Author Topic: How do you feel about 'copycaps'?  (Read 37768 times)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: How do you feel about 'copycaps'?
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 05:34:07 »
As with what do_Og@n said I also feel that this has turned into more of a personal attack on Pacifist at this point, which I don't think is very good, and it upsets me to see people here who I regard quite highly doing things like this and being quite petty, anyway can we all just play a little bit nicer.

Anyway my opinion I actually would like to get one of the blank ones as they look rather nice and I agree with most of you that I wouldn't like him using others peoples ideas, anyway that is what I think personally I don't like the way he's going about putting a public ban list up, it could of been handled better but I also don't like the fact everyone is having a crack at him, that is just my thoughts on this I just want the silly fighting to stop, as I wish everyone here on geekhack in a whole could just get along.

Okay have fun people and play nice.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 06:19:32 »
Added this to OP put posting it here for visibility

EDIT: Just to be clear yes this conversation was inspired by pacifist and the idea of 'giving people what they want' which I understood meant copying existing designs.

This goes beyond pacifist and this thread is not intended for any sort of personal attack but to discuss the general idea that seems to be going around that up and coming cap makers should just make caps that look like existing caps because people will throw money at them.

Yes some people have used lego heads, toy heads etc which can also be seen as a copy cap so that fits in this discussion to.

Ask yourself this, do you think about or do you even care who you throw you money at for a custom keycap?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 06:40:32 »
And in reality most of this conversation could have all been handled through PM's. There is no need to call someone out like this even if that wasn't the threads original intention.

Good luck Pacifist! I can't wait to see what your future keycap casting will bring forth.

Yeah, this. Just be nice to one another, be respectful, and if you have beef just handle it by PM, not by pitchfork.

Quote from: Doogan
Now to get myself a red, flocked IBM spacebar!

Now available at techkeys.us -- the only known place (that I know of) that sells flocked keycaps (that I made). Some exclusions may apply. Offer Not valid in North Korea, California and Vermont. Flocked keycaps are the exclusive intellectual property of KrogEvilCo, Global Unlimited, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Small children and pregnant women should not touch, possess, fondle or directly gaze at flocked keycaps. Known side effects of not purchasing flocked keycaps include (but are not limited to) oily discharge, suicidal thoughts, decreased sexual function, flatulence and irritable bowel syndrome.

Sincerely,

-K. (Shameless Self-Promoter)

EDIT: The flocked keycaps can be found in the 'Artisan' category.
EDIT2: People who deny the potential side effects will be blacklisted as gay holograms on the run from the law, and will be denied purchase.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 06:52:02 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:38:54 »
This basically explains how I feel

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

If you can't sell it on ebay then you shouldn't be allowed to sell it here.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:11:42 »

Who cares about what eBay has to say? They are doing millions hosting independant merchants stores and a money transfer service. If they didn't had this kind of policy they would get sued in the USA by thousands of people.

It's a corporation...

We are particulars on the internet; are laws to be involved between two persons who both agrees on a particular deal?

"Yes, this trade is going so well we should totally ask our countries for their opinions, piss us off, tax us and limit us to policies that have not been updated for years!"

**** off really. If people agrees on a trade, whatever is involved, its their businesses, no one elses.

Just my two words, no offence of course.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:46:35 »
I think you missed the point. You are not allowed to sell replicas or counterfeit goods on ebay. Regardless of taxes or any of the stuff you said.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:42:02 »
then just sell it on etsy

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:52:39 »

Do you think that this should include Clack's Vader and Nubbinator's Clone Trooper then (and probably more)?
RETIRED

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:55:20 »

Do you think that this should include Clack's Vader and Nubbinator's Clone Trooper then (and probably more)?

Due to licensing laws, I do, but it's really not that big of a deal to me.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 14:31:35 »
as exitfire401 brought up the cc vader and nubs clone/storm trooper's is a licensing issue. we are talking about out right counterfeiting someone else's work (one for one copys).

On etsy yes I can create a darth vader _______ and sell it.
they do not allow you to straight copy someone else's work and sell it.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 15:10:19 »
as exitfire401 brought up the cc vader and nubs clone/storm trooper's is a licensing issue. we are talking about out right counterfeiting someone else's work (one for one copys).

On etsy yes I can create a darth vader _______ and sell it.
they do not allow you to straight copy someone else's work and sell it.

What about if it is not the same, but similar. Purely for example:
Pac's Storm Trooper:

Nub's Clone Trooper:

Clearly these are similar, but not one for one copies.
RETIRED

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 19:18:31 »
pac's storm trooper looks like a blob of resin that did not properly set/cure.
It is very hard to tell wtf it is. but you are right they are different.

I do not think that CC is going to like people making candycorn or Julysicle style caps.
We will just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:37:34 by domoaligato »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:10:04 »

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:24:02 »
I do not think that CC is going to like people making candycorn or Julysicle style caps.

Maybe I should keep these sentiments to myself, but he doesn't own those colour schemes. While I would never personally copy the design, if he's not willing to meet the demand for the product he can hardly complain when someone steps in to fill the void. I've been on GH a year now and have yet to make it into any sale and have spent money acquiring after-market keycaps while I watch the same few people piling up massive collections of Clacks and Brobots because they get hand-picked when these sales and giveaways happen. I would rather see the money I spent on my Oktoberfest and Candy Corn clacks go into the maker's pockets, but I've never been granted the privilege of purchasing directly from the maker for any keycap but Binge (ps, my girlfriend loves her Keythulu), and that took a great deal of effort.

If these artisan keycap crafters don't want copycat products on the market then either increase the volume of production or the retail ask price so that the money is going into your pockets and not someone profiteering from the limited availability of the caps in question. Still waiting on my first Brobot or Clack skull, while I see things I submitted for in these sales being flipped before they even arrive in the mail.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:32:45 by Dyslexic »
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:30:01 »

Maybe I should keep these sentiments to myself, but he doesn't own those colour schemes. While I would never personally copy the design, if he's not willing to meet the demand for the product he can hardly complain when someone steps in to fill the void. I've been on GH a year now and have yet to make it into any sale and have spent money acquiring after-market keycaps while I watch the same few people piling up massive collections of Clacks and Brobots because they get hand-picked when these sales happen. I would rather see the money I spent on my Oktoberfest and Candy Corn clacks go into the maker's pockets, but I've never been granted the privilege of purchasing directly from the maker for any keycap but Binge (ps, my girlfriend loves her Keythulu), and that took a great deal of effort.

If these artisan keycap crafters don't want copycat products on the market then either increase the volume of production or the retail ask price so that the money is going into your pockets and not someone profiteering from the limited availability of the caps in question. Still waiting on my first Brobot or Clack skull, while I see things I submitted for in these sales being flipped before they even arrive in the mail.

A lot of cap makers want their product to be limited, and exclusive so their more "special" in a sense, so that when people trade them and not re-sell them for profit, which many artisians (key cap makers), frown upon, it's just so that each cap is special and unique
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:35:09 »

Maybe I should keep these sentiments to myself, but he doesn't own those colour schemes. While I would never personally copy the design, if he's not willing to meet the demand for the product he can hardly complain when someone steps in to fill the void. I've been on GH a year now and have yet to make it into any sale and have spent money acquiring after-market keycaps while I watch the same few people piling up massive collections of Clacks and Brobots because they get hand-picked when these sales happen. I would rather see the money I spent on my Oktoberfest and Candy Corn clacks go into the maker's pockets, but I've never been granted the privilege of purchasing directly from the maker for any keycap but Binge (ps, my girlfriend loves her Keythulu), and that took a great deal of effort.

A lot of cap makers want their product to be limited, and exclusive so their more "special" in a sense, so that when people trade them and not re-sell them for profit, which many artisians (key cap makers), frown upon, it's just so that each cap is special and unique

I understand the limited availability, what I don't understand is the holier-than-thou looking down on the second hand market. No one wants to pay the kind of money being asked for these caps on the classifieds, it's the only option to acquire them short of kissing ass long enough that they recognize your name in a sale or you end up on a dibs list. I'm not going to pretend that I've done anything to contribute to this community that would warrant that kind of favoritism, but don't complain that people flip your product when you limit their availability to the point where hitting send the second the sale begins is still a crap-shoot as to whether you're going to get in. They created these conditions, they don't get to complain that an inflated after-market exists for their products.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:41:49 »
Caps take considerable time to make.  I typically spend anywhere from 45 minutes to 6 hours on a cap, depending on the resin or resins used.  You can help mitigate some of that time cost by making multiple molds, but production is always limited by time in artisan crafts.  Artisan craft, by its very definition, is going to be limited in production size since artisan crafts are a cottage industry.

