Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 606670 times)

Offline modulor

Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 21:37:12 »
I think it will support any standard alpha-num layout available, those of which are interchangeable among each other (as in, you can combine any R1 combo with any R2 combo, and with ANSI or ISO Enter cluster layout, etc.).  There is an option for the Right Shift/Fn cluster to have it [ 2.75 ] - [ 1 | 1.75 ] -or-  [ 1.75 | 1 ] as on the Left Shift you can either have ANSI [ 2.25 ] or ISO [ 1.25 ].  At least that's how I've understood it so far.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #301 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 21:42:56 »
Since he spec'd the grey layout as his baseline, looks like standard right shift is in. 

The fun part is going to be all the plate variations that people want :)

That should be fun for the person running that GB

:'(
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline modulor

« Reply #302 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:00:29 »
Since he spec'd the grey layout as his baseline, looks like standard right shift is in. 

I can't imagine there would have to be a plate design for every possible layout...that would be madness!  I'd say take a vote for the most popular 2-3 layouts.  If alot of people are doing this to have an ISO 60%, then that may be a popular choice, but you've gotta put your foot down somewhere! lol

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #303 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:07:25 »

I can't imagine there would have to be a plate design for every possible layout...that would be madness!  I'd say take a vote for the most popular 2-3 layouts.  If alot of people are doing this to have an ISO 60%, then that may be a popular choice, but you've gotta put your foot down somewhere! lol

I'll run any plate design if a .dwg is provided to me. However ordering just one or two is going to be ~$25 per plate even on a small plate.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline modulor

« Reply #304 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:27:29 »
Ah, well...people will likely still pay the premium for personal layouts.  That's cool of you to offer many options, though.  I'm pretty excited to get my Poker plate, I'm currently making a custom case for it out of wood, so the plate will add some extra weight.  ^-^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #305 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:29:40 »
Ah, well...people will likely still pay the premium for personal layouts.  That's cool of you to offer many options, though.  I'm pretty excited to get my Poker plate, I'm currently making a custom case for it out of wood, so the plate will add some extra weight.  ^-^

If you're ordering mine, about 1/3 of a lbs (based on volume of the plate x density of stainless steel)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #306 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 01:14:22 »
You should already have me down for 2 of these i hope. Though I have no clue where im getting cases for them.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #307 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 03:13:07 »

Question answering time!

Will is support a 1.5 0 1.5 spacebar 1.5 0 1.5 but without the short right shift/FN key?
Basically, yes. In practice if you put nothing between alt and ctrl, you'll have exposed holes in the pcb. The shift layout is independent from bottom row - see next quotes.
Depending on which plates will be produced, there may be one which covers the space between alt and ctrl or not. If there isn't, look at this post:
I'll run any plate design if a .dwg is provided to me. However ordering just one or two is going to be ~$25 per plate even on a small plate.

What layouts does it support? Is it like the 365 mini because that's the one I liked the most.
The best answer to this is this post:
I think it will support any standard alpha-num layout available, those of which are interchangeable among each other (as in, you can combine any R1 combo with any R2 combo, and with ANSI or ISO Enter cluster layout, etc.).  There is an option for the Right Shift/Fn cluster to have it [ 2.75 ] - [ 1 | 1.75 ] -or-  [ 1.75 | 1 ] as on the Left Shift you can either have ANSI [ 2.25 ] or ISO [ 1.25 ].  At least that's how I've understood it so far.
Let's make this official: three clusters, configurable independently by soldering switches to right places:
* enter zone: ANSI 2.25 enter and 1.5 "|\", ISO vertical enter with one key to the right of "
* left shift zone (2 options): ANSI 2.25, ISO 1.25 + 1u key
* right shift zone (3 options): ANSI/ISO 2.75, short 1.75 + 1u key to the right, short 1.75 + 1u key to the left
* bottom row (3 options): standard poker (3x1.25,6.25,4x1.25), model m (1.5,1,1.5,7,1.5,1,1.5), lysol (1.5,1.5,7,1.5,2x1,1.5).
For those of you who don't want to solder switches yourself I may provide a soldering service if I get enough orders to buy switches from cherry at sensible prices, or from 7bit.

Komar, if i'll already have plate for Poker will i be able to use it with standard ANSI GH60? I do remember reading in this thread about that Poker switchers are shifted a little bit or something like that. Did you take that into account with latest revisions?
So far the distances between switches are 19mm spot on. This is different than standard 19.05 and slightly different than poker, I think. Most probably I'll change it to be the same as in poker, but I can't promise anything.

