Author Topic: Camera Thread  (Read 8137 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Camera Thread
« on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 17:02:28 »
I had a look back, and the old camera thread is 2 years old. So I thought I would start a new one.

I'm looking to invest in a nice DSLR. I want to spend somewhere between £300 and £500, and ideally I would like a Canon, due to my dad owning a Canon, and I wouldn't mind being able to swap lenses etc with him (currently looking at the 700d and the 1200d). However I'm not completely against swapping to Nikon. I would like to be able to shoot nice close ups for pretty keyboard pictures, as well as be able to take it around and about for holidays and day to day stuff.

Any advice would be awesome, also feel free to post stuff about cameras and lenses and w-e.

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
Re: Camera Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 17:29:26 »
You should go with 70D or 7D ( You can get them in like new condition around that price), this is if you have good set of lenses already. If not, you should spend more money towards nicer lens.
I would suggest Nikon D7000 but since you dad already has Canon lenses, I don't see a point for you to purchase Nikon body.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 17:41:01 »
I think my dad has some normal basic lenses tbh. I don't think he spent that much on the camera but I was just thinking for the lenses I would buy so he could use them.

You think I could get a 70D for that much? From ebay or something? I haven't got any myself, and I am pretty new to all of this sort of stuff, so I would need to start from the bottom.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 18:37:51 »
D3200
Bang for your buck, bro
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 18:54:13 »
Mmm, I'm comparing the D3200 and the 70D and the differences I can see are that the 3200 has a higher mp sensor and the 70D can take multiple shots in one go...

sooooo many options...

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:04:31 »
canon is for nerds nikon 4 lyfe

cameras are the only place im hypocritical about brand loyalty...
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:12:41 »
Well I want to re-iterate that I really don't have any loyalties when it comes to brands. (looking at the fitting on the bodies I can't see why the lenses won't work between brands but then I'm just being stupid probably)

Looking at it, I think the 70D and the D3200 are definitely my two choices. I'm told Nikon are better in low light and Canon's shutters are quicker, but looking at the light settings both of those receivers have the same low light settings =/

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 20:01:52 »
Well I want to re-iterate that I really don't have any loyalties when it comes to brands. (looking at the fitting on the bodies I can't see why the lenses won't work between brands but then I'm just being stupid probably)

Looking at it, I think the 70D and the D3200 are definitely my two choices. I'm told Nikon are better in low light and Canon's shutters are quicker, but looking at the light settings both of those receivers have the same low light settings =/

Well a thing with Nikon is that they don't change mounts as often as Canon, so if you buy a Nikon you can get like really old Nikon lenses and use them just fine. I assume you can with Canon as well if you just get an adapter, but it's more hassle.

Although in reality I don't think there's much of a difference. I prefer Nikon's way of dealing with menus and stuff, and I think they look better.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:02:21 »
My wife bought a mid-level Canon about 5 years ago and it was junk.

Totally dead now, and she has not even used it that much.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:21:05 »
I am kind of leaning towards Nikon right now... 24mp sensor, 1080p video, and it looks a bit more rugged.

And dat red...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:24:19 »
I am kind of leaning towards Nikon right now... 24mp sensor, 1080p video, and it looks a bit more rugged.

And dat red...
Nikons are great. I actually spent about two years shooting Canon before I moved everything over to Nikon back when I was a pro. Much better build quality and I prefer the Nikon lens selection as well.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:54:56 »

This is coming in the mail, much excite,

Been using a canon eos rebel xs, excited to see the jump in technology
sell out and eat ass

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:57:34 »
Mmmm, that looks nice.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:08:02 »
If you already have Canon lenses available I would highly suggest a Canon.

Question though....are those lenses made for the APS-C sensor or a Full Frame sensor?

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:11:41 »

Question though....are those lenses made for the APS-C sensor or a Full Frame sensor?

If i did have canon lens laying around the house i would have definitely gone canon. However my GF's parents only used the stock lens so im starting my camera journey fresh. I loved the canon idk why i got a nikon, some thing new to play with i guess? Dustin may have had an influence on my brand choice though, love the shots he pulls of with his nikon. And is there to help with troubleshooting
sell out and eat ass

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:21:15 »

If i did have canon lens laying around the house i would have definitely gone canon. However my GF's parents only used the stock lens so im starting my camera journey fresh. I loved the canon idk why i got a nikon, some thing new to play with i guess? Dustin may have had an influence on my brand choice though, love the shots he pulls of with his nikon. And is there to help with troubleshooting

Nikon has a history of pulling out better colors with their sensors and they are the MASTERS when it comes to lenses. But in all honestly Canon vs Nikon is like Apples vs Oranges. It just comes down to what you like to use. I own a Nikon D5000 and might sell it for the newer Nikon D5300 for the extra MPs.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:34:29 »
I'm pretty sure they are stock lenses. I don't know the first thing about them, but they are both about 6/7 inches long and don't look like they are anything special.

I wouldn't know what they are made for. All I know is that my dad has a 300d or something.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:48:52 »
I'm pretty sure they are stock lenses. I don't know the first thing about them, but they are both about 6/7 inches long and don't look like they are anything special.

I wouldn't know what they are made for. All I know is that my dad has a 300d or something.

That's an oldie but it does use the APS-C sensor. You could buy the cheapest out of all the newer Canon DSLR's and it would beat out that one.

But if you are looking to spend that much here is a pretty good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-T5i-SLR-Camera-4-Lens-Kit-18-55-STM-75-300-mm-24GB-TOP-VALUE-KIT-/221451244146?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item338f85d272

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:52:55 »
That is a really good deal. Unfortunately the $100 P&P takes it way out of my price range...

I think I will go for a 3200D =/

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:00:10 »
yeeesss
yesssssssssssssssss
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:11:03 »
yeeesss
yesssssssssssssssss

I compared the 700 and the 3200, and I can get a 3200 for about £150 cheaper. So when I get one (eventually) it will be that.

Sorry Canon bros. And dad. Hah.

Offline tbc

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:36:41 »
why buy dslr?  especially a crop dslr.

i don't see why non pros even look at them.

mirrorless is the way to go unless you really need REALLY wide angles.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:45:06 »
Because I would like a really good quality camera, with versatility for taking great snaps in different situations (and keyboard photos) and I don't want to pay stupid money for a pro camera.

Offline tbc

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:51:23 »
yes.  mirrorless cameras are perfectly fine at doing all of that and more.

a6000 is one of the best cameras out there under 1k.  the 11fps with 150+ focus points is AMAZING at action shots.  it's about 650 in canada.

why do you think mirrorless cameras are bad?

for non specialized usages, such as shooting in a cave, they're perfectly fine.  when you buy a crop sensor dslr, you're pretty much saying, i want the exact same photoquality (if not worse) and i also want it to be 50% to 100% heavier.

Offline Altis

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:12:29 »
yes.  mirrorless cameras are perfectly fine at doing all of that and more.

a6000 is one of the best cameras out there under 1k.  the 11fps with 150+ focus points is AMAZING at action shots.  it's about 650 in canada.

why do you think mirrorless cameras are bad?

for non specialized usages, such as shooting in a cave, they're perfectly fine.  when you buy a crop sensor dslr, you're pretty much saying, i want the exact same photoquality (if not worse) and i also want it to be 50% to 100% heavier.

I'm with tbc on this one. Mirrorless have become absolutely phenominal. I have the Sony NEX 6 with the built-in 2.4 MP EVF (the predecessor to the A6000).

My good photography friend had a Canon T3i, then 60D, then 7D, then 5D mkii. He never really managed better photos overall because most of it comes down to the photographer (composition, settings, etc) and post-production. He also never really took his kit anywhere due to its massive size.

Oddly enough, Sony makes most of the high-end sensors used in Nikon cameras.

There are really only three reasons people buy a full size DSLR anymore:
1. They have a collection of lenses already and don't want to use adapters
2. They are professionals who stick to the 5D
3. They simply don't know the option exists. To many, the traditional DSLR is the only "real" camera

Have fun shopping! There's tons of good stuff. Keep a little money set aside for some kit, such as a good tripod, and of course, lenses.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my friend ended up selling off his Canon stuff entirely and getting a Sony mirrorless for a variety of reasons.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:46:31 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nar

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 01:27:52 »
Because I would like a really good quality camera, with versatility for taking great snaps in different situations (and keyboard photos) and I don't want to pay stupid money for a pro camera.

With the improvement in mirrorless camera quality, they are just as good as the entry level cameras with kit lenses now but at a much smaller size. The only reason to go for an entry level DSLR now is to

1. Share lenses with someone else (you can do this with mirrorless too, just there's a smaller chance that you'd find anyone to share with considering they are much newer)
2. If you believe you'll eventually upgrade to a pro camera and want to be able to reuse some lenses
3. If you really can't afford the $100-$200 premium that the good mirrorless cameras have over the cheap entry level DSLRs.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 01:47:26 »
ITT: "Actually, just use your phone."
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:26:01 »
I'm with tbc on this as well, I don't see much reason to get a DSLR these days and I'm planning on replacing mine with a mirrorless when I get the opportunity.

