Author Topic: [IC] Penumbra Key Set (formerly Solarized)  (Read 736939 times)

Offline Ryan Uber

Re: [IC] Solarized Set Key Caps
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 22:26:48 »
I don't understand why the mods aren't colored.  Traditionally you have Ctrl, Alt, and Shift with the red/green/blue.  For some reason the mockup leaves those gray while coloring backspace, tab, and enter.  By the way I like the SA profile idea.

I don't either :) There is no logical reason why the colors are not the same as traditional sets. I just had an idea, banged out a mock-up as quickly as I could, and that's how it turned out.

I think it looks more symmetric with gray mods and gray function row legends on top.  This is an unusual set, and all the unusual bits make it interesting.  Versus standard dark mods + light alphas, 2-tone set ups.

I agree with this, Photoelectric.

Coming from someone who hasn't spent ages looking at different key cap combinations, it simply didn't occur to me that this is how things are normally done, hence the atypical legend colors.

Thanks to you both for the comments. Anyone else care to weigh in? As the OP states, I am completely open to suggestions, and if there are many who prefer the legends a different way, let's have a looksie.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 10:04:02 »
I love Solarized! Great idea, can't believe it hasn't been done sooner.

My only gripe is that I really dislike the light alphas with dark mods. I'd be in for a complete set in dark in a heartbeat. Might do an all-light one.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline kwago

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 10:53:37 »
i'm in

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:01:46 »
If you don't see a color you like that matches then just ask SP to order a custom color for you. It is free and you just need to give them the Pantone code. This set looks pretty cool, I had an idea to do a similar color scheme except dark blue for the alphas and the lighter color for the mods.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:04:42 »
I love all 3 colors (A, B and C) but I'm more concerned about profile. DSA or SA would be preferred and I wouldn't buy a DSC profile set
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:05:17 »
I think SA is what the OP is also most interested in.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:05:56 »
I think all the colors should be used somehow. I didn't see magenta in any of the mockups. What makes the entire solarized scheme look great is all the colors being used together.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:42:18 »
I think all the colors should be used somehow. I didn't see magenta in any of the mockups. What makes the entire solarized scheme look great is all the colors being used together.

I referred back to the solarized website.

An extra color would make it look better all together.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:43:56 »
these will look great in the SA profile... but i do wish there was an option for DCS, because i don't find that i have a lot of keyboards that i like putting SA profile caps on.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:01:10 »
DSC is usually very thin ABS :(  That's my main issue with it.  Plus the typical WYSE fonts in place of the large centralized fonts.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ijprest

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:02:01 »
Here's a couple options I whipped up to see what RGBY modifiers would look like (using the official Solarized colors... we'd have to match them to SP plastics):

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:48:14 »
Yes. Interested. This would be a beautiful set.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:09:02 »
I used Solarized quite a lot, but lately I've switched to Tomorrow (https://github.com/chriskempson/tomorrow-theme).

Ooh, very nice.  That's going straight into my ~/.vim

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:33:27 »
This has been my choice of color scheme for Emacs for quite a long time lol. Will grab a set if DSA/DCS is an option.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:11:49 »
Too bad you removed Version B. That was my favorite.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:42:09 »

Good call - maybe we can change Esc? Or include a second one if people liked the orange Esc.

39000-0

I think Magenta is going to need to be a custom color if we want to include it. The samples on the SP site are too soft or too dark. We could use RCR, looks closest but still more of a pink.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:27:33 »
^ Want!  Must order!

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 16:40:14 »
Updated OP with a few adjustments, and added currently selected colors.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:00:31 »
DSC is usually very thin ABS :(  That's my main issue with it.  Plus the typical WYSE fonts in place of the large centralized fonts.

100% CORRECT.  Plus I've already got too many DCS caps.  We desperately need more SA love on here and look forward to this GB picking up some legs and running fast to SP for production.  Once you get your FIRST delivery of these in your hands you'll be wondering why SP hasn't been making them always, instead of that horrid DCS.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:07:00 »
I got a random SA profile cap as a bonus in one of my recent GH trade packages, and I was very impressed.  If I was on the fence before, that cap pretty much made the decision for me - I need a full SA set :D  It's so nicely thick, and the spherical-ness of it is just great.

Offline frogamic

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 19:19:27 »
MRW reading this:

I'd be in for a set of these
Filco TKL | Filco ISO105 | Acer 6311-K71

Offline bupsthename

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 23:13:42 »
The super/meta is also a really nice touch. I actually can't wait for this to run.

Looking forward to the eventual zenburn IC thread....

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 23:14:56 »
The super/meta is also a really nice touch. I actually can't wait for this to run.

I agree!  It's all very retro and very cool :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:28:36 by Photoelectric »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:26:08 »
Are you gong to include a dark "\|" key and dark spacebar?

If you included a dark "\|" key, what color should the text be?

These go well with 60 percent boards.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:08:57 »

That's a good point - I am not opposed to adding an additional key for this purpose. I am not sure - what color do you think the text should be? I am trying to keep the number of colors to what we have now.

Signature Plastics got back to me with a pricing quote. I asked for a quote on the *ENTIRE* set - so bear in mind this is not parting out any alphas / iso kits / numpads / tsangan / graphic modifier keys / etc. We could separate them out into smaller sets, I have no idea how many orders we would get, if we would even come close to the 150 mark or not (which is where the price becomes a little more reasonable), so that might be our next move.

25 sets      $140.17 per set
50 sets      $112.06 per set
75 sets      $102.69 per set
100 sets      $98.00 per set
150 sets      $93.32 per set
200 sets      $90.97 per set
250 sets      $89.57 per set

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:10:24 »
Group buy, go! :D  (Of course, if someone experienced is willing to run / assist--wouldn't demand that you do it if you're not ready :) )

The standard alphas  / mods / tsangan / numpad / ISO seem to be a reasonable traditional way to do this (or combine mods with tsangan kit).  Subtract the numpad and ISO--which is what many people on GH will do based on previous group buys, and you'll have a cheaper purchase.  And many people don't need a Tsangan kit either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:12:50 by Photoelectric »

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:17:39 »
Yeah - this is kind of what I was thinking too.

Forgot to mention - I also put in a request for a more vibrant magenta. I gave them the hex code #FF0066 which im guessing they know how to convert to whatever format they needed the color in. I'll update here when they reply again.

Looking again, #FF0066 looks a bit bright. It will be used on just the lettering of the Esc key so far. Any other color suggestions?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:19:58 by Ryan Uber »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:41:37 »

That's a good point - I am not opposed to adding an additional key for this purpose. I am not sure - what color do you think the text should be? I am trying to keep the number of colors to what we have now.

Signature Plastics got back to me with a pricing quote. I asked for a quote on the *ENTIRE* set - so bear in mind this is not parting out any alphas / iso kits / numpads / tsangan / graphic modifier keys / etc. We could separate them out into smaller sets, I have no idea how many orders we would get, if we would even come close to the 150 mark or not (which is where the price becomes a little more reasonable), so that might be our next move.

25 sets$140.17 per set
50 sets$112.06 per set
75 sets$102.69 per set
100 sets$98.00 per set
150 sets$93.32 per set
200 sets$90.97 per set
250 sets$89.57 per set

You could make the "\|" key font magenta as well.

The only issue is on a 60 percent board. The color order from bottom to top on the mods will be out of order.

The top magenta font colored esc key on the top left and a red backspace key on the top right.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:44:27 »
Sent you a PM Ryan.

Offline yesandnotyes

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 20:56:41 »
Looks very nice!

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:09:46 »
um... yes please! The solarized theme is a brilliant inspiration!

Offline mtl

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 21:45:22 »
Looks great. Please keep the Tsangan kit.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline ijprest

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:35:31 »
Forgot to mention - I also put in a request for a more vibrant magenta. I gave them the hex code #FF0066 which im guessing they know how to convert to whatever format they needed the color in. I'll update here when they reply again.

Looking again, #FF0066 looks a bit bright. It will be used on just the lettering of the Esc key so far. Any other color suggestions?

If we're calling it Solarized, why not try to match the Solarized colors as closely as possible (provided SP is willing to do custom colors, which another poster indicated was the case)?  The colors were chosen specifically to complement each other.  Solarized Magenta == #d33682.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:38:15 »
But please keep that awesome beige for the alphas!  It has so much punch and character--for a beige.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:23:03 »

If we're calling it Solarized, why not try to match the Solarized colors as closely as possible (provided SP is willing to do custom colors, which another poster indicated was the case)?  The colors were chosen specifically to complement each other.  Solarized Magenta == #d33682.

