Author Topic: Not-So-Great Finds  (Read 50187 times)

Online pixelpusher

• Formerly known as reececonrad
Re: Not-So-Great Finds
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:57:04 »
Anyone wanna drop 10K on a rubber dome?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Vintage-PS-2-Keyboard-KB-3923-294318-006-New-Old-Stock/362426686642

I really love how it says "save big, free shipping" on the description.
:)

Online JP

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 09:52:58 »
Anyone wanna drop 10K on a rubber dome?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Vintage-PS-2-Keyboard-KB-3923-294318-006-New-Old-Stock/362426686642

I really love how it says "save big, free shipping" on the description.

I would love to literally drop an object that large on to a rubber dome.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Online pixelpusher

« Reply #352 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 15:29:26 »
Why does someone with 58,000 sales and 100% positive feedback list a rubber dome for $10,000?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2019, 15:33:22 by pixelpusher »

Offline derznation

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 15:46:09 »
Hey at least the economy shipping is free  :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 17:20:25 »
Why does someone with 58,000 sales and 100% positive feedback list a rubber dome for $10,000?

Hard to know. Those early-2000s Compaqs were really good rubber domes, but even $39.95 would be too high.
Inequality affects our physical and mental health, our ability to get along with one another and to make our voices heard and our political system accountable, and, of course, the futures that we can offer our children. Lately, we’ve noticed a feature of economic inequality that has not received the attention it deserves called “intellectual inequality.”
I do not refer to the obvious and ineluctable fact that some people are smarter than others but, rather, to the fact that some people have the resources to try to understand our society while most do not. Late last year, Benjamin Schmidt, a professor of history at Northeastern University, published a study demonstrating that, for the past decade, history has been declining more rapidly than any other major, even as more and more students attend college.
- Eric Alterman 2019

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:08:49 »
LOL. Yeah, that's pretty wild.

Considering it looks like an legit seller, otherwise, I'm guessing they got distracted and typed more digits than they realized into the ol' Price box. I'll drop them a note to find out, and will let you know what they say.
KEEB DISCLAIMER: My keeb recommendations are solely my own and do not represent the opinions of Geekhack, Massdrop, the Home Keeb Shopping Channel, or any other entity expressed, implied, or served with a light cheese sauce. Collectors should be cautious about any and all keeb investments. Various factors, including my own regularly occurring cluelessness, may influence how wise any particular keebly purchase may be. Collectors are advised to conduct their own independent research before making keeb-purchasing decisions. Past keeb performance is no guarantee of future keebliness.

Online pixelpusher

« Reply #356 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 00:12:38 »
I mean, if he meant to list it at $39.95 i might actually think about it.  It's a cool rubber dome.   

$15 might be more enticing though  :p

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 04:37:46 »
$ave BIG

FREE shipping

*giggle*
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122               IBM Model F XT
(review)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:07:04 »
No answer... Guess they're standing by their price. Maybe it's full of diamonds or something.
KEEB DISCLAIMER: My keeb recommendations are solely my own and do not represent the opinions of Geekhack, Massdrop, the Home Keeb Shopping Channel, or any other entity expressed, implied, or served with a light cheese sauce. Collectors should be cautious about any and all keeb investments. Various factors, including my own regularly occurring cluelessness, may influence how wise any particular keebly purchase may be. Collectors are advised to conduct their own independent research before making keeb-purchasing decisions. Past keeb performance is no guarantee of future keebliness.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 16:21:12 »
...... or something.
once received, open it up to retrieve the “something” to sell on the street and recoup your money.
Then you have one free keyboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 18:10:54 »
once received, open it up to retrieve the “something” to sell on the street and recoup your money... Then you have one free keyboard

Dang, why didn't I think of that?

BTW, it's important to remember that you should never clean an old keyboard you're selling. Don't even pass a damp rag over it before you take your photos... Some of that vintage grime can be valuable! Plus, it's easier.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #361 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 04:41:32 »
Also, dirt is a genuine certificate for a keyboard's age!
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122               IBM Model F XT
(review)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 13:25:55 »
once received, open it up to retrieve the “something” to sell on the street and recoup your money... Then you have one free keyboard

Dang, why didn't I think of that?