Probably should've mentioned that as an option, but OP mentioned that he was looking for a dslr so I sorta just stuck with that.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:54:09 »

Picked up this 40mm w/ a mini tripod, cant wait for it to come in the mail XD. Figured i'd mostly be shooting keyboards/keycaps with it so lightblock shouldnt be an issue.
sell out and eat ass

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 00:32:46 »
Show Image

Picked up this 40mm w/ a mini tripod, cant wait for it to come in the mail XD. Figured i'd mostly be shooting keyboards/keycaps with it so lightblock shouldnt be an issue.

I've been looking at that one too, I'll be looking forward to your pictures.  ^-^

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 00:00:54 »
Bah, I have a rebel t4i, I don't need another camera, but now I'm looking at them.  I'm too easy to sell things to.

EDIT: It's too bad none of the mirrorless cameras I just looked at have the same level of articulating screen that my canon has.  Sneaky around the corner pictures are fun.

But dat sony a6000 and a7r or the olympus odem1/10 or even the samsung nx300/galaxy nx...
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:57:24 by tjcaustin »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:18:27 »
Just wanted to add a comment om the mirror vs mirrorless debate. I have huge hands and none of the mirrorless camereas i tried have an handgrip that fits my hand. Mirrorless cameras are good but I can't stand the ergonomics.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 04:17:42 »
Just wanted to add a comment om the mirror vs mirrorless debate. I have huge hands and none of the mirrorless camereas i tried have an handgrip that fits my hand. Mirrorless cameras are good but I can't stand the ergonomics.

Depends on price range, cheap DSLRs aren't much better than a lot of mirrorless cameras when it comes to large hands as they tend to be quite small. But once you get past entry-level cameras then yes, most DSLR cameras will be better for large hands.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 13:37:43 »
So as I said last night, the two new camera threads that popped up got me looking at cameras again because really, why not?

I have a t4i now, so first up on the thoughts is a new canon.  Specifically the 70D

Then, because mirrorless has made a significant jump since I last looked at this stuff:

Sony a6000
Sony a5100
Samsung NX300
Samsung Galaxy NX
Olympus OM-D-EM10

I love the idea of using my phone as a remote and viewfinder.  I'm leaning to the a6000, as it seems to slightly edge everything else out or tie with the more expensive of the cameras I've mentioned so far.  Fortunately, my camera's still got enough value that with lenses, I can sell it and get into a starter system with any of the non canon options save the galaxy nx.  Any thoughts?  I'll use this mainly for product shots, but if I get a mirrorless, I'll be more inclined to take it places to shoot and take more dog pictures, too.

Offline Altis

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 18:21:38 »
So as I said last night, the two new camera threads that popped up got me looking at cameras again because really, why not?

I have a t4i now, so first up on the thoughts is a new canon.  Specifically the 70D

Then, because mirrorless has made a significant jump since I last looked at this stuff:

Sony a6000
Sony a5100
Samsung NX300
Samsung Galaxy NX
Olympus OM-D-EM10

I love the idea of using my phone as a remote and viewfinder.  I'm leaning to the a6000, as it seems to slightly edge everything else out or tie with the more expensive of the cameras I've mentioned so far.  Fortunately, my camera's still got enough value that with lenses, I can sell it and get into a starter system with any of the non canon options save the galaxy nx.  Any thoughts?  I'll use this mainly for product shots, but if I get a mirrorless, I'll be more inclined to take it places to shoot and take more dog pictures, too.

I have a Sony NEX 6 (the previous model Sony a6000), and it's exceptionally good, although not exactly inexpensive. I only have good things to say about it, except that the E-mount lenses can be pricey, partially due to in-lens image stabilization. The digital viewfinder is fantastic, in particular. You can also use manual lenses (ie. good cheap primes) with cheap adapters easily with focus peaking (the focused/hard edges glow when you are focused).

My good photography friend started with a T3i, went to a 60D, 7D, and 5D MK2... then eventually sold it all and got a Sony mirrorless. The reason was the same as what you're saying... he never took it places. It always had to be in his big camera backpack, and he didn't want it to get stolen or damaged, and it was cumbersome. The kicker is that the images weren't really any better, as there are far more important factors than the camera body.

