Author Topic: geekhack apparel  (Read 20766 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
geekhack apparel
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:19:16 »
Lets make some sweet shirts/ hoodies!

Post up any ideas and maybe we can get a GB going.

My initial thoughts:

1. We should use a well made American shirt brand, it may be more expensive but with the recent disaster this point (at least as I see it) is an absolute must. Anyone know of anything we could get wholesale prices on? Maybe AmAppy but if there is a viable alternative I'm all for it.

2. I'd like to see some orange and gray on black designs, similar to the nostalgia theme (if you aren't using it you aren't doing it right)
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:26:04 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Re: geekhack apparel
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:21:03 »
I still want a GH t-shirt that says "Chicks Dig Loud Keyboards."
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline RougeR

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:23:39 »
Eu members might be better off organizing a separate GB, but ideas are cool to chuck around here
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:24:49 »
maybe we can get a nice hoodie made by american apparel like the TL hoodies but with the color scheme you described.  I am quite a fan of the TL hoodies ^.^
http://www.teamliquid.net/store/us/hoodies

-wd
-wd

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:25:33 »
An Orange shirt with the logo that is at the top of the page would be badass
i would get one

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:26:52 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:42:03 by esoomenona »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:27:32 »
I'd rep a GeekHack shirt/hoodie so hard. There was an IC with some cool ideas but nothing seemed to ever come out of it. Then I was a sad panda.

I'd love to see a shirt similar to the Taylor Gang or Die shirts. But it says "Keyboards or Die" on the front with GeekHack on the back. Preferably the logo from This picture.

I would also love to see a shirt that has a picture of a switch top (think a top-down view of an MX switch) with the GH logo underneath on the front. And on the back it says "I'd Tap That".

Binge/Jwaz also floated the idea of having solid color hoodies with just the GH logo on the front or back similar to this and this.

I still want a GH t-shirt that says "Chicks Dig Loud Keyboards."

And this but I want it to say "Wanna Switch?" on the back :P

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:29:09 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:42:12 by esoomenona »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:32:59 »
HUGE logo across the chest in enormous letters GEEK HACK

or maybe G H with the oldschool logo on the back

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:33:44 »
i would get a shirt that was mainly Plain, with a two color scheme, with the Logo on the front, and then some funny phrase on the back.
i also like the idea of an mx switch somewhere on the shirt :D

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:34:05 »
I'm down to get fully fitted! Bring it on!

I need XXXL though for hoodies and jackets... Anything else can be 2XL

That would be so freaking epic, if we made GH shirts and Deskthority made their own shirts, then we all meet up at camp Pendleton, CA and have a paintball war!!
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:35:31 »
Before I forget, we should also remember that there are ladies on GH who might like to get one of these so the phrases might need to be good for both genders :D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:45:42 »
trying to get the ball rolling, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43253.0
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Online Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 13:58:53 »
If this goes through with shirts/hoodies I can recommend a shop that is actually within 3 miles of my house.  Not only do they use American made shirts and hoodies but to my knowledge they are also a union shop.  Lets support the people that brought us the weekend in the first place.

http://www.imagepointe.com/

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:50:59 »
Before I forget, we should also remember that there are ladies on GH who might like to get one of these so the phrases might need to be good for both genders :D

Geekhack thongs, for sure.

Ok, fine, and speedos.

Did anyone ever make GH-themed wrist rests? I'm going to see if I can make 'em.

EDIT: If you really want to do something like t-shirts, you've got to do LOTS of them, and silk-screen them. The cheapest way to do that is to lower the setup costs by keeping it one-color. A black shirt with a bright orange GH logo would (in my opinion) exert the maximum win for the least amount of money. Plus, how to get these things out to people? Shipping just a single shirt, is... meh. Roll something else inside the shirt, and it would be awesome. Get a grab bag of stuff, toss in a few "rare, custom" keys, and then roll them up in the shirts. People buy a shirt and wish and pray that they get the t-shirt with the Clack inside, or the Hapster, etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:54:39 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:12:14 »
Banana hammocks!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:17:45 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:42:25 by esoomenona »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:19:43 »

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:23:48 »
I had some time on my hands and out of boredom created this. For now something not related to GH, will try to make GH design next time I am bored :P

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:48:37 »
i have a hookup and experience in this and can get stuff done pretty cheap, if i could get permission to have these made i could get em done and ready pretty fast
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:51:14 »
wow, i really like that Cherry Switch Design..if only there was one for every switch haha

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:54:29 »
i have a hookup and experience in this and can get stuff done pretty cheap, if i could get permission to have these made i could get em done and ready pretty fast

Binge seems pretty set on outerwear/hoodies so maybe you can focus on trying to provide t-shirts?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:56:39 »

Binge seems pretty set on outerwear/hoodies so maybe you can focus on trying to provide t-shirts?

thats not an issue

i thought there were more troubles with being able to use geekhack on things

if we have permission to make apparel i can have large runs made inside a week and shipped from me and will happily sell em at cost + a donation to geekhack

i can also knock out whatever designs people want or can use any artwork we currently have

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:58:32 »
Hm I thought if Jwaz started the topic then we had GH's blessing? Unsure though. And you might want to talk to Binge or find the hoodie thread to see logos and other ideas currently pitched as well as my links in the beginning of this discussion.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
geekhack apparel
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:01:27 »
I am definitely in favor of this (and ask to be notified if/when orders are taken).  :)

