Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554341 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13200 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 16:22:30 »
Printing my own label/legends for Relegendable caps, cherry beige. How should I do it?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13201 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 16:46:49 »
Printing my own label/legends for Relegendable caps, cherry beige. How should I do it?

You could try something like this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65598.msg1535780#msg1535780

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13202 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 16:54:31 »

You could try something like this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65598.msg1535780#msg1535780

Thanks for it, it's rather interesting, I seem to remind reading about the fibt used for Cherry was rather generic like Arial or something, would someone know?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #13203 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 21:22:13 »

Thanks for it, it's rather interesting, I seem to remind reading about the fibt used for Cherry was rather generic like Arial or something, would someone know?
Closest is Gotham Rounded font family, I have them all if you need it

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #13204 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 21:50:18 »
What happened to GH?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #13205 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 21:51:17 »
What happened to GH?
did GH happen, or was it u that happened?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13206 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 22:21:56 »
are there red GMK spacebars? I don't think I've seen one... would like one though TT
I love Elzy

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13207 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 01:05:27 »
are there red GMK spacebars? I don't think I've seen one... would like one though TT

Not that I know of.

At least on Geekhack there has never been a GMK GB with red spacepars.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #13208 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 05:55:14 »
So what metal cases are compatible with the KB Paradise V60 Matias?  I just got mine today and I'm liking it.  I'm thinking that I be liking it more if I had a metal case.

Hope you don't ever plan to switch swap, mine is a nightmare... Anywho, from what I've seen the Poker cases are all compatible with the V60 but the DIP switches are slightly covered by the metal cases.

Nope, I'm perfect happy with my Matias Quiet switches and will not swap them.  I can change the case without swapping, right?  I haven't quite taken it apart yet.

Thanks.  I can manage with the covered DIP switches, as I already have them set at the configuration that I prefer.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13209 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 06:02:07 »
Yeah the case is swappable. Two of the screws are under the feet though.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13210 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 06:10:30 »
Why do Topre fans tend to use universal 55g boards? I like the idea of lighter mods - pinkies are thin and weak.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13211 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 07:02:51 »
Why do Topre fans tend to use universal 55g boards? I like the idea of lighter mods - pinkies are thin and weak.
There are plenty of us who enjoy variable weighted boards.

55g just gets hyped a lot.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #13212 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 08:54:39 »
A friend of mine got a little too angry during a Dota game and smashed his keyboard with his fist. His O key stopped working. Changing the switch will probably fix it right? He doesn't want to desolder/solder anything, where is a cheap place in the UK that will do the change?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13213 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 12:06:21 »
A friend of mine got a little too angry during a Dota game and smashed his keyboard with his fist. His O key stopped working. Changing the switch will probably fix it right? He doesn't want to desolder/solder anything, where is a cheap place in the UK that will do the change?
Doubtful, but it's really easy. Just ask on Facebook if any of your friends know how to solder. Or rather, have him do it.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13214 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:27:43 »
Is there a way to unsubscribe from threads on here?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline cannonking

« Reply #13215 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:40:57 »
Doubtful, but it's really easy. Just ask on Facebook if any of your friends know how to solder. Or rather, have him do it.
By doubtful do you mean changing the switch probably won't fix it?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13216 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:41:54 »
Is there a way to unsubscribe from threads on here?

You mean threads you have subscribed to so you get notifications? You can do that in Profile -> Notifications

Also threads have an 'unwatch' button not sure what exactly that does.

If you mean show new replies to your posts you can't change that.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #13217 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:59:29 »

I was a uniform 45g die-hard until about a week ago. The siren song of 55g was too hard to resist. I find that I type faster and more accurately on 55g, but I don't like playing games with it as much because the stronger tactile feel causes me to get tripped up in faster-paced titles. But since I'm using my 55g Realforce at work where no games will be played, this isn't a big deal. As an added bonus, the 55g Realforce seems quieter than other standard Topre I've used. I had thought about opening it up to install some silencing rings, but I'm not finding it necessary.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13218 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 20:52:28 »

I really wish there was a way to change/edit it.  I use this all the time, and every time I post in a new thread the list of topics gets longer.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13219 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:10:45 »

Hashbaz has SVG files of all the cherry legends that were used to make the SP Cherry replica set. It's not a font per sé, but with Inkscape and some patience you should be able to do whatever you're trying to do.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13220 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 22:24:45 »
I really wish there was a way to change/edit it.  I use this all the time, and every time I post in a new thread the list of topics gets longer.