In short, increasing production is difficult, can be costly, and, if you're not careful, can result in an excess of supply and a dearth of demand, meaning you effectively price yourself out of the market.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:48:12 »
Caps take considerable time to make.  I typically spend anywhere from 45 minutes to 6 hours on a cap, depending on the resin or resins used.  You can help mitigate some of that time cost by making multiple molds, but production is always limited by time in artisan crafts.  Artisan craft, by its very definition, is going to be limited in production size since artisan crafts are a cottage industry.

In short, increasing production is difficult, can be costly, and, if you're not careful, can result in an excess of supply and a dearth of demand, meaning you effectively price yourself out of the market.

I'm a Financial Analyst by trade, I understand the basics of supply, demand and cost accounting. I'm not telling anyone how to go about their business, but they don't get to complain when other people step in to fill the void from the supply side. If their competitors' products are that inferior, they have nothing to worry about. If they're not, you don't get to ***** that someone is selling caps to people when you refuse to produce more. I have literally a half dozen e-mails with lists of keycaps I wanted in sales, none of which were fulfilled. Between Brocaps, Clack Factory and Bingecaps, they've left hundreds of dollars on the table collectively, and that's just me.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, I do not in any way advocate lifting unique designs from other artisans to meet demand. I would never purchase a counterfeit Brocap, Bingecap or Clack Skull. But Stormtroopers, Optimus Prime and blanks with colour patterns are hardly defensible as the artisans don't own the image/design in the first place.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:56:11 by Dyslexic »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:55:22 »

I'm a Financial Analyst by trade, I understand the basics of supply, demand and cost accounting. I'm not telling anyone how to go about their business, but they don't get to complain when other people step in to fill the void from the supply side. If their competitors products are that inferior, they have nothing to worry about. If they're not, you don't get to ***** that someone is selling caps to people when you refuse to produce more. I have literally a half dozen e-mails with lists of keycaps I wanted in sales, none of which were fulfilled. Between Brocaps, Clack Factor and Bingecaps, they've left hundreds of dollars on the table collectively, and that's just me.

Don't exactly know why you feel people are being 'hand picked', but your information is incorrect. This isn't a full-time job for me, it's a hobby. I don't have time to pump out parts all day, every day. I wouldn't want that in any case. I do this for fun, and because people enjoy and appreciate my work. Just because you didn't get into a sale, doesn't give you the right to make assumptions about all the keycap makers on this forum. If you lack patience, then this hobby isn't for you. Because that's what it takes. There's limited parts because I can't make more, there's no conspiracy here (hue).

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:59:57 »

I'm a Financial Analyst by trade, I understand the basics of supply, demand and cost accounting. I'm not telling anyone how to go about their business, but they don't get to complain when other people step in to fill the void from the supply side. If their competitors products are that inferior, they have nothing to worry about. If they're not, you don't get to ***** that someone is selling caps to people when you refuse to produce more. I have literally a half dozen e-mails with lists of keycaps I wanted in sales, none of which were fulfilled. Between Brocaps, Clack Factor and Bingecaps, they've left hundreds of dollars on the table collectively, and that's just me.

Don't exactly know why you feel people are being 'hand picked', but your information is incorrect. This isn't a full-time job for me, it's a hobby. I don't have time to pump out parts all day, every day. I wouldn't want that in any case. I do this for fun, and because people enjoy and appreciate my work. Just because you didn't get into a sale, doesn't give you the right to make assumptions about all the keycap makers on this forum. If you lack patience, then this hobby isn't for you. Because that's what it takes. There's limited parts because I can't make more, there's no conspiracy here (hue).

