Author Topic: Religion Therapy  (Read 28387 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Religion Therapy
« on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:32:23 »
Recent talk has brought up perhaps we need a place to discuss religion.

The mods said we could (see below quote) but please be civil.

As I said, I'd love to discuss this further, but this thread may not be the place for it.. depends on the OP I guess.

Going to second this. I think it's a very interesting debate to have, but having it in a thread that's supposed to be a safe space for Christians to share their faith may not be the most appropriate.

You all are free to start a religion debate thread if you wish, just please stay respectful of everyone's freedom to believe what they choose :thumb:

We won't agree and probably won't even like everything about each other but surely we can agree to disagree?
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:00:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Religion Therapy
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:33:50 »
So what's the point?

You wanna wear a pasta strainer on your head? Tell us about it.

Or maybe your just free loving, one day at time this is it man.

You might even like that Neil guy.

Whether you want freedom of religion or freedom from religion this is a place you can share your thoughts.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:36:46 by SpAmRaY »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:38:58 »
Curious: For those who've grown up with faith (doesn't matter the background) and are now in disbelief of any deity, what made you change your mind?

I'd particularly like to hear from those, if any, who've struggled with the possibility that there is no god but very much would like to believe in one.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:43:18 »
You changed the name of the thread so people would be more likely to post and that the chance of it creating drama would increase too?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:44:34 »
I shall be honest;

I don't give a flying fluck about any of it as long as people don't push their views on me they can pray to whatever deity they want.

I also don't think this should be on a keyboard forum too but that's just me.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 10:59:36 »
You changed the name of the thread so people would be more likely to post and that the chance of it creating drama would increase too?
The other thread was very specific and people were going off topic so this thread gives a place for some of the other discussion to continue.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:03:37 »
The other thread was very specific and people were going off topic so this thread gives a place for some of the other discussion to continue.
Spam I love you but, this is the off topic section and its a forum about keyboards this is never going to stay on topic or have any real meaningful discussion
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:08:30 »
My mother is extremely religious. She says and does things that I literally think are insane. It can be difficult for me to communicate with her. I also find the more religious she becomes, the more intolerant of others she becomes. I would think it would be the opposite. Like isn't it supposed to be about treating your fellow man with respect and kindness?

From my perspective, I think we all have the power to know right and wrong. I don't need to be threatened with hell to do be a good person.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:08:31 »
Alright **** it, idc what most people on here think of me anyway and I'm pretty salty about the way I've been treated here over the last few weeks anyway so I'm just gona come out with what I didn't say in the Christianity safe zone;

• I don't hate Christians, I pity you (as I do with all people who believe in magic, ghosts, gods, karma etc etc) there is a difference. Now when I replied to Ooobly's comment about Creationism vs Evolution and I was talking about extremist views I was talking about the specific idea that the world was created in seven days and that God created us all and we all come from Adam and Eve, the world is 7k years old etc etc etc... that is in my opinion, extreme. I wasn't trying to link ISIS to general Christians who like magic and monsters and all that stuff, just the ones that read something written in a book of nonsense and short stories where people live for hundreds of years as literal facts.
  • I find it hilarious that after I posted in the Christian Safe Zone thread about my own opinions, (I kept it generic and non-confrontational) and after I even defended your right and ability to have such a thread against someone who shared similar views to me, to not only get attacked by the guy causing an issue, but to then get shat all over by everyone else because I tried to call for reason and non-extreme views about actual ****ing facts LIKE THE FACT THE EARTH IS OLDER THAN 7000 YEARS OLD and had my posts equated to Christians = ISIS hurp-a-derp... like what the ****, I understand logic, reasoning and comprehension run counter to your whole life views by being Christians in the first place but if you could actually read what I said and attach it to the context of not only that post but the rest of the thread that was only two pages long, that would have been nice and possibly even the 'Christian' thing to do... but no... and hey **** it lets go after me when I post a random clear joke about Thanks Giving being so close and similar to the European Christmas celebrations....
  • And just so I'm not TOTALLY off topic, personally I feel that if you give money to Churches, Mosques, Temples or any organised religion you are part of the biggest evil that exists on this ****ty little planet. All religion does is further ignorance and stupidity. I feel like teaching children about Jesus and Moses and the Bible (or any other religion) in a way that pushes them towards said religion, is  child abuse (it's actually brain washing) and should be made illegal.

Well I've said my peace, I probably wont reply or follow this post up to much, idc if it get's deleted by a mod or stirs up drama and anger towards me but I felt like it needed saying so I said it. If your offended by my post or anything I've said (in regards to how I consider religious people), remind yourself that I'll probably suffer forever in what ever you think happens when you die and that my opinions are only my opinions.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:08:37 »
Spam I love you but, this is the off topic section and its a forum about keyboards this is never going to stay on topic or have any real meaningful discussion
Well not with that attitude! :P

Mods said somebody make a religion thread so I did.

Nobody wants to use it, it dies, nobody can follow rules mods can nuke it. :thumb:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:13:10 »
Religion is the cause of the worst **** in history.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:14:22 »

Alright **** it, idc what most people on here think of me anyway and I'm pretty salty about the way I've been treated here over the last few weeks anyway so I'm just gona come out with what I didn't say in the Christianity safe zone;

• I don't hate Christians, I pity you (as I do with all people who believe in magic, ghosts, gods, karma etc etc) there is a difference. Now when I replied to Ooobly's comment about Creationism vs Evolution and I was talking about extremist views I was talking about the specific idea that the world was created in seven days and that God created us all and we all come from Adam and Eve, the world is 7k years old etc etc etc... that is in my opinion, extreme. I wasn't trying to link ISIS to general Christians who like magic and monsters and all that stuff, just the ones that read something written in a book of nonsense and short stories where people live for hundreds of years as literal facts.
  • I find it hilarious that after I posted in the Christian Safe Zone thread about my own opinions, (I kept it generic and non-confrontational) and after I even defended your right and ability to have such a thread against someone who shared similar views to me, to not only get attacked by the guy causing an issue, but to then get shat all over by everyone else because I tried to call for reason and non-extreme views about actual ****ing facts LIKE THE FACT THE EARTH IS OLDER THAN 7000 YEARS OLD and had my posts equated to Christians = ISIS hurp-a-derp... like what the ****, I understand logic, reasoning and comprehension run counter to your whole life views by being Christians in the first place but if you could actually read what I said and attach it to the context of not only that post but the rest of the thread that was only two pages long, that would have been nice and possibly even the 'Christian' thing to do... but no... and hey **** it lets go after me when I post a random clear joke about Thanks Giving being so close and similar to the European Christmas celebrations....
  • And just so I'm not TOTALLY off topic, personally I feel that if you give money to Churches, Mosques, Temples or any organised religion you are part of the biggest evil that exists on this ****ty little planet. All religion does is further ignorance and stupidity. I feel like teaching children about Jesus and Moses and the Bible (or any other religion) in a way that pushes them towards said religion, is  child abuse (it's actually brain washing) and should be made illegal.

Well I've said my peace, I probably wont reply or follow this post up to much, idc if it get's deleted by a mod or stirs up drama and anger towards me but I felt like it needed saying so I said it. If your offended by my post or anything I've said (in regards to how I consider religious people), remind yourself that I'll probably suffer forever in what ever you think happens when you die and that my opinions are only my opinions.

No hard feelings at all and thanks for the response.

I'd rather read this response which has some explanation of where you are coming from and what you believe than get the wrong impression assuming you meant something else entirely. :D

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:18:19 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Base

this scares the **** out of me
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:20:51 »

I like how a book author cooked up his own religion.

Also, let us never forget.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:21:17 »
I'm a scientist, sceptic and Christian and believe all three are healthy models for experiencing, and interacting with, the world / universe.

I started to discuss the "science vs faith" issue in the other thread and would like to continue the discussion here.

