Author Topic: [IC] GMK 'Miami Nights'  (Read 56483 times)

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
Re: [IC] GMK 'Miami Nights'
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:43:05 »
Wow Ivan, I must say that this colorway looks really good. I've always thought Miami colors were great, but the sets were just way too flashy for my tastes.

That being said, I think the A and F profile keys should just be replaced with B and E profiles. The A and F are great for people who really want to be super authentic to vintage Cherry boards, but that alienates a lot of people who just want to use these sets on their modern boards. I just think that the best way to ensure this will hit MoQ is to shape the set in a way that appeals to the greatest number of people. (no ****  :p ) And I just feel like mismatched profiles will alienate people that might otherwise be interested in the set.

Also a different numpad enter legend would be tight.  :))

Offline padath

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:55:27 »
Not sure whether I like the colourway but that's a personal opinion and I'm quite boring with my preferences.

I use a GB layout ISO board so I would obviously prefer GB rather than ES side-printing but the ES layout users would disagree. I'm beginning to wish that I had gone for ANSI boards right from the start because it's really hard to get international key layouts in the lovely GMK keycaps.

Do you have any stats on how many groupbuy participants use international layouts?  I wonder whether we could have a poll or something.

One possible solution might be to pair up these GMK group buys with DCS international layout patch kits. That's what I have done with my GMK Dolch - I use a few DCS Dolch keys with GB legends. The only annoyance is that the legends aren't Cherry.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:59:01 »
It looks great Ivan; perhaps, a control stepped, and windowed caps lock may be added.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 11:11:54 »

I use a GB layout ISO board so I would obviously prefer GB rather than ES side-printing but the ES layout users would disagree. I'm beginning to wish that I had gone for ANSI boards right from the start because it's really hard to get international key layouts in the lovely GMK keycaps.

Do you have any stats on how many groupbuy participants use international layouts?  I wonder whether we could have a poll or something.

My two cents on the international legends thing: I write in English, Spanish and French using International US layout; that means, you could write any special Latin character using a standard ANSI layout with AltGr; considering this, Spanish legends following the ISO standard are not useful.

I wonder what is the reasoning behind the use of some Spanish legends pad printed; otherwise, a poll may come handy to know the type and position of alternate characters to cover the wider spectrum of potential international buyers.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 12:33:49 »

My two cents on the international legends thing: I write in English, Spanish and French using International US layout; that means, you could write any special Latin character using a standard ANSI layout with AltGr; considering this, Spanish legends following the ISO standard are not useful.

I wonder what is the reasoning behind the use of some Spanish legends pad printed; otherwise, a poll may come handy to know the type and position of alternate characters to cover the wider spectrum of potential international buyers.

The Spanish is because people in Miami speak Spanish, no? It's just fitting the theme of Miami. If there are some errors in the layout I'm sure Ivan would correct them to make it functional.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 12:48:09 »
eww, I'm gonna stay out of this :(
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 12:54:21 »
Not sure whether I like the colourway but that's a personal opinion and I'm quite boring with my preferences.

One possible solution might be to pair up these GMK group buys with DCS international layout patch kits. That's what I have done with my GMK Dolch - I use a few DCS Dolch keys with GB legends. The only annoyance is that the legends aren't Cherry.

As someone who also uses ISO its not a big deal and more and more sets are giving UK mods... that said the Spanish legends are because of the theme... in the past when ivan has tried to make language mods/extensions people have fought and argued over which are more important etc etc...

imo in this case Spanish legends make perfect sense and enhance the set

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:14:42 »

As someone who also uses ISO its not a big deal and more and more sets are giving UK mods... that said the Spanish legends are because of the theme... in the past when ivan has tried to make language mods/extensions people have fought and argued over which are more important etc etc...

Perfect sense from what perspective?. I write in Spanish, but these legends will be of no help. If the main reason is to get something unique aesthetics wise is OK; but, to make them useful, it does not make any sense to narrow the choices to Spanish.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:40:38 »

Perfect sense from what perspective?. I write in Spanish, but these legends will be of no help. If the main reason is to get something unique aesthetics wise is OK; but, to make them useful, it does not make any sense to narrow the choices to Spanish.
It fits a theme.

