Author Topic: fake clack discussion  (Read 377269 times)

Offline Lu_e

Re: fake clack discussion
« Reply #850 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:33:17 »
I still think it would be baller for someone to make fakes but add an eye patch. Making them in other profiles besides OEM would also be a good move.

*opinion expressed is personal does not reflect in anyway the stance or polices of GH.

Dude that would be a parody and entirely cool IMO.

DO IT BINGE, then auction if off and put the money towards a good cause.

Or I could give it away and ask the owner to put the money towards a cause they believe in.

(Attachment Link)
I don't see any problem with fakes as long as that's what they are sold and marked as. To me they are art like paintings, sculpture, etc. that get reproduced. I think the "Originals" will still be as desirable and valuable as ever (maybe more so) to serious keyboard collectors and connoisseurs. That is how I feel about it and I would rather use a fake "CC" as a esc on my daily driver than wear out a genuine (I press esc a lot). CC's are art and Great work's of art are often imitated duplicated but known to be fake IMHO.

This could also be how the counterfeiter feels. I just see feel they are making a sizable profit off of an identical existing product. 'Vader' is in such small numbers im not sure the same could be said.

I guess there is something to be said about The fact that they have replaced the signature instead of copying that as well... As you said they are clearly marked as a copy. Which is a good thing?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #851 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:35:12 »
Profit is profit.

I think it now has to do more with this guy openly mocking CC and brocaps.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #852 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:37:14 »
Would love to kick some butt, but seems like I don't live in the correct country for that.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #853 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:45:34 »
Profit is profit.

Yeah I guess. There is also the fact of giveaways, which I know for a fact CF has given away 'Vader', so there is no tangible profit there.

I, like others im sure, am inclined not to give a **** if we're talking about profit that IS NOT in hundreds of dollars (edit; EACH BATCH[which look to be quite large in terms of this newest case]).

'Vader' numbers being so small, and them being given away, why would the corporate TM holder even care. But again this is my own interpretation/set of morals.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:53:03 by Lu_e »

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #854 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:54:27 »
This is just flat out disgusting. This is why I tend to avoid dealing with people from Vietnam.
It's really unfortunately that best thing we can do is to hope that he will stop this non sense
but probably not going to happen...  :mad:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #855 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:55:55 »
Profit is profit.

Yeah I guess. There is also the fact of giveaways, which I know for a fact CF has given away 'Vader', so there is no tangible profit there.

I, like others im sure, am inclined not to give a **** if we're talking about profit that IS NOT in hundreds of dollars (edit; EACH BATCH[which look to be quite large in terms of this newest case]).

'Vader' numbers being so small, and them being given away, why would the corporate TM holder even care. But again this is my own interpretation/set of morals.

Gonna need proof on the first claim

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #856 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:46:02 »
Impossible with the secrecy that is Clack Factory!

I guess I shouldn't be so bold in my statement, but I do remember probably the most recent announcement of "someone has joined the darkside" on the CF sub forum. I thought this was a giveaway but I could be mistaken. I dont remember the persons username but I do believe they also posted in the post your clacks thread.

With how often Click Clack Has done giveaways; can you prove to me a single 'vader' HASN'T been given away? :p

I'm not here to berate anyone (in regards to previous posts as well, ok maybe the counterfeiters), I just want to further this discussion in a somewhat civilized manner. If that is even possible :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:50:26 by Lu_e »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #857 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:48:19 »
A little birdy told me our new favorite keymaker is on the job.

Show Image

16.16.16!

:eek:

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #858 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:54:57 »
A little birdy told me our new favorite keymaker is on the job.

Show Image

16.16.16!

Piratecaps? Arrr  :confused:
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #859 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:56:20 »
Would love to kick some butt, but seems like I don't live in the correct country for that.

need a lift?
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #860 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 15:09:24 »
Guys, FYI: I invented saying "lol" on the internet.  I have the copyright, but I'm a generous person, so I let it slide when people use my creation.  I just wish I could get a little attribution.

You can't copyright terms and words, that's what trademarks are for. Trademarks and copyright all have built in exceptions for them that, in the case of something like "yo-yo" (in the case Duncan the original inventor of the term) or in your fictitious example. It's become too generic a term to protect.

Same thing goes with Disney and the Darth Vader copyright:  they don't want to crack down on an enthusiastic fan for promoting their character.  CC is not cutting into Disney's profit margin, so they don't care.

It's probably more likely that they don't know considering how niche the product is. Try contacting Disney about it and see if they'll care then.