I'm hardly claiming any kind of tin-foil hat situation, I've noticed in my year here that the same few people consistently acquire a number of new Brobots and Clacks very regularly, some of the same few names make it in sale after sale. Whether through the dibs process (which does exist for clack) or sheer dumb luck, or trading their pre-existing collections amongst the networks they've established. It's very hard to break into this market, especially if the caps you've acquired are ones you intend to keep, so "frowning on the secondary market" is laughable because frankly it's been my only option to date. I would much rather that the person who did the work got my money (including any aftermarket markups). I think being a part of the community and not *****ing about my lack of fortune in these sales until now is patience. I will continue to hope I get into one of your sales, I think your products are truly fantastic.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:02:18 by Dyslexic »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:09:06 »

I'm hardly claiming any kind of tin-foil hat situation, I've noticed in my year here that the same few people consistently acquire a number of new Brobots and Clacks very regularly, some of the same few names make it in sale after sale. Whether through the dibs process (which does exist for clack) or sheer dumb luck, or trading their pre-existing collections amongst the networks they've established. It's very hard to break into this market, especially if the caps you've acquired are ones you intend to keep, so "frowning on the secondary market" is laughable because frankly it's been my only option to date. I would much rather that the person who did the work got my money (including any aftermarket markups). I think being a part of the community and not *****ing about my lack of fortune in these sales until now is patience. I will continue to hope I get into one of your sales, I think your products are truly fantastic.
You have to realize that these sales are conducted through email and they sell out in seconds, and it isn't exactly the easiest thing to get your email sent the literal second the sale starts. The type of internet you have, the distance you are to the seller, and the email service you are using should all have an impact on if you get in. I would say that the people that win every single time have simply figured out the best way to do so.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:15:35 »
You have to realize that these sales are conducted through email and they sell out in seconds, and it isn't exactly the easiest thing to get your email sent the literal second the sale starts. The type of internet you have, the distance you are to the seller, and the email service you are using should all have an impact on if you get in. I would say that the people that win every single time have simply figured out the best way to do so.

I'm afraid we're getting a bit off topic here. This isn't about me, I do not claim to know how to best conduct business as an artisan keycap maker, and I would never presume to tell them how to run their business. My lack of luck is what it is, I don't fault Bro because I have yet to get into a sale. I was merely pointing out that given the existing constraints on the supply, that "frowning on secondary markets" and criticizing people for flipping these caps or trying to fill the void comes off pretty lame. This is coming from someone who absolutely does not participate in this market for profit. Any keycaps I've acquired are either on my keyboard or flipped for the price I paid, which was retail for the gasmasks that came into my possession. I've yet to own a Clack Skull or Bro, much less flip them for profit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:24:02 »
It's become clear there are many people capable of producing different variations of custom artisan caps here on geekhack.

So from the OP

Ask yourself this, do you think about or do you even care who you throw you money at for a custom keycap?

Personally I've followed nubs and binge specifically ever since I can remember them making caps if I buy there caps its part because I like the cap and part because of a perceived 'bond' if you will to who they are and why they make caps.

Like Bro mentioned he makes caps for the fun of it and because he knows people enjoy them, I think this is a common theme for many cap makers but I can't say it is for all of them.

Some cap makers attempt to push the envelope just to see what they can make using different materials, methods etc.

What part does who the actual artisan is making the cap play into all this?

Does it matter what a persons motivations are?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:35:01 »
I know, back on topic.

I think that if the product isn't the keycap makers own original design in the first place, there is no problem with people copying it if I am honest.

Let me just make up a scenario. If someone took zoidbergs (futurama) head and put it on a keycap, I do not see a problem with that. And if someone else came along and put a similar zoidberg head on a different keycap I see nothing wrong with that. And I find it very hard to say that the first person has any right to question or punish the 2nd person UNLESS the 2nd person literally took the first persons keycap and made an exact replica out of it. In my opinion, it takes much less talent to put an already existing design on top of a keycap than making a design from scratch.

Just look at all of the iron man keycaps out there, they are all different designs of the same thing, but none of those people who are making those keycaps actually designed ironman. If you understand me. So NONE of them, not even the first person to do so should be able to claim the design as their own.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:39:30 »
What part does who the actual artisan is making the cap play into all this?

Does it matter what a persons motivations are?