I would argue not that many people around here buy Cyrillic because they speak Russian, Hangul or Japanese fonts. And who around here can read the fictional Star Wars language Aurebesh?

If the main doubleshot legends are all standard ANSI QWERTY this should not be an issue at all from a usability perspective. Side print is cool people. ;)

EDIT: Sod it Ivan you have my vote. This set is growing on me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:43:00 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:43:32 »

It fits a theme.

I would argue not that many people around here buy Cyrillic because they speak Russian, Hangul or Japanese fonts. And who around here can read the fictional Star Wars language Aurebesh?

If the main doubleshot legends are all standard ANSI QWERTY this should not be an issue at all from a usability perspective. Side print is cool people. ;)

I definitely agreeing with everything here. The Spanish side-print legends may not serve most people any real functional purpose, but they fit the Miami theme.

And to be honest they look really friggin' cool.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:51:52 »
[...]
It fits a theme.

I definitely agreeing with everything here. The Spanish side-print legends may not serve most people any real functional purpose, but they fit the Miami theme.

|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:56:34 »
Spanish legends are for the shake of aesthetics, and they rock. Let get this done Ivan; but now, the question is if it would be a GH's GB, or if it would go the MD route?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:59:34 »
Spanish legends are for the shake of aesthetics, and they rock. Let get this done Ivan; but now, the question is if it would be a GH's GB, or if it would go the MD route?

Why does everyone think massdrop is some sort of GMK group buy deity all of a sudden?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:01:41 »

Why does everyone think massdrop is some sort of GMK group buy deity all of a sudden?

By all means it is not such thing, but it has proven to help the numbers. By the way, I am still waiting for a sixty case to be delivered after a month it was shipped from MD; therefore, I do not have any reason to think MD is such a good option.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:04:31 »
Ugh... This will look damn good on my TX1800...
null

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:25:43 »

It fits a theme.

pretty much, it's like the shades caps on the winkey's of the original Miami set, they look cool as **** but don't serve much purpose... and as GMK can't do ball **** like that, Spanish legends is about as deep as it can do... though I think I would prefer a push for Russian for the Hotline Miami theme haha but it's all good

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 15:21:48 »
Yes, of course Spanish fits the Miami theme as it is probably almost as widely spoken there as English. Spanish is also one of the largest spoken languages on the planet. It's also part of my larger plan of working through major languages. It's been very clear that there isn't enough support for dedicated doubleshot keys for various other language layouts on a cost to demand basis. Adding side pad printing however does not dramatically raise the price, while still offering legends besides US ANSI which I hope will further gain additional interest from those who use the respective layout daily. Eventually I would like to offer sets that have side printed German, Italian, French, Russian, and so on.

Interest check can be useful if I can get some idea of consensus while ignoring the fringe opinion. So right now I am reading consensus as the numpad enter legend needs to be changed, most people aren't keen on mixed profile, and most people seem to be positive or indifferent to Spanish sublegends. This is useful as I can see what I can change to help get more buyers to ensure MOQ. What I would like to know though now... to fix the mixed profile issue, would it be best to cut all the B profile and make the set cheaper and rely on the CMYK v2 kit for B profile 1.25 layouts... or add more keys to the full set accommodate that where it will be more expensive?
Things that won't change are going to be the colorway. I would also not be looking to add any keys really as I really want to avoid inflating the cost which is the primary thing that can keep people away from GMK buys.
I don't see how running the CMYK v2 and the white/black patch kit concurrently will be bad. Those are stand alone things, and since a lot of the legends and the base color is all going to be the same it might be possible to get some price breaks since they may not need to do as much set up work... but I will have to see what I can negotiate.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 15:28:27 »
to fix the mixed profile issue, would it be best to cut all the B profile and make the set cheaper and rely on the CMYK v2 kit for B profile 1.25 layouts... or add more keys to the full set accommodate that where it will be more expensive?

Cut the A and F profile and make it standard B-B-C-D-E-E. That would have the broadest support toward MOQ. How many people really WANT the other profiles? Not many, I wouldn't think.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 15:59:32 »
How many people don't want it just because they haven't used it and simply fear things that aren't the same as always? Why do people want essentially the same kit over and over in slightly different colors only? Sure, different colors are cool and all, but I would rather depart $100+ if there is more to it than that.
OK... sure, some people have a preference and that is fine. I would REALLY prefer to offer the options and let the user decide what to use than making the decision for them. Lets say for arguments sake... cutting B profile from the main kit results in a $20 price reduction. Adding duplicates of keys in B profile results in a $20 increase. In my theoretical scenario lets also say the CMYK v2 pack is $20 which would solve most of the B profile complaint.
So now... for those that are going to buy both they will be saving $20 by not having key duplication. For those that wouldn't have planned on buying both there is no cost change with the possible inconvenience of being forced to buy another kit. For those that don't care about 1.25, or B profile they save $20. I think that is good all around, and we get to have something different which to me is a good thing too.
As far as the three keys of print/scroll/pause being different...  those are little used keys by most. It should be much less impact than with the bottom row. Also, as I mentioned before if it really bothers someone they could use the blank keys instead.
I think F profile is even better on boards where the function row is right on top of the numrow like with most 75%, or boards like the lightsaver or redscarf. You have a feel reference just like the differences on any of the other rows instead of sliding over the top of the number key. Each row is distinctly different which can be really nice.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 16:15:34 »

Cut the A and F profile and make it standard B-B-C-D-E-E. That would have the broadest support toward MOQ. How many people really WANT the other profiles? Not many, I wouldn't think.

+1

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 16:22:47 »
How many people don't want it just because they haven't used it and simply fear things that aren't the same as always? Why do people want essentially the same kit over and over in slightly different colors only?

If I'm going to drop $100+ for a set of keycaps, I don't want to guess if I will like how they look/feel on my keyboard(s). People want the same kit because it is the standard, and fits most keyboards and layouts.

I think it's great that you are willing to include both options, where some organizers refuse even to do that, though the number of keys needed would be small, and their group buy is large, as to make the cost difference negligible to the buyer. However, the STANDARD profile should be in the base kit, not in an optional kit.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline geniekid

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 16:40:46 »
Each row is distinctly different which can be really nice.

A lot of people would be fine with A and F profiles if you could offer them in full sets.  It's the mixing people don't like.  So I think cutting A and F altogether will give you the greatest chance of meeting MOQ (though I would personally get it no matter what).

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 16:53:24 »
The colorway looks great. The spanish legends adds to the set nicely. I can understand the dislike for the Enter key for the numberpad. It's not my cup of tea either.

I've always wanted to try more A profile since toying with my Desko set. The part that's hard to stomach is the non matching profile of Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause Break. I understand GMK doesn't have them in F profile, so shifting the Function row down to E profile would work.

To be honest, I was curious if you were going to add the Function row with numbers in circles as those legends started to grow on me. Count me in for a set ... and now for some reason I feel like getting a Cubano.

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 16:58:10 »
i like this set

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:28:43 »

Giving the people the choice of profiles seems to be the best way to go, and allow more people to join with -$20 "savings". Offering the modifiers sets along with the main set is just fine, people may save something in shipping by buying them together.

The innovative approach you are taking is OK; but, as always, it gets some initial resistance. That is a well documented masses behavior, that is even aggravated by group thinking. GH is particularly known by being a place with strong group thinking, leaded mainly by the most vocals of the elders.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:42:54 »
How many people don't want it just because they haven't used it and simply fear things that aren't the same as always? Why do people want essentially the same kit over and over in slightly different colors only?

If I'm going to drop $100+ for a set of keycaps, I don't want to guess if I will like how they look/feel on my keyboard(s). People want the same kit because it is the standard, and fits most keyboards and layouts.