Designing plates for all options is not a problem, there are only 18 of them, so it's a matter of designing a base drawing, then a total of 8 small parts for the 3 clusters and then someone has to sit down and copy and paste these clusters in 18 different variants.
I definitely think we should settle upon at most 2 different plates (I think model m style bottom row was considered), ISO and ANSI, to satisfy most people at lowest price, and then provide drawings for all of them, so that everybody can send them to The_Beast and get whichever option they want.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:36:17 by komar007 »
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #308 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 03:17:43 »
Thanks a ton for answering my question ^___^

There could be two plates, model m with no cutout for keys and then a "1.5 1 1.5 spacebar 1.5 1 1.5" option as well
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 03:20:43 by The_Beast »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 03:37:19 »
Let's make this official: three clusters, configurable independently by soldering switches to right places:
* left shift (2 options): ANSI 2.25, ISO 1.25 + 1u key
* right shift (3 options): ANSI/ISO 2.75, short 1.75 + 1u key to the right, short 1.75 + 1u key to the left
* bottom row (3 options): standard poker (3x1.25,6.25,4x1.25), model m (1.5,1,1.5,7,1.5,1,1.5), lysol (1.5,1.5,7,1.5,2x1,1.5).
For those of you who don't want to solder switches yourself I may provide a soldering service if I get enough orders to buy switches from cherry at sensible prices, or from 7bit.

There is a fourth cluster, you forgot the actual ISO or ANSI enter.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 04:08:23 »
There is a fourth cluster, you forgot the actual ISO or ANSI enter.

Sorry, of course. I'll edit when I come back home.

EDIT: edited
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:36:37 by komar007 »

Offline nebo

« Reply #311 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:40:17 »
With all those options there would be nothing wrong if I used the model m bottom row and just didn't put in meta keys right? Otherwise it looks like I'd just be getting a poker more or less.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:53:25 »
With all those options there would be nothing wrong if I used the model m bottom row and just didn't put in meta keys right?
Correct.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #313 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:11:32 »
Great work, komar077!

The idea of programmable compact keyboard intrigues me very much.
I'd like to take one PCB at least to replace my Poker's ****ty firmware.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #314 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:13:30 »
I think I said I was down for one, I'd definitely be in for at least 2 now that I see all the layout options

Offline nebo

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:14:58 »
With all those options there would be nothing wrong if I used the model m bottom row and just didn't put in meta keys right?
Correct.
Great! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get a case for that . . . .

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:17:25 »
Correct.
Great! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get a case for that . . . .

Well the standard pastic poker case should work. There is also, treb, oneproducts and imsto's poker cases that would all be great with this board

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #317 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:23:04 »
Correct.

Well the standard pastic poker case should work. There is also, treb, oneproducts and imsto's poker cases that would all be great with this board

Although we can't be sure that any of those fit for sure, right? Just because this is made to fit the case of the Poker, and those other cases fit the Poker PCB does not directly imply that the GH60 will fit in those other cases. I really hoe they will though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #318 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:29:03 »
Correct.

Although we can't be sure that any of those fit for sure, right? Just because this is made to fit the case of the Poker, and those other cases fit the Poker PCB does not directly imply that the GH60 will fit in those other cases. I really hoe they will though.

I was pretty sure that komar007 was designing the PCB to fit those cases. I'll wait for komar007 to confirm tho

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 10:32:20 »
Well, if you send me those cases, you can be pretty sure it'll fit all of them. Otherwise It'll fit the kbc poker case for sure, and others maybe;)

Offline nebo

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 11:04:43 »
Correct.

I was more wanting the meta key covered and I'd prefer an aluminum case which would be pretty much just me. I'm not sure if I could keep it as one piece and just slide the pcb in, would have to work on a design for it.

Offline neeb

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 14:11:10 »
Hey jdcarpe, are you still around? It would be nice if you could update the original post now that we have a lot of information finalized :D

Edit: We should also update the IC list
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 14:29:37 by neeb »

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 04:47:10 »
I have quite the interest in said board.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 05:43:11 »
I finally borrowed a decent pair of calipers, and it appears that not only was mine crap, but the 30cm ruler I used all the time was a milimeter off... Crazy.
Finally everything adds up, I'm also changing keyswitch spacings to 19.05 (.75"), it seems the poker and basically everything else is compatible with it.

Offline ZcHuer

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 06:20:37 »
Would be very interested!