In essence, I don't think science and faith are at odds at all since science requires faith. And faith can be scientific. I consider my own faith to be evidence-based and would say a lot of other Christians would be able to make the same claim.

I will quote my prior posts:

What is a
"Fact" is always a personal decision, based on evidence.

And:

"Proof" is a loaded version of the word "evidence". There are no proofs in science, just conclusions based on high probability due to a large body of convincing evidence. No scientific hypothesis can ever be "proven", only disproven by presenting evidence which cannot exist if the hypothesis is true. It all comes down to the evidence and always to a personal decision based on that. Every scientific "fact" requires belief. You look at the evidence and decide to believe the hypothesis or not. Even with something as "self-evident" as gravity.

In fact, faith is at the very core of science and the scientific method.

I don't think anyone should (or does) believe anything without evidence. As an example, if your parents tell you something is true, you have the evidence of previous statements by them being shown to match your experience of the world and you trust them. So you believe it. If you're naturally sceptical, like me, you look for evidence from what you experience to corroborate what they've told you. The same goes for any information you are presented with. You judge the source (trustworthy or not), look at the evidence and make a decision (or not, sometimes you judge there to not be enough evidence either way so you withold judgement and in some cases look for more evidence that either corroborates or opposes it).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:21:34 »

I attempted to watch that movie that recently came out about them but kept falling asleep.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:22:36 »

I attempted to watch that movie that recently came out about them but kept falling asleep.

You didn't "fall asleep". You got subliminal message brain ****ed.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:23:50 »

ooooh yeah i wanted to see that, thanks for the reminder. Completely forgot it was out

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:26:01 »

ooooh yeah i wanted to see that, thanks for the reminder. Completely forgot it was out

What's it called?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:27:47 »
Going Clear on HBO
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:28:22 »

What's it called?

a 3sec google search gave me this : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:32:54 »

The Crusades were bad. So was the Spanish Inquisition. Both were political agendas under the masquerade of a religious basis. Just because some people ****ed up in the past, does not give others a right to **** everything up now (Jihad bil Saif).

I don't think The Holocaust was caused by religion, even though a religious group was one of the major victims. Hitler was not a Christian, regardless of Whoopi Goldberg's opinion on the matter.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:33:53 »
Going Clear on HBO

Cheers, though can't see a way to watch it for uk people, besides clicking sketchy ****ing links on dailymotion

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:37:39 »

The Crusades were bad. So was the Spanish Inquisition. Both were political agendas under the masquerade of a religious basis. Just because some people ****ed up in the past, does not give others a right to **** everything up now (Jihad bil Saif).

I don't think The Holocaust was caused by religion, even though a religious group was one of the major victims. Hitler was not a Christian, regardless of Whoopi Goldberg's opinion on the matter.

Religion and politics were one in the same. Both motivated by the other. You can't separate the two, at least back then. Since religion was held
at such a power above all else, in those times. The lines are a bit clearer now, for the most part. If you can imagine the church holding more power
than the state, well that's pretty much how it was.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:38:46 »
I shall be honest;

I don't give a flying fluck about any of it as long as people don't push their views on me they can pray to whatever deity they want.

This is pretty much how I feel. I am not religious, it was never part of my upbringing and I've never had a desire to turn to it. I respect all religions equally - I just think maybe they have some very poor advocates :P

I think religion and faith should be a deeply personal thing - but it has turned into an "us" vs "them" world view. Keep your thoughts to yourself, live your life according to your beliefs, practice whatever rituals - but as soon as you start projecting on to others, that is when I start to lose respect (for the individual, not the religion). I have no problem with entertaining an educated discussion or even heated argument on the topic, but ultimately whether or not you choose to believe or practice any religion and the question "why" should not be one imposed on you, but one you decide for yourself. 
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:53:13 »
I shall be honest;

This is pretty much how I feel. I am not religious, it was never part of my upbringing and I've never had a desire to turn to it. I respect all religions equally - I just think maybe they have some very poor advocates :P

