Author Topic: Only RD (no Topre) keyboards available in the world...which would you use?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline jksteger

I figured this would be a fun post.  Let's pretend that aliens came down last night and took away all keyboard types and only left RD's for our use, which RD would you be either using now or which would you be looking to get?  Remember, the aliens took all the Topre's too! (let's forget about "gaming" and only focus on the "feel" of the board and not NKRO and such)

I would start using my Dell Enhanced Multimedia KB. Model: Y-U0003-DEL5
It fells very good to type on, the keys require a shorter travel, maybe 2/3rd the distance of my AEK.  The resistance is firm but not hard to press and it feels a little tactile too.

Next...

:)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Do scissor switches count? TypeMatrix 2030, and I'd try to get higher-quality keycaps for it... somewhere. Otherwise, I'd like to try some programmable Cherry G86.

I don't really mind BTC 51xx (w/ Cherry MX-compatible keycaps), old KeyTronic, Dell QuietKey, Silitek MaxiSwitch and possibly some others, but the layout! There's no way I'm going back to full-size AND winkeyless AND staggered layout. Maybe MS Natural Elite or Goldtouch Adjustable Keyboard...

Offline Bry

Well I would start swinging my Filco at the aliens furiously, but if they still managed to get it away from me...

I suppose I'd use a qsenn dt-35 just so I could feel like a gosu korean starcraft player.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
I would steal my dad's microsoft ergo board (not sure of model number) the keys on it are medium weight and kinda linear, but still rubber dome...
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
I'd go MY first, then scissor switches and then a Microsoft 3000 (http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/microsoft_wireless_laser_desktop_3000.jpg)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
I guess I would stick with my Happy Hacking Lite 2.  As far as rubber domes go it feels pretty good. The layout is nice too.

But in reality i would just hide my 60% and use it on the DL. It is just so portable and durable with my aluminum case, plate, o-rings, and WYSE set. I know for a fact that my low-profile case will crack a skull open when i slam it into our evil alien overlord's dome pieces. i will keep it wu-tang
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I can't remember which one this is but I used to think this was the best keyboard ever....... :eek:

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
I can't remember which one this is but I used to think this was the best keyboard ever....... :eek:
Lol, I was literally typing on that an hour ago...  now I'm at home typing on a Topre(just got it). :)
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Which rubber dome?
I CHOOSE DEATH.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Dell QuietKey, RT7D5JTW, made in Thailand, Dell part number 00463CD.

I win. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Microsoft Ergo 4k. Still got it at work ^__^

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Logitech G510. Booya! Oh wait...

Offline Findecanor

* Key Tronic OEM keyboard.
* Once upon a time I bought a used NMB RT6556 as a backup for the future for when my Key Tronic OEM keyboards would stop working. The NMB was half decent..
* That stand-alone Thinkpad keyboard with scissor switches. (same as laptop keyboard, but not part of laptop, not the Model M6-1)

There are actually three different keyboards, made by different manufacturers. All with the same look, case and Dell brand.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2013, 16:02:44 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
quiet key or the proto-topre RD capacitive that IBM made :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline diqkiq

I'd go with the IBM Spacesaver II
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Microsoft Ergo 4k. Still got it at work ^__^

spacebar T_T

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Then, I'll snag PFU original HHK.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
If scissor switch counts, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Personally haven't try it yet but I heard the IBM Model M Rubber Dome was actually pretty good.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Then, I'll snag PFU original HHK.
good call :) layout is important!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline llovro

I would be using my Logitech g15. I love to type on this thing.

Offline crthell

• crthell
Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline geminimech

- Thinkpad Scissor switches (not the new chiclet style)
- Dell Quietkey
- This old Nexxtech Dome keyboard that was left in my office.  Remarkably tactile and solid rubber dome.  A little heavy on the press though.

I really want to buy a KeyTronic board.  It's piqued my interest based on all of the positive feedback it gets and is incredibly cheap. 

BTW jksteger, I just realized you're the guy I bought my Realforce from :)

I was wondering why your gh handle looked so familiar, then I checked my ebay history and put it all together.  Thanks for the board man, you weren't kidding when you said it was brand new!
Topre Realforce 87U Variable | Choc Mini MX Brown | Cherry G84-4100 ML

Offline jksteger

BTW jksteger, I just realized you're the guy I bought my Realforce from :)

I was wondering why your gh handle looked so familiar, then I checked my ebay history and put it all together.  Thanks for the board man, you weren't kidding when you said it was brand new!

I'm glad you are liking the board.  Yeah, like I said, I used it maybe a total of 8 hours at my office.  I haven't got another board yet because I'm holding out for the Leopold FC660C.

I had a Keytronic keyboard, the one with the weighted keys, I didn't think too much of it and sent it back to Amazon.  The keys were just too "odd" feeling.  I mean, you use your smallest finger to press Shift, etc. but Keytronic, for some unknown reason, decided to make these keys as hard as the spacebar!  I just didn't like it.  YMMV though.  I would love to find one of the IBM Model M's that are RD to give it a try.

J.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:24:29 by jksteger »

Offline geminimech

Yeah, I enjoyed it so much that I want another Topre board, so when I saw this was coming out it was clear to me that this needed to be my home board.  I'm very glad I copped this particular white version sans the grey modifiers etc, since finding the white keys could have been a pain and an expensive proposition.  I'm just glad nobody else bid for it after me :)  I was willing to go past the price new!

As for the Keytronic, I was looking to get an old variable weight one possibly.  I'm sure I would probably never use it, but I'm certainly curious to try it out.  The price makes it easier to deal with if I hate it.

Topre Realforce 87U Variable | Choc Mini MX Brown | Cherry G84-4100 ML

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
my dt-35

still love it
I love Elzy

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43025.0;topicseen

Lots of these RD threads around lately. I wonder why?

My fav RD these days is Thinkpad. I'm surprised it isn't more popular around here since they usually sell it as TKL.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline calavera

I actually don't mind using the apple keyboards macs come with these days.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
I'd go for scissor switches first.  The small Apple bluetooth board.  In fact, I still use it sometimes... feels great to type on, and so very different from the long travel of mechanicals.  Even though it's basically the same as the built in Macbook Pro keyboard, for some reason it feels a lot better to me.

But if not for that, I'd go for the Microsoft Ergo 4k.  Even though it's mushy as hell in hindsight, I still prefer that layout over any keyboard I've tried.  I would trade major korean metal for a good MX or Topre version of that keyboard.

Offline codymaust

I have an old Apple design keyboard that is very nice to type on

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Dell QuietKey, RT7D5JTW, made in Thailand, Dell part number 00463CD.

I win. :D

I agree. This and the IBM KB-8923.

Late 1990s-early-2000s Compaqs are pretty nice, too.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BearHug

Original HHKB, i love this layout
HHKB2  Noppo Choc mini (Browns) CM Storm TK (Reds) Blackwidow (Blues) Ozone Strike (Blacks)

Offline dante

A tie between the HP SK-2880 and HHKB Lite 2.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Dell QuietKey!

Offline OrpheusX

I'd fall back to the HHKB Lite 2 I used for 10 years before discovered mechanical switches. Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Offline diqkiq

Re: Only RD (no Topre) keyboards available in the world...which would you use?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:30:45 »
I would use an IBM Spacesaver II
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:32:13 »
Sun Type-3/ HHKB 1

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:49:50 »
Microsoft Natural Pro, circa 2000

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 04:51:09 »
An Apple aluminium Keyboard

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 04:58:38 »
Microsoft Natural Pro, circa 2000

I've still got one of those that I use at work, can't bring myself to get rid of it! Actually been seriously considering doing some measurements for a mechanical knock off but the curvature of it scares me somewhat.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 07:48:48 »
Alphametric makes a rubberdome keyboard with a capacitive sense mechanism and NKRO. It also features dyesub pbt keycaps. General dynamics used a sealed version as their VCU keyboard in the SBCT. With the sliders oiled, it's actually rather nice (if heavy) to type on.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 08:02:17 »
I will refuse to type.