Author Topic: The Living PCB Design Thread  (Read 382426 times)

Offline a-c

Re: The Living PCB Design Thread
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 17:59:17 »
Page 1 of datasheet indicates parts using ext clock come with bootloader installed.

Page 422 do no get the part setup for internal RC.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-7766-8-bit-AVR-ATmega16U4-32U4_Datasheet.pdf

edit: found latest datasheet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 18:04:05 by a-c »

Offline hanya

« Reply #651 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:43:07 »
This is my first time trying to design a keyboard PCB, but I have some experience doing small circuits before. I just want to do a bit of a sanity check and see if I've done any easy traps for beginners. I've tried to make all the capacitors close as can be for any VCC pins, as well as keeping every thing short and neat as possible too. I've also done all the placements according to the plate builder's DXF drawing, then aligning centres on both Eagle CAD and Fusion360.

Show Image

You should avoid tracks under the crystal, even the another layer of the board. It might make your system unstable by the unstable clock or some noise.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #652 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:24:33 »
This is my first time trying to design a keyboard PCB, but I have some experience doing small circuits before. I just want to do a bit of a sanity check and see if I've done any easy traps for beginners. I've tried to make all the capacitors close as can be for any VCC pins, as well as keeping every thing short and neat as possible too. I've also done all the placements according to the plate builder's DXF drawing, then aligning centres on both Eagle CAD and Fusion360.

Show Image

You should avoid tracks under the crystal, even the another layer of the board. It might make your system unstable by the unstable clock or some noise.
And you should avoid vias on the USB traces. It doesn't mean it's not gonna work but it's recommended to avoid that nonetheless.

If I were you, sparrows89, I would rotate the m32u4 90° clockwise and put the crystal (with its capacitors) to the right of the MCU, right below the USB port. That would also give you the opportunity to shorten the D-/D+ traces a bit.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline senso

« Reply #653 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 05:56:51 »
I would add that the traces for the columns are very thigh, are you sure its manufacturable by your pcb shop, because it looks to be under 6 mils, and you could/should make the traces larger, at least 10 mils.

Offline sparrows89

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 16:12:02 »
Thanks for the advice everybody, especially with avoiding traces over a crystal and avoiding vias on the USB lines. I had to go back to the drawing board just a bit, but there's no shame in doing so if it means a better working board. My plan is to make an ortholinear with Kailh PG1232 in the future, this is just the first step to gaining that confidence! Next up is ordering boards, a solder paste stencil and borrowing a hot air rework station!

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #655 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:50:42 »
Hey guys, does anyone know where I can find a 7u spacebar footprint for KiCAD?

Offline marhalloweenvt

Led Lightning Power
« Reply #656 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 14:12:21 »
Sorry for this dumb question but i can't figure it out by myself. I am desing a new TKL PCB. I want to have backlight led (white color) for every switch. How do i manage for every led? Each led draws 20 mA and around 3V. Which component do i need to use? Transitor, mosfet, ......

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #657 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 14:34:46 »

ai03 has hybrid footprints but you can try out all of these - here
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #658 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 17:58:28 »

ai03 has hybrid footprints but you can try out all of these - here

Thanks!  That has everything I need. 

Edit:  Actually, I got one more question for you guys.  I'm trying to build an ortho board that fits in a 60% case.  Is there an easy way to figure out where the USB port and mounting holes have to go?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2018, 21:46:01 by shensmobile »

Offline boomgopher

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:19:49 »
Edit:  Actually, I got one more question for you guys.  I'm trying to build an ortho board that fits in a 60% case.  Is there an easy way to figure out where the USB port and mounting holes have to go?

There's probably other sources, but I used this PCB as a reference for USB and holes, measurements are in editor:
https://easyeda.com/ai03/Lunar_Keyboard_MK3-6c51a037bbac4cab8287488cca35ebb9

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #660 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 19:28:54 »
I'm following the the popular github guide, but extrapolating to an 86key layout. While creating the schematic, I can connect Rows/Columns to any Port pin on the Atmega? (PB, PB, PD, PE and PF?)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 03:53:42 »
I can connect Rows/Columns to any Port pin on the Atmega? (PB, PB, PD, PE and PF?)
Sure, as long as you configure your firmware accordingly.

« Reply #662 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 05:12:43 »
I can connect Rows/Columns to any Port pin on the Atmega? (PB, PB, PD, PE and PF?)
Sure, as long as you configure your firmware accordingly.

Awesome, thank you!

