Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555748 times)

Offline edb5s

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13750 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 08:57:32 »
So I found an interesting board on an auction site I frequent: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Atari-1040ST-PC-Keyboard--Thomson-Monitor-Base-25610947.html

Anyone have any details about this board, specifically what switches it uses?

Dome

OK thanks.

As an aside, that website from time to time has great deals. I missed out on a Filco Majestouch (http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Filco-Majestouch-Computer--PC-Keyboard-Blank-Keys-24074664.html) that ended up going for $46.

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13751 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 03:18:02 »
Hello, i'am looking for IBM buckling spring spring dimension :

I need the Length and the Diameter, could someone give me this information ?

Thanks.

Eugene
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:54:07 by Eugene45 »

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13752 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:16:37 »
If I have a post about something small that I've made, yet I'm also going to give it away (for free), then where would be best to post that? Free Stuff? Making stuff together? Or in two separate posts?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13753 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 14:19:47 »
If I have a post about something small that I've made, yet I'm also going to give it away (for free), then where would be best to post that? Free Stuff? Making stuff together? Or in two separate posts?

It's all about the intent.  If you're intending to both share a build log and give it away, it's probably best to make a thread in MST and a separate thread in Off Topic (or a post in the Free Stuff thread).  Giveaways don't really belong in MST though, so in any case there should be a post outside of MST for that portion - and then a MST thread if you want to share that.  Hope that makes sense.  :thumb:

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #13754 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:36:18 »
Would it be possible to use sip sockets and some filing to make a razer orbweaver plug n play with switches? Or make it so the switches can be opened without desoldering? Basically the purpose would be to switch out switches to try out different spring weights.

Offline E3E

« Reply #13755 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:59:58 »
Would it be possible to use sip sockets and some filing to make a razer orbweaver plug n play with switches? Or make it so the switches can be opened without desoldering? Basically the purpose would be to switch out switches to try out different spring weights.

As I say to everyone who brings up hotswapping, this guide on LinusTechTips is probably the best to follow and the PCB receptacles he uses are a great choice for this kind of mod.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430702-custom-keyboard-hot-swapable-switch-build/

To narrow it down:

For switches: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726

For LEDs: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/6-1437514-7/6-1437514-7-ND/2135766

They aren't cheap though. You can find cheaper alternatives outside of the holtite range, but holtites are the only sockets that allow a very flush fit and they do not require solder.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13756 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:04:20 »

E3E's post looks great but if you'd like some more reading, check out these threads for some information about hot-swappable switches:

Feng's Smart 68 keyboard
Making my PCB hot swappable
Deelong's keyboard with hot plug switches

Show Image

Couldn't find the measurements off hand but perhaps these patents have them?

Offline pnoozi

« Reply #13757 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:12:37 »
What are the requirements for the mini-USB cable on the QFR?  The original cable it comes with is pretty bad, it's stiff, oddly textured, collects dust, and the mini-USB connection is bent.

Would this work? :|

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=8633&seq=1&format=2

I tried some old mini-USB cables I had laying around but they all caused the keyboard to behave weirdly (type random extra characters, skip characters, etc.).  That cable from Monoprice is described as "28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated)".  Good enough, hopefully?
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (Red)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13758 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:16:15 »
What are the requirements for the mini-USB cable on the QFR?  The original cable it comes with is pretty bad, it's stiff, oddly textured, collects dust, and the mini-USB connection is bent.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=8633&seq=1&format=2

I tried some old mini-USB cables I had laying around but they all caused the keyboard to behave weirdly (type random extra characters, skip characters, etc.).  That cable from Monoprice is described as "28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated)".  Good enough, hopefully?
Any mini usb cable will work. The monoprice one will be fine. There's also some vendors like techkeys, mimic cables, and pexon that offer customized cables for boards.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #13759 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:25:09 »

Any mini usb cable will work. The monoprice one will be fine. There's also some vendors like techkeys, mimic cables, and pexon that offer customized cables for boards.

What about ZealPC? He's da best.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13760 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:25:35 »

Thought he was taking a break from cables?

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13761 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 03:11:13 »

E3E's post looks great but if you'd like some more reading, check out these threads for some information about hot-swappable switches:

Feng's Smart 68 keyboard
Making my PCB hot swappable
Deelong's keyboard with hot plug switches

Show Image

Couldn't find the measurements off hand but perhaps these patents have them?

No dimensions, the number are just here to explian how it work, thanks captain.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #13762 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:36:56 »

Damn. I was thinking of getting one.