I think religion and faith should be a deeply personal thing - but it has turned into an "us" vs "them" world view. Keep your thoughts to yourself, live your life according to your beliefs, practice whatever rituals - but as soon as you start projecting on to others, that is when I start to lose respect (for the individual, not the religion). I have no problem with entertaining an educated discussion or even heated argument on the topic, but ultimately whether or not you choose to believe or practice any religion and the question "why" should not be one imposed on you, but one you decide for yourself.

very true,

the projection is what i have an issue with, not even with religion.

i went to some restaurant called Turning Point last weekend, the waitress came over and before taking our drink orders she did a little presentation on a Cancer Charity and put pamphlets on the table for a donation. (i know she was being forced to by the owners) but WTF, it was the most bewildering thing ever. I just waited 45 mins for a table and now i gotta hear about cancer kids dying before breakfast? and then try and guilt trip me for money by leaving the envelopes on the table... not cool

but yeah, whether your practicing religion or are vegan or like to murder people in your spare time... cool. im fine with it, just dont try and get me to stab people with you.

im sure the same could be said about us from our coworkers. "**** here comes Fred, hes gonna try and get us to press his clicky keyboard again" "dont look, dont look, dont look...." "HEY GUYS! MX BLUES TODAY! WANNA CLICK?!"  :blank:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:56:53 »
may the force be with all of you

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:05:13 »

• All religion does is further ignorance and stupidity.

how objective

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:06:46 »
... I understand logic, reasoning and comprehension run counter to your whole life views by being Christians in the first place ...

Please allow me to disagree with you on that point... In fact, it's very relevant to the points I made earlier. Specifically with regards to "Intelligent Design" vs "Evolution". The evidence that the universe and everything in it was designed rather than coming into being through whatever the latest proposed mechanism is, is in fact pretty strong. In fields ranging from information theory to molecular biology, mathematics and physics.

Speciation  or "macro evolution" (change from one species to another through) has no convincing evidence in support of it (there have been possible intermediate fossils found, but never a transitionary one). Don't confuse it with anagenesis / adaptation / "micro evolution" (which is what Darwin observed and formalised and does not increase systemic information), they are most certainly not the same, and no viable mechanisms have been proposed for speciation. All observed cases of the currently proposed mechanisms have resulted in loss of information and function rather than the opposite (fruit flies and e.coli bacteria) and experts in genetics have stated that it's highly unlikely that they would EVER result in beneficial traits, especially those that would require multiple mutations at the same time in the same specimen and even if there were, there simply has not been enough time (assuming 4.5 billion years) for it to be the cause if such wide speciation as we find on earth. There are also way too many components in animal structures which are "irreducibly complex" and could not possibly have evolved in the way it is claimed.

And there is no viable mechanism yet proposed for the "evolution" of the first living cells (biogenesis). Which is a whole other topic (informational content of DNA, interdependence of proteins and DNA in cell function and self-reproduction, etc).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:10:47 »
Oobly no offence but there is no way I can chat with about something like this when I just found this out today; did you know that Alonso scored more points in last years Ferrari (that was a total ****-box) than Kimi can possibly score this year (when Ferrari clearly have the second best car)?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:15:05 »
Oobly no offence but there is no way I can chat with about something like this when I just found this out today; did you know that Alonso scored more points in last years Ferrari (that was a total ****-box) than Kimi can possibly score this year (when Ferrari clearly have the second best car)?

And not only that, but he's crashed with Bottas twice recently (both times Kimi's fault) even costing Bottas a podium. Do I take this to mean that F1 is your religion?
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:16:05 »

And not only that, but he's crashed with Bottas twice recently (both times Kimi's fault) even costing Bottas a podium. Do I take this to mean that F1 is your religion?

nah just Lewis, he's so dreamy... and we could have sex in his own hot red jet

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:28:55 »
I shall be honest;

very true,

i went to some restaurant called Turning Point last weekend, the waitress came over and before taking our drink orders she did a little presentation on a Cancer Charity and put pamphlets on the table for a donation. (i know she was being forced to by the owners) but WTF, it was the most bewildering thing ever. I just waited 45 mins for a table and now i gotta hear about cancer kids dying before breakfast? and then try and guilt trip me for money by leaving the envelopes on the table... not cool

but yeah, whether your practicing religion or are vegan or like to murder people in your spare time... cool. im fine with it, just dont try and get me to stab people with you.