Yep and many of those threads I don't look at all the time. There are just a few that I like to follow.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13221 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 12:57:44 »
By doubtful do you mean changing the switch probably won't fix it?
No, doubtful that someone will so it cheaply unless it's as a favor. It will totally work,  unless the soldering is done extremely poorly.

Offline jd29

« Reply #13222 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 04:40:15 »
Is it just me or are Alps SKCM white really sensitive to age/wear? Both boards I'be tried are super inconsistent switch to switch, and one's unusable because the switches are so frictiony.

And are all Alps like that, including blue?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13223 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:29:57 »
Every switch is subject to age and condition. Blues are very consistent and whites generally are in my experience as well. Blues are much smoother overall though.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13224 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 06:24:43 »

I'll have a look if you cover postage both ways.  If he's broken the soldering it's fixable, if he's somehow bent the leaf it's swappable and if he's broken the stem that's also swappable, but I only have brown, blue and linear (red/black are the same just different springs) so hopefully it's one of those.  PM me if you're interested :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13225 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 11:44:13 »
Who here could I pay for PCB repair? I'm trying to swap out switches but this KBP V60 is so cheap that I keep pulling up pads and traces.

LastPilot is the first name that comes to mind

Does anyone know what aluminum alloy the top case of the LZ-GH is? Thinking about reanodizing it :)

AL6061-T6

Stuffed my v60 with drawer liner from and ACE and am loving it. Keystrokes feel more stable and there is definitely less ping. Because the V60 case has a ton of empty space (and I had the time to cut it) I ended up stuffing it full. Everything screwed in fine, but I figured I should ask for peace of mind--is there any risk that I'm not thinking of to using too much liner?

Something a bit obvious but you could stuff enough drawer liner in the case where it wouldn't close right.

Okay so i dont know if a topic is around to ask what is this keyboard but anyway :

Come by this yesterday :

Show Image

ON his back :

MF2 LG FRA
S26381-K252-V140
5V DC 50 Ma

HOS 02

ID-NR
G4.F7

Made in Germany

On the right certification logo with

NRTL/C
LR92675

CE

It's a Nixdorf model number S26381-K252-V140. Doesn't look like it's MX though.

So what metal cases are compatible with the KB Paradise V60 Matias?  I just got mine today and I'm liking it.  I'm thinking that I be liking it more if I had a metal case.

This thread has some discussion on the case that may be interesting to you.

I've never seen them myself and don't recall there being any.

What happened to GH?

Yes

You'll need to desolder/solder. In addition to suicidal_orange's offer, I think Margo Baggins is still doing UK modding.

Is it just me or are Alps SKCM white really sensitive to age/wear? Both boards I'be tried are super inconsistent switch to switch, and one's unusable because the switches are so frictiony.

And are all Alps like that, including blue?

All switches are susceptible to wear, age, and cleanliness. Alps seem to be a little more so then other switch types IMO but I found that BS switches are extremely variable too. Moreso than any Alps I've tried.

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13226 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 17:58:46 »
Thanks for the answer.

Seems i found something intersting, stay tuned, its not in the mail atm.

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13227 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:38:57 »
Could someone give me the dimensions of the fabric bag who was used to ship / store your keycap set ? Need to craft one or two, could be helpful. Like something who is good for a 102 keycap set.

Thanks.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13228 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:54:40 »
Does anyone know what aluminum alloy the top case of the LZ-GH is? Thinking about reanodizing it :)

Same as CBA said.  Also, unless another alloy is mentioned, it is fairly safe to assume that all milled cases are 6061 T6.  I don't know about Vortex as I believe they cast their cases and mill to spec from there.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13229 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:04:28 »
Could someone give me the dimensions of the fabric bag who was used to ship / store your keycap set ? Need to craft one or two, could be helpful. Like something who is good for a 102 keycap set.

Thanks.

Fabric bag to store your keycap set? What are you imagining? Because a bag full of a caps in my head is like a ziplock bag with a bunch of caps in it.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13230 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:19:47 »
VIM-arrowkey users of all faiths, breeds, colors and creeds, I bring you this question: do you move your fingers one key to the left on the home row when using the arrowkeys? If so - every time or just when you know you'll be using the arrowkeys a lot?

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13231 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:41:09 »

Thanks.

Fabric bag to store your keycap set? What are you imagining? Because a bag full of a caps in my head is like a ziplock bag with a bunch of caps in it.

Well, you got what i mean, but with a ziplog bag you are gonna get condensation. Thats why i want to use fabric. And yeah i need to be ok for a whole set, not just 3 caps :) I was seing lot of people on some pictures from other website where they get the set in a fabric bag.