Offline E3E

« Reply #13763 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 14:07:13 »

There's plenty of great cable makers out there. I forget the name exactly but 901NINE or someone similar on /r/mechmarket makes great cables from the US. Pexon obv if you're in the UK.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #13764 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 14:11:50 »

There's plenty of great cable makers out there. I forget the name exactly but 901NINE or someone similar on /r/mechmarket makes great cables from the US. Pexon obv if you're in the UK.

90N1NE, and his order form is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O8-y3vcuR8QClX1kB-gxhwCaVJ4b8tqBf4mBuyMltoc/viewform?edit_requested=true

Makes great cables, all the ones i have are from him!
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline E3E

« Reply #13765 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 15:13:27 »

90N1NE, and his order form is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O8-y3vcuR8QClX1kB-gxhwCaVJ4b8tqBf4mBuyMltoc/viewform?edit_requested=true

Haha, I thought I was close. Thanks for the clarification. Yep, he makes some fantastic cables and has lent some very helpful tips for creating quality cables when I've asked for assistance in the past. Seems like a great guy. :D

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #13766 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 18:49:52 »
How do I desolder alps? Is there a guide to avoid doing it wrong?

Also what about assembling alps, or alps stabilizers? I'm assembling a Hasu 60 AEK2 and would appreciate any sort of guide, video or advice.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13767 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:01:19 »

If the legs are not bent over, they come out pretty easily.

When the legs are bent over, it becomes a nightmare. I have not mastered the technique, and have at least 2 wrecked Northgate 101 PCBs to show for it, but you need to suck up as much of the old solder as possible, then melt whatever remains with one hand while gently prying up the bent leg with a very small flat-head screwdriver in the other. If you can successfully straighten the leg and remove almost all of the solder without lifting the pad, it should pull out without further drama.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13768 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:07:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:58:19 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #13769 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:12:53 »

If the legs are not bent over, they come out pretty easily.

When the legs are bent over, it becomes a nightmare. I have not mastered the technique, and have at least 2 wrecked Northgate 101 PCBs to show for it, but you need to suck up as much of the old solder as possible, then melt whatever remains with one hand while gently prying up the bent leg with a very small flat-head screwdriver in the other. If you can successfully straighten the leg and remove almost all of the solder without lifting the pad, it should pull out without further drama.

I used soldering wick as well after desoldering, and it can be really tricky to save the original pcb

I have used tweezers while applying heat to the joint, then using my desolderin iron or a solder sucker to get the solder off of the pin, but that has given me mixed results. I then started using the nozzle to my desoldering iron to bend the pins up while it also applied heat, but to be honest, this could break things on the iron which isn't a good idea.

Really, there is no perfect technique. On the AEK I desoldered, the pins broke with tweezers but worked fine with the nozzle method. On a DC-2014, the nozzle method worked perfectly. On the Dell AT101 I restored, the nozzle was not very effective and broke pins, and tweezers turned out to be the best method for it.

Durability varies, I guess. Sometimes you get lucky, other times, ya wreck it.

The only Alps boards I've desoldered without ANY bent over pins were the NTC 6151N with blue alps and my Fame TH-5539 also with blue alps. Both boards also had an odd quirk of being MXAlps compatible, allowing either switch type to be used, though I think neither ever had an example of using MX switches.

Offline pnoozi

« Reply #13770 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:09:34 »

Wow!  Thanks.  Will have to keep this in mind.
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (Red)

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #13771 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:46:58 »
How do I remove a G81-1800 case from the pcb and backplate? I've tried pressing on the tabs on the back and they've come undone but the bottom (where the spacebar, arrow keys, 0, . on numpad) are still holding onto the top part of the case. Are there hidden screws or something?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13772 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:51:22 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:58:12 by alienman82 »

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #13773 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:55:21 »
How do I remove a G81-1800 case from the pcb and backplate? I've tried pressing on the tabs on the back and they've come undone but the bottom (where the spacebar, arrow keys, 0, . on numpad) are still holding onto the top part of the case. Are there hidden screws or something?

If there are stickers that look like circles (not the label that says g80/g81!!!) they may be two screws under them.  My g81-1800 had them.

Thank you so much!  :) :) :)

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13774 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 03:45:28 »

Show Image

Thanks.

Eugene

Just a heads up, got a response from Unicomp :

Design information is proprietary.

Best regards,

Customer Service

and a response from Clicky keyboard

Thanks for contacting us.

We do have several of the replacement springs available, but we do not have the measurement tools to provide the measurements that you are looking for.

Best regards,
Brandon Ermita

So yeah still looking.

If someone eventualy just have a spring and could take a look at the length and the diameter it would be realy great.

Thanks

Eugene

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13775 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:31:05 »
1) How do I desolder alps? Is there a guide to avoid doing it wrong?