im sure the same could be said about us from our coworkers. "**** here comes Fred, hes gonna try and get us to press his clicky keyboard again" "dont look, dont look, dont look...." "HEY GUYS! MX BLUES TODAY! WANNA CLICK?!"  :blank:

Man..I'm cringing just thinking about not only being in your position, but in that girls position too  :-[

And I suppose if we are considering keyboards as a religion I am the biggest hypocrite ever  :p
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:31:06 »

But I see you're a disciple of Will Smith... Hopefully he allows such behaviour.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:34:02 »
I shall be honest;

very true,

Guys? <thinks - "maybe I should have brough the Ducky">

Good posts, both.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:34:03 »

But I see you're a disciple of Will Smith... Hopefully he allows such behaviour.

Lewis has a place in Miami, thus it is allowed

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:48:07 »

those who've grown up with faith (doesn't matter the background) and are now in disbelief of any deity, what made you change your mind?

I was extremely pious as a boy and even contemplated going into the clergy. But when I left home and went to college, I was exposed to a myriad of ideas that I had never contemplated before. I immediately turned my back on religion when I realized how unsatisfying and manipulative it was, but I remained somewhat of a disaffected agnostic for at least another decade.

For me, religion was always intellectual. Its role was to explain the universe to me. Even as a child I hated all the group gatherings, rituals, rules, singing, praying, etc. "Please stop all that crap and get to the important stuff." Religion and theology were (and are) one and the same to me. The way to evaluate a religion is to examine its theology in detail and see what part of it is true.

When religion began to become more heavily involved (during the 1970s or so) in social mechanisms such as politics, I became appalled and disgusted. When Reagan was elected in 1980 and the religious right came into ascendancy, the emptiness of their claims and messages struck me deeply. And the jealous hateful angry God of cruelty and punishment was not any sort of God that I would worship, even if I did believe that he was real.

I was forced to re-examine my beliefs and concluded that the entire concept of the Hebrew God as Creator and Sovereign was simply impossible and ridiculous. I did not "stop believing" rather it became impossible for me to believe in anything that was so obviously fabricated. Creation? Miracles? Plagues? Floods? Backwards floods? I don't think so.

And never in my lifetime, not even once, has anybody ever sat down, looked me straight in the eye, and said "I sincerely believe that God is real because .... " and followed it with anything of substance. (usually the because was some meaningless retarded crap like "I just feel it" or "You just have to believe" or "How could the world exist if nobody made it?" or some other meaningless fluff) Never. Honestly, at this point, I would describe the Hebrew God as an insult to the beauty of the universe.

But really, it was not until just a very few years ago when the true understanding of religion really hit me. It was, of all places, while reading a steampunk novelette called "The 72 Letters" by a Chinese-American writer (Ted Chiang). I finally realized that although religion had always been a strictly intellectually pursuit for me, for the overwhelming majority of people it is an emotional experience and what they "feel" when practicing it is what is important to them.

This hit me like a ton of bricks. I had never even imagined that it was supposed to be about feeling rather than thinking. And I still don't.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:44:47 »
Curious: For those who've grown up with faith (doesn't matter the background) and are now in disbelief of any deity, what made you change your mind?

I'd particularly like to hear from those, if any, who've struggled with the possibility that there is no god but very much would like to believe in one.
I just simply could not believe in some omnipotent being, some deity; it was a natural conclusion that I came to once questions of religion and belief started to crop up in my mind. I still believe in things that cannot be observed though. For example, I strongly believe that regions of land exert an influence over those who inhabit them, and I absolutely feel a connection to the land of my countries of origin, the land of my people. I understand there's no way I could prove this, but I know it to be true for me at this current moment in time. Perhaps it won't be like this for all of my life, but it is now.