I personally think the maker does somewhat play into this, a they should have the right to say if they want someone making copies of a key, although I don't think unless mistaken they should be able to do this on colours, such as the well known candy corn key, for me this is a bit a of a grey area as its only a blank key coloured as it is but if someone where to do the same is that a copy of the candy corn or just another blank key with the same pattern? just my musing on that is a blank key that has the same pattern as a candy corn, a candy corn copy or is it a blank?

As for the second question personally I don't care much for the motivations if I like the key I like the key, even if it turns out the maker is evil or so on, sure its nice to know the keymaker is doing it for fun/enjoyment but I don't personally care too much even if they are in it solely for the profit, I would mind too much if I like the key but thats just me, as long as it looks pretty I don't care.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline osi

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:41:28 »
If something is popular and is making money -- someone, somewhere will make a counterfeit or look-alike version.

For example, let's look at Coach brand handbags. Bootlegs can be purchased for much cheaper than that real deal and sometimes take an expert's eye to discern true from fake. There is a HUGE market for non genuine products like this. The US actively tries to fight counterfeiting busting up flea markets, storage containers, and doing thorough border inspections to find counterfeit goods. Coach handbags are just one example.

Could Coach be losing some market share to fake goods? Sure but they are still making plenty of money. Hell, you could even go as far to say that people toting around fake bags are free marketing for the real brand. This example applies to larger brands that can absorb the losses easier than say an Artisan here at geekhack. Also, the market for keyboards is a niche market and even further, the keycap market is even more niche.

Generally, we all can look at a cap and have the confidence to say certainty, "This is a binge" or "This is a Bro". So all of a sudden, a few similar caps start popping up, artisans could potentially lose customers. In this case, Artisans lose money and customers will have potentially sub par caps.

I'm all in for welcoming new Artisans but blatant attempts to craft caps with previously released popular color schemes/models I feel is disrespectful and a slap in the face to the original artisan. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this is cool if you are experimenting on your own and want to make a few caps for yourself or possibly give a few out to your friends.

Guys, we ARE the community AND the market and it is up to us to protect it! There is good reason why Clacks and Bros are popular. If these Artisan's flooded the market with their product, demand would decrease. The same would happen if copy caps entered the market.

"But Bros and Clacks completely sell out every sale!! I can't ever get in!!". First off, cry me a river. The events have short announcement to sale windows but they are plenty visible, especially if you are a geekhack user. Secondly, these are quality caps produced in limited quantity--not everyone can be fortunate enough to make a sale. Sorry, that's just how any collector's market is.

If I were crafting a cap, to even have only 1 thought of "damn this cap looks similar to so and so" would be enough to deter the design. Any self respecting artist, I'd hope, would agree with me here.

COPYCAPS

66477-0

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:51:17 »

+1

Depending on the material it can take a very long time to create each artisan keycap.
I am going to use nubbs latest creation as a example....

This is 4 different colors of resin. each taking anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours to cure fully.

I have tried many different types of resin and at the moment my average time to create one single simple keycap is:

silicon mold in 2 parts =
first part = 4 hours cure time + 4 hours post cure time
second = same amount of time as the first so 8 hours

16 hours total for mold creation just in curing.
add a extra 1/2 hour to prep the part and create the mold box and other stuff

16.5 hours in molding total.

each casting pour takes 4 hours + 6 hours of post curing @ room temp then 6 hours post cure @ 150F
This = 16 hours for a single casting pour.

So in the end I am spending 32.5 hours per keycap if I have to create the mold.
after this it is 16 hours each time to create a new keycap.

If nubbs is using materials anywhere near what I am using then that is 64 hours to create one 4 shot keycap...

:eek:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:41:20 »
@Dyslexic - Hey man I am really happy there is some love for the keythulhus, and even more happy you are able to own one of my caps.  Please do not take what I'm about to say as a personal attack, but I want you to understand that people make markets out of art because markets exist.  Because of the society we live in the act of creating and the ethics behind it are based in supply and demand.  There is an outcry for respect to be given to artists because at the end of the day their art is undervalued because... well, everyone's an artist man.  What makes your crappy hand movements more valuable than mine?  It's all subjective right?

