Author Topic: GMK DOLCH [COMPLETE]  (Read 2122367 times)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Re: GMK DOLCH [taking orders]
« Reply #450 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 03:25:28 »

Thx CK Briefs.

Lol it's weird when people call me a garment of clothing

But I guess that's my username
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #451 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 03:45:43 »

Thx CK Briefs.
Lol it's weird when people call me a garment of clothing

But I guess that's my username

:P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #452 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:02:38 »
I prefer Bonds ...

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #453 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:45:35 »
I didn't realise that this was an underwear GB.

I'm not complaining.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #454 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 06:34:09 »
I didn't realise that this was an underwear GB.

I'm not complaining.

It's always good to see some 'jiggling' occurring here on Geekhack  :thumb: .

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #455 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 01:03:17 »
Just got in on this GB. Glad I caught this one.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:10:38 »
Same! This is exciting!

Offline Battou62

« Reply #457 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 08:15:40 »
F*ck it, I'm in :) I want to see this GB gather some more steam people :)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #458 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:33:09 »
We are only 26 base sets away from MOQ!

Minus some last minute cancelations we only need another ~50 orders. It's looking really good!

I am so happy that we finally will suceed with a GMK GB for a full set.

Thanks for not giving up Ivan! I really appreciate all the work you put into your GMK GBs in the last couple of months  :thumb:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #459 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:37:01 »
We are only 26 base sets away from MOQ!

Minus some last minute cancelations we only need another ~50 orders. It's looking really good!

I am so happy that we finally will suceed with a GMK GB for a full set.

Thanks for not giving up Ivan! I really appreciate all the work you put into your GMK GBs in the last couple of months  :thumb:

It's becoming real!  Woop!

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:44:26 »
Yeah, seriously. Thanks for all your effort, Ivan. Organizing these GBs looks like a ton of effort.

Offline acalora

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:45:24 »
Does anyone know how this will compare to the originative set that's currently sold out? And also are there any dolch sets that have the "caps lock" and "tab" printed on the keys rather than the symbols on this GB?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #462 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:57:03 »
You guys make it happen more than I do!

This set is same as originative's Dolch set barring the legend differences. You can always hunt down an original Dolch PAC unit as well if you want the US style modifier legends.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #463 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 16:21:15 »
I'm "" this close to ordering the Dolch Base just to get the number-only tenkeys. Very tempting.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #464 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 16:24:53 »
I'm "" this close to ordering the Dolch Base just to get the number-only tenkeys. Very tempting.

If you just need a numberpad set I could help you out. Of course that won't help out the group buy any :P

Offline korrelate

« Reply #465 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 16:30:56 »
Thanks for the offer Spamray. QQ: does your TK set have the numbers-only legends? I.e. no arrows and no Home/PgUp/PgDN/ENd legends? I've already got a full set with the dual legends on the TKs.

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline GSimon

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 16:33:47 »
Just placed another order for the set + extras. Oh man...fingers crossed for universal spacebar, can manage without though.

Offline acalora

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:35:05 »
Alright, someone convince me to buy these. I've got the money, just can't seem to bite the bullet.

Offline avtar

« Reply #468 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:36:05 »
Do it.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #469 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:40:59 »
Do it now, because if you don't, you will just feel dumb and end up overpaying on the classifieds. Plus if you really don't like them, you'll have no problem selling them.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline avtar

« Reply #470 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:42:01 »
^ This. And do it.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #471 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:47:19 »
It's probably THE most coveted keyset of all time. There will be tons of people clamoring for second chances after this ends, don't be one of them.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #472 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:53:52 »
Alright, someone convince me to buy these. I've got the money, just can't seem to bite the bullet.
Buy it + wait for the Dolch drought = trade for BroCap/CC!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline acalora

« Reply #473 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:02:29 »
This will be my second keyset purchase, so I'll likely use them on my filco for a while before even thinking about reselling them. And the fact that they're GMK makes it a much more solid set. What do you guys think of the $15 tai hao dolch set GB right now?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #474 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:05:57 »
This will be my second keyset purchase, so I'll likely use them on my filco for a while before even thinking about reselling them. And the fact that they're GMK makes it a much more solid set. What do you guys think of the $15 tai hao dolch set GB right now?
I wouldn't waste my time... But! That's just me.
quality over quantity
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #475 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:08:40 »
Thanks for the offer Spamray. QQ: does your TK set have the numbers-only legends? I.e. no arrows and no Home/PgUp/PgDN/ENd legends? I've already got a full set with the dual legends on the TKs.

Cheers,

K

Its whatever originative sold

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:18:10 »

Ordered 3 sets of that (and might order more), 1 set of this.

Why?

Can't really justify more than one GMK Dolch (with thick IMSTO dyesubs and two thick blank PBTs from Ivan's last GB), but the TaiHao sets can always go on any board I build that I don't desire as an extremely "high quality" board (basically, a board that's not a custom board).
Additionally, if I ever find that I just have one or two sitting around, I plan on just selling at around GB price - it's cheap (and looks nice enough) that people getting into mechanical keyboards or people who just happened to miss the GB would want to buy it anyways.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 22:57:42 »

Why?

Can't really justify more than one GMK Dolch (with thick IMSTO dyesubs and two thick blank PBTs from Ivan's last GB), but the TaiHao sets can always go on any board I build that I don't desire as an extremely "high quality" board (basically, a board that's not a custom board).
Additionally, if I ever find that I just have one or two sitting around, I plan on just selling at around GB price - it's cheap (and looks nice enough) that people getting into mechanical keyboards or people who just happened to miss the GB would want to buy it anyways.

IMSTO ≠ GMK. I would't consider IMSTO's caps as high quality caps as GMK, but that's just me. (And Ivan's PBT set is made by IMSTO BTW.)
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 23:11:19 »

Why?

IMSTO ≠ GMK. I would't consider IMSTO's caps as high quality caps as GMK, but that's just me. (And Ivan's PBT set is made by IMSTO BTW.)

Does GMK make pbt too? And also, I believe the black set was made by plum, which actually even makes me a little more dubious about its quality, but my point is that I already have some nice quality sets on the way and here, and have dropped a good chunk of money on keyboard paraphernalia. Taihao set doesn't dent my wallet nearly as much as these do.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 23:15:34 »

Why?

Does GMK make pbt too? And also, I believe the black set was made by plum, which actually even makes me a little more dubious about its quality, but my point is that I already have some nice quality sets on the way and here, and have dropped a good chunk of money on keyboard paraphernalia. Taihao set doesn't dent my wallet nearly as much as these do.

I don't think GMK makes PBT. And you are right. IMSTO gets blank caps from Plum (except the DESKO/Russian group buy) and he does the dye-sub part. What caps you should get depends on how much money you would like to spend on keyboard. That's very true.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline skuko

« Reply #480 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 04:21:09 »
i will jump in on this, but only if

1. the GMK orders are shipped from germany within the EU (which i think is unlikely unless Ivan has a eu proxy)

or

2. the package is declared a low value

it's really crappy to have to pay VAT and import taxes almost the same amount as the set price :X

just typing this because this is probably the biggest downside of buying stuff from SP and i want to avoid that in the future...

care to comment ivan?

thanks

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #481 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 05:10:01 »

1. the GMK orders are shipped from germany within the EU (which i think is unlikely unless Ivan has a eu proxy)

or

it's really crappy to have to pay VAT and import taxes almost the same amount as the set price :X

just typing this because this is probably the biggest downside of buying stuff from SP and i want to avoid that in the future...

care to comment ivan?

thanks

Edit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 03:17:21 by gigibecali »
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 05:58:34 »
Edited my post in case some customs people browse Geekhack  ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 12:42:16 by LechnerDE »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #483 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 06:56:28 »

or

care to comment ivan?

thanks
I did the math once. Basically its cheaper to have it shipped to the US and then sent back for both US and EU buyers than to use an EU proxy because then you have to pay German VAT and US buyers would pay 20-30 dollars more.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 06:57:51 »
Ivan always GIVES us the best deal in keycaps!
HAD to drastically modify my post because I do not want any harm to occur to our brilliant Group Buy organizer.  This is the typical "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" type of post  8) .
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 19:10:11 by Elrick »

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #485 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:03:51 »
Do i pledge by replying here?

1x Base set for me.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:15:36 »
Do i pledge by replying here?

1x Base set for me.

You gotta fill out the Google form. Also, add yourself some F'n'A and Oddmods for resale value, and to make sure the folks who want them can still get them produced

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:42:41 »
Updated my order with a bunch more items. ;)
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 08:10:32 »
Edit: Quote removed.

There is a reason for that. Technically it's illegal to do so. If you are caught you can get in a lot of trouble.
It's just that plastic keycaps are not regarded as very expensive and most people have no idea what a custom keycap set costs and most customs officers don't have the time to waste on searching for it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 05:02:44 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline Halvar

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 08:44:58 »
@LechnerDE: And you thank him by shouting it out to the world ...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 11:09:21 by Halvar »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 09:38:52 »
Yes, the only time I mark the actual value is if buyer arranges with me to have insurance with express service.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 10:12:35 »

There's already a discussion on this earlier in the thread.

Of which I have taken the liberty to search it out for you (which I can't believe I did btw LOL). Here you go:

Try to win me over by telling me why this set is so special and so good:) I don't quite know the difference between this set and the standard ABS Doubleshots.
And yes, i know he's doing us all a favor, this set seems to be very popular. Great job with launching this GB! :thumb:

1) Aesthetics.
2) It's s accurate of a replica as it can get of one of the most popular sets around due to point 1 above.
3) Doubleshot and thick abs. Made by the same equipment used to make the original. It might as well be the original already except this is a group buy.
4) Everything you hear about thick keycaps apply to them, even if they're abs. They're still thick and of very good quality.

If I'm not wrong, this is a keycap made by the same company so you can see how it is http://www.geekkeys.com/gmk-white-esc/

5) This groupbuy took a long time to come. And it will probably not come again for a very long time. If along the way in your keyboard journey, you start to realise why these caps were so sought after, I'd rather you be glad you got them, rather than regret that you had the chance and have to wade through tons of classified threads to find these again lol.
6) If for some reason you don't like these, you can always sell them off again rather easily. I'm pretty sure there will be people who have missed this and are looking for a chance to get hold of one from another member. Or if they joined after this gb ended and only realised why they were so good after the gb ended and were unable to get one.
7) Based on those reasons above, you don't really have a reason not to get one, unless it's cause of finanicial issues. Friend's birthday? Get a dolch. your birthday? Get a dolch. Lamp died? Get a dolch. Thermostat too cold? Get a dolch.

Hope this helps!

It does, you've actually won me over pretty fast! But now im concerned, and here's why; I already have a thick set, it's PBT, but it's thick. Now the problem is that the thickness causes a rattle when put on my costar stab buttons on my FILCO because the inner wall is too thick and the stabs hit it while im typing. Again, i'm torn. I have more information thanks to you, but i'm torn :confused:

It's pretty much for the aesthetics. Yes general consensus is that pbt > abs but this is to replicate the original dolch set as far as possible. Meaning doubleshot legends which can only be done on abs. (Can be done on pbt too but only a certain amount of people have the means of doing so.) these are thick abs caps in cherry profile too. So basically everything thick keycap will apply to them, pbt or not.

Reason why everyone wants one is cause this is a very good replica. It's not just keycaps in dolch colors. Heck even the original dolch might have even used these if they were still being made. And these were made by the toolings used by cherry to make the original dolch too. I mean, if you don't care for those and just like it for the aesthetics, I'd say that this is already a good enough reason to get it

If you like the vortex, by all means go for it. But just wanna give you a heads up that if you miss this, there's probably no coming back. Whereas the vortex ones will be on sale for quite some time. And if along the way, if you realize why these were so highly sought after, the chance would've been over. There's a reason why people are going crazy over this gb lol

And yes the colors would look similar
really appreciate you taking the time to write this post. i actually was looking into an imsto set, which along with thick Cherry/BSP seem to be the most highly regarded PBT sets on the market (better rated than the doubleshot Vortex and any Signatures Plastic sets). not that it matters either way, just gonna save up a little more for this Dolch set

EDIT: there's still another post somewhere on whether to buy taihao or this gmk set by another user, i think Elrick? But i'm not sure and I don't have the time to find it now. Got to leave to catch a flight in half an hour
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 10:15:07 by Razor Lotus »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #492 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 10:51:01 »
If you're buying this for an end-game set, I recommend getting the Odd pack so you're good to go a year from now when you discover that you prefer the Ctrl/Caps swapped or that your ideal format is the Mini format.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #493 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 11:35:28 »
I added the measurements of keys (in units) to the odd set for myself here. Maybe it's of use to some of you.

68243-0

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 13:13:45 »
Updated my order to one of each of the packs (Except Dox) and two extra Space Bar sets.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline intelli78

« Reply #495 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 13:20:50 »
Added some stuff to my order.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 19:14:46 »
@LechnerDE: And you thank him by shouting it out to the world ...  ::)

I have altered my original statement (above) to avoid any possible nasty repercussions for our beloved GB Leader  8)

Sorry for being so obvious, subtlety was never my strong point.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 20:13:15 »
I added the measurements of keys (in units) to the odd set for myself here. Maybe it's of use to some of you.

(Attachment Link)
Yeah. Thanks your effect :thumb: I hope ODD pack hit MOQ :)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #498 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 21:00:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Are you sure those long ones are 2.75x? Wasn't there supposed to be a 3x for a Minila spacebar? I could be wrong. I measured in GIMP and they were in between w/r/t pixel count.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 21:39:14 »
How long does it usually take after the groupbuy completes for the sets to be produced and shipped out?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards