Author Topic: [IC] KAT Specimen (UPDATE: Spacebars and 40s)  (Read 2611 times)

Offline QQMBR

[IC] KAT Specimen (UPDATE: Spacebars and 40s)
« on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 06:46:26 »
209873-0

Featuring bold and vibrant colors, KAT Specimen is a new reverse dyesub PBT keyset. To introduce it best, here are a couple questions you
might have:

What is KAT?

In the words of the zFrontier website:
a brand new collection of high profile molds from Keyreative. Nineteen months of intense research, machining, and testing resulted in this delectably thick (1.658mm) sculpted design. Some inspiration also came from cats, as their claws provide an appealing slope to model keycap curves on.

Unlike SA, which can seem pointy and disproportionately tall on modern keyboards, KAT is smooth. Silky smooth. Superlatively smooth. Kat's concave keycaps don't stab or inhibit your fingertips during row jumps, nor do they have the gritty texture that one typically associates with PBT plastic. The characteristic dryness of PBT is present, but your fingertips won't be ground into submission by the substrate.

Some keycap sets make generic nods to sound quality, but premium audio design was a serious consideration in KAT profile. The interior walls of its keycaps are angled such that sound is reflected in a precise pattern. That should, when coupled with high wall thickness, provide sharp clicks and muted clacks.

Finally, KAT keycap tops have the same dimensions across each row. That's a vast visual improvement, but it also has a positive impact on muscle memory while touch typing.

Why KAT?

A flat profile just doesn't feel right for this set I think, so the decision was down to manufacturers who can
do either doubleshot or reverse dye-sub. Frankly, I think a lot of us are tired of SA and GMK, and since
trying out new, innovative things is always awesome, KAT felt like a natural choice (plus: KAT -> cat, and cats are awesome).

Why specimen?

The name came to me out of pretty much nowhere, and it just stuck. This set feels pretty hard to name anyhow, so I'm happy I have one.

What kits are there?

Glad you asked:

209921-1
The most basic of base kits. Should support pretty much all 60% to TKL keyboards, as with everything, if this is not the case for your preferred keyboard layout, please do tell me in the comments. Now with support for HHKB style layouts.

209863-2
A good splash of color for people wanting to spice up their TKL right hand side.

209865-3
Literally just keys for a numpad, explains itself.

209867-4
Some love for ISO gentle*insert gender here*.

209915-5
A couple of spacebars, if you're missing your preferred length, inform me somehow.

209913-6
Support for 40% percent keyboards. Currently only explicitly the minivan, what else do you 40% people need?

209871-7
Cheap ortho kit that works without the base kit. This type of kit received love in the past. Considering making the keys blank.

UPDATE 04/01/2019: Ergodox kit removed due to Keyreative's lack of 1.5u upright molds required for the ErgoDox.  :(

So those were the kits. Now, I am new to this stuff, (in fact, this is my first Geekhack post, please work, formatting) therefore, it is very likely that I missed something important. If you spot something you're missing, don't hesitate to tell me below, and/or use this google poll.

Other Info
I currently have colors selected from the pantone coated collection. zFrontier have told me these are less accurate on KAT keycaps due to their semi-matte finish. Pantone uncoated colors would be easier to match, but I quite heavily favor pantone coated right now, so it remains to be agreed upon what the exact colors are, however, I promise I'll do my best to bring out a set with colors as similar to these you see here as possible.

As you can see: I have one novelty as of now, would you be interested in more?

EDIT: Okay first question, someone pls, what the **** went wrong with color/numpad two images?
EDIT1: I thinks it's alright now. Lesson 1: Don't be a GH noob.

Banner thing, you know better than me how it works:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98810.0][img width=240 height=120]https://imgur.com/a/Jfx9wgh[/img][/url]
Update:
Will add HHKB-style split backspace and 1.5u delete keys.Thanks for pointing that out.

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2019, 06:16:33 by QQMBR »

Offline The_Boom_Boy

Re: [IC] KAT Specimen
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 07:02:23 »
Interesting

Online _ODIN_

• Figth for honor!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 07:25:03 »
Very interesting. Can you add a NorDe kit?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Online laserbeamspewpew

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 07:36:18 »
I like it.

Offline QQMBR

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 07:40:32 »
Very interesting. Can you add a NorDe kit?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

If there's enough interest, it should be possible.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 07:57:22 »
Those colors should look nice with Outemu Sky switches.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline nasp

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 09:16:57 »
Would be nice to see a split backspace (delete) option since that layout has become quite popular.

Online laserbeamspewpew

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 09:27:40 »
Needs HHKB backspace and tilde/delete.

Offline QQMBR

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:06:04 »
Needs HHKB backspace and tilde/delete.

Would be nice to see a split backspace (delete) option since that layout has become quite popular.

Thanks for pointing these issues out. I will add the keys:
1.5 u delete and 1u tilde.

Offline rowie

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:18:54 »
Nice work so far. Wish there is a center gradient kit for tkl and ortho kits. MT3 would be nice. Otherwise, good luck and hope this can be a reality.  :thumb:

Offline equalunique

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:40:19 »
Personally I would go with blank ortho mods that don't make assumptions about what keymap one's using, like the ergo mods.

Offline QQMBR

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 11:23:47 »
Nice work so far. Wish there is a center gradient kit for tkl and ortho kits. MT3 would be nice. Otherwise, good luck and hope this can be a reality.  :thumb:

Thanks a lot for your kind words, they do mean a lot. By center gradient, do you mean a longer one? I guess that could work on ortho, but with TKL the spacebar would be in the way. I talked to Matt3o about MT3, but they can't do reverse dye sub/ doubleshot just yet, which is a problem with the pink on purple part.

Personally I would go with blank ortho mods that don't make assumptions about what keymap one's using, like the ergo mods.

If enough people prefer that, it would certainly be a way to go.

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 11:43:47 »
interested, especially since i want to try KAT profile

Online _ODIN_

• Figth for honor!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 13:08:20 »
Please get samples of all the colors and the reverse dye subbing. I think every one here is OK with waiting a few more weeks for an improved product in the end.

Offline tskiller

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 14:56:14 »
I can dig it. I like the contrasting colors. Will there be support for 40% layouts like minivan?

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 21:01:31 »
Very interested in this. Yes please think of more novelties. Those really determine if I buy or not. It's always fun. Milkshake did awesome one that.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 01:54:39 »
Space bar kit? Split space bars?

Offline Vireca

Re: [IC] KAT Specimen (UPDATE: Spacebars and 40s)
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 05:34:36 »
I think im missing something for 65% keyboards, maybe is the non standard right shift

Offline QQMBR

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 06:17:42 »
I think im missing something for 65% keyboards, maybe is the non standard right shift

Thanks for the feedback, that's my bad, I added a 1.75u shift. Anything else?

Offline Vireca

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 04:34:50 »

Thanks for the feedback, that's my bad, I added a 1.75u shift. Anything else?
All fine now I think. Maybe you should check some Keyset´s IC form other designers, so you can see if you are missing something for the kits.

Do you know how much will cost the base kit more or less? There are few caps, so maybe the price can be around KAT Alpha?

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 02:50:33 »
I don't like the colourway so won't be joining if this gets to GB phase, though really appreciate you going for KAT profile - I've got KAT Alpha coming in this weekend and can't wait to try since both Huey & Quakemz gave it high praises. Best of luck  :thumb: