MX or Alps, but I'd lean toward RD.