I think it's great that you are willing to include both options, where some organizers refuse even to do that, though the number of keys needed would be small, and their group buy is large, as to make the cost difference negligible to the buyer. However, the STANDARD profile should be in the base kit, not in an optional kit.

+1, the base set should be standard.

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 18:47:47 »
Holy mother of god I want that set

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 18:53:00 »
i like this set

Holy mother of god I want that set

So your saying you want this?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 19:01:43 »
Definitely interested, looks very clean!

I agree with most of the common concerns like the nonstandard profiles and vertical enter,
but I really do like the Spanish (or any for that matter) side prints and how F5 to F8 are not in the modifier color scheme as usual.  :)

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:02:51 »
As for me, if it were GMK,  i absolutely join in whatever the coorway is and whatever the layout's profile is ....
Meanwhile , i also agree with your opinion on using some new and originative profiles such as R0 ..however , considering the failure of 85|15. how to meet the MOQ is the major question. As you know, lots people don't like to adapt to new layout or new things, just since they get used to the old ones.
The above suggestions i have put forward was just for  how to make this group meet the MOQ and make the dream come true..

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:07:06 »

I think you should know better than anyone.
If you're being sarcastic just to see if random nobodies who are instilling their faith based on here-say have the correct answer, then you should also know better -- they don't know.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:16:57 »
I don't see how running the CMYK v2 and the white/black patch kit concurrently will be bad. Those are stand alone things, and since a lot of the legends and the base color is all going to be the same it might be possible to get some price breaks since they may not need to do as much set up work... but I will have to see what I can negotiate.

People only have so much money each month. I'd probably be keen to order multiples of both if they weren't running concurrently, as it stands I'll probably only be buying one of each. And I'm not in on Miami Nights, if I was I probably wouldn't be able to afford either.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:20:54 »

If you're being sarcastic just to see if random nobodies who are instilling their faith based on here-say have the correct answer, then you should also know better -- they don't know.

I think massdrop is a business and they will always be looking out for themselves, at the end of the day the community will lose out in the end if we just trust them to run group buys.

Who's to say massdrop won't convince GMK to stop wasting time with our small community ran group buys and only deal with massdrop?

I'm not supporting them. #tinfoilhatftw #yolo

And this is all off topic for Ivan's IC.

On topic, I'm mostly using topre now so with all the oddities in the set it just isn't for me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 22:01:23 »
Ivan is probably thinking how this GB is going to be manage; but knowing him, he will only disclose it, after careful analysis.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 22:12:29 »

I think massdrop is a business and they will always be looking out for themselves, at the end of the day the community will lose out in the end if we just trust them to run group buys.

Who's to say massdrop won't convince GMK to stop wasting time with our small community ran group buys and only deal with massdrop?

I'm not supporting them. #tinfoilhatftw #yolo

And this is all off topic for Ivan's IC.

On topic, I'm mostly using topre now so with all the oddities in the set it just isn't for me.
I didn't know you were mainly TopRe now
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline xandr

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 02:54:35 »
I'm not really a fan of the side-printed legends. The profiles don't bother me too much, since I'd be using this on a ISO150 60% anyway - as long as there's an E-profile Esc I'd be happy.

Having said that, I kind of feel like the contrast between the legends and the keys might be a bit low on the alphas unless the cyan is significantly brighter than the one used for the legends in the Dolch color addon.