There is something that is lost to most folks that I've had to live with my whole life.  In my time I produce what others consider to be art, I want it to be art, and it is still a use of my time where I've learned to put my heart into this work.  Nobody can quantify how much I love a piece, and I can't put a price on it.  One in my position learns to price things so they don't starve doing what they love.

The last part I mentioned is selling out.  I've been told a 'true' artist doesn't do it for money.  I find that to be a crock of ****.  That's a way that people create internal value so they can keep doing what they love and become immune to the 'everyone else' whom often say that anyone can make that with the right set of skills.

I see it as a way an artist respects their effort and work if the work is exchanged for goods/services/cash.  It is proof that the work is life-blood and precious time.  In this world of supply and demand the artist is taking something precious, slapping value on it, and now the world sees it through the filter of supply and demand.

This is not how the artist FEELS about the issue.  When someone letter for letter knows what makes your product work, what makes it valuable, and how to make you less successful there is an attack on the supply and demand (value) and the feelings of the artist.  Outwardly stating one intends to undervalue their own time in order to bring down the oppressive corrupt crafters is a load of horse ****.  They just want people to give them money for a candy corn colored key.  It doesn't matter how much people want it there is not the love, feeling, or concept that birthed the piece on the first place.

Imagine there is someone who had a great idea, and later someone wants to have been the person who designed that great idea.  One person has feelings, positive ones, which caused them to persist create the design in the first place, and then there is the other who either doesn't care and likes candy corn colors on a key or truly wants to be recognized for their 'achievement' in reproducing that effect.  That sort of relationship is hard to quantify but one thing is certain... the originator had market presence, and the other person used them as a vehicle to gain market presence.

Being used is a bit of a *****.  I feel as though my words are twisted about in a sick game of whisper down the lane when it has come to my thoughts on crafting and being an artist.  It's taken YEARS to feel like I have real reasons for staying with this emotionally sordid and splendid hobby (being an artist).  I believe I can sort out the folks who would rather be recognized for their own efforts and those who more often seek to be recognized for the efforts they best mimic.  There's a third kind of individual and that is the person 'filling market demand'.

Filling market demand has no roots in the artists community, but trust me when I've heard the words, "If you compete and succeed as an artist, you can count on baseline market competition."  It's hard for me to try and determine who is more deserving of the fumes, stains, and time in a day spent making keys when there are people entitled to filling market demand and on the other hand people who found something that makes them happy.  Why should I even feel like my efforts are strong enough to fight this lack of respect for artists' work by people who deserve to eat?  I don't really know for sure what words or actions could justify any of my feelings with regard to fairness, but I can say for certain that I abhor any action from crafter, customer, or the market which emotionally compromises the artist and their work.  My disgust is not confined to copycaps but to a lesser extent carries out to aftermarket sale of keycaps marked up from retail.  If you feel the art you bought doesn't suit you... then sell it at the right price so someone can enjoy the piece or even better, trade it.

Forgive me for rambling and forgive me for singling you out.  I feel as though you got to own something I created which humbles me and empowers me to find passion in this work.  If someone else made a key specifically to prevent me from being the source of keythulhus I would be devastated.  You understand this to some extent, and so some of my words will reach you.  This is the best I can do as someone with greater ability to sculpt, draw, and work with my hands than to write to speak about how I believe folks with similar passions feel and how it affects the beautiful things that eventually make it to you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:14:50 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:09:44 »
I actually really, really appreciate your response Binge. I definitely mentioned previously that lifting original designs is something I absolutely would not support, but you also have a great point about being innovative and then having people stand on your shoulders, so to speak. As for myself, here's hoping I get an opportunity to round out my girlfriend's Ducky with more of your lovely work in the near future. :) This was merely the perspective of an appreciator of the work that's out there and some of the frustrations I encounter with trying to build a small collection myself.

Offline feizor

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 20:19:56 »
I actually really, really appreciate your response Binge. I definitely mentioned previously that lifting original designs is something I absolutely would not support, but you also have a great point about being innovative and then having people stand on your shoulders, so to speak. As for myself, here's hoping I get an opportunity to round out my girlfriend's Ducky with more of your lovely work in the near future. :) This was merely the perspective of an appreciator of the work that's out there and some of the frustrations I encounter with trying to build a small collection myself.