I think this is perhaps a narrow-minded way of looking at it. It's correct, but it is a tiny truth in the huge question that is : "How has organised religion influenced the world?".

If you look at a specific region and go back a long time you will often see a very important transition - the transition from small, isolated communities that believe in local gods to larger communities that follow organised religion. The organised religion itself is usually the reason for this transition, the reason for the formation of larger communities. For example, Britain (excluding Ireland) was absolutely tribal when the Romans invaded in early AD. They killed the druids, and their invasion planted the seed for Celtic Christianity. It is this Christianity which eventually led to the formation of larger communities, eventually cities, culture and now civilization in Britain. This is just one example. You would find the same thing if you looked at Rome, except we do not really know so much about the organised religion that was spread, only that it wasn't Christianity.

One huge exception is Ancient Greece. They had no organised religion in the way that we know it, and their religious beliefs were spiritual and almost apolitical. They were also more rooted to the land. Now, there is one very interesting difference between ancient Greek culture and Western culture from Ancient Rome onwards : the striving for the infinite. I learned this only recently, but Ancient Greece was almost afraid of the infinite. They felt more comfortable within boundaries. I can only think of a few examples where this mindset manifested right now (I will try and get some others from a book when I can): Their mathematics stayed firmly away from the infinite, their settlements were bound by how far the eye could see (when constructing cities they would only build them to the point where you could just about see to the other side of the city with the naked eye), and their astronomy was absolutely confined to the finite. There's no way of us knowing, but I'm inclined to think that this may be linked in some way to their religious beliefs.

What I'm trying to say is : Religion has historically often resulted in the formation of larger communities, then the formation of villages, towns, cities, higher culture and finally civilization. It is through these groups of people formed by organised religion that both great and terrible things have been done. You're right in saying that religion has caused many atrocities, however I would argue that without it we would have very little that is great, that we would quite possibly not have civilizations. Perhaps we would still be tribal. Of course, much of our European culture is the result of religion. For example: art of the golden ages (renaissance, classical, romantic, etc.), classical music and grand architecture. These forms of art were deeply religious and I do think that, perhaps with the exception of music, they are far more meaningful and emotional than the overwhelmingly frigid and cold art and architecture of today. Of course, our European mindset and manners are the result of religion too.

--

Related to the point I was making above, but not to do with the argument..

I find this interesting : The Gnostics saw straying from local gods and smaller communities as a bad thing. They thought that it directly opposed the spiritual and mental connection to ones homeland and ones people.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2015, 23:16:58 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 01:16:04 »

I just simply could not believe in some omnipotent being, some deity; it was a natural conclusion that I came to once questions of religion and belief started to crop up in my mind. I still believe in things that cannot be observed though. For example, I strongly believe that regions of land exert an influence over those who inhabit them, and I absolutely feel a connection to the land of my countries of origin, the land of my people. I understand there's no way I could prove this, but I know it to be true for me at this current moment in time. Perhaps it won't be like this for all of my life, but it is now.

I think this is perhaps a narrow-minded way of looking at it. It's correct, but it is a tiny truth in the huge question that is : "How has organised religion influenced the world?".

If you look at a specific region and go back a long time you will often see a very important transition - the transition from small, isolated communities that believe in local gods to larger communities that follow organised religion. The organised religion itself is usually the reason for this transition, the reason for the formation of larger communities. For example, Britain (excluding Ireland) was absolutely tribal when the Romans invaded in early AD. They killed the druids, and their invasion planted the seed for Celtic Christianity. It is this Christianity which eventually led to the formation of larger communities, eventually cities, culture and now civilization in Britain. This is just one example. You would find the same thing if you looked at Rome, except we do not really know so much about the organised religion that was spread, only that it wasn't Christianity.

One huge exception is Ancient Greece. They had no organised religion in the way that we know it, and their religious beliefs were spiritual and almost apolitical. They were also more rooted to the land. Now, there is one very interesting difference between ancient Greek culture and Western culture from Ancient Rome onwards : the striving for the infinite. I learned this only recently, but Ancient Greece was almost afraid of the infinite. They felt more comfortable within boundaries. I can only think of a few examples where this mindset manifested right now (I will try and get some others from a book when I can): Their mathematics stayed firmly away from the infinite, their settlements were bound by how far the eye could see (when constructing cities they would only build them to the point where you could just about see to the other side of the city with the naked eye), and their astronomy was absolutely confined to the finite. There's no way of us knowing, but I'm inclined to think that this may be linked in some way to their religious beliefs.

What I'm trying to say is : Religion has historically often resulted in the formation of larger communities, then the formation of villages, towns, cities, higher culture and finally civilization. It is through these groups of people formed by organised religion that both great and terrible things have been done. You're right in saying that religion has caused many atrocities, however I would argue that without it we would have very little that is great, that we would quite possibly not have civilizations. Perhaps we would still be tribal. Of course, much of our European culture is the result of religion. For example: art of the golden ages (renaissance, classical, romantic, etc.), classical music and grand architecture. These forms of art were deeply religious and I do think that, perhaps with the exception of music, they are far more meaningful and emotional than the overwhelmingly frigid and cold art and architecture of today. Of course, our European mindset and manners are the result of religion too.

--

I find this interesting : The Gnostics saw straying from local gods and smaller communities as a bad thing. They thought that it directly opposed the spiritual and mental connection to ones homeland and ones people.

Photekq, you are very mature for your age.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 01:30:58 »
My two cents on this matter.  Personally I am agnostic.  However, I have zero issue with faith or spirituality, where my problem stems is the strict organization.  I feel that the deity of all religions and faiths is one and the same across the board.  If there is in fact one at all.  I guess my largest issues with religion stem from the fact that stories from religious texts are chances are no more than stories that got handed down through generations as ways of explaining what could not be explained.  Then comes the invention of writing.  When holy texts and such started getting put into written word, who wrote them.  The only people that could read and write at the time.  Spins and tweaks were probably made for the benefit of local communities.  This is where I feel that a lot of the strict rules come from.  You can't drink, have sex before married, yada yada yada. 

That being said, my wife has been a Christian for some time now, and recently has been studying and practicing as a Jehovahs Witness.  Now this sect off the Christian faith is off the wall in my opinion.  However, out of love and respect for my wife and her friends, I am very polite and respectful about it.  She doesn't push her views and try to convert me, and I don't do the same.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 08:07:42 »

--

I do agree with most of your points however religion was very different at these points of time from what it is today.

In the period of feudalism religion was used to make slavery and misery natural since God wanted "priests to pray for everyone, soldiers to fight for everyone and farmers to produce food for everyone". This was a common theme in history, abusing God to force people into slavery etc. It wasn't the loving God who formed these communities it was the God of wrath, scaring people into obeying priests or popes.

The biggest difference with the large communities in Antics and the ones after, was religion and slaves. Neither Antic Greece nor Rome were influenced by religion (Rome got introduced to Christianity in the downfall to unite the population in a "state religion"). The thing that build the world as we know it today are slaves. In the Antics slaves were the major source of income for both Rome and Greece and once they couldn't occupy more land resulting in no more slaves, it fell apart quite quickly. After the Antics, slavery was still a thing but just rebranded. Man was slave of God and indirectly slave under the church. The kings and queens of the middle age abused this to the best of their abilities resulting in better economy, and to the point we are at today.

The common theme is that it's the people abusing Religion who are the bad guys, not religion itself. However religion is not the reason we are at the point we are today, it's about the people abusing the unkown (not necessarily religion) to scare us into something uncomfortable. Therefore I have a hard time thanking religion for the society we have today, even though it had a big part in our history.

Soz for my grammar, Swedes no englando
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 08:42:44 »
While I'm not much of a historian, I think much of what you wrote rings true and if I understand your primary point, your suggesting that it's not necessarily religion that's the culprit, but rather people exploiting the power of religion to do bad things for personal gain.