I'm very very interested in the CMYK v2 and the patch kit though. Also black GMK spacebars, eff yeah!
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2015, 02:56:32 by xandr »
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 03:25:39 »
How many people don't want it just because they haven't used it and simply fear things that aren't the same as always? Why do people want essentially the same kit over and over in slightly different colors only? Sure, different colors are cool and all, but I would rather depart $100+ if there is more to it than that.
OK... sure, some people have a preference and that is fine. I would REALLY prefer to offer the options and let the user decide what to use than making the decision for them. Lets say for arguments sake... cutting B profile from the main kit results in a $20 price reduction. Adding duplicates of keys in B profile results in a $20 increase. In my theoretical scenario lets also say the CMYK v2 pack is $20 which would solve most of the B profile complaint.
So now... for those that are going to buy both they will be saving $20 by not having key duplication. For those that wouldn't have planned on buying both there is no cost change with the possible inconvenience of being forced to buy another kit. For those that don't care about 1.25, or B profile they save $20. I think that is good all around, and we get to have something different which to me is a good thing too.
As far as the three keys of print/scroll/pause being different...  those are little used keys by most. It should be much less impact than with the bottom row. Also, as I mentioned before if it really bothers someone they could use the blank keys instead.
I think F profile is even better on boards where the function row is right on top of the numrow like with most 75%, or boards like the lightsaver or redscarf. You have a feel reference just like the differences on any of the other rows instead of sliding over the top of the number key. Each row is distinctly different which can be really nice.

people are scared of change m8, always have been, always will be.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 03:42:24 »
I'm in for white/black/patch kit and CYMK MOD
Hi ,bro, i will buy CMYK mod for one set, i will pay you for buying one for me? because i couldn't log in Google table ,thank you very much .

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 09:19:40 »
Ivan is probably thinking how this GB is going to be manage; but knowing him, he will only disclose it, after careful analysis.

Enough people are complaining that I believe this statement holds truth. :'(

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 09:37:26 »
[waiting for mock up]
There will also be a CMYK v2 set with color legends on black keys. This set will contain 2 sets of shift keys in 1.25, 1.75, 2.25 and 2.75 one set with arrow only, and one set with arrow and shift text in yellow legend. A set of Control keys in both 1.25 and 1.5 in magenta legend. A set of Alt/Alt Gr in both 1.25 and 1.5 in cyan legend. Additionally unlike the first set there will also be Windows and menu keys in 1 and 1.25 sizes and a Fn 1x key with very dark grey legends.

Woah, didn't realize about the CMYK v2 until now...  :eek:
Can't wait for the mockup! I imagine the CMYK legends on black keys will look awesome on this set!  :thumb:

+1, the base set should be standard.

+1, I get the idea behind it and appreciate your effort of trying to create something different and unique,
but it seems most people prefer sticking to standard so I think keeping the base set standard would be best for reaching MOQ I guess.

I never tried A and F profile tho, which is probably the case for many people, so having an option to actually try it would be awesome as well!
It just shouldn't be the standard set I guess unless both options are included which would increase the price...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 09:42:01 »

It's not complaining. Those who are speaking up are voicing their opinions. That's what an interest check is for. It helps the organizer get a feel for what would be popular enough to make the MOQ for the buy.

in memoriam

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 09:48:56 »

It's not complaining. Those who are speaking up are voicing their opinions. That's what an interest check is for. It helps the organizer get a feel for what would be popular enough to make the MOQ for the buy.

The IC is to get feedback from the community on the design of the set, in this case; but, Ivan has handle all aspects of his previous GBs, so the question is if he is going to do the same with this one. The comments so far are not complaints but opinions on the design which is exactly the intention of the IC.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:56:04 »

The IC is to get feedback from the community on the design of the set, in this case; but, Ivan has handle all aspects of his previous GBs, so the question is if he is going to do the same with this one. The comments so far are not complaints but opinions on the design which is exactly the intention of the IC.

Very true sorry I didn't word that correctly. It just seems like too many people want to cater to something very specific (ie. Lightsaver) which can keep a GB like this from meeting it's proper MOQ.

I know mixed profiles is not something everyone would be comfortable doing (myself included), but there's still a large number of people with boards that will compliment this set nicely. I hope that we can come to a common ground though and I understand that's what an IC is for.

I just don't want to see Ivan get discouraged. I mean this is his idea and he can start it whenever he wants without catering to everyone.

I don't mean to sound rude. It's just my two cents. Love ya guys! :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 11:21:16 »
I know mixed profiles is not something everyone would be comfortable doing (myself included), but there's still a large number of people with boards that will compliment this set nicely.