2) Also what about assembling alps, or alps stabilizers? I'm assembling a Hasu 60 AEK2 and would appreciate any sort of guide, video or advice.

1) Just like you desolder MX except you might have to unfold the folded over legs. I use a small screwdriver to do this.

2) Alps stabilizers are a bit confusing. They can come in multiple forms. Generally I think they come in the MX-styled stems and like squared Alps stems. They're like Costar for MX switches. I think you can just mix and match the inserts with Matias or salvaged wires to get them to work for your keyboard.

Hello, i'am looking for IBM buckling spring spring dimension

Snip

Don't bump your questions. I can give you an inaccurate measurement of a Model M if you're desperate but I don't think my calipers are the right tool to measure what you want. Is there a reason you're so desperate for the measurements and can't just buy the springs from Unicomp?
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:32:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13776 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 07:43:41 »
Is there a reason you're so desperate for the measurements and can't just buy the springs from Unicomp?

He may be on the Grail Quest of looking for replacement springs with better characteristics. Personally, I would love lighter ones.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13777 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:24:08 »
Are SA caps supposed to be a little wobbly on MX switches? I just put a set on and it doesn't feel loose on the stem, but rather I can push it forward and backward a fair amount with little effort. Seems a little wiggly but maybe that's just how they are supposed to be.

If this is a known issue, are there any modifications I can do to fix it?
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13778 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:06:25 »
Are SA caps supposed to be a little wobbly on MX switches? I just put a set on and it doesn't feel loose on the stem, but rather I can push it forward and backward a fair amount with little effort. Seems a little wiggly but maybe that's just how they are supposed to be.

I've never had that issue but you can try putting something to shim up the cap.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13779 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:20:00 »

I've never had that issue but you can try putting something to shim up the cap.

Hmm it doesn't seem to be a stablizer key issue but rather the alphas I'm concerned about. I'll try them on a different board when I get home and see if the problem persists.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13780 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:38:52 »
Hmm it doesn't seem to be a stablizer key issue but rather the alphas I'm concerned about. I'll try them on a different board when I get home and see if the problem persists.

Ok but the same logic applies. It's worth trying at least.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13781 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 11:20:25 »

I don't think it's the cap wiggling on the stem you're feeling. It's the stem wiggling in the switch housing. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that. It's just inherent in the design of the switches. Some have tried to reduce movement by installing switch stickers, but the effect is minimal.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline E3E

« Reply #13782 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 11:25:25 »

I don't think it's the cap wiggling on the stem you're feeling. It's the stem wiggling in the switch housing. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that. It's just inherent in the design of the switches. Some have tried to reduce movement by installing switch stickers, but the effect is minimal.

Yep, I concur! I'm not very sensitive to wobble and I don't really mind it, but I have used stickers before and they truly don't do much to help. Oobly has mentioned using copper foil to reduce wobble on Zealios, and so I'm sure could apply to MX switches in general.

I did try the mod and it did reduce wobble on Zealios by about half, but it didn't feel all that great. It could've just been that my application was off though.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13783 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 12:23:36 »
Hey, does anybody know the dimensions of the Varmilo VA87MR?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13784 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 12:53:46 »

Yep, I concur! I'm not very sensitive to wobble and I don't really mind it, but I have used stickers before and they truly don't do much to help. Oobly has mentioned using copper foil to reduce wobble on Zealios, and so I'm sure could apply to MX switches in general.

I did try the mod and it did reduce wobble on Zealios by about half, but it didn't feel all that great. It could've just been that my application was off though.
Copper foil inside the switch? Wouldn't that create a short? Or do you mean between the switch stem and the cap? Because that's not going to help much with say an R1 SA...

Offline E3E

« Reply #13785 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:06:49 »

Copper foil inside the switch? Wouldn't that create a short? Or do you mean between the switch stem and the cap? Because that's not going to help much with say an R1 SA...

Copper foil on the sides of the sliders of the stem. Oobly details it in the Zealio thread. I might try and find it now.

Here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1902748#msg1902748
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:11:31 by E3E »

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13786 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:25:02 »

Copper foil on the sides of the sliders of the stem. Oobly details it in the Zealio thread. I might try and find it now.

Here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1902748#msg1902748

Oh wow that does seem intensive, especially since I'd have to remove the switches and I'm not sure I have the tools for that. It does sound like the stem wiggling in the switch housing now that you mention it, since the caps fit on the stem rather snug.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13787 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:27:04 »

I found the package size in a quick search but not the actual dimension of the board :(.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13788 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:47:39 »

I found the package size in a quick search but not the actual dimension of the board :(.