You're gonna have some competition for those keythulhus mate. They are my favorite binge cap  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 21:41:46 »
* Binge makes some more keythulhu molds.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 23:16:35 »
* domoaligato makes some more pyrocaps, while *****ing about my 2 part molds still having issues. :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 23:30:18 »
* HoffmanMyster moves to a place where he is more able to make his own keycaps.   :eek:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 23:34:05 »
* esoomenona whargarbl

Offline tbc

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 04:00:42 »

You're gonna have some competition for those keythulhus mate. They are my favorite binge cap  :thumb:

all yall need to stay away from my blue translucent and gold keythulhus :p
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:21:00 »

While I've seen Bro give caps to "Broless Bros" and due to several conversations with a few OG members, I do agree that that the illusion certain members get priority on sales is most likely false (many have pictures of collections not in their possessions or have been lurking a LONG time). I would still beg you to be a bit objective 'Bro'.

The man is admiring your work and is literally frustrated because he WANTS to support you but is forced to support a secondary market or re-seller. While I do not agree with some of his points, taking a humble approach to embrace a member who wants to be a collector which drives your business is not only best for the discussion, but best for the community. Even if I don't agree, I for one admire anyone who posts their genuine opinion instead of just 1 upping posts and brown nosing the top artisans. These are obviously genuine concerns and I can confirm (from others) he is not the only one who thinks there are people getting priority. If that is something you don't give a damn about, then so be it. I just don't think it's best to jump down the man's throat because he is voicing himself. Personally, I don't think anything he said was offensive.

ON TOPIC: I am not in favor of people copying original work and the only way I see a cap of an IP someone else already made a cap of being admissible is if it is done a different way. As for plain caps with color combinations, I think that is fair game.  However, it is still a heavily grey area and should be handled on a case to case basis.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:24:29 by OnTheBrink »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:24:06 »

While I've seen Bro give caps to "Broless Bros" and due to several conversations with a few OG members, I do agree that that the illusion certain members get priority on sales is most likely false (many have pictures of collections not in their possessions or have been lurking a LONG time). I would still beg you to be a bit objective 'Bro'.

The man is admiring your work and is literally frustrated because he WANTS to support you but is forced to support a secondary market or re-seller. While I do not agree with some of his points, taking a humble approach to embrace a member who wants to be a collector which drives your business is not only best for the discussion, but best for the community. Even if I don't agree, I for one admire anyone who posts their genuine opinion instead of just 1 upping posts and brown nosing the top artisans. These are obviously genuine concerns and I can confirm (from others) he is not the only one who thinks there are people getting priority. If that is something you don't give a damn about, then so be it. I just don't think it's best to jump down the man's throat because he is voicing himself. Personally, I don't think anything he said was offensive.

ON TOPIC: I am not in favor of people copying original work and the only way I see a cap of an IP someone else already made a cap of being admissible is if it is done a different way. As for plain caps with color combinations, I think that is fair game but also on a case by case basis. Either way, it is still a heavily grey areas in my opinion.

Sorry, but how am I not being 'objective'? I was simply addressing his concerns with the actual facts. Please don't make assumptions about my supposed 'attitude' written in text form.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:35:16 »

ON TOPIC: I am not in favor of people copying original work and the only way I see a cap of an IP someone else already made a cap of being admissible is if it is done a different way. As for plain caps with color combinations, I think that is fair game but also on a case by case basis. Either way, it is still a heavily grey areas in my opinion.

Sorry, but how am I not being 'objective'? I was simply addressing his concerns with the actual facts. Please don't make assumptions about my supposed 'attitude' written in text form.

There is nothing assumptive about you using the words "conspiracy" and "you don't get the right to". Also, suggesting he doesn't have patience is quite the opposite of being objective.

But please let me know what attitude you have in this message because from where I'm sitting it sounds like you're being quite the pompous.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:36:47 by OnTheBrink »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:42:03 »

There is nothing assumptive about you using the words "conspiracy" and "you don't get the right to". Also, suggesting he doesn't have patience is quite the opposite of being objective.