I have a few tshirts and a hoodie I had made a while back...I find it is a good idea to have the URL somewhere on the apparel.  If you are going to promote the community, tell people how to get here!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:04:09 »
i like damndan's design quite a bit but: cherry font, "geekhack.org" across the bottom, and CHERRY GREENS THE GREATEST SWITCH

i'd totally buy one, but not cafepress crap. krogenar dyesub on an american apparel hoody

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:04:39 »
i'm going to go even further. MAKE THIS HAPPEN DUDES

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:06:01 »
Oooo, the man himself speaks
CPTBadAss bows to iMav

That being said, more American Apparel stuff please! I really like their shirts/hoodies :D

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:30:58 »
i can hook this up on american apparel

if there is a vector somewhere of the geekhack logo someone point me there that would be great, ill get a small trial run of tshirts done this week as samples, like 10 or so

if anyone wants one pm me

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:40:23 »
krog has great graphics. not sure how vector they are.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:42:07 »
krog has great graphics. not sure how vector they are.

They're vectorized. PMing Bunny now.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:42:54 »
TO THE PM CAVE BATMAN!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:46:54 »
TO THE PM CAVE BATMAN!

(cue a spinning GH logo)
More

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:47:36 »
sorted, i will have samples within a week to get photos of etc, ill get a few variations, and ill get a quote in volume etc and we as a community can decide a fair donation on top of each item to go to geekhack

if ive stepped on any toes to do this lemme know, or if anyone wants to work with me or get me to sort this for some of there designs let me know ill be happy to sort something out

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:48:15 »
DONATIONS TO PROJECT SCOOPS!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:39:19 »
LOVELOVELOVE

Thank you, Bunny, for making the t-shirts happen! DO WANT!!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:43:32 »
LOVELOVELOVE

Thank you, Bunny, for making the t-shirts happen! DO WANT!!

pm me your size sir i will get one sent out to you the day they arrive

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:56:58 »
I want a dark charcoal hoodie with orange GH over the heart.  Geekhack.org across the back would be cool, too. 

Garment made in the US is preferred, but for heaven's sake not American Apparel!  Their ads are just... creepy.

American Giant would be much better. 

http://www.american-giant.com/mens-heavyweight-full-zip-hooded-sweatshirt.html

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:59:01 »
Suggestion: instead of polls figuring out which kind of hoodie, sweatshirt, beanie cap, or whatever we all want...

... Geekhack patches.

:D

21369-0

Google up 'embroidered patches' and there are lots of manufacturers who can do this. Just off the top of google, I find this pricing scheme:
http://www.wholesale-patches.com/pricing.html

According to this site (which may not even be our ultimate choice) a 4" diameter embroidered patch is somewhere between $1.43 and $1.75 each for a quantity of 200 -- price varies depending on the complexity of the design, and thread use. You could sell them for $3 and they would still be a steal, and the balance could go to GH. And it looks like the turnaround is pretty quick. So we could run this like a real groupbuy, make multiple designs available, and let people pick and choose, and the final price depends upon what tier(s) we hit. It cost $.10 to add 'iron on' capability to a patch, if no one knows someone who can sew.

The advantages here are price, options and you can add it to whatever clothing you already own. And the shipping costs would be way, way less.

I don't mean to piss in anyone's cereal -- these are all great ideas for apparel, but we all have different ideas of what constitutes clothing we would want to wear, so why not a patch? We could all post photos showing where we put our patches! Put 'em on hats, whatever. Just something to consider.
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:01:29 »
I'm in for a GH t-shirt provided they are American Apparel (have a few of their tees for years) or something similar in quality and comfort.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:07:37 »
Now I'm picturing embroidered patches of each kind of Cherry switch... sew them onto your clothing like kill stencils onto a warplane.
21371-0
More

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:08:51 »
Now I'm picturing embroidered patches of each kind of Cherry switch... sew them onto your clothing like kill stencils onto a warplane.

Next we'll have limited-edition patches, rare double-sewn models and ones made from vintage materials.   :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:10:12 »
GH merit badges. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:10:42 »
GH merit badges. ;D

Looks over at jdcarpe's signature... so, you're an 18-star general?
More

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:14:31 »
Oooo, the man himself speaks
CPTBadAss bows to iMav

That being said, more American Apparel stuff please! I really like their shirts/hoodies :D
this ^^
-wd

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:21:11 »
'murrican 'pparel ftw

Offline dante

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 12:54:42 »
Ideas:

iMav's avatar on it
Cherry switch like in Keymasters post but no text
The Formula for Topre (it's on the Leopold Topre keyboards)
Buckling Springs diagram

Basically more diagrams/schematics and less text.

Not to go off the rail - License plate holders would be awesome too.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
geekhack apparel
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 14:28:17 »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 14:31:31 »
Ideas:

iMav's avatar on it
Cherry switch like in Keymasters post but no text
The Formula for Topre (it's on the Leopold Topre keyboards)
Buckling Springs diagram

Basically more diagrams/schematics and less text.

Not to go off the rail - License plate holders would be awesome too.

Sorry and no offense you iMav, but I would not wear your face
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 14:50:08 »
BunnyLake, hook me up with a shirt! I didnt see that earlier post about you making a trial run. MY BODY IS SO READY.