Nietzsche believed Christianity to be a religion for slaves. Weak people who would prefer to be conquered and controlled rather than risk fighting for personal independence. In some ways I agree. Believers in Christ acknowledge their dependence on God's provision and forgiveness, and so will submit to God's lordship. The perspective being that compared to the Creator we are weak. Of course Nietzsche meant it more as an insult than a suggested way to live.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:19:27 »
While I'm not much of a historian, I think much of what you wrote rings true and if I understand your primary point, your suggesting that it's not necessarily religion that's the culprit, but rather people exploiting the power of religion to do bad things for personal gain.

Nietzsche believed Christianity to be a religion for slaves. Weak people who would prefer to be conquered and controlled rather than risk fighting for personal independence. In some ways I agree. Believers in Christ acknowledge their dependence on God's provision and forgiveness, and so will submit to God's lordship. The perspective being that compared to the Creator we are weak. Of course Nietzsche meant it more as an insult than a suggested way to live.
Yes that is basically my point, Christians now want to get to heaven, but Christians then just wanted to escape hell. Things that couldn't be explained got an easy explanation via religion (does not mean there isn't a creator). Religious people and atheists only bothers me when they discard facts, just because their believes says otherwise, or try to force belief onto others (all these facebook videos...).

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:27:36 »
Raised Jewish. Refused bar mitvah because I was into buddhism at age 13 (pissed family off). Married gentile in self-officiated ceremony (pissed family off). Refuse to practice any religion now, but do take part in "traditions" (ie food, gathering with family, etc).

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:40:42 »
Raised Jewish. Refused bar mitvah because I was into buddhism at age 13 (pissed family off). Married gentile in self-officiated ceremony (pissed family off). Refuse to practice any religion now, but do take part in "traditions" (ie food, gathering with family, etc).

oh to be a fly on the wall at that family discussion  :eek:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:42:17 »

--

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm on this subject (as you have so eloquently laid out), it seems rather presumptuous to label someone 'narrow-minded' based on a single
comment regarding my personal belief system. In fact, I do believe religion has brought some good to society. I do not believe that we as a species would not have come this far
without religion. If we are to believe in the values that some religions teach us, then this conflicts with your statement of 'we would have very little that is great', because what
makes humanity great is the acceptance of others beliefs and personal decisions (the condemnation of gays, abortion, etc).

This is a larger discussion that veers into the 'science versus religion' that we could spend an eternity on. I myself, am agnostic. I do not dispute the possibility of an omnipotent
being, but I rely on physical evidence rather than belief. I think religions are a way for humans to cope with their existence in the universe. How could we be the only intelligent
life in a universe so vastly infinite? If we are to believe what Christianity tells us, then the existence of the entire universe goes against all of it. There are things that exist in the
universe that we can't comprehend how they are possible. Quantum theory shows us a world that would not be possible without science, or a belief that there is more than what
religion tells us to believe.

So tl;dr - I am not against the thought of a 'God', but I just need to see the hard evidence. I am not condemning religion completely, but realistically, it has caused more irrational
thought and harm through the ages.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:45:53 by Bro Caps »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:43:02 »

Yep. It was ****ing UGLY. Haha. I knew how much money I was missing out on, too. They even said I could get enough to buy a car when I turned 16. Buddhist me was not interested. In fact, I was pretty much written out of my grandmother, aunt, parents' will at that point. Haha. They all came around eventually, though.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:49:50 »

In fact, I do believe religion has brought some good to society.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:59:45 »

Yep. It was ****ing UGLY. Haha. I knew how much money I was missing out on, too. They even said I could get enough to buy a car when I turned 16. Buddhist me was not interested. In fact, I was pretty much written out of my grandmother, aunt, parents' will at that point. Haha. They all came around eventually, though.

i love when parents use money to persuade in certain important situations. Its their last line of defense, once you refuse it, the look of bewilderment on their faces is that of a lost puppy. It normally turns to threats... after that mom cries.  Mom cries are the hardest to overcome. Once you get past the mom cries no amount of Bar Mitvah can make you more of a man than that.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 10:49:27 »