Also, CC may have an argument that what he's doing is a "parody", which is okay under copyright law, especially the red Vaders.

That's not a parody. Recoloring something isn't parody, or recreating it in a different medium doesn't automatically make it a parody.

A parody is a work that ridicules another, usually well-known work, by imitating it in a comic way. Judges understand that, by its nature, parody demands some taking from the original work being parodied. Unlike other forms of fair use, a fairly extensive use of the original work is permitted in a parody in order to “conjure up” the original.

Definition from Stanford university.

However, even though I'm sure Disney doesn't give a rat's @ss about CC and his Vader caps, they are worried about losing their copyright, and if they let too many people use it for free, the copyright can actually become part of the public domain, which would hurt their profit margin quite a bit.  So they have to walk a fine line between and losing their copyright protection, but still allowing avid Star Wars (c) fans to continue to be enthusiastic about the Star Wars (c) franchise, which means that they have to allow a certain amount of fan-created items, and even fan fiction.  This in the end helps Disney make even more money by selling more licensed Star Wars (c) merchandise and selling more tickets to the movies.  Lego recently had a similar internal debate, and has recently decided to embrace their fans and their fan-created items, rather than suing them, as they did in the past.

There's a difference between fan works and fan works for sale. A lot of companies are fine with fan works and have opened it. It's a completely different story when money enters the equation like CC selling his vader/darkside/whatever you want to call them caps.

It doesn't matter what Lego believes or claims, their patents and copyrights have all fallen into the public domain. Lego always blusters about trying to pretend as if it still holds anything other than a trademark on the name Lego and a few patents on newer bricks they've invented. They've lost a couple pretty high profile cases in relation to that, and it's not like they have any other choice.

As for CC making Vaders, like I said before, he would probably argue that he made them for his friends as a "parody", which is perfectly legal.

No he's not, see above link.

As for CC trying to protect his own copyright, that is also perfectly understandable and totally correct.  CC's caps are distinctive and well-known, which is exactly the type of thing copyright law was invented to protect.   

Yeah, but if we're to take the behavior of CC in this situation then it it's a bit odd to see CC suddenly a huge vanguard of copyright and keeping his ideas safe. The copy cats are essentially just following his example, and he's not in any place to criticize them until he either admits he made a mistake in producing those caps.

And finally, please don't feel sorry for Disney or George Lucas.  Please remember that Walt Disney was a virulent anti-semite, a racist, and a Nazi sympathizer before WWII (this is all true, look it up).  And as for George Lucas, he stole the idea for his original 1977 Star Wars IV:  A New Hope  from an Akira Kurosawa samurai movie called: The Hidden Fortress.  Lucas did not steal the entire Kurosawa movie, but he did lift a lot of material including the two comedic servants which became the droids.  Other parts of his movie were lifted from other movies, he was like the original Quentin Tarantino.

This is all completely irrelevant, I don't feel sorry for anyone in this situation. I really don't care. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in being up in arms about one thief, but being ok with another. The Star Wars films are hardly original in their plot structures and themes, it's a pretty standard western type film so of course themes will match up but it doesn't make it anymore right what the copy clacks or CC have done.

-----

But if we're doing that; I believe CF has never called the keycap 'vader'. For the record I dont really care about what Bro and CF did (bbv1 & 'vader'), as the product/character never existed before in keycap form. 

It doesn't matter what they're called, they're clearly stealing someone else's product/idea/concept.  You don't have an understanding of what copyright is if you believe not referring to them as Vaders matters. If you're OK with what CF and Brobot did, then you should be fine with what the copycats are doing here.

P3TCOCK, I realize the term 'unrelated product' means near nothing in terms of copyright. But it does mean something in relation to outright copying an existing product, using the existing product as an aid in creation, and selling to the same demographic or market.

That's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm talking about how it's hypocritical to support IP theft (regardless of how big it is) of one thing and then turn around and criticize someone who is essentially doing the same thing. The people making those fake clacks don't market them or label them as real clacks, so it would be perfectly fine if the name is your only concern.

Theres also the possibility this guy is so accustomed to 'asian counterfeiting' , he believes he is doing nothing wrong as hes said "i just like keycap, i could not buy, so i create for myself". This would probably be fine if it was only for himself, but he is SELLING them. Idiot possibly doesn't have the conscious to know how wrong this is. Especially replacing the signature underneath the keycap.

Or hes just playing dumb.