Assumptions:
If that is something you don't give a damn about, then so be it.

jump down the man's throat

taking a humble approach

Your assumptions are that you feel I have an attitude about it, but just the opposite - I want to make it clear that he isn't correct, as well as offer information and insight as to why.

And it's absolutely about patience. If a person has the patience, then 'frustration' wouldn't come into play. There's only so many cap makers and caps to go around. And there are a lot more people that want them than we can provide for. I don't think you are getting that point here. In any case, I hope I gave enough info here for those who were concerned.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:47:26 »
We are the 99%

amirite

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:47:29 »

Assumptions:

taking a humble approach

Your assumptions are that you feel I have an attitude about it, but just the opposite - I want to make it clear that he isn't correct, as well as offer information and insight as to why.

And it's absolutely about patience. If a person has the patience, then 'frustration' wouldn't come into play. There's only so many cap makers and caps to go around. And there are a lot more people that want them than we can provide for. I don't think you are getting that point here. In any case, I hope I gave enough info here for those who were concerned.

Exactly this. Patience is key. I went 12+ sales without ever getting in, then got in twice in 1 week. Anybody that thinks it's about anything other than luck (unless you're in a dibs sale) is a little ridiculous.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:55:40 »

Assumptions:

taking a humble approach

You're right, I did sound a bit assumptive there and for that I apologize. I didn't mean to accuse you personally of anything and I actually agree with you. I thought I made that clear but rereading I can see where I was a bit patronizing and accusatory. What I meant by not jumping down his throat was that I felt he had good intentions and concerns even though they read differently as I use to feel a similar way before things were explained to me.

When I said "if it is something you don't give a damn about" I also was not trying to accuse you but meant generally.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:57:43 »

You're right, I did sound a bit assumptive there and for that I apologize. I didn't mean to accuse you personally of anything and I actually agree with you. I thought I made that clear but rereading I can see where I was a bit patronizing and accusatory. What I meant by not jumping down his throat was that I felt he had good intentions and concerns even though they read differently as I use to feel a similar way before things were explained to me.

When I said "if it is something you don't give a damn about" I also was not trying to accuse you but meant generally.

Believe me when I say, I wish I could do this:

Unfortunately, I cannot. But if you watch my artisan forum, you will see that I generally try to ensure that even after a sale, that people who didn't make it in get a shot at later sales and events. I do as much as I can to ensure as many can enjoy my stuff as possible.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:59:50 »

Show Image

I mean...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:06:44 »
I generally try to ensure that even after a sale, that people who didn't make it in get a shot at later sales and events. I do as much as I can to ensure as many can enjoy my stuff as possible.

So that means I automatically get a brocap next sale then since I sent my fauxluminum e-mail at 11:00 on the dot, right? Right.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:09:51 »
I generally try to ensure that even after a sale, that people who didn't make it in get a shot at later sales and events. I do as much as I can to ensure as many can enjoy my stuff as possible.

So that means I automatically get a brocap next sale then since I sent my fauxluminum e-mail at 11:00 on the dot, right? Right.

FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:10:00 »

Show Image

Unfortunately, I cannot. But if you watch my artisan forum, you will see that I generally try to ensure that even after a sale, that people who didn't make it in get a shot at later sales and events. I do as much as I can to ensure as many can enjoy my stuff as possible.

Oh for sure. I've seen you give Bro's to "Broless Bros" quite a few times. But being a huge fan of your caps especially and still not having one, I can sympathize with the some of the frustration which is why I was quick to try and remind you how much we not only want your work but how much we want to support it as well. But that definitely all came out wrong.  :(

At the same time, the same way you want to give BroBots to everyone is kind of like how I want all the fans to know everything isn't as it seems and wish they could really realize how tough it is on the artisans too. Downright stressful I'm sure for you guys. It sure as hell made things easier for me and it helped me become A LOT more patient when it came to the hard to get stuff. It took me a really long time to get my first cap but IT DID happen.

But perhaps I am best letting people figure that out through you guys as I did, lol.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:10:08 »

Yeah with that sort of an attitude I'm sure he'll help you right out. **** you're annoying.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:12:27 »

Yeah with that sort of an attitude I'm sure he'll help you right out. **** you're annoying.

FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:14:48 »