THanks

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13232 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 03:03:12 »
Condensation...? We're still talking about plastic, right? Worst case scenario, toss in one of those silica gel packets. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Packs-1g-Non-Toxic-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Moisture-Absorber-Dehumidifier-/321758027036?hash=item4aea45dd1c)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13233 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 06:13:49 »
i have an '89 IBM Model M coming in and, from what i've googled, it draws ~112mA.
so i've searched google and checked the manual of my motherboard, but wasn't able to find specifics of my ps/2 port.

how would i find out if my PS/2 port provides enough power? can i safely plug the keyboard in to see if it works?
is there some label i could read, or maybe check within my OS?
suggestions are welcome!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13234 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 06:15:09 »

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13235 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:07:15 »
Condensation...? We're still talking about plastic, right? Worst case scenario, toss in one of those silica gel packets. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Packs-1g-Non-Toxic-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Moisture-Absorber-Dehumidifier-/321758027036?hash=item4aea45dd1c)

Thanks, will do this.

Any idea then on the bag dimension ? If the condensation problem is solved with the silica gel,i only need to find the bag now.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13236 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:07:27 »
Well, I'm storing my Pok3r keycaps, which is 61 keys, in a 1l bag (33 backwards as **** ounces), with lots of space to spare.
And yesterday I got the DSA Eve set in a bag about half the size.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13237 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:16:18 »

Thanks.

Well, you got what i mean, but with a ziplog bag you are gonna get condensation. Thats why i want to use fabric. And yeah i need to be ok for a whole set, not just 3 caps :) I was seing lot of people on some pictures from other website where they get the set in a fabric bag.

THanks

You're definitely overthinking this. It's plastic. They can get wet lol...I put whole sets in ziplock bags all the time. No issues.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:08:38 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13238 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:12:21 »

Me too.  :-/  It gets particularly cumbersome to have threads I have zero interest in but just posted in for moderation-related purposes show up all the time.  At a certain point, it becomes easier to change the way you browse - start 'watching' threads you care about and just browse that way.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13239 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:25:01 »

Me too.  :-/  It gets particularly cumbersome to have threads I have zero interest in but just posted in for moderation-related purposes show up all the time.  At a certain point, it becomes easier to change the way you browse - start 'watching' threads you care about and just browse that way.

Yeah, I never even thought about a moderator trying to use that feature.  Now that you mention it, I'll probably end up trying the "watched" thread method.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #13240 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:11:38 »
I found this keyboard on ebay, and was just wondering if it was mechanical or not.  The sellers calls it a "mechanical keyboard" but when I looked on the deskthority wiki it said the model number was a rubber dome. I just want to see if it is a mechanical board or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181864341826?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13241 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:14:25 »
I found this keyboard on ebay, and was just wondering if it was mechanical or not.  The sellers calls it a "mechanical keyboard" but when I looked on the deskthority wiki it said the model number was a rubber dome. I just want to see if it is a mechanical board or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181864341826?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers#Series

DT Wiki says G83-XXXX are rubber domes with sliders. I trust that wiki article.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G83_series

Some teardown pictures here.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13242 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:15:35 »

compare to this :

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:G83-3000_SAU_top_some_removed.jpg

Looks indeed very close to a regular G80-3000 but not the same thing underneath.

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13243 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 04:09:27 »
Any good TKL to have a look on second market ? ( That could have a ISO layout )

IBM SSK ?  Novatouch ?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13244 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 04:55:44 »

definitely not mechanical. g83 is rdoms. a pretty rdoms but rdoms nonetheless.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13245 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:27:34 »

Any good TKL to have a look on second market ? ( That could have a ISO layout )

IBM SSK ?  Novatouch ?

Could you be a little more specific? What are you looking for in a keyboard exactly besides iso and TKL?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13246 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 18:58:25 »
Anyone know anything about the alu 60% case on MD? The blue looks nice..
I love Elzy

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #13247 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 19:25:21 »

I've got the gold one. It's heavy!
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #13248 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 22:55:36 »
My HHKB spacebar has a real click/rattle sound to it, particularly when pressed on the left side (I press space with my left thumb :().

I've searched around a little bit and I couldn't find any solutions - I assume it's the probably the stabiliser? Anyone know what to do?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13249 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 22:57:01 »

I've got the gold one. It's heavy!

Still on the fence about it (no information on the manufacture, can't find any thorough reviews...)

Oh well I'll wait til the last minute I guess.
I love Elzy