The thing is, those who wouldn't notice the mixed profiles are the minority.  It makes no sense to make the central focus of the set a minority and making the larger majority buy other packs to get the set they can use.  Even though I'm thinking about using this set on a winkeyless Leku PCB and wouldn't be affected by the hybrid profiles, I don't think it's fair to force others who would be to buy a secondary set to make the set useable.

I've been very vocal about the changes I think would make this set better, but I'm also outspoken.  For example, I still think that N9 would be a far better color than CR for the set.  The black will just be too harsh while the N9 dark grey mellows it a little while also making it more mix and match friendly.  It's the one I thought would look best when I mocked up CMY on grey modifiers before knowing it was a plan Ivan had.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:31:15 »
Here are my 2 cents for this set:

What I like:

I really like your approach to bring Miami flavor to a classic black set. I think it looks more elegant than the flashy variant with pink/teal caps.
This might be a color scheme many people could like because it's not too extreme.

I like the spanish sideprinted legends because they add a little extra flavor to the keys.

Features of the most successful GMK GBs:

Hyperfuse and TA have 600+ orders each which shows that they must be doing something right. In my opinion the formula for a GMK GB is to keep it simple and standard.

These sets had:

- standard US ANSI legends with Text + Icon modifiers
- symmetry option for 60% boards
- standard Cherry two tone color scheme with alternating F-Keys etc.
- B-B-C-D-E-E profile (except some keys for TA)

Non-standard aspects of your set:

I respect your wish to produce something new that hasn't been done before, but people will only be willing to make like 1-2 compromises.

In my opinion the following points are a few too many to make 250 people commit to ordering:

- mix of profiles for R0/R5
- text only legends
- inconsistencies concerning the mix of Spanish/US legends (spanish legends on the numpad although all the other Mods have US legends on top, etc.)
- F-keys don't have alternating legend colors
- small details like Ins/Del instead of Insert/Delete, etc.
- the hidious numpad enter key

Conclusion:

Most people have a limited keyboard budget and can not participate in every GB. If you have limited funds you will only buy sets that match your preferences 99%. The current iteration of this set gives people too many reasons NOT to save money for it! Why make compromises if one could just join the GMK GBs that do things more standard like Hyperfuse, TA or the upcoming classic beige set?

I will order one of everything like I do in all your GMK GBs, but am afraid this set will face the same destiny as the 85/15 set. After the first wave of orders it will stagnate between 100-150 orders...

Suggestion:

I think to make this GB successful you have to concentrate on 1-2 unique features that deviate from the norm and keep the rest standard.

I am not aware of any recent GMK GB that had text only legends so I think this should be the main novelty feature of this set. Add the spanish sideprinted legends for extra flavor and you have a beautiful set!

If you want to produce different profiles you should save that for another set and also offer the B-B-C-D-E-E keys so people can make a choice of their own.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:36:16 by LechnerDE »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 15:54:04 »
I hope Ivan is listening and willing to make some compromises with his original idea; if, this GB is going to succeed.

One more thing, it is very important to advertise the IC outside GH; for example, r/MK and DT are natural venues to do it. I just made a quick search at GH, and I found no thread on this set.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 16:02:52 »
One more thing, it is very important to advertise the IC outside GH; for example, r/MK and DT are natural venues to do it. I just made a quick search at GH, and I found no thread on this set.

woah m8 sick tips for Ivans first GB! :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 16:17:05 »

woah m8 sick tips for Ivans first GB! :)

It is obvious of course, however, there is no reference on the GB at DT yet, that's all. We all know very well that Ivan is an expert GB leader that pioneered GMK buy, and a deep thinker; therefore, if the comment is un-needed HE can just dismiss it; in the other hand the sarcasm is certainly un-neccesary.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 16:18:47 »
my 2c:

the color of the F5-F8 legends should be cyan instead of magenta (or whatever we're calling the legend colors)

also is this double shot or dye sublimated?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 16:20:17 »
my 2c:

the color of the F5-F8 legends should be cyan instead of magenta (or whatever we're calling the legend colors)

also is this double shot or dye sublimated?

Double shot, remember that sublimation is only possible in darker colors on clear color plastics.