Alright, no worries!  I've already ordered it so once it arrives I'll post the dimensions.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #13789 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:16:53 »

Show Image

Thanks.

Eugene

You may be able to pester Ellipse, I'm not sure if he had to measure Model F springs to source the ones for his upcoming 4704 reproductions.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13790 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:21:52 »

Show Image

Thanks.

Eugene

You may be able to pester Ellipse, I'm not sure if he had to measure Model F springs to source the ones for his upcoming 4704 reproductions.

Chances are he did as one orders springs based on spring rate, length and both inside and outside diameters.  The spring rate itself is a function of wire diameter, coils per inch, and material.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13791 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:47:25 »
I have heard that alps switches are very hard to de-solder, what cause that?

Offline E3E

« Reply #13792 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:02:05 »

They aren't hard to desolder in my experience, not from vintage boards anyway. The main problem is that many of them were assembled with bent over pins that just make it a PITA to desolder since you have to straighten the pins in order to properly desolder and remove the switches. They were difficult to desolder from the Infinity I have, but that's because the PCB mounting holes are very tight against the pins.

-
Question: I have heard that the Northgate Omnikey 102 does not have NKRO and other features from the Omnikey 101. Is this true? Can anyone clarify?

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #13793 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 00:08:56 »
is it possible to disable nkro in soarer's converter (pro micro/teensy)? how?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13794 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 06:05:01 »

They aren't hard to desolder in my experience, not from vintage boards anyway. The main problem is that many of them were assembled with bent over pins that just make it a PITA to desolder since you have to straighten the pins in order to properly desolder and remove the switches. They were difficult to desolder from the Infinity I have, but that's because the PCB mounting holes are very tight against the pins.

Agreed. It's just the pins being folded over is a bit of a pain. It's not that the switches are actually hard to solder.

Question: I have heard that the Northgate Omnikey 102 does not have NKRO and other features from the Omnikey 101. Is this true? Can anyone clarify?

I don't think that statement is correct. Reading the DT article seems to imply that the whole Omnikey 10X line has NKRO.

is it possible to disable nkro in soarer's converter (pro micro/teensy)? how?

I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13795 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:03:56 »
Assuming split backspace, what would be the distance between backspace and the next key to the right, I believe Insert.  Standard oen layout such as phantom pcb in a Filco plate for example.

The reason I ask is because swill has informed me that KLE won't work due to the .25 unit step increment does not line up.  I would also assume that it is the same distance between page up and numlock.  Confirmation here would be great.  Thanks for help.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13796 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:08:38 »
Assuming split backspace, what would be the distance between backspace and the next key to the right, I believe Insert.  Standard oen layout such as phantom pcb in a Filco plate for example.

The reason I ask is because swill has informed me that KLE won't work due to the .25 unit step increment does not line up.  I would also assume that it is the same distance between page up and numlock.  Confirmation here would be great.  Thanks for help.

Yeah, you would think it would be 23.8125mm. But it's 24.13mm, center-to-center. And yes to your second question. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:11:26 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13797 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:10:47 »

Yeah, you would think it would be 23.8125mm. But it's 24.13mm, center-to-center.

Excellent thanks a lot JD.  Is it the same distance between blocks and esc in the top row?

Offline E3E

« Reply #13798 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:13:20 »
Quote from: CPTBadAss link=topic=40501.msg1939906#msg1939906 date=1447848301
I don't think that statement is correct. [url=http://deskthority.net/wiki/Northgate_OmniKey_101
Reading the DT article[/url] seems to imply that the whole Omnikey 10X line has NKRO.

That's what I was thinking, but since the 102 isn't mentioned, it made me wonder. I know I've heard the comment of no NKRO on the 102 models in at least two different places, but I really don't know what to think.

I've been looking into trying to find a Focus FK-555, since I love that damn bigfoot style case, like my Fame and the AT101 have, and there's speculation that it was a predecessor to the Omnikey, since the 102 has a "KB-555" bit in its FCC ID and the FK-555 has side printed legends on CTRL and Caps Lock that make it seem like they can be switched layout wise. Regardless, the FK-555 and Omnikeys seem very similar, so I'm trying to gauge if it might have the same features or not, but I don't think many people have the FK-555 so asking about it wouldn't likely bring much feedback. I've seen 4 separate mentions of that board around the community.

Finding one might not be easy, but if I can get through to one possible lead, I might get lucky!

Offline Cottser

« Reply #13799 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 14:59:31 »
On a stock HHKB (Pro 2) does fn + z (or any other key that doesn't actually have a mapping on the function layer) send a z, or another keycode, or nothing?

Trying to figure out if I could add additional bindings via Karabiner to expand the function layer.