There's nothing right about what he's doing and I've said it isn't, but it's not any different than what CC is doing right now, except it has no 'measurable' damage for everyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to it.

Exactly. Obviously im wasting my time trying to explain morals and having a conscious to copyright law enthusiasts.

There's no reason to use ad hominems, you simply don't understand how copyright works. Others do, and I have gone and pointed it out. I personally don't really care if they're copied or punished or that BB and CC have done so in the past, but I'm simply pointing out  the hypocrisy of supporting one act of copyright infringement regardless of its effect on the parties involved.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:16:28 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #861 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 15:49:52 »
Quit trollin' dawg.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #862 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:05:28 »
this thread moves too fast

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #863 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:29:47 »
P3TCOCK your post is kinda lost in that quote box, and im on mobile, so im gonna copy pasta

"There's nothing right about what he's doing and I've said it isn't, but it's not any different than what CC is doing right now, except it has no 'measurable' damage for everyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to it."

It's a bit different to create a duplicate mold, which is used to create an identical product owned by a small artist vs. constructing a model from portions of existing unrelated molded product owned by a corporation. Maybe not in the "black and white" sense of copyright, but in my personal opinion it is VERY different.

We're even talking about different keycaps ('vader' and skull). One is an original hand sculpted model. that alone makes these cases very different. If it was a 'vader' cap that was copied and sold I would still think it was a derp thing to do, but I would care a lot less.

I do see where you're coming from. You see the existing molded toy, the character, copied into another partially duplicate mold. Adapted into another product yes, but still a partially duplicated mold. Since both products are designed by someone and created into a mold.

But to reiterate; in regards to copying cc's skull, that is an original work, by a small artist that started out as a keycap. so it bothers me and others a whole lot more than copying a character owned by a corporation that didnt start out as a cap.

These are just personal beliefs and everyone is entitled to their own, you don't see things the same way I do and that is fine, at least you do say it isn't right.

One more thing, as has been said with other artistically untalented counterfeiters; they obviously have the means to produce a mediocre product, they should get their own ideas onto keycaps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:36:22 by Lu_e »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #864 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:48:52 »
Guys, FYI: I invented saying "lol" on the internet.  I have the copyright, but I'm a generous person, so I let it slide when people use my creation.  I just wish I could get a little attribution.

You can't copyright terms and words, that's what trademarks are for. Trademarks and copyright all have built in exceptions for them that, in the case of something like "yo-yo" (in the case Duncan the original inventor of the term) or in your fictitious example. It's become too generic a term to protect.

Same thing goes with Disney and the Darth Vader copyright:  they don't want to crack down on an enthusiastic fan for promoting their character.  CC is not cutting into Disney's profit margin, so they don't care.

It's probably more likely that they don't know considering how niche the product is. Try contacting Disney about it and see if they'll care then.

Also, CC may have an argument that what he's doing is a "parody", which is okay under copyright law, especially the red Vaders. 

That's not a parody. Recoloring something isn't parody, or recreating it in a different medium doesn't automatically make it a parody.

A parody is a work that ridicules another, usually well-known work, by imitating it in a comic way. Judges understand that, by its nature, parody demands some taking from the original work being parodied. Unlike other forms of fair use, a fairly extensive use of the original work is permitted in a parody in order to “conjure up” the original.[/qoute]

Definition from Stanford university.

However, even though I'm sure Disney doesn't give a rat's @ss about CC and his Vader caps, they are worried about losing their copyright, and if they let too many people use it for free, the copyright can actually become part of the public domain, which would hurt their profit margin quite a bit.  So they have to walk a fine line between and losing their copyright protection, but still allowing avid Star Wars (c) fans to continue to be enthusiastic about the Star Wars (c) franchise, which means that they have to allow a certain amount of fan-created items, and even fan fiction.  This in the end helps Disney make even more money by selling more licensed Star Wars (c) merchandise and selling more tickets to the movies.  Lego recently had a similar internal debate, and has recently decided to embrace their fans and their fan-created items, rather than suing them, as they did in the past.

There's a difference between fan works and fan works for sale. A lot of companies are fine with fan works and have opened it. It's a completely different story when money enters the equation like CC selling his vader/darkside/whatever you want to call them caps.

It doesn't matter what Lego believes or claims, their patents and copyrights have all fallen into the public domain. Lego always blusters about trying to pretend as if it still holds anything other than a trademark on the name Lego and a few patents on newer bricks they've invented. They've lost a couple pretty high profile cases in relation to that, and it's not like they have any other choice.