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 18:29:35 »
I would personally like it to be a 65-70% with the function row or an extra column, but that may just be me.
There's a thread for that...It's called the KS Mini. :P

And where might said thread be?
Sounds interesting...
Logitech G710+

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 18:31:05 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:25:21 by esoomenona »

Offline ferociousfingerings

Logitech G710+

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:55:19 »
Very interested. 60% ISO Keyboard, Awesome!  :eek:
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:54:31 »
I'd love to put my name down for one, only thing holding me back is the proposed smaller right shift and it not being the normal 2.75 width..
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:29:20 »
I'd love to put my name down for one, only thing holding me back is the proposed smaller right shift and it not being the normal 2.75 width..
The smaller right shift is just an option. The other option is normal 2.75 shift. It's you to decide by soldering the switch in the right place.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:32:58 »
Well if we're listing interested parties, colour me interested!

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:37:22 »
The smaller right shift is just an option. The other option is normal 2.75 shift. It's you to decide by soldering the switch in the right place.

Put me down as interested then :)
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:08:05 »
In for a couple

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 14:20:38 »
Thanks for all the interest. I hope I'll be able to deliver this project to you at a sensible price which won't make people jump off the list;)
I think I've finally figured out the mounting hole placement and other dimensions, so there's not that much left to do.
It's a shame that so much depends on the assembler and pcb fab, but the good news is there's one full-service company like 20 minutes walk from my house, so if they can do a sensible job with pcb and soldering, working with them should be easier and faster than doing it all over mail.

Do you also have the center threaded insert in your poker cases?
I noticed it's missing from some cases, and there's no hole for it in the pcb. Anyway, I made that hole in GH60, it may be useful for better support.

Offline modulor

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 15:00:48 »
Thanks for all the interest. I hope I'll be able to deliver this project to you at a sensible price which won't make people jump off the list;)
I think I've finally figured out the mounting hole placement and other dimensions, so there's not that much left to do.
It's a shame that so much depends on the assembler and pcb fab, but the good news is there's one full-service company like 20 minutes walk from my house, so if they can do a sensible job with pcb and soldering, working with them should be easier and faster than doing it all over mail.

Do you also have the center threaded insert in your poker cases?
I noticed it's missing from some cases, and there's no hole for it in the pcb. Anyway, I made that hole in GH60, it may be useful for better support.

First off, thank you so much for all your hard work to pull this project together and keep it organized, komar!  The 'center threaded insert' is standard on the Pure, added for extra support, but not on the Poker (though it is an easy upgrade to drill a hole in the PCB).  I know some members have done this already, and I'll probably try it at some point.  No harm in adding it - it's easy to add an insert to a stock Poker case, too.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 15:04:46 »
Looking forward to some pricing estimate. Need to know if I can afford more than 1 or not. :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 15:05:55 »
Looking forward to some pricing estimate. Need to know if I can afford more than 1 or not. :)

Same here, I know I want a model m layout, but I might want a standard poker layout too. That way I can sell my poker, get this, and program my own layers ^__^

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 18:35:34 »
I need to ask something stupid...

To have a complete Keyboard with this pcb, i need a case (easy to get aluminium group buy or an original one), switches and keycaps (easy to buy).
But what about keys that need stabilizers?

If i don't want to use a plate to mount the switches on, i cannot use that: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-plate-mounted-stabilizer-clips-2pcs.html
so how to solve the problem? extra switches under the keys?

thank you

Offline ZcHuer

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:22:22 »
Would you please put me in the list? Would be really interested in a GH customized KB. =)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 00:11:47 »
I'd like two, please.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 01:05:27 »
Okay I'm definitely interested in the IDEA, but until we have a price estimate I wouldn't add my name to the list.

Really want a 60% board though.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:56:27 »
Add me to the interested list, still curious on price but can plan for it.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #343 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:08:24 »
But what about keys that need stabilizers?

You don't want extra switches, that's extra force and at least on the space bar doesn't help at all.  You either hunt up what you're in need of or hope for another one of these.  Of course the PCB needs to support PCB mount stabs, I don't recall the PCB design off my head.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:10:01 »
Can we order cherry stabilizers from anywhere? I know you can get costar stabilizers from WASD, but I have no idea where to get cherry stabilizers

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:29:42 »
Mouser.com might carry them.

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:31:36 »
Yeah, I was just about to say Mouser. I think I've seen someone write that Mouser has them, but I can't seem to find them myself. I might just be bad at looking though.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:35:13 »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:39:06 »
Mouser's are all 2x plate mount.

OnlineComponents carries the 2x PCB mount.

Then you need to figure out what to do about the space bar.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:13:36 »
Mouser's are all 2x plate mount.

OnlineComponents carries the 2x PCB mount.

Then you need to figure out what to do about the space bar.

use the 2x parts and have someone make a new wire like was done for the phantoms