Thought about this myself as well after posting. If they come back and say that they will do the color match for free, then I'll definitely give them the accurate magenta color. I was actually working on a mock-up with the true solarized color scheme to see how that looks in case they will color match all of the colors in the set.

With all of that said - a lot of people seem to like the YCC beige color from SP's line-up on the alpha's. Out of curiosity, I created a poll. I appreciate both colors. If everyone is deeply divided, perhaps we offer two different sets of alpha's, although that would affect MOQ.

TL;DR
Vote for true solarized or the current YCC alpha color at the below form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AsO7t8JX8C7HsTczWZauXpTfLxA-O43UPCJucbapJPw/viewform

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:28:52 »
True Solarized alphas = standard nondescript beige of the white / beige series.  There are already lots of sets with white, off-white, and light beige alphas.  There are no sets with that rich beige YCC color and blue modifiers to offset it, which makes the original mock up so appealing to me. It's interesting and different.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:32:37 »
True Solarized alphas = standard nondescript beige of the white / beige series.  There are already lots of sets with white, off-white, and light beige alphas.  There are no sets with that rich beige YCC color and blue modifiers to offset it, which makes the original mock up so appealing to me. It's interesting and different.

Definitely agree. Given a choice of the two, I'd love the darker. After danielucf mentioned the color matching, it has stirred up enough interest for a quick poll to see if the majority of others feel the same way. End goal for me is to get the set produced, and I think that I will probably lose some people if we just pick one or the other, which is why I think we might need an option for a slightly higher expense.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: [IC] [VOTE] Solarized Set Key Caps
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:45:22 »
I asked for a quote on the *ENTIRE* set - so bear in mind this is not parting out any alphas / iso kits / numpads / tsangan / graphic modifier keys / etc. We could separate them out into smaller sets, I have no idea how many orders we would get, if we would even come close to the 150 mark or not (which is where the price becomes a little more reasonable), so that might be our next move.

Just FYI if you're not aware -- you need to get pricing for each set individually.  You can't infer much about pricing of smaller kits based on the megakit.

You could make the "\|" key font magenta as well.

The only issue is on a 60 percent board. The color order from bottom to top on the mods will be out of order.

Can you explain why the Backslash color should be different for a 60% board? ... I'm not following.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:50:12 »
Quote from: hashbaz
Just FYI if you're not aware -- you need to get pricing for each set individually.  You can't infer much about pricing of smaller kits based on the megakit.

I figured as much. To me the $89 is totally worth a full set of keys plus a few extras, I haven't really guaged gripe factor on pricing yet so good to know if it comes to that, thanks.

Quote from: hashbaz
Can you explain why the Backslash color should be different for a 60% board? ... I'm not following.

I am guessing because there is no ~, since the escape key goes there, so with escape a dark color, the whole left side is dark, but the right side has one alpha-colored key. Could be wrong :)

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:52:27 »
Voted for the more unique beige.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:19:32 »
Voted for the more unique beige.

I also voted for the FIRST and only decent colourway to appear thus far  :thumb: .

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:20:19 »
Should include GH username into the poll, or we can vote repeatedly!

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:22:54 »
voted for YCC :thumb:

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:24:31 »
Should include GH username into the poll, or we can vote repeatedly!

Oh right, I was going on the honor system. Good suggestion

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:38:53 »
On another note - I would feel bad if the truly-matched colors were available, and we used YCC anyways and still called it "Solarized", because well, it wouldn't be! So, how about some alternative names? Maybe something like "SemiSolar"?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:42:18 »
Penumbra  :)) (doesn't sound as well)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:45:59 »
On another note - I would feel bad if the truly-matched colors were available, and we used YCC anyways and still called it "Solarized", because well, it wouldn't be! So, how about some alternative names? Maybe something like "SemiSolar"?

Only one way to fix that, do them in the legit Solarized colors :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 03:07:32 »
Since we seem pretty deeply divided so far (will let the poll run in case I am proved wrong later), I am thinking of the following for the sets. I don't really think we need to part this down into tiny kits for everything. ISO is still its own set because I'm guessing that is the least commonly ordered kit and might save a few bucks for the majority of the group. I am thinking maybe we put that in the set with the mods - then you buy the mods + the color alphas you want and thats it.

This is also assuming that SP comes back with a "Yes - we do multiple custom colors at no (or little) charge".

39370-0

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 03:26:59 by Ryan Uber »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 04:28:14 »
Damn it, now I'll just be able to buy both!