Not even remotely close to that point yet. That's a problem for future me.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 05:26:24 »
Although, some pins are reserved for special purposes (off the top of my head the PE2/HWB on the m32u4). The datasheet for your MCU will explain thoroughly. When in doubt, just ask.

Offline regack

« Reply #664 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:33:01 »
Can anyone explain in better wording what this means (from the ATMEGA32U4 datasheet):

• HWB – Port E, Bit 2
       HWB allows to execute the bootloader section after reset when tied to ground during external
       reset pulse. The HWB mode of this pin is active only when the HWBE fuse is enable. During normal
       operation (excluded Reset), this pin acts as a general purpose I/O.

I just... don't understand what it's telling me.  Basically, can I actually use this pin, and not tie it to ground, but still get to the bootloader with the physical reset switch for reprogramming, like I've been doing for the last ~5 years? :)

Offline vvp

« Reply #665 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:18:22 »
You cannot use HWB pin without a pull down resistor(*) to ground if you want to run the bootloader after pressing the reset button. During the time the reset button is pressed the voltage on HWB pin must be below 0.2*Vcc - 0.1. In case of Vcc=5V, it must be below 0.9 V. Otherwise your 5 year old bootloader on reset feature will disappear.

(*) The pull down resistor may be already there on the breakout PCB. Check it's schematic.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #666 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 06:42:10 »
Can anyone explain in better wording what this means (from the ATMEGA32U4 datasheet):

• HWB – Port E, Bit 2
       HWB allows to execute the bootloader section after reset when tied to ground during external
       reset pulse. The HWB mode of this pin is active only when the HWBE fuse is enable. During normal
       operation (excluded Reset), this pin acts as a general purpose I/O.

I just... don't understand what it's telling me.  Basically, can I actually use this pin, and not tie it to ground, but still get to the bootloader with the physical reset switch for reprogramming, like I've been doing for the last ~5 years? :)
It is my understanding that PE2/HWB is only used during a reset routine but it requires a pull down resistor (and I've seen both 1 and 10 KOhm here), meaning that you can actually use it as GPIO, if you can live with the resistor. What I get from this is that you'd better use it as a output pin, with something that already requires a 1 or 10 KOhm resistor, say a LED, rather than as input for it might eventually trigger the reset routine. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline vvp

« Reply #667 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:56:17 »
Well, I would be careful with putting LED on HWB in series with the original pull down resistor. Forward voltage of LEDs is typically more than 0.9V. It is not a big deal though since LEDs conduct some current even below the forward voltage. But if you are unlucky and some interference kicks in then you may not enter the bootloader when you wanted to. If that happens then you would just press the reset button again and again untill the bootloader is entered. You should eventually get there.

After the MCU boots, there is no problem using HWB pin for GPIO (whether input or output ... it does not really matter). The rest of the circuit just cannot mind the pull down resistor there. Most of the time it does not matter. It only increases the power consumption a tiny bit. I used HWB as GPIO myself. It works without any problems (if the rest of the circuit does not mind the pull down there).

E.g. if your keyboard matrix scanning works with pull downs and shortening through switches to the Vcc (instead of to GND as it is common) then you can perfectly use HWB pin as one of the keyboard matrix scanning pins. You would need the pull down there anyway. This is one of the cases when HWB use does not even increase the power consumption.
In other cases, when the ideal circuit does not use pull up nor pull down then you often can add a pull down. In such a case it only increases the power consumption a bit. If the rest of the circuit requires a pull up there then you course you cannot use HWB pin (and keep the boot loader on reset feature).

Offline regack

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 10:06:52 »
Ahhh, okay, I understand now, thanks.  I can work with this... I'll just get creative with making sure I can either 1) use it as GPIO with the pull down, or 2) just add some kind of switching for when I need/want to be able to reset to bootloader.  It's not like I'm constantly reprogramming things.   

Thanks for the insight. 

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 11:02:11 »
Well, I would be careful with putting LED on HWB in series with the original pull down resistor. Forward voltage of LEDs is typically more than 0.9V. It is not a big deal though since LEDs conduct some current even below the forward voltage. But if you are unlucky and some interference kicks in then you may not enter the bootloader when you wanted to. If that happens then you would just press the reset button again and again untill the bootloader is entered. You should eventually get there.

After the MCU boots, there is no problem using HWB pin for GPIO (whether input or output ... it does not really matter). The rest of the circuit just cannot mind the pull down resistor there. Most of the time it does not matter. It only increases the power consumption a tiny bit. I used HWB as GPIO myself. It works without any problems (if the rest of the circuit does not mind the pull down there).