Anyways, let me know if there's anything I can answer with regards to the Sony mirrorless as I've used them extensively, as well as Canon DSLRs (mainly the ones my friend had).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:50:36 »
I think my dad has some normal basic lenses tbh. I don't think he spent that much on the camera but I was just thinking for the lenses I would buy so he could use them.

You think I could get a 70D for that much? From ebay or something? I haven't got any myself, and I am pretty new to all of this sort of stuff, so I would need to start from the bottom.

Canons are much more economical and lenses become insanely expensive once you start collecting them. I am a Nikon shooter, as I find them to be far superior, but you also pay for that upgrade.

Check local camera stores before looking online (B&H has a used/refurb shop, though, that I would recommend over ebay, if online), because they will have the best deals and you can test out those used goodies first. You can also build a relationship with the shop and they can help you find things in the future (and give you better deals on trade-ins, etc). My first camera was a Pentax P3 (1985 build) when I was in middle school and I went back to that same camera shop for nearly 10 years buying, selling and trading gear. I got many great deals and recommendations (and help finding hard to find old stuffs), too!
c h e r

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 00:09:06 »
Would you do a Mirror less Camera, maybe Sony a6000? From the reviews I've watched it's comparable to any DSLR.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:23:39 »
Since I went to an a6000 I haven't looked back. I picked up a nice prime lens and a telephoto, too and I like everything about it.  The wireless transfer, smartphone remote, how it operates on its own, I can't see replacing this for a very long time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:26:10 »
FWIW, I have a Olympus EPL-3 and I really enjoy it. It's a mirrorless 4/3s camera. It's actually a wonderful camera, it's just that I usually pretty bad at taking the pictures behind it. But if you look at the Epsilon Theta pictures, it's capable of taking wonderful pictures. Plus it's affordable.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:04:27 »

And dat red...

Nikon's video quality is crap, pretty much everyone knows that Canon is better when it comes to video. And if there's already a Canon lying around the house that you can benefit from the lenses, then it's a no brainer. Good glass is very expensive, as you probably know. I have the 650D and am more than satisfied with it. It all comes down to the glass you put on it.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:35:23 »
Mostly been using my Canon rebel t3 with a 50mm prime lens and speedlite 580EX II
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Altis

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 19:36:31 »
Since I went to an a6000 I haven't looked back. I picked up a nice prime lens and a telephoto, too and I like everything about it.  The wireless transfer, smartphone remote, how it operates on its own, I can't see replacing this for a very long time.

Would you do a Mirror less Camera, maybe Sony a6000? From the reviews I've watched it's comparable to any DSLR.

These two know where it's at.

Sony mirrorless are very, very good cameras indeed. Granted, they aren't exactly inexpensive either... but I would only get a DSLR at this point if it's a full-frame (5D likely) and I were a pro-tog and relied on it for my income.

Offline tbc

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 20:03:26 »
a6000 + 50mm f 1.8 is like 850 atm right?

pretty affordable and spectacular performance.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 00:22:11 »
Canon or Nikon are nice if you go full frame and have lots of money :/, go for u4/3 if you want something w/ changeable lenses that is more affordable. Go for a better fixed lens camera (Canon G1 X mkII e.g.) if you only occasionally take pictures and plan on getting the most out of a one-time investment.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 00:31:16 »

I'm think that's going to be my first decent camera. But I'm still not sure on the A6000 or a full body DSLR in the same price range.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 01:33:50 »

I'm think that's going to be my first decent camera. But I'm still not sure on the A6000 or a full body DSLR in the same price range.

We just bought a a6000 I'll let you know how it handles.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 19:57:05 »
Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the aperture with a cheap lens extender on (no electronics)? Whenever I put the extender on, it defaults to 0 and I can't change it from the camera

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:32:25 »
What macro lenses are you guys using to shoot your keycaps :D
hi

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:35:00 »
Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the aperture with a cheap lens extender on (no electronics)? Whenever I put the extender on, it defaults to 0 and I can't change it from the camera

sadly there is no way. The aperture on canon, nikon, or sony emount lenses are not controllable with out the pins touching the camera. You would need a manual lens or something similar to a metabones adapter.
hi

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:19:55 »

sadly there is no way. The aperture on canon, nikon, or sony emount lenses are not controllable with out the pins touching the camera. You would need a manual lens or something similar to a metabones adapter.
So something like this would work?