As for CC making Vaders, like I said before, he would probably argue that he made them for his friends as a "parody", which is perfectly legal.

No he's not, see above link.

As for CC trying to protect his own copyright, that is also perfectly understandable and totally correct.  CC's caps are distinctive and well-known, which is exactly the type of thing copyright law was invented to protect.   

Yeah, but if we're to take the behavior of CC in this situation then it it's a bit odd to see CC suddenly a huge vanguard of copyright and keeping his ideas safe. The copy cats are essentially just following his example, and he's not in any place to criticize them until he either admits he made a mistake in producing those caps.

And finally, please don't feel sorry for Disney or George Lucas.  Please remember that Walt Disney was a virulent anti-semite, a racist, and a Nazi sympathizer before WWII (this is all true, look it up).  And as for George Lucas, he stole the idea for his original 1977 Star Wars IV:  A New Hope  from an Akira Kurosawa samurai movie called: The Hidden Fortress.  Lucas did not steal the entire Kurosawa movie, but he did lift a lot of material including the two comedic servants which became the droids.  Other parts of his movie were lifted from other movies, he was like the original Quentin Tarantino.

This is all completely irrelevant, I don't feel sorry for anyone in this situation. I really don't care. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in being up in arms about one thief, but being ok with another. The Star Wars films are hardly original in their plot structures and themes, it's a pretty standard western type film so of course themes will match up but it doesn't make it anymore right what the copy clacks or CC have done.

-----

But if we're doing that; I believe CF has never called the keycap 'vader'. For the record I dont really care about what Bro and CF did (bbv1 & 'vader'), as the product/character never existed before in keycap form. 

It doesn't matter what they're called, they're clearly stealing someone else's product/idea/concept.  You don't have an understanding of what copyright is if you believe not referring to them as Vaders matters. If you're OK with what CF and Brobot did, then you should be fine with what the copycats are doing here.

P3TCOCK, I realize the term 'unrelated product' means near nothing in terms of copyright. But it does mean something in relation to outright copying an existing product, using the existing product as an aid in creation, and selling to the same demographic or market.

That's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm talking about how it's hypocritical to support IP theft (regardless of how big it is) of one thing and then turn around and criticize someone who is essentially doing the same thing. The people making those fake clacks don't market them or label them as real clacks, so it would be perfectly fine if the name is your only concern.

Theres also the possibility this guy is so accustomed to 'asian counterfeiting' , he believes he is doing nothing wrong as hes said "i just like keycap, i could not buy, so i create for myself". This would probably be fine if it was only for himself, but he is SELLING them. Idiot possibly doesn't have the conscious to know how wrong this is. Especially replacing the signature underneath the keycap.

Or hes just playing dumb.

There's nothing right about what he's doing and I've said it isn't, but it's not any different than what CC is doing right now, except it has no 'measurable' damage for everyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to it.

Exactly. Obviously im wasting my time trying to explain morals and having a conscious to copyright law enthusiasts.

There's no reason to use ad hominems, you simply don't understand how copyright works. Others do, and I have gone and pointed it out. I personally don't really care if they're copied or punished or that BB and CC have done so in the past, but I'm simply pointing out  the hypocrisy of supporting one act of copyright infringement regardless of its effect on the parties involved.

Disney and DarkVader vs CC? Now I'm confused and think I'm going to forget about this thread and fake CC and this P3TCOCK who my be FAKE as well. Some thing is "rotten in Denmark" I think this is some kind of troll conspiracy or scam job.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:51:59 by MJ45 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #865 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:14:20 »
DARTH VADER NOT DARK VADER.

DARTH VADER OR DARK HELMET

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #866 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:23:50 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #867 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:25:15 »
all i know is, i can't trust CC Skull owners. Only legit owners are Dark Side owners.

we are too legit to quit.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #868 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:29:57 »
all i know is, i can't trust CC Skull owners. Only legit owners are Dark Side owners.

And when kEkc.com starts making Dark Side knock-offs?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #869 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:31:30 »

snipers on stand by

and i believe there aren't that many dark sides out, and it's probably well known who has one and we can probably pin point who is supplying dude to make fakes

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #870 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:46:01 »

snipers on stand by

and i believe there aren't that many dark sides out, and it's probably well known who has one and we can probably pin point who is supplying dude to make fakes

Well, ****, there have been 2 on ebay in the last month already, so your plan might not work. :p
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #871 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:46:50 »
ah ****. gotta milk the legitness until i cant then

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #872 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:24:45 »
Can someone pm me the link, just curious want to have a look, can't find it in the thread.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #873 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:35:14 »

snipers on stand by

Who even knew I had one!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #874 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:18:48 »
DARTH VADER NOT DARK VADER.

DARTH VADER OR DARK HELMET
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #875 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:21:09 »
This thing... ****in lol

O_o "kill me..."

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:25:43 by Lu_e »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #876 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:26:20 »
This thing... ****in lol

O_o "kill me..."

Show Image

good from far but far from good

Offline Paddywagon

« Reply #877 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:47:20 »
Since the evil thief k3kc disabled his facebook comments, I've been content to report the page as a scam. Join in!
https://www.facebook.com/k3kc.shop (for FB idiots like me, it's the "..." button on the main banner, next to like/follow/share)

While all the CC copycats are unimaginative cheats and thieves, this one is beyond intolerable. . . and is report-able!

Spread that good CC karma, stop these horrible little selfish torment weasels from eating CC's soul. =(
Spreading the Clack since 2009

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #878 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:48:49 »
Since the evil thief k3kc disabled his facebook comments, I've been content to report the page as a scam. Join in!
https://www.facebook.com/k3kc.shop (for FB idiots like me, it's the "..." button on the main banner, next to like/follow/share)

While all the CC copycats are unimaginative cheats and thieves, this one is beyond intolerable. . . and is report-able!

Spread that good CC karma, stop these horrible little selfish torment weasels from eating CC's soul. =(

Amen.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #879 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:59:24 »
Reported! Thanks Paddywagon!

Offline Paddywagon

« Reply #880 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:04:41 »

Amen.

Right, because if CC's creative soul is devoured you'd probably starve.
Spreading the Clack since 2009

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #881 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:08:10 »

Amen.

the ****.

this dude didn't need any advertising, all of you are doing it for him.

why didn't people just report this to CC and leave it as is? have him deal with it behind the scenes and not give this dude the attention he wants.

sometimes you dudes do some ass backwards ****
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:10:43 by demik »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #882 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:09:55 »

Amen.

You seem to be pointing your anger in the wrong direction.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #883 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:18:08 »
On the FB report thing there is an option for: "I think it's an unauthorized use of my intellectual property"

But that would be something for CC to do.

Offline brocap.ngu.vai

« Reply #884 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:55:28 »
do not try if you do not understand the rules of FB

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #885 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:56:36 »

Hello Ba Cong Tang Ton Nu

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #886 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:01:25 »

:)) :))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline brocap.ngu.vai

« Reply #887 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:07:16 »

Hello Con Tinh Trung Khuyet Tat

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #888 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:08:47 »

googled this and this popped up

ICEJJFISH

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #889 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:09:58 »

googled this and this popped up

ICEJJFISH

****... you found me out. I am ICEJJFISH :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #890 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:10:45 »
you were great in this!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #891 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:11:37 »
you were great in this!

Thanks, man. That was one of my best performances.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #892 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:15:02 »

you were great in this!

Can you autograph a V2 for me?? I LOVE YOU

Offline brocap.ngu.vai

« Reply #893 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:23:20 »

you were great in this!

If you want, i'll give for you.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #894 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:34:19 »

you were great in this!

If you want, i'll give for you.

Sweet screen mane bruh.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #895 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:40:09 »

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #896 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:41:25 »
I like where this thread is going.
RETIRED

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #897 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 00:22:33 »
never seen a drama that much fun
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #898 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:25:18 »
This topic is getting hot on GH so perhaps I need to write something to express my opinion.
I read all of posts related to the incidence of CC clone in the last few days so I think I can understand a bit of what happening.

Original work from authors
Absolutely, I understand the work from CC/Brobot/Bing/Nubbinator and many other artist are at least the original piece of works. Nobody has the right to clone and copy them. Cloning the original work from the author is just like plagiarism in literature. So we can conclude the work that the little evil genius k3kc is a wrong-doing action.

Action from GeekHackers

I can see there are 4 groups.

The first group is quite professional. As I read, some of you are considering to use legal action and help from the Embassy of USA in Vietnam.

The second group of GeekHackers are quite over-reacted. I know you are young and you treat the clone as a disease, some feel disgusting and raise the issue into the generalization level, something related to China and Vietnam. Some point the finger to the owner of the clone and make them feel guilty as charge. Some are planning to use evil action against them like DDOS attack, report as scam, etc.