BTW, it's important to remember that you should never clean an old keyboard you're selling. Don't even pass a damp rag over it before you take your photos... Some of that vintage grime can be valuable! Plus, it's easier.

Dog chewed off an enter key? Pump that buy-it-now price up another six bucks, that's some GENUINE WEAR AND TEAR.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 15:06:09 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-DEKO-FAST-ACTION-KEYBOARD/333046836409?hash=item4d8b236cb9:g:a6UAAOSwYXpcENMb

This board was described as one of the best constructed mx boards ever. It should have vintage blacks. Maybe someone can talk the seller down on the price
So, logically, ALL of the time between NOW and SpaceRock, is the Test..

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #364 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 23:55:33 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-DEKO-FAST-ACTION-KEYBOARD/333046836409?hash=item4d8b236cb9:g:a6UAAOSwYXpcENMb

This board was described as one of the best constructed mx boards ever. It should have vintage blacks. Maybe someone can talk the seller down on the price

I agree, $283 + shipping is steep. But I think most of you would agree, it's interesting enough to have its own Great Finds thread—rather than going here, where we traditionally put the real dogs.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #365 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 23:58:28 »
Here's a 2014 thread about them, if anyone's interested.

Online JP

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 08:17:29 »
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/79077/heinz-canned-soup-big-red-tomato-salt-reduced

Terrible find.

Yeah that's just too expensive. When I need my tomato soup hit I just steal some ketchup packets from the fast food joint and add warm water and pinch of salt and pepper.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 09:57:40 »

Show Image

I agree, $283 + shipping is steep. But I think most of you would agree, it's interesting enough to have its own Great Finds thread—rather than going here, where we traditionally put the real dogs.

Fair! I wanted to make a Great Finds thread but obviously thought the price was not-so-great
So, logically, ALL of the time between NOW and SpaceRock, is the Test..

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
« Reply #369 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 04:33:39 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
NIB Model M (except it's used)
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:17:37 »
Old Stock IBM Model M F2 Keyboard Part Number 1391401 PS/2 (1988 Vintage)

212304-0

212306-1

Quote from: eBay seller
Condition: New other (see details)

"Was in original box when purchased and was bought as New old stock."

Looks like eBay needs a new category:

Condition: Seller thinks it's new, but they got taken

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Dyslexics Untie!
Model M 1395100 – free nicotine sludge!
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 02:30:50 »
IBM Lexmark 1395100 Model M PS/2 Mechanical Buckling Spring Keyboard AS-IS

BIN $85.00 + shipping

You may be thinking, "Okay, I suppose that's a reasonable price for a seldom-seen oddball Model M variant which Lexmark, for some arcane reason, gave a p/n that'd already been used for an SSK."

But wait—there's more! This particular keeb has had so much cigarette smoke blown on it, its barrel plate is coated with free nicotine sludge (zoom in for full effect):

The stuff can also be found oozing out in various other places:

Usually, one must coat one's own keebs with the sludge of their choice. But if you're looking for one that's been pre-infused with oily, stinky, toxic tobacco goop, what a value!

Offline fanpeople

Re: Model M 1395100 – free nicotine sludge!
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 03:49:14 »
IBM Lexmark 1395100 Model M PS/2 Mechanical Buckling Spring Keyboard AS-IS

Show Image

BIN $85.00 + shipping

You may be thinking, "Okay, I suppose that's a reasonable price for a seldom-seen oddball Model M variant which Lexmark, for some arcane reason, gave a p/n that'd already been used for an SSK."

But wait—there's more! This particular keeb has had so much cigarette smoke blown on it, its barrel plate is coated with free nicotine sludge (zoom in for full effect):

Show Image

The stuff can also be found oozing out in various other places:

Show Image

Usually, one must coat one's own keebs with the sludge of their choice. But if you're looking for one that's been pre-infused with oily, stinky, toxic tobacco goop, what a value!

hey hey hey hey wait just one minute. Buying that and scooping up that juciy nicotine sludge so as to  smoke it through a crack pipe would still be cheaper than buying cigarettes in Straya.