E.g. if your keyboard matrix scanning works with pull downs and shortening through switches to the Vcc (instead of to GND as it is common) then you can perfectly use HWB pin as one of the keyboard matrix scanning pins. You would need the pull down there anyway. This is one of the cases when HWB use does not even increase the power consumption.
In other cases, when the ideal circuit does not use pull up nor pull down then you often can add a pull down. In such a case it only increases the power consumption a bit. If the rest of the circuit requires a pull up there then you course you cannot use HWB pin (and keep the boot loader on reset feature).
Great explaination, as always. Thanks vvp.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #670 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:26:55 »
Hi

Which micro-controller do you recommend to use more the atmega32u4 or the AT90USB1286 for my keyboard pcb and why? finaly is there any different things needed to set up the AT90USB1286 in the schematic/PCB

thanks

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #671 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:32:57 »
Which micro-controller do you recommend to use more the atmega32u4 or the AT90USB1286 for my keyboard pcb and why?
Depends on your needs. Both controllers are widely supported by the most popular firmwares around so you don't have to write any code yourself (aside for config, matrix and keymaps).

is there any different things needed to set up the AT90USB1286 in the schematic/PCB
Different things from the m32u4 you mean?

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #672 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:38:04 »
Which micro-controller do you recommend to use more the atmega32u4 or the AT90USB1286 for my keyboard pcb and why?
Depends on your needs. Both controllers are widely supported by the most popular firmwares around so you don't have to write any code yourself (aside for config, matrix and keymaps).

is there any different things needed to set up the AT90USB1286 in the schematic/PCB
Yes from the 32u4

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:13:28 by e11i0t23 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #673 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:42:27 »

Yes from the 32u4
When in doubt, datasheets are your friends. In my experience, they pretty much need the same discrete components to run, you can check the schematics of the Teensy 2.0 and the Teensy++ 2.0.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #674 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:44:11 »
Thank you for your help I think as I don't need the extra pins of the at90 illngo with the atmega32u4 as it's half the price

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:13:10 by e11i0t23 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #675 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:54:19 »
Thank you for your help I think as I don't need the extra pins of the at90 illngo with the atmega32u4 as it's half the price
You're welcome, and I honestly believe a m32u4 is enough for most things.
Do consider that you can design a 11 * 11 matrix out of it for a total of 121 inputs, or even a 12 * 12, if you don't need LEDs.
That's pretty much my approach here.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #676 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:56:15 »
You're welcome, and I honestly believe a m32u4 is enough for most things.
Do consider that you can design a 11 * 11 matrix out of it for a total of 121 inputs, or even a 12 * 12, if you don't need LEDs.
That's pretty much my approach here.
Deffiently plenty for a 40% as well as the tkl I am working on

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:13:00 by e11i0t23 »

« Reply #677 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 16:46:56 »
I can just grab the default M2 screw holes from the Kicad's basic mounting hole library and that should be fine yeah?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 May 2018, 12:43:33 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #678 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 14:23:57 »
I can just grab the default M2 screw holes from the Kicad's basic mounting hole library and that should be fine yeah?
In the ISO metric screw thread standard, the number in the screw size matches the maximum diameter allowed. So basically, for a M2 screw, you just need a 2mm hole.

« Reply #679 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 21:16:45 »
Alright PCB and components ordered! Wish me luck guys!!

Offline regack

« Reply #680 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 18:18:47 »
Alright PCB and components ordered! Wish me luck guys!!

With a 40% you'd be fine with an m32u2 even.  Good luck, and have fun! 

Offline iaso

« Reply #681 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 06:59:04 »
Trying to find out if I can run a  6x15 matrix of an atmega32u4 qfp44. I have this crazy keyboard idea in mind, but no space running a controller board. Figured I'd integrate everything.

If the above is too big of a matrix for the atmega32u4, what would be the maximum matrix size I can run with this chip?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 08:50:39 »
Trying to find out if I can run a  6x15 matrix of an atmega32u4 qfp44. I have this crazy keyboard idea in mind, but no space running a controller board. Figured I'd integrate everything.

If the above is too big of a matrix for the atmega32u4, what would be the maximum matrix size I can run with this chip?
I made a 11*11 matrix with three dedicated LED indicators out of a m32u4. It's opensource for you to have a look (link).

« Reply #683 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 19:31:59 »
How can I determine where the mounting holes in KiCAD will be in order to place screw posts in FreeCAD?

« Reply #684 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 02:30:11 »
Just arrived! Looks beautiful! No idea if it's going to work, I don't even know when I'm going to have a minute to solder all the components, but it looks beautiful at least!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #685 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 10:38:56 »
Just arrived! Looks beautiful! No idea if it's going to work, I don't even know when I'm going to have a minute to solder all the components, but it looks beautiful at least!
Where did you order your PCB? Also, which github guide were you following?

TIA!

« Reply #686 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 14:47:01 »
Where did you order your PCB? Also, which github guide were you following?

TIA!

You can find a ton of places online that will make a pcb if you send them the files. there are quite a few tutorials online as well. I would just google search and you should be able to find one that works best for you!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 18:44:31 by dead_pixel_design »

« Reply #687 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 17:54:42 »
Was looking over my PCB to verify my traces and noticed two VCC pads I forgot to via to my connected VCC trace, one that connects out to a cap but not connected to anything else. Is this going to be an issue? I could always just jumper them in if I need to, but hoping it is not going to cause any issues...?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 04:26:41 »
It may work but you better connect all vcc/avcc pins to power source. I had a problem without giving avcc(44) power when programming flash(I can't remember it was ISP or USB bootloader), IIRC.
Asumming the mcu is ATMega32u4 note that pin 44 is actually AVCC, not VCC and I think it is not connected internally, also pin 2 is UVCC. Not ciritical for you design in fact, though, you may want to check datasheet for next interation.

When any ratsnest lines are drawn in the CAD as your pic shows it means that you don't finish routing tracks yet. And DRC must be always your good friend, you would receive waring for the unconnected pads from it in this case.

« Reply #689 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 13:57:52 »
It may work but you better connect all vcc/avcc pins to power source. I had a problem without giving avcc(44) power when programming flash(I can't remember it was ISP or USB bootloader), IIRC.
Asumming the mcu is ATMega32u4 note that pin 44 is actually AVCC, not VCC and I think it is not connected internally, also pin 2 is UVCC. Not ciritical for you design in fact, though, you may want to check datasheet for next interation.

When any ratsnest lines are drawn in the CAD as your pic shows it means that you don't finish routing tracks yet. And DRC must be always your good friend, you would receive waring for the unconnected pads from it in this case.

I will get it jumpered. I had them via'd not sure when I went it and broke the connection, but was probably some last minute clean up I forgot to correct before shooting it off to the printer. I appreciate the info, I have already fixed it in my design file so once I know everything else works on the prototype board the final print will be corrected.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #690 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:24:57 »
i am currently designing a pcb similar to the atreus. But I don't know how to tilt the parts in the KiCad pcb design software.

Thanks in advance

« Reply #691 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:30:18 »
i am currently designing a pcb similar to the atreus. But I don't know how to tilt the parts in the KiCad pcb design software.

Thanks in advance

If you use 'e' to edit the footprint you want rotated, you can select the 'other' radial menu and input the degrees of rotation you need. For example you can get an angled rotation with a value of 450

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #692 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:54:58 »

Thanks in advance

If you use 'e' to edit the footprint you want rotated, you can select the 'other' radial menu and input the degrees of rotation you need. For example you can get an angled rotation with a value of 450
thank you

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #693 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 04:02:33 »

Thanks in advance

How much space do I need to leave between each individual switch ?

Sry for all my qustions

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #694 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 04:49:39 »
How much space do I need to leave between each individual switch ?
Depends on the switch size. 1u are 19.05mm (0.75'') away from each other.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #695 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 04:15:05 »
I have to be annoying again. Sorry

When I change the space to 19.05mm between the individual switches they aren't aligned properly anymore. (the collum with K30, K31, K32 .....
https://imgur.com/ysyQhye

Thanks a lot in advance

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #696 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 04:34:53 »
When I change the space to 19.05mm between the individual switches they aren't aligned properly anymore.
I believe it's a sofware limitation. Try putting them in a column then select all of them and rotate them to your liking.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #697 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:59:56 »
When I change the space to 19.05mm between the individual switches they aren't aligned properly anymore.
I believe it's a sofware limitation. Try putting them in a column then select all of them and rotate them to your liking.
I can only rotate a group by 90 degrees.

« Reply #698 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:39:49 »
I can only rotate a group by 90 degrees.

It's not elegant, but you might be able to go into settings and change the rotation amount globally to whatever you need for the group. As far as I know KiCAD doesn't allow arbitrary rotation of a group of footprints. Google might know better though.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #699 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 02:46:52 »
When I rotated the thumb cluster for the ErgoDox I did it externally from Kicad. I first did the layout in Kicad, saved the file, and then wrote a script that rotated everything by as much as I needed. The Kicad files are fairly easy to manipulate.