The third group of GHers are still calm enough to analyse about the reason why the clones appear and how to prevent them in the future.

The fourth group kept calm and eating pop-corn (yeah, I know you are still eating pop-corn while reading this :D).

At first, I want to join the 4th group. However, I think perhaps I need to write something with a hope that I can help something out here.

Regarding the legal action that the first group proposed, it is good and useful. My company was facing 2 legal cases related to counterfeits in Vietnam. One case related to a trademark from a big cooperation in Netherlands (V*** Group) was used illegal in Vietnam. The other is an attempt to register a similar brand name belongs to a company in Germany. The lawyers from those 2 foreign companies are very powerful but they use a peaceful method to resolve the issue. They write letters to the companies who are violating the brand and explain to them about the ownership of the brand. Everything is settled down nicely. However, this way is only effective on business entity where you can have their VAT number, company registration number. This is hardly applied into individual in Vietnam. It is extremely hard to trace a person in Vietnam and it is even harder if you want the police involved. For example, the email of k3kc is real (k3******@gmail.com) but certainly the name "Ba Cong Tang Ton Nu" that k3kc used to register the domain is fake (or his friend at the best). That doesn't count the fact that he is using a completely different signature on the bottom of the keycap. Therefore, I doubt about this method.

The evil action from the 2nd group proposed is quite extreme and I don't think it may work because it won't solve the root of the issue. Rather, it may lead to more chaotic problem.

I support the solution from 3rd group proposed. Not only we need to find the way to avoid the price inflation of original novelty keycap but we also need to tell what k3kc going is WRONG. Instead, he must use different design. Plus, we also need to educate the community how to treat and value the original work instead of purchasing the copy one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:39:06 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #899 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:43:01 »
P3TCOCK your post is kinda lost in that quote box, and im on mobile, so im gonna copy pasta

Sorry about that, miswrote a tag. Fixed now.

It's a bit different to create a duplicate mold, which is used to create an identical product owned by a small artist vs. constructing a model from portions of existing unrelated molded product owned by a corporation. Maybe not in the "black and white" sense of copyright, but in my personal opinion it is VERY different.

Well the effect on the owner may be different. CC may eventually become a big keycap designer and start producing many more caps for a larger amount of people. It wouldn't make it anymore right in everyone's eyes if people came and stole his designs right? It's the same thing with Disney, and more specifically George Lucas when he first was creating Star Wars.

We also don't have any real estimate of the financial impact of those selling Star Wars products without Disney's permission, so while CC's impact may be microscopic it's part of the greater community of people who infringe on the IP.

We're supposed to all play by the same rules when using copyright, trademark, etc regardless of your wealth or the financial impact of copyright infringement. 

We're even talking about different keycaps ('vader' and skull). One is an original hand sculpted model. that alone makes these cases very different. If it was a 'vader' cap that was copied and sold I would still think it was a derp thing to do, but I would care a lot less.

I do see where you're coming from. You see the existing molded toy, the character, copied into another partially duplicate mold. Adapted into another product yes, but still a partially duplicated mold. Since both products are designed by someone and created into a mold.

One is just more time intensive than the other, other than that it's the same thing. I don't think anyone could mistake the cap for anything, it looks exactly like the standard depiction of Darth Vader down to the details on the mouthpiece.

But to reiterate; in regards to copying cc's skull, that is an original work, by a small artist that started out as a keycap. so it bothers me and others a whole lot more than copying a character owned by a corporation that didnt start out as a cap.

These are just personal beliefs and everyone is entitled to their own, you don't see things the same way I do and that is fine, at least you do say it isn't right.

One more thing, as has been said with other artistically untalented counterfeiters; they obviously have the means to produce a mediocre product, they should get their own ideas onto keycaps.

Yeah, it's obvious there is a different effect but there should be at least some demand from the community for CC to clean up his methods, just like brobot who obviously became aware that using other's designs/ideas wasn't the best idea. If the community is going to be against copy clacks that is.

Disney and DarkVader vs CC? Now I'm confused and think I'm going to forget about this thread and fake CC and this P3TCOCK who my be FAKE as well. Some thing is "rotten in Denmark" I think this is some kind of troll conspiracy or scam job.

Keycap McCarythism; time to investigate anyone who thinks differently than you about novelty keycaps.

Sorry I have a dissenting opinion on the matter. Like I said, I don't really care either way since I will never buy a novelty keycap at the prices they sit at now. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of some of the positions people are taking.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:44:40 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.